Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lady of the Books

Started by visualspice, July 13, 2013, 09:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Averella blinked at his outburst.
"That is something that is most curious. How did you manage to transform into a human, anyway?" she asked simply, eyes large in curiosity. She hadn't quite put two and two together that the potions from the old hags had done it; or, rather, at least in that moment, her mind was too much in a whirl for her to remember that fact!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

"Obviously, those creepy old hags were jealous of my awesomeness and stole it from me! " Urtok half-whined. And then he had an afterthought, "Orrr it might have been a side-affect of one of those dozens of potions I helped myself to before we left their shop." He frowned at her, "Don't give me that look! I was hungry!"

He narrowed his eyes at her, "And what about you? Those hags keep calling you 'Ancient One' and wanna eat your bones and stuff. You told me you weren't a vampire! What's older than a vampire? A ghost? You're a little too solid to be one of those though."

visualspice

Averella blinked and went quiet at his questioning.
"Well, you see it's a very complicated situation to explain," she began. "But really, now isn't the time to worry about that.." she said, her mind ina  frenzy. "How many of those potions did you eat!?" She said, sweating over the possibilities that could still be brewing within him, but then at the silence out side of the cart, she blinked and lifted her head.
"Do you hear that?" Still, it was silent. She smirked. "Come on, I think the coast is clear." And she peered out through the hay stack, only to gasp again as she clung onto Urtok.

Her eyes were wide in fright and fear,a nd most of the cart was enveloped in it's shadow, as the MASSIVE insect from earlier was standing just a few feet away from the cart, munching away on some guard. And a moment later, it's helmet clattered to the ground as Averella let out a scream.

It seemed the bug didn't take too kindly to the noise as it suddenly wriggled all of it's legs (from where it was perched up right from it's position on munching on the guard but a moment ago) before turning around and lunging it's body towards the hay stack and cart...
and the mule that it was attached too took one look behind it from where it had been lazily munching on some hay, and let out a bray and suddenly took off, hauling the cart bumpily behind it as it tore down the street.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

"Well, you see it's a very complicated situation to explain," Averella began. "But really, now isn't the time to worry about that.."

Urtok shrugged, "Fine. If you're insecure about the lack of your awesomeness, who am I question it? I can't blame you, really. If I weren't a bugbear, I wouldn't want to talk about myself either."

When Averella asked him how many potions he'd eaten, he shrugged, "I don't know. Uh...nine? Eleven? I kinda lost count after the fifth one." For some reason, he didn't seem nearly as concerned about it as she was. "It's not like anything worse can possibly happen to me. I'm already human!"

"Do you hear that?"

Urtok strained his ear to listen, "Uh. No." He looked at her as though she'd gone mad.

"Come on, I think the coast is clear."

Of course, as luck would have it, she was wrong. The giant centipede had wandered their way and it might not have noticed the stupid girl hadn't screamed at the sight of it.

"Don't look this way. Don't look this way. "

The creature turned towards them and started to charge.

"Aw, ogre's sack! W-woah!"

The cart lurched forward and Urtok held onto the cart for dear life as it went careening away down the street.

Poor Lady Driscoll was crossing the street and was saved at the last minute by her quick-thinking (though not usually ) husband. He pushed her out of the street just in time, but knocked her wig off in the process. She screamed as her bald head was exposed and slapped the man for embarassing her!

The wayward wig went flying high and smacked Urtok in the face. He shook his head and it fell away free. " I have no idea how to stop this thing!" He shouted above the made clopping of hooves. "Wait. I think I saw a farmer do this one!" Slowly, he made his way to the front of the cart and climbed into the driver's seat. He seized the reigns and gave a sharp tug, "Woaaaah, boy! Woaaah!" The cart slowed and Urtok  puffed out his chest proudly, " Am  I awesome or what?"

visualspice

Averella was clinging to his side, eyes wide with fright as she was breathing heavily. But her eyes weren't just wide from their possible Death By A Centipede.... but because right before them was the guards!

"Um.. professor?" she said, giving his arm a light shake. "You might want to get this mule started again..."
Lest the pair wish to be tossed into the bowels of a prison for the second time, today!

Paradox

"Oh give me a break!" Urtok sighed at the sight of the approaching men in steel. He glanced back over his shoulder at the giant bug and then at Averella. "Uh...you might want to hold onto something. Really tight. Could get kinda ...er...well, you might fall off if you don't. "

He didn't wait for her to take the hint. If she wanted to live, she'd heed his advice quickly!

"Okay...so now how did the farmers get their horses to move?" He snapped up the reigns, "Move!" The donkey didn't budge. It stood there, staring forward stupidly. Urtok reached forward and smacked the silly beast on the hiney, "I said, MOVE!"

The donkey brayed and shot forward and barreled on towards the guards. They leaped out of the way just in time as the cart and the centipede rushed past.

"This is getting ridiculous! When will it stop chasing us!?" Urtok shouted , not really sure how much longer this chase could go on through Uthlyn. "I hope you've got some ideas, lady, because you'd think with as many books as you read that you'd be able to come up with some sort of plan instead of expecting me to think of everything! I know I'm smart , but geniuses like me get tired of thinking , you know!"

visualspice

Averella didn't need to be told twice when she clung onto Urtok's arm as the cart lurched forward, and again,t hey were being chased by just about everyone in town. And by now, most of the hay was blowing away.

"Professor, I don't know what's causing the giant insect to make chase, but what if we were to change it back to it's normal size?" she suggested, noting the three old hag's cheese shop coming into view. "Just turn the cart that way!" she said, pointing over his shoulder. "And maybe we can use one of the potions too-" But then she gasped as she fell over, smashing into the side of the cart as it went THE OTHER way, and Averella had to cling onto her hair pins, lest they fall out.
"Pr-professor! I meant.. I meant.. the other way!"s he said, knuckles white as she clung to the edges of the cart and peered back in horror as the shop became smaller and smaller behind them in the road.

Paradox

"Oh gee, I dunno. Maybe it's thinking to itself...'Mmmm mmm! Look at those tasty , weak, hairless ,and ugly little humans! I think I'll eat those two! It's not like anyone will miss them because one of them didn't pay her library fee!' " 

He shook his head when she told him to turn the cart around , "Are you nuts!? Go back there!? And how will we even know what potion to use!? What? You think those things are conveniently labeled, 'Insect shrinking potion' , do you? Or maybe we should just grab a whole bunch and throw them at the beast and hope one of them will blow it up or something!"

He sighed and turned the cart back around anyway, "If we die for this, I'm haunting you FOREVER!"

He brought the cart to a stop before the hag's shop and hopped out of the cart, "Come on! It's right behind us! Clock's ticking!" He ran inside without waiting for her.

"Return to us , we knew you would!" Ethel crowed.

" Hand over the girl and we'll give you something good!" Addison held up a potion that was labeled 'Bug-zapper' for him to see.

"Stop doing that!" Urtok growled and then glanced back over his shoulder, "Yeah well, we could all just sit here and wait for the bug to come and kill us. I mean, I'm not gonna be a dummy and make a trade with you guys again and get screwed again. I'm much too awesome to fall for that. "

visualspice

More panicked than her usual humbled state, Averella did the unthinkable, and suddenly lunged forward to snatch the vial from Addison's fingers, and the moment the bug came their way, the three witches all crowed; and down the vial smashed at the insects feet, and a poof of red smoke blew up intot heir faces...
and a moment later, the bug was nothing more than a huge, charred mess.

Coughing, Averella waved her hand to wave away the smoke, her hair, now half ruined and strewn about her head in unruly curls, bobbed about as Averella looked from the charred body of the massive centipede, to Urtok.

"Well, that takes care of that-"

"And this takes care of this!" Ethel hissed, as she lunged forward and grabbed Averella by her wrist, slapping on some golden bracelet inlayed with a skull and two black jewels for eyes.
"Now you are ours."

"And this bracelet.." Addison cooed, "Will ensure you never leave this city, again!"
And the three sisters cackled together with glee.

Paradox

"Get your hands offa my book sorceress or else I'll-" Urtok looked around desperately for some kind of weapon to use against the hags. He grabbed a small vial of purple liquid potion and held it up for them to see.

The witches gasped in unison.

"NO! "

"You wouldn't!"

"Ethel! I told you not to put THAT out in the open!"

Ethel appeared as if she'd suddenly been slapped, " Why are you blaming me!? It's Betty's fault!"

The new witch, Betty , whom was the youngest but ugliest of the three protested, " I only just arrived here after a two year absence! Don't you try to pin this mistake on me!"

Urtok coughed, "Ahem . Excuse me..."

"Why not? You've always been the one to not put things back in their rightful places." Ethel accused.

"That's kind of true," Addison nodded in agreement.

"And you're the one who usually makes me put things away and doesn't bother telling me where you want it! I just grouped it together with all the other potions of that nature." Betty snapped.

"Also true, "Addison agreed.

"Uh...hello? Guy with the scary potion here."

"Shut up and pick a side, Addison!" Ethel snarled.

"LADIES!" Urtok shouted and the witches turned to look at him, " Yeah. So I'm about to throw this potion at your ugly faces. I suggest you let go of my friend or I'm gonna use this and according to this bottle...it only works on witches so..." He started to throw it.

The witches screamed and pleaded with him not to do it. They were already ugly. They didn't wish to be any uglier!

visualspice

While the witches were all in a panic, Averella cringed as she turned to the witch holding her hostage-
"Sorry about this.." before she stepped on her foot.
The witch let out a howl and Averella clung onto her skirts and made a run for it.
"Come on, Professor! Let's get out of here!"

Paradox

"Haha! Nice one!" Urtok cheered and then moved to follow after her hastily though not before tossing the potion back over his shoulder. A chorus of "Noooooooooooo!" 's followed behind them.

As they were leaving the shop, they encountered the guards or - well, at least what was left of them. "There they are, men! Get them!"

Urtok hopped into the cart. Surprisingly, the mule was still waiting for them. He gestured for Averella to speed things up, " Hurry up , while we're young!"

visualspice

"Is that.. "she panted. "Supposed to be some sort of a joke?" Averella said as she leaped into the back of the thing. "Professor, you must realize, I'm over three thousand years old!"
And then once the guards were gaining on the, she gasped and turned back around. "So.. where's those things to get this cart started. The reins, now was it? Come on, give them a snap and let's go!"

Paradox

Since it wasn't in Urtok's nature to admit that he didn't know something, the bugbear-turned-man nodded, " Of course it was, " and at her exclamation of her age he shrugged his shoulders. After about the count of ten, he lost track.

Urtok narrowed his eyes at the woman when she told him what to do. "Woah, lady! Back off! No one tells ME what to do! I'm a bugbear!" And then , quite hastily he jerked the reins, "Giddyap!" He exclaimed the magic (in his mind) word that farmer Smith back in Languish always used to say to get his horses moving.

The donkey brayed and bolted forward, leaving their pursuers far behind.  "You know, "Urtok shouted to the woman over his shoulder, " I have a feeling that after this mess, we're not gonna be very welcome in Uthlyn anymore!"

When it came to stating the incredibly obvious, Averella was not the only one gifted. 

visualspice

At such a revelation, Averella's face became crestfallen. She grew quiet, the rumbling of.the cart and the chaos of the chase lost upon her. Pressing her lips together, she looked down at her gloved arms where it always seemed to itch and make her paranoid... For the itching meant decomposition, and she wasn't quite prepared to turn back into a lifeless, rotten old mummy just yet.

But without being able to return to this city.... How would she ever find more books in her endless search for a cure?

Paradox

Urtok was quiet for awhile, focusing on driving that cart (something he was still not quite used to ) and listening to the sound of the hasty clip-clopping of hooves when a thought occurred to him, "Although,I guess we could get back in there if we had awesomely clever disguises. I'm not a spy or anything, but I'm pretty good with disguises. " He boasted.

When she didn't respond, he glanced back over his shoulder, "What's wrong? "

visualspice

Sighing dejectedly, Averella lifted her gaze, and instead of lamenting, she was struck with fear at the sight before them, for one of the old witches was riding a broom!
"Proffessor, watch out!" And the girl ducked just in time to avoid the old hag.as she soared over head.

Ooc: witches on flying broom sticks! Why not?  "C'est Halloween!"

Paradox

((Pffft. They're witches! OFC they must have broomsticks!))

"Gah!" Urtok gasped and ...failed to duck in time. The broom-riding hag knocked into his puny human body (which really was puny by his standards but not so much a human's) and sent him flying off the cart and down face first on the dirt road. Right into a puddle of mud.

The witch, Addison, cackled as she continued on, flying circles around the man. "In the mud your face is planted,"

Another witch on a broom zoomed by overhead with a gleeful cackle, " Your painful death shall soon be granted! EHEHEHEHEHE!" She brought her broom around so that she hovered over the cart and then produced a wand, " Say your prayers, foul beast!"

"Ethel, rhyming on a broom you have ceased! You can't do that , to say the least !"

Ethel paused and looked back over her shoulder at her sister,"Oops..."

There was a bubble-like 'pop' sound and the image of Ethel seemed to blow up like a balloon and was simply gone. The broom was still there but below it there sat a black cat. "Mew."

Urtok lifted his head from the mud puddle and wiped the muck from his nose and eyes, "And I thought Languish was weird." 

visualspice

With the 'professor' taken out, Averella gasped as she panicked, fumbling to grab a hold of the side of the cart as it kept on rolling, heading straight for a stone wall! Gasping, Averella snatched up the reins and gave the fiercest pull she could, and just in time she was able to hault the wagon from smashing to bits.

With large eyes, she stared in disbelief for a good long while as she caught her panicked breath before sitting up suddenly to turn and observe the witcheshoovering near Urtok. Scrambling to get out of.the cart, her boot got caught on the reins and Averella spun around, losing her balance before catching herself on the side of the cart. After steadying herself, she frantically worked to get the reins off her boot.

Ooc: posts on cell phones are hard ;o;

Paradox

"Wait. Why are you guys trying to kill me?" Urtok complained, "I'm not the one who owes like thousands of gold to the library!"

Addison slipped her own gnarled wand from her robes and pointed it at the bugbear and crowed , " Abra Kadabra, blippity blue! Turn this creature into goo!"

A  flash of bright green energy snaked forth from her wand and , wisely, Urtok rolled out of the way. The spell hit the Ethel cat and left a pile of green slime.

Urtok looked over at what used to be Ethel and frowned, "Sucks to be her."