Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In Light and Darkness [Goblin]

Started by Juno, July 28, 2013, 07:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Demon-witch? She wasn't a demon-witch! It saddened her that even children were talking about her being some vile, evil person. Just how had news spread so fast anyway? "I'm...sorry to disappoint you?" she said, confused as to why she was even apologizing to this strange boy. She wanted to ask him how he'd even gotten into such a guarded part of the jail, but she was distracted by his offer of food.

Her almond eyes were drawn to the small cloth-wrapped parcel she saw, and she cautiously drew closer to the bars that separated them. Wincing at the description he gave of the demon, she graciously took the food and slowly unwrapped it to take bites between talking. "Thank you, young man," she offered him, smiling kindly for the imagination he displayed, if a bit macabre. "But I didn't. I don't want to hurt anybody at all. I...don't know where it came from. I wish I had answers, too," Madeline sighed, studying his cute, boyish face and light, feathery hair.

"Is that what they're saying about me?" she asked. "That I...serve demons?"

GoblinFae

He huffed grumpily as he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned his back against the bars. "Lot of not fun you are. It's no wonder Lorcan is such a pain in the ass when he comes home from patrol. This is not the adventure I signed up for when I agreed to see you. You're normal. That's not fair. Mages are supposed to be scary. Only thing scary about you is, you probably have cooties," he muttered with a deep shudder.

"And for your information," he continued a bit louder while looking over his shoulder, "they're not saying you serve demons but that they serve you. Although I can't see why now that I've seen you. You're just a girl." Luke sighed sadly, shaking his head.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

"Who's Lorcan?" she wondered, not knowing if that was someone she should have known or not, if he was perhaps one of the guards at the prison. That wonder was short-lived, though, cut so short by the boy's disappointment with her. It startled Madeline and, frankly, made her angry that he had.

Gently folding up what food remained, Maddie set it aside and turned her head away as she tried to hide the tears she was becoming overwhelmed by. How dare he call her normal after all that she'd been through! "But I'm not just a girl," she said shakily, her free hand forming a loose fist as she struggled with her own frustrations.

"If I'm not scary, then why am I here?" she asked sadly, sniffling as she tried to wipe away the moisture in her eyes. "If I'm just a normal girl, then why did they take me away from my home? From my mother? That is what isn't fair.

"I never asked for this," she said shakily, a bit far gone with her grief and fear now. "If demons serve me, I wish they'd get me out of here, take me home, give me medicine, give me water, something," she cried, finally uncaring about her appearance and turning her head to face him and stare into his eyes as she bemoaned, "They and everyone else would rather see me rot in jail and die of my wounds from that accursed creature. I wish I were normal, young man. I wish so badly that everyone else thought like you, thought I was normal. But they don't. They don't see how scared I am. They don't see my pain or how much I hate myself, how much I would just rather die than see my own friends and family turn on me and hate me."

GoblinFae

"My brother, of course," he replied matter-of-factly with all the attitude of a boy his age. He simply shrugged as she listened to her question her imprisonment. To him it was nothing. He knew how the system worked and trusted it. Only people who did something wrong deserved to be imprisoned. If she was here then she broke the laws and therefore was meant to be here. It was none of his business really the why. Luke had only been interested in seeing for himself just how badly she deserved to be locked up.

The tears though were not something he had been expecting. Eyes wide in shock he stared at her unmoving as he struggled to think of something to do. "No, no, no," he begged, hands held up to her in pleading. "Please don't cry. Please, it's okay. There's no reason to cry. I didn't mean to. Come on, I'm not even supposed to be here, you're going to get me in trouble! Okay you're not a normal girl now just stop," Luke continued to whine, hopping from foot to foot in concern all the while casting nervous glances over the back of his shoulder.

"Your friends don't hate you. It's going to be okay. You're okay. Nothing to worry about. Nothing to cry over. You're fine. More than fine. You're perfect. Now can you please stop crying?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Nothing he said really reassured her at all. One moment he was calling her normal, and now he said she wasn't. She just couldn't win, and it only thickened her tears, though her cries tapered off into softer hiccups and whimpers at the panicked look in his face. "Sorry," she mumbled, wiping at her face even as the tears kept coming. "It's been a strange day. Everyone's afraid of me.

"The thing is, I didn't hurt anyone. I was being atta-ATTACKED!" she explained, venting to a boy she was sure could do nothing to change her situation, though something he said did catch her attention. "It was self-defense. And now I'll probably die for it... But you think it's going to turn out okay? Really?"

Calming a bit, she leaned closer to the bars to look at him better in the dark. "Why? Did he tell you something? That Mordecai?" she asked.

GoblinFae

Luke's eyes nearly fell out of his head at the way the woman crescendoed her emphasis of being attacked. "Listen lady, you're not going to die,I hope," he added in a whisper. "You're kind of cute in a country-girl kind of way. Given it's your first offense you should be let off pretty easily. Do some community service. Do one of those reform programs and you'll be back to being normal and boring in no time."

The boy sighed and looked at the girl out of the corner of his eye. "How stupid are you? Of course he didn't tell me anything. Do I look like I'm important enough to know that kind of information? For that matter, did he? He's just a Mordecai, nothing special about him, honestly!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Though she was sure his words were meant to be reassuring, she was certain that nothing good would come of her arrest if she ever got out, if she wasn't sentenced to death immediately. "I hope you're right," she told him numbly, her words tired as she tried to make sense of what the boy was saying of his Mordecai brother.

"Nobody is just a Mordecai," she chastised him gently, shaking her head at his lack of respect for the men and women she held great respect for in her nationalism even though she'd been arrested by one. He, at least, had been the most polite and courteous person in the party that had collected her and she still held him far above the guards that chose to ignore her and leave her to go hungry in her injured state.

"If he's really your brother, you at least learned some manners from him," she sighed, knowing it counted for something that he'd brought her something to eat. "But I was just curious... Now don't get in trouble for being here just because of me. Go...before someone sees you," Madeline urged even though she was terrified of being alone for the rest of the night and who knows how long after.

GoblinFae

"Well he is," Luke grumbled back with all the attitude of a boy his age. In his eyes his brother was his brother first and a Mordecai second. There was nothing special about Lorcan because that was what Luke had grown up believing. The man was just his brother and that was all that would ever matter.

He tsked though and shook his head. "That's the whole point Miss. I've already been seen. How do you think I got down here? The guards let me, of course. I have to be seen on the way back out or they get mighty hissy and you don't want to be around for that, believe me. Because you see, after they get hissy, they call my brother in, and he's no fun when he's been woken from his beauty sleep, let me tell you! No siree!

"Now hurry up and finish your food. I can't leave you in there with the dishes. You might hurt yourself," he commented dryly, rolling his eyes at the notion.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"Honestly? I thought you snuck in here out of the goodness of your heart," she sighed, not knowing why she'd thought this boy some lovely person. After all, he had said that he just wanted to see her horns.

"Alright, fine," she agreed, unhappy to have to scarf down her food to not lose it entirely. "I wouldn't hurt myself, though," she said defensively. "I'm in jail, not crazy. And no, I'm not in jail for being crazy, so don't listen to what anyone might say about that," she warned him. Finishing up the food, she reluctantly handed him the plate back through the bars. "Thank you, though...for being nice to me."

GoblinFae

Luke sighed and rolled his eyes again. "I did come out of the goodness of my heart...mostly. I mean I'm not even supposed to be here. Do you understand what kind of tanning my hide would get if my brother found out? Woo-ie, it would be redder than a newly rising sun, I'll tell you that much."

He took the plate from her, staring at it's surface as he moved to scamper off and up the steps. The boy paused though with one foot on the bottom step before peeking over his shoulder at her and in a quiet whisper saying, "I don't think you're crazy lady, just a little backwards is all." Then like a shot from a gun he was off, praying every step of the way his brother would not find out he had even been missing to begin with.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

The boy's sentiment was not lost on her and the young woman nodded her thanks. Slipping away from the bars she curled up with her knees to her chest and tried to rest. Hugging herself in the cold of her cell, Madeline tried to think happy thoughts, tried not to panic and let fear take over when the thought of execution crossed her mind. Her mother's grief, her father's disappointment and potential loss of a job all because of her was something she could not shake.

She cried, fearing her family's loss of livelihood and friends over her mishap. She bit her lip, breathing heavily and trying to force the tears back, trying to choke the cries that threatening to shatter her sanity. Madeline just recoiled further into the corner of her cell, her cage she saw it as, and waited. It was useless to fight the tears for they eventually flowed freely down her cheeks, and she eventually did tire herself out enough to sleep but only after the sun had begun to rise for the day. Who knew how long she would have before someone retrieved her, but she looked a mess with pale skin from dehydration and flushed cheeks from crying even though the kind boy had fed her.

GoblinFae

He had managed to make it back home and into his bed, his pockets a bit heavier with his winnings for succeeding in proving he was brave enough to see the witch and come out alive. Morning came too early though and soon both Dempsey boys were dragging themselves back to work, Luke to the stables and Lorcan to the prison cells where he was meant to retrieve the witch and escort her to a hearing.

For several moments he lingered in the shadows, observing her quietly. He did not believe she was nearly as much trouble as the authorities had led him to believe but then he had encountered enough trouble from meek-mannered mages to know better than to trust them while they sat placidly behind iron bars.

"Come," he called finally making his move to approach her cell. "You have been summoned."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Her cell amplifying every little sound in the prison, Madeline slept restlessly that night. She kept startling awake and by morning her face was absolutely pale from lack of sleep and water, her injuries not helping her at all in that. She was stiff from them, and groaned in pain and discomfort as the sun peeked through a small opening at the top of her cell to shine right into her eye.

Startled soon after by a voice calling her, it took her a few moments to realize it was the Mordecai again. Turning her head some to face him, she nodded and kept her head down as she cautiously rose to her feet. Madeline didn't have the guts to ask for water for she knew she very well may not need it at all today and wouldn't want her death to be a waste to others. "Good morning, Mordecai Dempsey," she greeted him softly, her throat dry and tight as she swallowed uncomfortably. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be, I guess." The young woman approached the door to her cell and watched him expectantly, making no move to be violent or resistant as she held her hands out expecting another rope to be her leash today.

GoblinFae

Lorcan carefully bound her hands, believing her to be truly contrite and not just putting on an act but ever cautious. "Speak the truth, do what is asked of you, and you need not fear. They will not be so hard on you for a first offense. It should be over soon," he tried to comfort her as he slowly led her out and towards where she would be judged.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Maddie was nervous still, despite his comforting words, but she gave an appreciative smile and nod of thanks before following him out. She kept her head down until she was brought before the acting judge. She knew she should not be so fearful, but she was. The man seemed calm, but she saw a stern, disappointed look in his eyes that was not truly there. When asked to state her name and an account of what had happened, she hesitated. How could she even begin to describe such a creature of nightmares?

"Madeline Eskridge," she breathed, her chest puffing slightly with pride over her name despite how she had certainly muddied it for her family. "I was heading home... I'm sorry, I don't remember how many days ago it was now, but I was heading home. With Carina. The neighbor's daughter. We were just on the main road, nothing special, but this... This creature attacked us, sir. It-It was like it was made out of darkness itself." Maddie shuddered slightly and twisted her arms uncomfortably in her bonds, wishing she could hug herself for the memories made her injuries ache. "It had me pinned to the ground," she continued, her voice much softer. "I thought I was going to die. It acted like it was trying to...eat me or something. But then it just happened."

She shrugged, uncertain how to describe it until she was asked to be more specific. "This light came out of my hands. The monster was gone. Died, I assume. I hope. And the lightning... I never saw lightning like it before but there was just the brightest light I'd ever seen! I suppose that could have just been the storm that day, but I don't really know what else happened after that. I woke up at home, with my mother. And he," she paused, gesturing with her shoulder to Lorcan. "Mordecai Dempsey was there to take me to the jail. And that's all." Madeline shrugged, hanging her head slightly with the realization that she was admitting to magic-use even if it had been accidental.

"Please, I'm very sorry. Nothing happened while I was in the jail," she told him honestly, as if that should make him trust her anymore. "And nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I swear it. Honestly, I'm quite scared of myself," she admitted, a nervous laugh escaping her before she settled into silence to await the decision of her fate.

The final word was rehabilitation, a term she'd heard before but didn't quite understand until the terms were explained to her. For the foreseeable future she was on a probation of sorts. She would be permitted to return home and travel between it and Uthlyn proper but nowhere else without written permission and a timeframe of her return. There would be regular checks at her home for evidence of magic use and she thought it went without saying but it was stated anyway that she was forbidden from using magic again. Truthfully, Maddie was a bit scared of agreeing to such a thing. After all, it had not been a conscious effort the first and only time her magic had manifested. How was she to control what she had no control over?

The young woman was eager and happy to sign the agreement presented to her, though, even though the letters on the paper were mostly a blur of gibberish with the odd word she could read.

GoblinFae

The soldier remained behind her, an obstruction between the prisoner and her freedom should she try and escape, as she gave her statement. Lorcan kept his head held high even as his eyes remained trained upon the worn floorboards. Her pleads were nothing new to his ears though he tried not to listen all the same. He found it a rather private thing to confess such sins and while it was his duty to obtain the people who had broken the law it was not his to know the judgement of their souls.

Once the verdict had been made and the paperwork completed, he nodded to the judge and gently took her by the arm to lead her out. "Provided you keep to the terms of your agreement then you are free to go home Miss," he told her quietly as he ensured the last of her shackles were removed from her. "May today be a lesson to you," Lorcan added as many of the Mordecai were instructed to upon releasing the probationary convicted.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

​The bonds removed were a quite literal weight lifted from her. She could move freely again and she wobbled slightly in her efforts to regain true balance without them. Rubbing at her wrists, she turned a thoughtful look to the Mordecai as he spoke to her. She'd thought he might have been disgusted by the order of her release, but he seemed entirely a wall void of emotion instead.

​"Thank you. I will go home now...even if there is not really a home for me to return to," she promised, a kind smile pulling at her lips even though she was concerned her mother might not welcome her back. "Thank you, sir," she bid him, bowing her head as she turned to retrace the only steps she knew to exit the building.

​While outside she kept her eyes down and happiness bottled. Being free from a jail was only the first step for her, and she could practically feel the stares burning into her as she made her way through town. Her arrest had certainly not been hidden from the public and so many of her neighbors and friends had seen all of what had transpired, but she walked along anyway. The ball of nerves in her stomach nearly bubbled over when she eventually found herself at the door to her home again, but her knock was immediately answered as her misty-eyed mother pulled her inside.

​"This better not be some cruel joke," she hissed at her daughter, holding her tight despite her injuries.

​"It isn't. They let me go, I'm not here to say goodbye," Madeline assured her, the pain in her sides dull for the relief she felt to be welcomed home.

GoblinFae

Several weeks passed for the Mordecai without event and Lorcan relished the peaceful days where his only problems were related to his pint-sized brother and the youth's antics to be one of the "men." Therefore, it was with both disappointment and resignation that he accepted his orders to travel to a homestead away from the main city in order to confirm that a formerly arrested mage was adhering to her probation. It was standard protocol, though Lorcan was somewhat surprised to note that he recognized the name as belonging to the woman he had brought in personally.

As he traveled alone the journey was made in silence and though it was on foot, him being left alone to his thoughts had him arriving sooner than he realized was possible. Instead of approaching immediately however, he stayed back to observe for any stray instances of magic before his own gift nullified a mage at work.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Madeline would have enjoyed being able to say that her recovery was swift, but it was far from it. Her bruises were fading but the aching in her sides persisted long after the surface wounds had healed to scars. Her walk was stiff, but she didn't let that stop her from helping her mother as she normally did. Her work in the business was done at home, and she was very thankful for it giving her anything at all to do with her time.

She was blissfully unaware that she would have a visitor that day as she sat quietly with her sewing on her lap, her back turned to warm at their small hearth. The silence and the crackling of the fire that occasionally broke it was relatively calming for her. But that calm was disturbed by the subtle yet noticeably persistent shift of her senses. A Mordecai was near.

Maddie tried to keep calm, tried to will whoever it was to be a rare passerby to the small settlement of homes. When the feeling didn't go away, though, concern seized a knot in her belly as she set her work down with shaky hands for the lingering soldier.

Were they coming for her again? Would she get to say goodbye to her mother at least? The fading sun peeking through the curtain told her she wouldn't be due back for another hour or so, to her disappointment. With a shaky sigh the young woman squared her shoulders as she approached the door to her small home. Quietly, she opened the door just a crack to peer out at the road and, though she wasn't sure why it was still surprising to her, was startled to see the figure of someone out along the road.

Seeing evidence for her suspicion, she opened the door further to squint out into the fading light as she raised her chin proudly at him, not realizing exactly who the tall man was still being a ways away. "Whatever you've heard... Please let me speak in my own defense," she called out to him, her voice shaky despite how she wanted to be strong. "I don't know what kind of report sent you out here but I assure you I am...entirely following the laws. If... If I must go back to the jail please give my mother the courtesy of seeing me before I go?" she called out at him, her stubbornness wavering drastically the more she spoke.

GoblinFae

Lorcan raised a brow in both surprise and confusion. The hurried, frantic way that the woman spoke was quite unexpected and set him on edge. He kept his face impassive as he allowed his gift to flare more to life in order to ensure her sense of panic did not spark any accidental incidences unwanted or otherwise.

"Madeline Eskridge why do you believe you have something to defend? What have you done to warrant such a reception? I assure you as long as you have remained an upstanding citizen of Connlaoth then there is no need for you to be taken from your home. You are not as of yet under arrest."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]