Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Treyburn - Cousins Now Open! (Family/War Drama)

Started by Ivory, September 02, 2013, 11:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

1. You two are awesome.

2. A guild subforum is basically a place to put all threads from a certain group (in other words, all threads that happen either in the manor or just between the family members). It just helps organize, but we don't need it if you don't want to. We have to have an administrator set it up, if we do have one.

3. So what are you thinking for the whole disowning thing? Maybe the kids did something really illegal... and my girl or dude takes the blame from the government. But the parents know that she/he couldn't have done it alone, so Redly tells them he helped. And they disown him. Maybe? Lol. I'm just brainstorming here, let me know your ideas. :3
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Looshi

Quote from: Ivory on September 11, 2013, 01:54:44 PM
Looshi, if I remember right, you were talking about playing Braxton's ex-wife...so this may affect you as well.

Yes, I'm going to play her, and one of their kids! His ex-wife is Mila, Florry's blacksmith master, actually!

Ivory

Zee: 1. I know.
2. It's kind of up to what everybody thinks!  I don't care either way!
3. Well, as long as you don't have any solid ideas in mind...  Were you thinking she's banished from all of Connlaoth?  If so, is she like a wanted criminal in Connlaoth, where she'll be killed if she's caught?  That really opens up all sorts of possibilities.  Also, how old was she when she committed the crime, and what's her personality like?  I have ideas, you see.  Ideas!

Looshi: Ah, I thought I remembered seeing that somewhere!  Awesomesauce!  <3  Depending on what Zee and I decide for a timeline and depending on Connlaothian laws, that means Mila's kids, if she had any, would be in line following Braxton!  ...If Pa Treyburn ever dies.  That dude is seriously old.

Looshi

OH! If Zozee goes with the banished idea because the character is a criminal The Free Folk can harbour her, as they do take in criminals in their midst, so they don't have to be gone from Connlaoth.

Ivory

That's an awesome idea!!!  Thanks, Looshi!  I whole-heartedly approve!

Paradox

Quote from: Looshi on September 11, 2013, 02:44:28 PM
OH! If Zozee goes with the banished idea because the character is a criminal The Free Folk can harbour her, as they do take in criminals in their midst, so they don't have to be gone from Connlaoth.

Haha! A shameless Free Folk plug. Shame on you!

jks. I luv you , Loosh! <3

Looshi

zozee9

All of Connloath or just the town... idk. I think to answer these questions, we need to answer something more important first: what crime was committed?

Depending on the seriousness of that, she could be banished from all of Connloath and have it so she could be killed.

Also, I was thinking of making her have 'good' days and 'bad' days. The good days are very good. She's nice, gentle, and will do all she can to protect the kids. On bad days, you should lock her up in a room. She'll start pointless fights, yell at the kids, and do other mean things. You can guess what kind of day it was when the took the blame.

And Looshi, I'm totally up for that! I was actually going to make somebody for The Free Folk but never got to it, so this would be the perfect opportunity! :)
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Ivory

Looshi is a helper, and you be nice, Paradox!  <3

Are you talking like a split personality or something less deranged?

Paradox

Quote from: Ivory on September 11, 2013, 03:32:36 PM
Looshi is a helper, and you be nice, Paradox!  <3

Are you talking like a split personality or something less deranged?

Sounds kinda like she wants to go for a bipolar character, but that's just a guess!

And I AM being nice! D:

zozee9

Shhh not bipolar. 'Cause then I have to be scientifically accurate.

But I suppose split personality is kinda accurate. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with it though, I'm just brainstorming. :3

Ivory

The split personality could be interesting.  I would advise against something like bipolar, because it's so hard to RP accurately...and, also, psychiatry is not very popular in this setting, so people just will not get it!  Plus, if she was really mean to the kids, Redly would not like her very much!  If her "being mean" was generally good-natured and the typical sibling stuff, that would be acceptable!

I say the split personality could be interesting because it sort of feeds -- backwards -- into one of my ideas.

Let's say your character had a twin brother.  Ma & Pa Treyburn were horrified, further condemning her and causing them to distance themselves yet further from the kids.  Twins Are Bad.  Mmkay?  For simplicity, let's call your characters John and Jane as I explain this.

John and Jane grow up the target of their parents' disdain.  Everything, somehow, is always their fault...especially when it's not.  And then something Bad happens to John.  He dies.  (Added twist: Ma & Pa Treyburn are involved!)  Everyone is sad, except Ma & Pa, because they're terrible people.

Jane tries to make up for the loss of her brother in the only way she knows how -- she tries to become him.  Jane herself was just the sweetest little thing; John was a bully and a bit of a nightmare.  Jane, when she chooses to be Jane, continues to be wonderful -- but when she chooses to be John, she over-acts, as children are wont to do.

So it's not completely split personalities...  She's well-aware that she's Jane...but it makes her feel better to pretend that John is still there.  It's not entirely normal or healthy, but it's something she could, as an adult, have recovered from -- or not, because it's up to you!

Now, we get to the part where we break the law.  Jane has grown up seeing both worlds: that of a pretty, noble girl...and that of a rough and tumble boy.  Redly, and, I assume Braxton as well, were not gentle kids -- they liked to get dirty, to fight, and to have a good time.  If that appealed to Jane's personality, she may have decided to break the law to maintain that lifestyle.  If her parents tried to marry her off to some idiotic jerk-face to further their own desires for power and wealth, she could have boycotted and run to Redly for help.  Redly would have been (probably) a minor officer of some sort in the military by that point...and, really, what better place for her to hide than in the military as Redly's younger brother John?  This could have gone on for some time, with Redly covering for her and her parents thinking she had further disgraced them and run off...

So, let's summarize:
*We have the potential for her to have developed somewhat extreme personalities.  Their exact mechanic is, of course, up to you.
*We have a crime committed.  Cross-dressing in Connlaoth is very much illegal.  Depending on how big of a bounty you want on her head, additional crimes can be tacked onto this for maximum naughtiness.
*We have Redly helping her commit said crime, while simultaneously pissing off his parents big-time -- but also not putting a bounty on his head too.  That's important!

You're free to shoot down any part of this (or the whole thing!) of course.  I, er, got carried away.

zozee9

Omg ivory, marry me.

Okay, so the beginning part may be hard/impossible for me to write well enough to make it seem feasible. I like the idea, I'm just not talented enough to pull off the whole "let's honor my brother's memory by pretending to be his evil and horrible self".

But the whole cross-dressing thing? That's right up my alley.

So evil Ma & Pa want her to marry some snobby rich guy because they're greedy. But he's disgusting and drab so she goes off to Redly. Depending on what you think he would do, he could either give her the idea or she could have the idea and he says not to do it. Either way, she does it. And if he didn't want her to, there is know way Redly would rat her out at this point.

So Jane cuts her hair and dresses up as her identical twin John. Now John has been missing for some time, but the village doesn't know. Now here is where it gets fun:

Pa killed him when he was in a drunken rage. It may not have been completely purposefully, seeing that he was drunk. But it happened. This could have fueled Redly's final action of taking the kids and raising them on his own, perhaps even moving them all into his house. If this happened long enough in the past, it's possible that some of the younger kids don't even know that there used to be a John. Redly and the others, of course, don't tell them.

How does the town not notice that there's a kid missing? Well, idk if families had to be registered in that time. If they did, there is no way Ma & Pa Treyburn told the town that their kid had died. So it would be easy for her to pretend to be John. If there isn't a registration thingy, nobody would question another boy joining the army. Especially if they know of the large Treyburn family.

Now I'm scrapping this whole split personality thing. Mostly. Although her personality might not completely change like I was saying before, there may be times when she goes into deep depression or stress and gets angrier quicker than normal. Why? Because she witnessed the death of John. Probably at quite a young age, too.

Ma & Pa Treyburn don't know she saw this. She told Redly, and maybe Braxton, but nobody else. The kids that are born aren't told anything. She keeps it a secret. Ma & Pa just say that he was drafted off and couldn't come back, or something. They come up with a lie to cover Pa's tracks.

So at certain times, her mood spirals downwards. It's gotten better over time, but it still affects her.

Anyway, getting back on track, she dresses up and joins the army. This, alone, is a bad crime. But maybe while in the army, she does something more. She's pro-magic. This is probably because she has faced the gender discrimination in the army and doesn't understand why it's there. That, of course, carries onto magic. She believes that having magic doesn't change who you are and that they should be able to use their assets. So maybe she got into a bad fight with somebody who was anti-magic. In the army, fights are somewhat normal (I would imagine). But once they learn that she's a girl, that fight comes back way overblown. Orrrr maybe she stole some important documents that could have gotten mage users into trouble (or something). So her bounty is raised more.

...how does that sound? Lol. I rant a little...

zozee9

PLOT TWIST: What if she has magic?! And maybe she used her magic to help someone and there was no other way but then she got caught and, of course, got in trouble. And they made her strip down or something and BAM she's actually a girl.

Ivory

Okay, I'm going to need quotes to break this bad boy up...

Quote from: zozee9 on September 11, 2013, 04:39:18 PM
Okay, so the beginning part may be hard/impossible for me to write well enough to make it seem feasible. I like the idea, I'm just not talented enough to pull off the whole "let's honor my brother's memory by pretending to be his evil and horrible self".

But the whole cross-dressing thing? That's right up my alley.

That's fine.  I was just spit balling for background purposes!  <3  The cross-dressing is the important bit!

Quote from: zozee9 on September 11, 2013, 04:39:18 PMSo evil Ma & Pa want her to marry some snobby rich guy because they're greedy. But he's disgusting and drab so she goes off to Redly. Depending on what you think he would do, he could either give her the idea or she could have the idea and he says not to do it. Either way, she does it. And if he didn't want her to, there is know way Redly would rat her out at this point.

She probably suggested it...  Redly is not so subtle!

Quote from: zozee9 on September 11, 2013, 04:39:18 PMSo Jane cuts her hair and dresses up as her identical twin John. Now John has been missing for some time, but the village doesn't know. Now here is where it gets fun:

Pa killed him when he was in a drunken rage. It may not have been completely purposefully, seeing that he was drunk. But it happened. This could have fueled Redly's final action of taking the kids and raising them on his own, perhaps even moving them all into his house. If this happened long enough in the past, it's possible that some of the younger kids don't even know that there used to be a John. Redly and the others, of course, don't tell them.

How does the town not notice that there's a kid missing? Well, idk if families had to be registered in that time. If they did, there is no way Ma & Pa Treyburn told the town that their kid had died. So it would be easy for her to pretend to be John. If there isn't a registration thingy, nobody would question another boy joining the army. Especially if they know of the large Treyburn family.

You've seen Mulan, right?  If you haven't, stop whatever it is you're doing, and go watch it.  Now.

The reason Mulan gets away with joining the army is because there was no real registration.  She had the papers to prove she was from the family, and that was good enough.

Plus, with it being a lord and them having estates and things, they're probably a bit removed from town.  Most people aren't going to know, and they certainly have better things to worry about.

What I'm saying, in a long, roundabout way, is that works perfectly!

Quote from: zozee9 on September 11, 2013, 04:39:18 PMNow I'm scrapping this whole split personality thing. Mostly. Although her personality might not completely change like I was saying before, there may be times when she goes into deep depression or stress and gets angrier quicker than normal. Why? Because she witnessed the death of John. Probably at quite a young age, too.

Ma & Pa Treyburn don't know she saw this. She told Redly, and maybe Braxton, but nobody else. The kids that are born aren't told anything. She keeps it a secret. Ma & Pa just say that he was drafted off and couldn't come back, or something. They come up with a lie to cover Pa's tracks.

So at certain times, her mood spirals downwards. It's gotten better over time, but it still affects her.

Anyway, getting back on track, she dresses up and joins the army. This, alone, is a bad crime. But maybe while in the army, she does something more. She's pro-magic. This is probably because she has faced the gender discrimination in the army and doesn't understand why it's there. That, of course, carries onto magic. She believes that having magic doesn't change who you are and that they should be able to use their assets. So maybe she got into a bad fight with somebody who was anti-magic. In the army, fights are somewhat normal (I would imagine). But once they learn that she's a girl, that fight comes back way overblown. Orrrr maybe she stole some important documents that could have gotten mage users into trouble (or something). So her bounty is raised more.

...how does that sound? Lol. I rant a little...

Especially at this point in Redly's life, he is anti-magic himself!  They've all been fed the anti-magic propaganda since an early age, so it's only natural he believes it!  That being said, he's still Redly, and he doesn't believe you should go around harassing the poor people.  Still...  If the soldiers are told somebody is an evil mage that has to be exterminated, he will whole-heartedly believe it.  Why would they lie about such a menace to society?  <3

While you can definitely have her be pro-mage, I think having that be the point on which she is discovered is going to cause some undue drama and tension there that we don't really need...

Instead, how about this?  (Because Redly still needs to have the falling out drama with Pa, mostly!)  Obviously, having their daughter vanish in the midst of a marriage arrangement is going to look Bad for them.  They probably assumed she was being willful and ran away.  Now, eventually, they're going to track her down.  Remember, Pa is a pretty high-ranking military man.  He has influences and contacts.  Eventually, he's going to hear about this John character in Redly's group.

Cue a dramatic confrontation.  The confrontation is probably, initially, private, but Pa is certainly not so attached to his child that he wouldn't call the guards in to arrest her for besmirching the family name.  There is a scuffle.  In a panic, she does what she's trained to do: she kills.  It's entirely on accident and out of desperation, but once it's done, you can't take that sort of thing back...  Poor unnamed guardsman!  Redly (and the imaginary John) is immediately and publicly disowned, and she is forced to flee for her life!

zozee9

Weeeeee you're a genius! (btw can I just mention that I always spell genius wrong? like, out of all words to mess up? really?!)

Anyway, I think that's a great idea! And that could just add to her emotional instability. Like, maybe she had finally started to get over seeing John killed. Especially since she was dressing up as him. But then that happens and it brings back those memories and she starts to think of herself as a cold blooded murderer like her dad and yeah... emotional instability.

Ivory

(It could be worse.  You could spell "spell" wrong.  Just saying!)

I think we only have a few things left to figure out.  First, how old was she when this happened?  Second, why was John killed in the first place?  Pa's a bastard, but I can't see him killing his own son on purpose.  To a child, however, that might be how it looks...especially because I don't think he has the capability of actually showing his feelings (except the scary ones!)

Looshi & Paradox: Based on this timeline, I'm guessing that by the time Braxton married, he (and she) knew he was next in line for the title.

zozee9

No idea. What time would an arranged marriage be formed? She was probably pretty young... like 16? That's when boys are added to the army, so it would make sense on this aspect, too. But the killing of Reagan (I just chose his name) happened a lot earlier. Idk when though, I need your two sense for that.

And Reagan had some magic? And he was too young to know it was forbidden, showed it to his dad, and Pa freaked out. Then Pa started throwing things at him (more or less harmless things) to get Reagan to leave. Except either a) one of the things he threw wasn't harmless or his Reagan in a vital spot or b) something he threw hit something else that feel on Reagan and killed him on impact.

Or maybe, if Reagan was older, they were arguing about something and Pa pushed him harder than he had meant to, causing Reagan to fall backwards and hit his head really heard on the corner of a table or something.

Those are the two things that pop up in my head right now. Any other ideas?

p.s. her name is Jana (I couldn't get rid of Jane and that's an irish name I just found online)

Ivory

lolololol  I thought you were naming the guard she killed for a second, and I was so confused!

16 works for when it started...how long do you want to say she was hiding in the ranks before she was discovered?  I can see her hiding away there for a good few years...  Maybe 5 if she's been lucky!

Hm, I'm not a fan of the freaking out thing, simply because I picture him being more "in control."  Harsh, yes, but not that uncontrolled about it...  I can definitely see him pushing him too hard, though...

zozee9

Let's go with pushing too hard, then. Or, of course, maybe Pa pushed Reagan and Reagan tripped on something behind him. There are plenty of options. :3

And I think five years is perfect! I guess she isn't the most curvaceous of the Treyburn girls. XD