Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cake & Venom.(Spice)

Started by Paradox, October 12, 2013, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

((This is a closed thread, thanks.))

But a handful of weeks had gone by since he had settled into his new role of duke and already he was being summoned to attend social functions that were addressed to his parents. The letters took time delivering, Conall reminded himself , trying to disperse with his sour mood as he plucked the invitation from Geoffrey's hand and opened it. It was a extravagant envelope , he thought, in appearance as well as in scent. Boldly so, even. "Duchess Avelon, "he murmured as he carefully opened the letter. He read it over and shook his head, "Ah right. Aella's birthday, I almost forgot."

And that certainly would not do! His parents had always stressed to him the importance of NOT forgetting certain 'holidays' that Melora hosted because failing to attend them and bring suitable gifts was considered to be a serious offense. Most nobles could , eventually, get over such offenses but not Melora. Melora held long grudges. She never forgot and she never forgave- well, unless you paid for it the next year to her approval.

"I don't feel like going..." Conall sighed and tossed the invitation aside with a sigh.

, "With your parents...gone. You'll find there may be shifts in allegiance to Ardal. You need to attend these functions, socialize. You need to get a feel for who your allies are and your enemies. Don't worry, my Lord. I shall be going with you. "

~
The ride to Hellvion had been long and tiresome and as Lord Shanley and his entourage arrived, the party seemed to be quite busy already. He turned in his saddle a bit and spoke over his shoulder to Erving, "Think we're late?"

Erving's wrinkled visage appeared the picture of calm, " We're early. No need to worry, my Lord.  The guest list is quite large and , well, some show up rather early in hopes of impressing the Duchess. You do not wish to appear overeager but neither do you want to appear as though you don't care. "

Conall shook his head as they passed through the castle gates , passing the Hellvion guard. In the courtyard, they dismounted and the horses were handed off to the care of the stable boys.

From there they proceeded on foot to the palace. "Are you nervous, my lord?"
"A little, " Conall admitted, " I hope I'm not required to speak much. Do you think my gift is adequate? "

Erving placed a hand on the teenager's shoulder, "You're a Shanley. You'll do fine."

"...that's really not that comforting."

((It was actually a lot longer than this but I shortened it since you're on a phone.))

visualspice

The Duchess of Hellvion was a duchess in her own right- considering her husband, for quite some time, has been ill and 'ill suited' to rule. Though when it came into question as to 'who might rule'; the visor's were immediately 'fired' by the duchess herself. She didn't need those fools stepping in where she was capable, and no laws prohibited a woman to rule while her husband was still alive...
And he? Well, he only supported her, despite his condition, and was rarely ever seen and was strong enough at times to simply sign the paper work that needed it.

But now was not a time to be thinking about her husband; as power shifts were in the air. She could smell it, and as her only daughter was slowly coming of age, she wanted to flaunt the beauty she had created, considering her time to shine had come and gone and she had already gotten what she had wanted.

But Melora was a woman who always craved for more...
and she could do no wrong through her daughter.
Aella... the vision of perfection and grace, was something she began to focus on as a propaganda parade just this year. She had Aella, in her beginning stages of adult beauty, paraded around from the Kilanthro's, to the southern boarder that met at Serendipity.

And no one could argue the perfection and grace of her budding daughter, and now that she was fourteen, it was time to throw a grand ball in her honor. Unfortunately, her husband's illness had become 'difficult' so he could not attend...
but did that matter?
The focus was on Aella, and what men of power she could associate her with. She was, after all, a prime woman to wed- for if the right man came along, he could become the duke of Hellvion,
Or
If they played their cards right, Aella might be able to align their family with another duke who was quite wealthy and powerful... And Melora had her eyes on just the right man- Calent Allarrick of Allar.

ANd now was the time! The day had arrived; beautiful and shining with blossoms sprouting every where since Aella had been most joyously born during the spring. And because of this, the decorations inside could only reflect this detail, as garlands created from blossoms hung off the chandeliers throughout the entire Hellvion Castle, and soft-pink themed bouquets lined just about every corner of the place so that it was ornamental, and not too over bearing in detail.

Either way, the lovely Aella and focus of the evening was being prepared, those same decorations that lined the castle now being woven into her hair and dress as she sat patiently while the servants brushed out her hair.

"Be sure all 900 strokes are completed before the guests arrive," Melora said impatiently.

"Yes, my lady."

"And be sure to use the diamond roses, not the ruby ones. Red would be too bold for a child so fair."

"Yes, my duchess."

Melora gave a pensive nod as she looked over her daughter, and once she was ready, Melora's smile was unerasable as she placed her hands upon her shoulder and leaned in to speak into her ear.

"You look lovely. I believe it's time we arrive at the party. Some guests have already shown up."

Too bad the Duke of Allar had not. Perhaps he would arrive fashionably late?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Still unaccustomed to all of the attention that his new station merited, Conall paused in mid-stride and cringed at the blaring trumpets that sounded in his ear as he made his entrance, walking down the golden carpet. To his left, a tall and slender gentleman with a beard that made Conall blush with envy adjusted his monocle and held up a slip of parchment that probably had something written on it. The gentleman cleared his throat and announced loudly,  "Lords and Ladies, it is my esteemed pleasure to introduce you to Conall Shanley, the Duke of Ardal!" And the room which was filled mostly with complete strangers filled with half-hearted applause, a sound that was only truly made out of feigned politeness, really. Most of these Hellvonites probably had not idea he'd even existed up until this very point. Only a handful knew that this was quite a big deal because the newly appointed and very young duke had made no appearances anywhere since his coronation.

Erving trailed behind him along with one of Conall's bodyguards, the tall , but silent Ser Trainor. Reluctantly, the duke of Ardal exchanged greetings with several minor nobles he was fairly certain that he'd never met before at last stood before the duchess herself. He had met Melora before, but it had been at least two, perhaps three years since he'd seen her and back then he was she that she had not cared to be aware of his existence either. He swept forward into an elegant bow and kissed her hand when she offered it, " Duchess Avelon, 'tis been too long. I am both honored and delighted to have received your invitation. " He noted Aella standing not far off. In spite of her mother, Conall had always liked Aella. She was as sweet of a noble a girl could be. He afforded her a polite nod and a warm smile, " Of course, it is also a pleasure to see you again too , Lady Aella. I hope your birthday celebration is everything that you hope for."

visualspice

The duchess gave a scrutinizing look over the young duke, but the smile never left her lips as she did so. And she didn't miss the look and time he paid to Aella, and made note of just about anything ever said to her child.  Lady Aella, sweet as Conall had known, curtsied to him with a polite bow of her head and stated, "I'm so glad you could attend, Duke Shanely." And her tone never missed a beat- and naturally, neither did her mother.

"Yes, we are always happy to see other dukes in attendance as grand as this. After all, it's not every day we get to celebrate Aella's birthday."
But that would be the end of her politeness as it was announced  the Duke of Allar had just arrived. Her eyes went away from Conall as she brushed him off in nonchalance when she spoke, "I hope to see you later this evening enjoying yourself." Which was his cue to leave. She didn' even bother casting him a look while her eyes remained plastered upon the door as the Duke of Allar strode in, arriving at along last with a long crew of two mordecai flanking both his sides, and a few guards to his rear.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

(( Minor correction, but sort of and important one. Calent isn't the grand duke at this point in time and wouldn't have any mordecai at his command. ))

"I shall look forward to it, " Conall picked up on the cue immediately, knowing full well when he was being brushed aside in favor of far more illustrious company. Had he been looking forward to attending, the young duke of Ardal would have felt slightly affronted. However, his mind was on far more weighty matters than his sense of pride and he was only too grateful to take his leave. He offered one last polite smile in Aella's direction before moving onward to allow Melora to obsess over the duke of Allar.

"Well , that wasn't too bad. She didn't seem impressed at all."

"She wasn't." Erving was quick to inform him as they moved away. "But don't feel too bad, my Lord. You're not the only one who fails to meet such grand expectations."

"I don't–" Conall stopped himself and shook his head, sighing, " So, how long do we have to-"

"Duke Shanley! "

Conall's head whipped around to see an outlandishly dressed noblewoman in her middling ages weaving her way through the crowd. Only Lady Luvina was bold enough to wear so many shades of purple and green and decorated with such busy geometric patterns that it made one's head spin . The fashions in Uthlyn these days , Conall thought, had never been so strange. "Lady Delgrin, you're...here?" Conall stared at her, unblinking, and looking as well as sounding surprised.

Luvina laughed and pulled the young Lord into a fierce hug. Lady Delgrin crushed the poor lad who was still quite thin, a condition that was to be thanked from months of being consumed with grief and depression, " Oh, look at you! You're all dressed up and looking so regal. " She released him and took a step back to admire him.  "Your mother would be so proud!" She beamed. "Oh, now that you're a duke I suppose it's time that you seek a lady. Lucky for you I am an expert at matchmaking."

Conall stared at her incredulously, "Are you...? You jest." He felt slightly affronted. He was not even half a year out of morning and she was suggesting that he go hunting for a wife already? "Lady Delgrin,  I appreciate your ...er...enthusiasm but I-"

"Now, do you have any particular feature preferences? Blondes? Red heads? Blue eyes? Green? Do you like submissive, outspoken? Flirtacious? Demure?"
"Lady Delgrin, I am not looking for-"

Luvina grabbed his arm and pulled him close, pointing out a fair-haired young noble girl , "What about her? She looks quite elegant. Almost like a swan. I think the two of you would look divine next to each other. Now, how would you like to proceed? Shall I go approach her and express that you're interested or would you rather awkwardly make your own introduction? She doesn't look like the sort that's easily impressed. See that bored expression? And her nose is upturned as though she thinks she's far too good this party. Hm...you're not really attracted to those snooty types, I'd wager..."

Erving chuckled from behind him and Conall shot him a "Don't you dare say a word or I will murder you" look.

visualspice

OOC: Actually, Calent has mordecai, who are in the service to the current Grand Duke as well (obviously XD ), but more or less remain allegiant to Calent but do their duties when the Grand Duke would call. I'm assuming Calent had a good standing with the former Grand Duke, or at least his father may have, but anyways yeah XD He had only two- Zannrick and Emery in his time prior to Grand Dukiness, so it's not like he had this entire army to command XD sorry if that's confusing x.x

-----------

The duchess spent an excessive time fawning over the Duke of Allar. Calent Allarrick was a rather handsome man, and with it, made Aella a lot more nervous than she should have been. She knew her mother put a lot of weight upon him and wanted her to meet him, even when she aws so young- an impression, her mother said, was a woman's best ally.

To bad her tongue was too garbled too really speak too well, and after the Duke of Allar left, Aella was relieved and numbed to the remaining guests she had to pay attention to. And it was not like the Duke of Allar was unaware the Duchess of Hellvion wanted to fix him up with her daughter, and as pretty as she was, she seemed a tad young to his liking, and perhaps.. a bit too eager and mute.

Taking a glass of champagne, Calent's social circle seemed to pair very closely to Conall's, and words about some ruins discovered in the north of their duchy- magical ruins, of all things, seemed to make the quiet Duke of Allar appear more bitter, and as the conversation went on, there was a discussion of dismantling it after investigations were made with mordecai. Though someone had the gall to inquire if the castle were the from the former Duchy of Harmond, those speculations were quickly snuffed out by a deep and narrowed gaze by the Duke of Allar himself.
Though he, like Conall, had been more or less on the throne due to the unfortunate passing of his parents, he had been ruling long before the actual death, as his father had taken ill for quite some time.

Paradox

Conall couldn't help but overhear Allarick's friends talking. Calent, as expected, was tight-lipped. There were whispers of a ruined castle and a fallen duchy. The young duke of Ardal caught the name and frowned. Though it seemed familiar , he had , sadly, neglected a handful of his geography lessons much to his mother's disapproval in favor of sneaking outdoors to be with his friend, Aislinn. They would ride horses and shoot arrows at targets that his father had set up on the trees...

He envied the girl. She was probably at home now attending to the horses with little a care in the world. Idly he wondered how someone of her breeding would react to a situation like his. The images both amused and horrified him.

Luvina touched his arm, "You and Aella are the same age about and you're both single. She's a nice girl and you two seem to get along well."

Conall blushed, "Well, yes but –"

The grip Luvina had on his arm tightened and she gasped, "Oh!There's the sweetie now!" She waved at the girl, "Lady Aella! Do come over here and chat with us, dearie!"

(( Time for failz. I agree with Aella bumping into someone and ultimately Calent is wearing lady Driscoll's flaming wig (don't ask) and then Tinstall goes "I got it!" and he splashes Calent with his drink OR Conall could do it. Lol  Or whatever lulz. )) 

visualspice

Aella had been released from her mother's side for all of two seconds when she was beckoned by another woman. Blinking, she looked to Luvina, then back to her mother, who was becoming preoccupied with snaking her way into a conversation nearest the Duke of Allar. Perhaps her mother would not mind if she were to mingle? And her mother, giving a half wave of approval, was all the sign Aella needed as she drew in a breath and held daintily to her skirts while making her way over to Lady Luvina.

Giving a bobbing curtsy, she smiled.
"I would be most welcome to chat." Though after she quickly said it, she had no idea what to say as she tucked in her lower lip and inquired, "Are you enjoying the party so far?" And her eyes lightly swept across the grouping of guests before her.

Paradox

Luvina eagerly guided the girl to stand betwixt her and Conall and at Aella's inquiry, Luvia beamed, "I'm having a marvelous time, dear. I just love what your mother has done with the palace. It's simply a work of art! Oh , but you my lady – your mother really has outdone herself this year!  Does she not make all the décor pale in comparison with her magnificence?" Luvina was specifically looking at Conall when she inquired.

Conall stared back at her, appearing much like a gaping fish. What? Why ask him?  He glanced over his shoulder at Erving who was also looking at him expecting. The Duke of Ardal shifted his gaze over to Aella, "Er...she does?" He replied a bit hesitantly, feeling the heat of frustration and embarrassment at being so purposefully put on the spot like that! "I mean... your pardon. You do look quite lovely, Aella." Awkwardly, he fished for a subject to discuss. It wasn't as simple now as when they had been children where they could talk about most things without being so unforgivably scrutinized, "How fares your lord father?"

visualspice

Aella looked at him with large eyes. Though she was young, Aella was already blossoming into a young woman, but the innocence was there, and that sweetness touched her lips as she blushed softly and gave a gentle bob of her head to Conall.

"You are too kind." ANd as the conversation moved to her father, she blinked up at him. "He..." and here,s he tucked in her lower lip with a bit of a frown. "He is doing alright. He has been a bit ill as of lately, or he would have liked to attend."

Paradox

Conall bowed his head, nodding, "I see. I shall keep his recovery in my thoughts and prayers. "

"Oh, I'm sure he'll be fine, dearie." Luvina reassured her, " Your father is a strong, healthy man. I dare say he's caught death a few times and given it  a sound thrashing." She waved a hand dismissively, " But come now, this is your special day, Lady Aella, do tell us what it is you're looking forward to this year? A proposal from Lord Allarick perhaps ? Hm?"

"Lady Delgrin!" Conall shot her a disproving glare that would have silenced most. He turned to Aella, "I'm sorry. She can't ...help herself."

visualspice

Aella grew quiet at such remarks, nodding and smiling through a blush about her father, but then drawing back some in surprise at the forwardness of the woman's comment.

"I am still too young to consider marriage, though I suppose proposals can come at any age. But today, I'm simply here to enjoy the pleasure of everyone's company." And she bowed before them before excusing herself, and she took off, stating it was necessary to keep mingling with all of her guests.. and feeling strange. Really, she did not want to stick around for such conversation. Did all of Hellvion know her mother intended her for Calent of Allar?

And as Lady Aella moved away from the crowd, it seemed Calent Allarrick was moving away from his own group..and being that he happened to be rather close to Conall and company- he found his shoulder hitting off of Aella and the girl let out a gasp and tumbled backwards, right into Lady Delgrin who then toppled into Conall, who's arm she hit and forced his drink to shoot out lik ea bullet-
and land clean on Calent's suit.

And the entire place went quiet- stunned.

Paradox

"Luvina," Conall hissed at the woman under his breath at the old woman, "that was far too bold! " He felt a little awkward scolding a woman that was three time his age, but it needed to be said because in spite of the silly old woman's intentions, it would not do if his relation with her ended up damaging his relations with his only positive connection to Hellvion. Not that he was in bad standing with Hellvion. It just wasn't much of one, " Do control your curiosities,please, and stop embarrassing people!"

Lady Delgrin shook her head, " Oh, I didn't expect her to become so flustered. Good heavens, the poor dear is so nervous!"

And Conall watched Aella moving away. He made a mental note to catch her breifly a little later and apologize for his mother's friend later because he knew Lady Delgrin saw nothing wrong with what she had done and while he was thinking on this, he failed to notice the chain of events that led up to him choking and spitting out his drink right on Calent Allarick of all people.

And while so many eyes were on him and Calent, Conall did not feel the shame that those eyes on him seemed to expect him to be feeling right now. More than anything, the poor young duke of Ardal was confused. He knew it wasn't his fault, but the way that everyone was looking at him like that told him two things. Either A) no one had seen what had happened or B) no one cared because how dare he spit on the duke of Allar anyway!

As Conall opened his mouth to offer and apology , someone cut him off, " How dare you spit on the duke of Allar!"

I didn't spit on purpose, you imbecile.

"My apologies, Lord Allarick; It wasn't intentional." He offered cordially. He wasn't about to fall over himself like Melora and others did to appease this man. The only being Conall would ever bend knee to was Ansgar himself, and perhaps the Patriarch but Calent was nowhere close to being that close to God. He was just a man, a duke. No more important than anyone else in this room.  Frowning slightly at the motionless crowd , he added,"    Could someone please fetch a damp rag before the stain sets? "

visualspice

The glare Melora of Hellvion was giving him was positively a cold one. How DARE he make a mockery of the Duke of Allar but ten minutes into her event. And without even thinking, she pushed her way through the crowd and gave a snapping command to her servants to fetch a towel, quick. And as she was on her way over to make amends of the situation, Calent of Allar slowly raised his gaze from his wine stained suit and lifted those green eye to Conall. For a while, he peered at the boy with a frown set to his jaw, but before anything could be said, Melora was already on the scene.

"Oh, Mother! I'm so sorry-"
But Aella's words were cut off as Melora stepped in between child and man.

"Oh, Duke Allarick, how dreadful this had to happen-a nd so early into the evening. Shall I lend you a coat from my husband's collection? Or would a towel suffice for the wine?"

Calent, removing his cold gaze from Conall, turned to Melora with a deep bow.
"A towel would be nice, though I've brought a change of clothing. It would not take too much time for me to change."

Melora nodded and took him by the arm. "Allow me to escort you." ANd as Calent was lead off, he gave Conall one scrutinizing look as he dabbed at the wine on his jacket, and then as he turned away, Melora gave a scornful expression back to him as well.

Aella winced. She knew that look.
"It seems my mother is angry.." And she contemplated if she should go and help but..
she felt so nervous and out of place, and instinctively  backed away, accidentally bumping into Conall. "Oh! I'm so sorry! I, oh dear, I'm so clumsy this evening."

Paradox

Conall couldn't help but feel his mood turn icy from the looks that both Melora and Calent had given him. A small spill of wine on someone's coat and the whole room was offended ? These people needed to get their damned priorities straight, but he had to remind himself that these were nobles and this was not Ardal where things were a bit more ...relaxed.

There was little Conall could do about the matter. Half the room unlikely knew or cared to know who he was or what had happened. He shook his head and didn't care to watch Melora or Calent take their leave. His attentions were immediately brought to poor Aella who seemed to be on the verge of being a nervous wreck. With a gentle hand , he steadied her on her feet. He frowned slightly, his gaze sympathetic, " No, 'tis quite alright.  I should have have stopped Lady Delgrin from bringing up such an awkward topic. You have my sincerest apologies. She just gets a little overexcited about prospective marriages and potential party arrangements. Believe me, she's had my wedding planned out for me since I was about five and likes to remind me of this on a yearly basis. " He sighed and shook his head again, "Are you alright? Pardon me for being a little bold, but it pains me to see you so out of sorts on a day that ought to enjoy." He dare not add that it wasn't all that fair for Melora to treat Aella. At least not on her birthday. This should have been a day that Aella could enjoy. She was a nice girl and he felt she deserved that much.

visualspice

"Oh, but you needn't apologize.  It is just the way of things. My mother has expressed a high regard for the man, so it is only natural others might believe that she'd desire us to wed." Though as Conall went on to explain his own Lady Delgrin awkward moments, her smile began more natural as it warmed. "I shall take note of that. But is that why you are here? Are you seeking to court a young lady?"

Seeing how Lady Delgrin just blurted that out as a topic, she just assumed it was something natural to say at such an event. And at least, for now, his conversation was helping divert Aella's frail emotions from when she was quivering but a few moments ago. Now she seemed more lively. But that's how youths always were- so easy to bounce back from things, but also, so easy to fall prey to their emotions.

Paradox

Conall chuckled at the question and blushed lightly. He shook his hand and waved a hand dismissively, "Me? Marry? I'm ..." Well, it was indeed expected of him and especially when no one wanted his uncle's line succeeding his father which would happen if Conall failed to produce an heir. "Your pardon. No, my lady. I'm here to celebrate your birthday. I would not think to pursue any selfish endeavors on your time."

He stepped closer to her and leaned in to whisper in her ear, "Why do you inquire? Are you contemplating a proposal?" He teased but then shook his head, "That was a bit cheeky of me, I apologize. Ah but, between you and I , I am not quite...ready to pursue a lady's hand. And , if I am to speak plainly of myself, I doubt any girl could put up with me.  " And he meant that sincerely in spite of his humor. Though Aella couldn't have possibly known what he truly meant and that he was thinking in terms of his health rather than his personality or his habits. That said, he stepped back and gave her some comfortable space between them .

"Though I enjoy your company, it would be selfish of me to insist upon keeping you. Unless you'd like to stay, of course. It's your birthday, the one day you ought to enjoy your time as you like. If you'd humor me a bit longer, I would inquire if you knew of any intriguing literature to read. I just finished 'The Wanderer' by the Malfrayne. Have you ever read or seen it , perhaps?   " 

visualspice

Aella's face went quite pink at his statement.
"Oh, but Duke Shanley, do you not think of an heir?" THough as he went on to explain, she went even more pink, but nodded. Though his teasing partly won her over, she was somewhat relieved to see he was not here to court. Though if he was, she wouldn't be one to say no. What would her mother say if he DID wind up engaged? And Conall wasn't terrible looking- and she found herself much liking them, even his freckles, as she smiled and built up a small crush on him inside her mind. Though the little bubble popped a bit when she caught the gaze of her mother, and almost missed Conall's last statement.

"I uh.." she stammered, blinking as she looked up into his face. "What did you say again?" Oh, how dreadfully rude of her to miss it!

Paradox

It wasn't difficult for him to forgive Aella for her inattention for she was not the only one with a small crush. She was beautiful and kind, but Conall had never entertained any ideas of pursuing her hand for multiple reasons. Even had he not been formerly betrothed to the late Lady Kearney, he understood that Aella was Duke Avelon's only heir. She would likely marry some duke second eldest. Therefore, she was off-limits.

That Melora thought she could get Allarick to marry Aella was...odd, but he doubted that anything would come of it. Allarick didn't seem interested in Aella much at all.   

"I was wondering if you have an interest in theater ?" Conall offered the girl with a pleasant smile. "Have you read or perhaps seen any plays that captivate you?"

visualspice

"Oh, yes!" she went on, eyes sparkling over the idea. "My mother and I have gone to a lot of shows, though most of them are Rettison's works, but I would give my left leg to see a play by Emberly!" Though at the idea, her smile faltered a little as she composed herself and turned away. "Though my mother says they're too silly and romantic. But I've read numerous plays by him and 'The Scorching Crown' was always my favorite!"

Tags: