Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood in the Snow [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, January 24, 2014, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Fresh snow crunched under Teidra's hooves as she moved over the tundra, heading up a hill where a special flower was said to grow. It was called the Yyndris which, in the old language of her people, roughly translated to "blood in the snow".

It was called that because of its dark red petals that stood out stark against the white of snow, making it look like blood splatters from afar, especially when they grew in little clumps--and especially since it bore sharp, prickly thorns. A little ironic, considering the plant was used to heal--and heal it did, for it was a hearty plant with some strange qualities. It grew in the snow and thrived in winter, and died during the thaw. Still, it favored sunny hills, though Teidra knew there would be a lot of digging involved. After the recent snow, any flowers would be buried.

And with the way those dark approaching clouds looked, they would be buried even deeper soon.

Clutching her thick cloak to her body, Teidra pushed onward against the wind that had begun to pick up. The storm was going to be a big one, no doubt, but she had to find the flowers fast, and she wanted to kick herself for putting her assignment off for so long. She had had a week to do it! A week! But instead, she had procrastinated until she'd realized those clouds meant bad news, and that if she waited any longer, she would have missed her window at least until the thaw.

And then it might be too late, at least until next winter.

The snow began to come down harder as Teidra reached the hill's top, but she ignored it, shaking her head and flicking her ears to keep the snow off of her. Crouching down, she began to dig.

Matra had said she should look on this hill, but so far, no luck. With a grimace, Teidra tried another spot, cursing her stupidity, and then--

"Ow!"

Her hands found the thorns before she found the flower and she popped her torn finger in her mouth with a glower down at the snow. But there it was, the little frozen flower, and, moving more carefully, she started to dig around it so she could uproot it instead of pluck it.

By the time she'd gotten it up by the roots, the snow was coming down in earnest, a white wall she couldn't see through, the wind pulling at her cloak and threatening to grow stronger. The storm had come on faster than she'd estimated.

And now, she was stuck.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

EmberWishes

((May I? :3))

Sapphire ducked low, as if the snow only started three feet above the ground, and it would be better to be low. She fastened her hood tighter around her head, shielding her icy blonde hair from the cold blast. It wouldn't be long before this whole place was like a tundra. If she wanted to get back to her cabin, she needed to be fast.

As she trudged through the snow, her usual agile frame now sturdy and slow, she caught the smell of blood in the air before it whipped away from her again. Turning sharply at the smell, she scanned the white landscape around her, trying to determine which way it came from before the blizzard changed the wind again. She spotted a dark shape not too far from her. Prey, out here? It would be unusual. She drew her pair of daggers from their sheaths and dashed forwards towards the shape. She had food at home, but more always helped. But as she drew closer, the figure looked humanoid, and she paused. 'You there!' she called after a moment. 'Who are you, and why are you here?'

Rhindeer

[Of course! 8D]

It was the crunching of snow that first warned her she wasn't alone.

Heart leaping into her throat, Teidra put the flower between her teeth and jerked her head up, ears perked and eyes wide as she searched for the sound. But it was hard to make out much in the snowstorm, and her pulse quickened when she could see nothing. While she had been debating digging out a hollow and waiting out the storm, now she knew she had to keep moving and fast. It could be anything, and she feared it might be an Iannu.

Dropping down low again and flattening her ears, she started to back up, keeping her eyes fixed in the sound's direction, and that was when a voice came over the wind and a shape loomed in the distance.

Erk! She'd been seen!

"U-uh...I'm...no one?" she called back, voice a little muffled since she held a flower between her teeth. She took another retreating step. "Who are you? What do you want?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

EmberWishes

She heard the hesitant voice float back to her and had to suppress a laugh. Of all the things she expected the stranger to say, "no one" was not high on the list. She moved forward as fast as the snow would allow, lower her daggers slightly, but not by much. 'Sapphire. I'm Sapphire,' she said, nearly shouting to be heard over the wind. 'I don't want anything. If you stay here, the cold will get you.' She jabbed a dagger up at the sky to emphasise her point. She was disappointed that it hadn't been food, but she wasn't going to hurt this person. So she started to back away, getting ready to leave. 'You should get inside!' she called.

Rhindeer

Oh, it was a human. (Or so she thought, unable to see fine details like ears at this distance.) That was a bit of a relief...she thought. Teidra didn't much like the look of those daggers, and had to wonder why the woman had them unsheathed. The thought unnerved her, and she pulled her cloak in tighter as though that would protect her.

On the other hand, why would the woman be waving her weapons around if she intended harm? That might seem like backwards logic, but if she were a predator, she wouldn't have let herself be seen--and she would have been more careful with her weapons so as not to spook potential prey. Predators tended to be a bit more...sneaky than that. That, and she'd never heard of a human eating her kind.

Relaxing a little, Teidra relented. Besides, the woman had a point.

Straightening up, Teidra started after her. "Inside?" she called after her, squinting against the snow. "Inside where? I've not seen a structure for miles."

EmberWishes

She heard the woman speak again and paused, looking behind her. There was no structure for miles that the stranger knew of, but there was one. Sapphire didn't feel like sharing. People in general were a thing to be avoided, and inviting this person back to where she sometimes slept broke almost every rule in her survival book. But technically, the place didn't even belong to her. She growled at herself under breath, already predicting what she was going to do. Sheathing her daggers, she waved the person over. 'If you want to die, stay out here. If you want to live, come with me. I know a place. But keep up!' she said, promising herself that if the stranger was too slow, she would leave her behind.

Wicked Basket

Carlyle trudged through the blizzard with his creation Cecil close behind. He was looking for a rare red flower with incredible healing properties. Healing concoctions sold extremely well, especially when such a fine ingredient such as that flower was in it. It also allowed him to mark the price very high. Cecil gurgled behind.
"What is it," Carlyle asked the creature.
Cecil pointed at two figures a short distance away.
"Yes, excellent idea. Let's see if they know something. Make yourself scarce, my friend. We don't wish to frighten them."
Cecil gurgled another reply before vanishing into the snowstorm. Carlyle began approaching the two figures. He was hoping to find that flower fast. It was too cold to be all the way out in the middle of nowhere.

Rhindeer

After some hesitation, Teidra took a deep breath and followed after the woman. What choice did she have? She could try to brave the elements, sure, for she had been taught what to do should she ever find herself in this situation. But knowing and doing were different things. Either way, she was taking a risk--risking her safety on this woman, or risking her safety on the elements.

She decided to try the woman. She could fight a human if it came down to it, but she couldn't fight nature.

Picking up her pace, she adjusted the flower in her teeth so as to avoid the thorns threatening to dig into her lips. Before long, she had caught up to the woman, falling into stride beside her.

"Thank you," she said with a small smile, peering up at her.

And she might have said more if the wind hadn't brought a new scent her way. Sure enough, when she turned to look, she saw a blurry shape in the distance--and it was growing larger, meaning it was headed their way. And to think, she had thought she was alone when she had come out here! Turned out this place was more popular than she'd thought.

Drawing closer to the woman, she reached out and tugged at her sleeve. "Excuse me," she said, still throwing glances behind her as she tried to make out the steadily approaching figure. "I think we're being followed. Did you...were you traveling with someone?"

EmberWishes

Sapphire sensed another two presences near her, but as she turned to look for them, following her new companion's words, she saw only one other figure. Frowning, she evaluated the possibility of danger. If this new stranger wanted to hurt her, they weren't doing a very good job of trying. She was in her element here. Turning to judge the distance of her hidden cabin, she carried on trudging forward, waving an arm at the new figure, beckoning them to follow. They weren't far now. 'No, I wasn't. And I am not going to get caught in this blizzard waiting for either of you. Whatever they want, they can ask in the warm.'

She moved through the snow in silence then, using the subtle rises in the landscape to gauge where the door would be. Finally she stopped, looking around to make sure. Yes, her cabin was here. She waited for her two followers to catch up to her.

Wicked Basket

Carlyle was a bit shocked to see one of the figures beckon him to follow. This was going to be easier than he thought. He pressed on until he caught up with the two of them.
"Much appreciated, stranger," he said cheerfully.
He should have one of those flowers in no time.

EmberWishes

Sapphire inspected her two companions critically. She didn't trust either of them. They both seemed too innocent. Innocence in any but children was always an act. But she couldn't turn them away now. The horizons around them could not be seen through the white wind. She flexed her fingers, her hands bursting into flames, then knelt down, pushing her hands into the snow, the fire growing rather than becoming extinguished. A large chunk of snow melted away, revealing deep underneath one single, heavy wooden door flat against the ground. She yanked it open, snow already beginning to pile up again, then reached in and grabbed a long stick just inside the entrance way. She thrust it upright into the ground next to the door, signalling to any other strays, if they were still alive, that there was a door there, even if it was going to be buried under drifts of snow again. Then she hopped inside, expecting the strangers to follow. Inside was a short corridor, or tunnel, leading to another, more homely door into the cabin. She walked forward and let herself in, calling back to the strangers. 'Shut both the doors behind you, and make sure they're secure.'

She wondered what the strangers wanted, then recalled seeing an Yyndris flower with her first companion. They wouldn't come all the way out here, now, for that, would they? Before the others followed her in, she reached over to the counter where she had six of them growing in the soil she had found them in nearby. She had taken them not long ago, aware of their healing properties, and nurtured them using her elemental magic. Picking them up, she quickly hid them in the draw below, locking it. Sapphire was already sharing this cabin that she had claimed. She wasn't going to give everything away.

Rhindeer

A door in the ground! Well, that was clever! If a little...worrisome.

Teidra paused at the entrance, sniffing cautiously. Once she was down there, she would be down there a long time. At least until the blizzard passed, so a day, maybe more...which wasn't long, but it would be a long time if these two strangers proved bad. But, standing there with the wind tearing at her cloak and numbing her limbs, she knew she didn't have much of a choice.

She turned, found a space to the left of the door, and dug a shallow hole. She dropped the Yyndris there and buried it in snow just as fast. There. Even uprooted, the flower would survive so long as it was frozen in the snow. With one last fleeting look at the spot, Teidra dropped down through the door and landed with a soft thud on her hooves, then headed down the tunnel to the cabin, marveling at the ingenuity.

Teidra left the doors open behind her as she stepped inside the cabin, knowing the other stranger was close behind. Then, awkwardly, she stood in the room, rubbing her cold hands together and looking for the woman...Sapphire? Was that her name? She spotted her near a counter.

"Thank you for having me, miss," she said, and gave a little bow from the waist. "I, um, I might've been in trouble if you hadn't come by!"

EmberWishes

'Don't mention it,' Sapphire said, moving to grab some provisions. She threw some blankets on a chair next to the small table, then laid out some cooked meat and bread. It was hardly welcoming, and hardly a feast, but it was better than nothing. She knew how bad she was with people, so this, for her, was trying. 'Eat and get warm. Stay as long as you want. It's anyone's cabin, really.'

Wicked Basket

Carlyle dug up what the one before him had buried. It was a small red flower, undoubtedly the kind he was looking for. Carlyle buried it back up and went inside, shutting the door behind him. He would just have to leave before the one who buried it, and it would be his. Carlyle took a look around.

"Nice place you got here. Very cozy, and cleverly hidden. I should get one."

Rhindeer

The sight and smell of food made Teidra's belly gurgle, reminding her that she had been out all day. With a nod at Sapphire, she started for the table and paused, remembering her cloak and the coat beneath. It was covered in snow, and soon that would melt in the warmth and make a mess.

"Oh, ah, just one second." Pausing, she removed her cloak and the thick, furred coat beneath, under which she wore a long-sleeved tunic and buckskin breeches. She shook the snow from her cloak and coat and headed for the door, figuring she could hang them to dry where they were out of the way.

She was halfway there when the other figure entered--a tall, dark-haired man. With a small squeak of surprise, since she came very close to running into him, she took a couple steps back and cleared her throat, ears laid back sheepishly.

"Sorry! Pardon. I didn't see you there. Uh, I'm just gonna..." She pointed behind him, indicating she wanted to get passed him, and then stepped to the side to let him by.

Wicked Basket

Carlyle had still been admiring the place when one of the strangers nearly bumped into him. This one was clearly not human, more closely resembling a tiger-human hybrid.
"My apologies, young lady," Carlyle said, moving aside. "I have never seen anything like you before. May I ask what you are?"

EmberWishes

She sat in one of the chairs and put her feet up, resting her boots on the thicken wooden table. She wanted to ask the man who his companion had been. Her senses had never let her down before, so she knew he hadn't been alone. But instead she listened in silence, taking a bread roll from the plate in front of her with one hand. With her other, she flexed her fingers in the direction of the cosy fireplace opposite the door, lighting it and warming the cabin.

Rhindeer

Teidra stared up at him.

"Wha...? What am I? What kind of question is...?"

It wasn't everyday you were asked what you were and, to be honest, the question was rather rude! For a second, her lips twitched as she stared up at him, brow furrowing a bit, but then she swallowed down the wave of indignation. Okay. It wasn't too terrible of a question, and he was obviously trying to be delicate about it, and it was true that her kind and humans didn't have much contact, only with some of the local tribes, so...

Smoothing her expression out, she smiled and stepped past him, placing her things by the door. "I'm tuathi, sir," she said, turning back toward him when she was done. She ran a hand through her hair, untangling some of the strands from around her horns. "I'm sorry, it's just...I understand our people don't interact much. As for who I am, my name's Teidra. And you are?"

Wicked Basket

"Forgive me. I didn't mean to be rude," Carlyle said politely. "Tuathi, how exotic. Very interesting. My name is Carlyle. I'm a chemist and scientist from Connlaoth. I'm sure you haven't heard of me."

Rhindeer

Exotic? Teidra raised an eyebrow but said nothing. Instead, she simply shook her head at his question and turned, starting to head back for the table where the food and blankets were.

"I'm afraid I haven't. I don't even know what those things you mentioned are," she said, meaning "scientist", "chemist", and "Connlaoth". "But 'Connlaoth' is...a place?"

She rubbed her nose. "I think I may have heard of that before..."