Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When Fate Comes a'Knocking (Goblin)

Started by Zero, January 24, 2014, 07:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

That was hardly deserving of a comment, it almost didn't even get an eyeroll, but Erthe decided to at least expend that much effort. The kid wasn't that great at hiding what he was up to. Of course, the boy had been fixated on him since he arrived. Childish curiosity, no doubt, but slightly annoying still. It was a good thing he was so patient.

Ears drooped almost as soon as he stepped into the room, dark eyes taking in everything from the warming fire to the steaming water. Sighing, he just shook his head. It would figure that these strange people would try to give him a room like this. When Janus plopped in a chair he just raised an eyebrow at the kid. Was he expecting him to bathe with him just sitting there?

"I think you're all crazy. I am a slave. Is that so difficult to understand?" He waved at the fancy room, all the little luxuries they were lavishing on him. "Why does she mock me with all this?"

GoblinFae

Janus tilted his head to the side, trying to understand Erthe but completely failing to. "No? So you're a slave, big deal. Primmy isn't mocking you, she is offering you respect as a living being. You know though," he paused to look at the door as if afraid someone would barge in before continuing.

"Lord Dragoslav, that's Primmy's daddy by the way, wasn't always Lord Dragoslav. Before he was a slave like you. He won his freedom and was so brave and strong that he became a dragonrider and earned himself both land and title!"

The boy sighed and sprawled back in the chair in awe. "He's mine hero. The story of a slave become a nobleman is like one of those silly books Primmy reads but my mother told me that it really happened. And now you know," he said with a sagely nod.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zero

Why couldn't they understand that it was a big deal? Maybe they didn't think so, but he did. Then again, he was a slave and his thoughts and opinions didn't matter. It was probably best to just to accept it and get this over and done with as soon as possible.

Then Janus told Erthe something that made his entire world shake to its very foundations. That wasn't possible. It wasn't. Never in his fifty-seven years had Erthe ever heard of such a thing as a slave earning or wining his freedom. No one had ever even given him such an option. Not even his beloved Tara, who had claimed to love him all those years ago.

"I see." He said quietly. It would be unthinkable to claim the boy was lying, but that didn't mean he could just swallow such a story and believe it to be fact. Surely it was just an embellishment. Perhaps Lord Drgoslav had been a simple knight and earned his way up. The story of a slave doing so would have just been more dramatic...

"Turn around for a minute." Contemplating the fact that the bath would get cold if he didn't take advantage of it, he began undressing, starting with the vest. When the boy was looking away, Erthe discarded his clothes quickly and stepped into the tub, settling down in the hot water with a sigh. It had probably been twenty years since he'd had a hot bath.

GoblinFae

"Can I look now?" he asked, turning to peek from between his fingers at the man now submerged within the tub. When his eyes caught sight of the scars decorating Erthe's body though, Janus quickly forgot that he was supposed to not be looking and he immediately jumped to his feet to stare slack-jawed at the display.

"Wow," he breathed. "Did you fight in a war? Were there werewolves? How did you get all those scars? Have you ever killed someone before? You must be a really good fighter," he commented, asking questions so fast that once he was done he was gasping for air. Janus had been just a babe when the lord of the manor had died and therefore did not remember what a battle-worn male looked like. Aside from Harkness, Erthe was the first "soldier" he had ever seen up close.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zero

Erthe just rolled his eyes when the boy asked if he could look now. If the drow had it his way the boy would be somewhere else. Even for a slave, the past few weeks had been brutal. He'd traveled a long, long way and now he just wanted to get clean and go to sleep. How he was supposed to sleep on the huge bed was anyone's guess. As soon as he heard the 'wow' he knew that sleep was probably going to be elusive for quite a while yet.

Picking up the soap and washcloth he began lathering, scrubbing away the dirt and grim. "I'm told my father was killed by a werewolf - can't say I've ever fought one myself. I've never been in a war, but I've killed people, and it doesn't matter how I got the scars." 2,884 people, to be exact. That number haunted Erthe's mind. Every single person he had ever killed, none of them had deserved it. 

GoblinFae

The boy's enthusiasm was muted as he heard the fate of Erthe's father and he hung his head in sorrow. "I'm sorry for your loss, Erthe. I did not mean to offend you. I did not know. That must have been hard on you. I know it makes Primmy really sad when she remembers something about her father. She loved him very much."

He paused for a few moments keeping silent before hopping off the chair and returning back to his smiling self. "So how do you fight? With a sword?" He gesticulated the action by mock-stabbing an enemy, "or with your fists." His turned to that of a boxer as he made quick jabs, circling an unseen foe.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zero

Erthe paused in his scrubbing, turning his head to look at Janus in confusion. Why was he sorry? Why would he be offended? Death and separation was a major part of slave families. Both of his parents had been dead by the time he was three. "I wasn't offended. I didn't know my father, he died before I was born. I don't even know much about him."

It didn't take any time at all for the boy to be back to his smiling, questioning self. The drow sighed and went back to grooming himself. It felt good to be clean. Cold creek water just didn't do the job like a nice, steaming bath. "I fight with whatever they give me to fight with. Swords, axes, pikes, maces, and yes, sometimes my bare hands."

GoblinFae

Janus' eyes bugged out as he listened to the list of items Erthe had fought with. In an instant he was beside Erthe, standing on his tiptoes to look up at the Drow as his hands gripped the edge of the tub tightly, to prevent him from falling in.

"Can you teach me?! I want to learn to do those things!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zero

Erthe blinked and jerked back a little, leaning away from the boy that was gripping the side of the tub and staring up at him. What the heck was wrong with this kid? Did he not know anything about personal space? The drow didn't like people being so close to him, and downright hated being touched.

"I'm not going to be here after tomorrow, and I don't think your parents would appreciate me teaching you violence. It isn't something to sound so eager about."

GoblinFae

"Primmy's already taught me how to use a practice sword. But, she's a girl and surely you know more than her if you've actually fought people before, right? Besides, Primmy always comes back. Not like you can't just come with her," Janus huffed with a roll of his eyes.

He rocked back onto his heels, still gripping the edge of the tub and shook his head. "Honestly, it's not that difficult an idea. I'm not that stupid."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zero

Primrose had taught him how to use a practice sword? What kind of behavior was that for a noblewoman? Erthe thought that noble ladies were prim, posh, and soft. While he certainly thought that Primrose was unusual, he hadn't thought that she would be running around playing with toy swords.

"I don't know that Lady Dragoslov will ever return, young sir. She's going to be married to some man her uncle has chosen for her. I don't know that her husband, whoever he may be, would permit her to return to Adela. Even if she did return, I would not be allowed to return with her. I'm a slave, I only go where my master commands."

The words were spoken with a matter-of-fact tone. The child was naive, and while he could almost envy such a quality, he had never had the luxury of living in a pretty world.

GoblinFae

Janus shrugged. "She always goes away to get married and then in a few months time comes back unmarried. Just the way things are. S'not like this time is going to be any different. 'Sides, Adela is her home, no husband can keep her from here. She was born here. And you don't know if your master wouldn't let you come with her. I mean if he sent you all this way to come get her. He'd probably send you to take her back too, right?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zero

Always goes away to get married? Erthe blinked at the child, wondering just how many times the lady had been dragged away to get married and gotten out of it. Well it hardly mattered to him, all he carried about was getting her safely to her uncle, that was the task he was given. What happened after that was none of his business.

"I don't know. He looked like he'd tasted something nasty every time he laid eyes on me. I don't think my life is going to get any easier once I bring the lady to him." The drow shrugged his heavy shoulders. "It doesn't really matter. My only purpose is to obey my master anyway."

GoblinFae

"Yeah well don't feel bad about that," the boy said in a comforting manner, patting a hand on Erthe's back. "He don't like nobody. Probably best he doesn't like you. If he did, he'd give ya hell like Primmy and nobody want that, nope nope."

He shook his head, confirming that what he spoke of truly was not good before stepping away. "So canna get you anything?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zero

The drow felt a tenseness ripple through his muscles as the boy patted him on the back. Erthe hated to be touched, it made his skin crawl. There had been a time, however briefly, when touching and being touched had been something he cherished, those stolen moments with Tara, but other than that, most of his experience was painful. Stinging whips and biting steel, no one ever touched to soothe, only maim.

"It isn't required for my master to like me, and I don't care if he does or doesn't." He said flatly, eyes closing lightly, before a flash of annoyance crossed his face. "You can let me finish my bath." He grumbled in that soft, gruff voice.

Erthe wasted no time, the water was already lukewarm at best and would be cold before much longer, so he finished scrubbing and washed his hair hastily. Doing his best to ignore the child that was nearby.

GoblinFae

Janus' eyes widened as he hopped back. "Oops! Sorry about that," apologized, finally seeming to realize that he was disturbing a man trying to bathe. "I'll uh," he pointed behind himself," just be going then.

The boy turned to leave before pausing as if seeming to remember something. Sure enough, he turned about face and said, "I knew forgot something. Ma would have my hide if I left without 'em." He promptly scooped up Erthe's dirty clothes and made a bolt for the door.

"See you tomorrow," he chirped on the way out. "Just give a holler if you need anything."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zero

Erthe turned abruptly, watching Janus grab up his dirty clothes and then make a hasty exit. "Wait - what? Hey bring those back!"

The drow was too late. The boy had vanished, with the only clothes he had. Making a growl of frustration he got out of the tub, wrapping one towel around his waist he found another to dry the rest of him. Well, he might not have anything to wear for the rest of the night, but at least the kid and all his questions were gone.

Actually, why should it matter that his clothes were gone anyway? They'd give them back, and it wasn't as if he was always permitted real clothes. Just being in this house, and with all the weird things that had happened since he arrived had put him on edge. Dropping the used towels in a neat pile by the tub, he made his way over to the large, fluffy bed.

Resting naked under the sheets and covers felt odd, they were so nice, and the bed was so soft and warm. There was no way he could ever get to sleep in such ridiculous frivolity. Except as soon as he closed his eyes, Erthe had fallen into a gentle dreams of a more pleasant time in his life. By morning he would be laying on his stomach, arms wrapped about the pillow, and the sheets resting at his waist.

GoblinFae

Come morning's light Erthe's clothes were freshly laundered and on their way back to him care of Jolie. She carefully opened the door, not wishing to disturb the guest as she moved further into the room to place them on the table by his bedside. The cook would not normally have paused at his side, but the maternal desire to pull his bedcovers up and tuck him in compelled her to do so.

Yet, once she stopped she was heartbroken at the damage she saw. The drow's scars were extensive and Jolie found herself gasping softly at the sight, her eyes filling with tears. She clapped her hand over her mouth as her other hand reached forward as if to offer him comfort. Gathering, herself she reached down and brought the sheet up over him, hoping it would not wake him.

"Poor boy," she whispered softly, feeling incredible pity for him and hatred for those that had done it to him.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zero

As soon as Erthe had closed his eyes, he'd begun dreaming. In his sweet night wanderings he was back in the old manor house with the Lady Servile and Tara. He relived those blissful days of hiding in shadowy corners with his sweetheart, stealing kisses at every opportunity. He stirred and rolled in his sleep, recalling things that were best left forgotten. At least in his dreams, they were still together.

A silent tear rolled from the corner of his eye, before he slowly opened his deep crimson eyes. That was a dream he could have never woken from and been perfectly happy. It had been the most foolish thing he'd ever done, falling in love with someone like her. They had never stood a chance of maintaining such love. For a slave like him, well, love just wasn't something he was really at luxury to have.

Sighing softly he glanced over and realized that his clothes were clean and neatly folded on the bedside table. The drow blinked, it was awfully light in the room. Someone had already come in to bring his clothes and here he was still sleeping like a bum, they hadn't even disturbed him when they came and left.

Sheepishly he hurriedly dressed and then made his bed, not really sure if they would be stripping the sheets for cleaning or not, but wanting to be as little burden as possible. Making his way to the door he pulled it open and peeked into the hallway. He'd over slept and wasn't sure what to really expect.

GoblinFae

Jolie had moved onto Primrose's room to find the young woman already dressed and staring out her bedroom window. There was a sadness about the noblewoman's face that broke the cook's heart to see it. Primrose had told Janus before going to bed of the contents of the letter with instructions to prepare things for her departure in the morning.

While all the other times Primrose had been sent off to marry had filled Jolie's heart with worry, she felt so much worse off this time around. Before, the young woman had always had a spirit in fight in her to come back home. The cook was not so sure there was much left of that fire within her though. With Harkness' death, Primrose had become a shell of her former self. Jolie dreaded that this would be the last day she ever saw her mistress unwed.

Yet, in the blink of an eye the look was gone and the Primrose of old was smiling at the old cook. "Did he sleep well?"

Jolie smiled. It was so like her young mistress to worry about others before herself. "He was still asleep when I brought him clean clothes. I hope you don't mind I left them and let him sleep. Poor boy looked like he needed the rest," Jolie stated, continuing when it seemed that Primrose was not going to say anything more. "Why these clothes dearie?" The cook motioned her hand towards the noblewoman's attire, eyes widened in surprise at seeing something she considered quite improper.

Primrose had donned the garb of a woman of Connlaoth. Instead of a simple yet traditional dress, she had chosen a form-fitting blouse and trousers. A pair of thick-soled riding boats sat at the end of the bed as she still stood in her stocking feet. Her long flaxen hair hung wild and free down her back and across her shoulders.

"Better to ride in Jolie. Uncle wishes I make haste in my arrival and horseback is the fastest way I know of getting there short of magic. I was hoping you could do me a favor though," she said shyly, playing with a strand of her hair.

"Of course! Anything, Prim, you know that," came the whispered answer.

The noblewoman sat down at her dresser and picked up a brush, looking at the older woman through her mirror. "Would you braid my hair?"

Jolie laughed and stepped up to take the brush from Primrose. She had no done this since the girl had been small and realized as she brushed the long hair, she had missed caring for the woman. Ever since she had grown up, Primrose had been rather independent. It was small things such as this that reminded those that served her just how much they loved the one they secretly saw as sister and daughter.

In no time at all it seemed, Primrose's hair was being tied off into a thick braid that Jolie pulled to rest over the girl's shoulder. She then hugged her former ward tightly from behind and kissed her cheek. No words were spoken between the two yet the younger woman hugged her second mother back just as tightly and squeezed her eyes shut against tears that dared to fill her eyes.

Just as suddenly as they had embraced they parted and Jolie left to retrieve the breakfast rolls she had made specifically for the departing travelers. Primrose stayed longer at her dresser, staring stone-faced at her own reflection. She could not say how much time had passed before she heard the sounds of room's neighbor awake and moving about. Kicking herself to get a move on, she finally swept up her boots and was hopping into the second one as she stumbled out into the hall.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]