Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Harm Ever Came From Reading A Book

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2014, 06:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Artemis was taken back, gaping at such a scene and not knowing what to say or do. This was a most unusual and horrid day for her, but when the librarian came running out, he suddenly let out a sharp cry.

"What is this nonsense!? What is going on here!?" And he approached the guards all red-faced and when they explained to Obert that the man had been talking back, Obert grew furious, and even angrier when he spotted Artemis nearby.

"If you are to blame ANYONE, it was this woman! She had upset our patron and it is only natural he would be enraged! Seems to me her antics have continued with her onto the streets!"

Artemis, offended, took a step back as she stared at her 'former' boss, appalled.

"How dare you blame this on me! I would never be so foolish as to talk back to the guards! Even if I were angry and I-"

"Just hold up your bickering, you two." And the man turned from Artemis back to the librarian. "Now what are you going on about, sir?"

"This woman, RIGHT HERE!" he said, nearly spitting his words as he jabbed his fingers in the air at her accusingly. "SHE is the reason for this man being so upset! She threw books at him, ripped his pants, then rushed off and left him high and dry without the book he requested after I fired her!"

And it was in that moment the large guards turned to face her. Beneath their hulking gaze, she cowered and felt a knot form in her throat.

"Is that true, Miss?"

"I... well... It... no, no.. well, not all of it and I.. well he..."
But no matter how muhc she babbled, Obert went on a tirade and before Artemis knew it, she was thrown against the nearby fountain and her hands forced ebhind her back and cuffed.

"BUT I DIDN'T! DO ANYTHING!" Came her calls from inside the cell, after both she and Caelwyn were thrown into it. "You must believe me! PLEASE!" But the guards only laughed at her.

"You'll spend at least a week in here for your time if you keep that up. Now shut up while we right up this report!"

Cringing, Artemis leaned into the cell bars. Oh boy, what a mess she was in! How was she to fix this!? How could she even get out of here!?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

They were both dragged off to the Uthlyn jail and by the time Caelwyn came too, his head was throbbing and he was laying on a metal bench with blood dried all along his head.  He groaned and sat up, nursing his head and look around him. He jumped up and gasped.  "Oh gods no!  NO!"  And he rushed to the tiny barred window that was his only view to the outside world!

He looked across to the person in the cell across from him and he pulled on the bars.  "You!  Why did you put me here, you terrible woman!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

"Me?" Artemis was taken back, a hand to her chest as she was looking away from the jail cell bars. "How on earth is this my fault?" She shook her head and made a face. "Do I need to remind you of the spectacle you made of yourself int he street? Those were very rude things to say! And need I state how uncivil you were towards the guards?" Really, did he need a lecture in manners?
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

No, no he did not.  But things were really looking south now and it was hard to stay in a cheer mood when moments of research were literally slipping out of your fingers.  Caelwyn sighed and relaxed against the bars.  He swallowed hard on a dry throat so much so that it looked painful for him to do so as the words were forced from his mouth.  "I'm...sorry!"

"Look, I was only upset because you were being just as stubborn as I was, and don't you deny it!  I wasn't trying to make a scene, but I wasn't about to let you get away with something precious to me, something I need! And need it still!  Just what the hell were you arrested for anyway?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Artemis looked at him, her expression wavering slightly at his apology. If he could call that an apology it felt... huffed and... off. But perhaps he did mean it. She tried to shake off her own irritation, but frankly she was more tired and scared then anything.

She turned away from him and shook her head at his question.
"They blamed me for assaulting you. My former boss rushed out of the library in such a frenzy and pointed fingers at me for being the reaosn you're.. you're.." her eyes flickered over his form. "In such dissarray."
She turned away, nose a bit to the air. "Naturally I tried to deny it, but they believed that horrid man and now here I am. And they decided a shared cell for that matter as well."

Sighing,s he finally let out a hot breath befrore turning to him.
"And I apologize as well. I never meant to drop all of those books on you.." then her gaze dropped to his pants before she turned away, nervously biting a finger nail. "And well.." She continued, clearing her throat and brushing some dark hair from her face. "And about.. about your pants."
And nervously she folded her arms across her chest and avoided his gaze, cheeks flushed.

Lion

It was all just a lovely bundle of circumstances and Caelwyn threw his head back and blinked up at the sky.  "Oh gods," he murmured.  "This day really can't get any worse.  He looked down at his tatted trousers and shrugged, leaning on the bars and pressing his face against the dirty iron bars.  "Well, I suppose worse things could have happened.  Did those guards at least say how long we were going to be in here for?  Me for public aggravation and you for assault.  I'm not pressing charges anyway..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis went quiet as she frowned.
"They said at least a week if I didn't stop complaining, so I don't know." She sighed and stared down at her boots. "And I haven't got the sort of money it takes to get myself out of here. So unless they're forgiving, I'll probably have to wait out my sentence here." And she took a wilted seat on a dirty bench that rested against the back wall.

Lion

Caelwyn sighed and suddenly perked up.  "Bail," be said.  "We can make bail.  Guard!  Guaaard!"

The bowlegged man waddled down the aisle with the jingle of keys banging on his belt.  "Look, Sir.  I know you probably get a lot of trouble from the prisoners here but I assure you me and my acquaintance here have learned our lesson and would like to post bail.  What is it for the two of us?"

The man gave it some thought before he glanced at Caelwyn with a scowl.  "I think 500 will secure your release!" 

"Done!" Caelwyn beamed.  "Give me a paper and quill please!  I'll have the bail money within the hour!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

The jailor just looked at Caelwyn.
Then laughed, and laughed...

.... and laughed some more.

"Within the hour, huh? And how do you expect to get any money locked up in here?"

It was here Artemis stood up, approaching the bars.
"To ask for a requested, visitor! Naturally.." she siad, looking over at Caelwyn and hoping to god he had someone he could contact around here. She sure didn't and it would take a while to get work back to her home.. and how would she explain? Not that they had any money for bail...

Lion

"I have associates, cretin.  Don't speak more than your share, you'll make everyone's mind shrink all the more for it," Caelwyn glowered before finishing his note, after the guard reluctantly handed them over.  "Get this quickly to a man named Serling!  A prisoner is allowed to send messages to his colleagues is he not?  I told him to ensure you got a ten percent commission on top of that, so don't mess this up!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

The guard took the note but glowered at Caelwyn. The man was positively rude!
"I'll see what I can do," the man growled, and waddled off.

Sighing at his disappearing form, Artemis shook her head and turned to Caelwyn. "That's great. Now what? What if he doesn't deliver the letter?" She'd hate to think she'd have to spend anymore time in this filthy jail!

Lion

"There's as much a chance he will as he will not,"Caelwyn said once the jailer had disappeared.  "We can only wait and see if Serling is even in town.  It's not a question of if he's heard the news that I've been arrested, I'll wager he no doubt has, it's whether or not he wants to be associated with Caelwyn Caye at this point.  But Serling is the gullible sort and he's busied himself with a conscious and academia of the emotional variety."

Caelwyn shrugged and smiled at the culmination of his circumstances.  "It was only a matter of time before someone saw it fit to lock me up.  What about you?  You come here often?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis blinked a few times at that statement.
"What? No!" She shook her head and furrowed her brows, obviously offended. "Why I would never! And I can not believe you'd inquire! No," she placed her hands to her hips. "This is my first time." And she turned away from him, not really wanting to look at him right now. That statement had made her angry. "Most of my days are spent int he library," she muttered. Sixteen hours, give or take, he practically lived there and when she was home- she barely got a wink of sleep. Just a quick  meal, an update on her family then off to bed. THe only one who had it worse was her brother, Arrick, and she knew he'd have a fit if she were in jail!

Lion

Caelwyn raised a brow at her and  shrugged, crossing his arm over his chest and leaning on the side of the cell.  "Well the least I can say is this place is cleaner than most of the holes I spend my days in," He commented idly before turning his gaze back to her.  "Look about the whole library thing  was but a set of sorry circumstances.  You didn't happen to read any part of the Geodatus did you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis would have felt more relief if his apology was not so hasty. Twisting an expression his way, she frowned.
"How do you mean? I haven't had it long- just a chance to skim some of the pages. The book looked interesting.. " she looked him over skeptically. "Why?"

Lion

[Lol.  He didn't apologize 8D]

Caelwyn quirked a brow at her and smirked.  "I was only making conversation, seeing as we're right across from each other.  What about the book interested you?  I've been looking for it for at least six months myself but discovered quickly that all the copy were destroyed over the years, save the one!  I can only hope you've treated it fairly in the short time its been in your possession.  It's an extremely delicate tome."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

OOC: Oh right, BUT HE ADMITTED (sorta) it wasn't her fault? :P

---

Artemis blinked at his question.
"Well, it's a history book, and considering I've read most of the ones already at the library, seeing s we had gotten in some new stock and this one sounded most intriguing, I figured on taking it home. I had only really flipped through the pages..."
She shook her head, frowning at his last statement before replying. "I keep all of my books well." Though to be fair, it was simply laying on her unmade bed at home- and hopefully none of her younger siblings had messed with it! For if they did... she had a feelig this man would be quite upset for it.

Lion

"Good. I'd hate for something to happen to it.  It's a rare book.  Perhaps the rarest and a vital element to my research," Caelwyn said with a huff.  He cut his eyes to the way the jailer went and raised the brow.  "Where is tha buffoon!?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis frowned and looked the man over. He was an impatient one. Then again, she was panicking too- but not to this degree!
"What sorts of things were you looking for? I mean, to have come all this way for a book, it's obviously important, but I don't think I understand why you're so afraid. Is the book wicked? Or magical?" Oh! She hoped not, and just thinking about it put a chill inside her belly.

Lion

Caelwyn made a face that almost seemed a scoff, but was of more disbelief than anything else.  "Why neither!  I am simply anxious to have come so far and have it be so close yet so far out of reach is all!" he said and grinned widely.  "Why don't you understand!?  It's not about the book, it never is!  It's about the pursuit!  Books contain stories and tales and legends and theories and ideas about things, places, peoples events, history!  Legends and myths all have their basis in fact.  The pursuit, Miss Longfellow, is the key to it all.  A man cannot write a book without prior knowledge or experience or some kind of interest in the topic at hand.  But he must hunt for that knowledge, he must fight for it.  Pursue it.  You must understand, working in a library.  Don't you ever just want to ... leave!?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn