Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Harm Ever Came From Reading A Book

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2014, 06:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Artemis was taken back. That was quite the mouthful, but as she blinked, she registered his last statement with a frown.
"Sure, who does not day dream such things. But I don't work in a library for free, and the pay is not that well. Travel is not exactly something I'll be able to just... do." She said witha  frown. "It's not practical. Not for someone like me." And she sighed. "But yes... yes... leaving always sounded wonderful. But it was my job. And I have a family to support." Which meant dreams were meant for somebody else.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"Bah!  But this is more than a dream," Caelwyn pressed.  "I've seen things that could make your jaw never close again, so in awe you would be.  To dig and discover and learn things you never thought you could learn about where you come from, where you're going, where you belong.  Bah...stuck in a library."  He made a suffered moan at the thought and turned his eyes to the ceiling.  "Heaven help me if I ever get stuck in such a routine.  I would go mad if I were ever cooped up in such a place, with so many chains around me.  But we each have a place where we belong on this plane, some are meant to write the books.  And others are just meant to shelve them."  He frowned and glanced across the aisle to her.

"But I guess you'll have to find new work now.  I'm sure there are dozens of libraries in this city."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Artemis frowned, evidently hurt by what he said, even if he didn't mean it as she cast her gaze to the ground.
"Yes... I'm sure there are," she muttered softly. Except the country was at war-a nd the smaller libraries and book shops were being closed left and right. Uthlyn became a penny pinching town, and the poorer people were hurting all the more for it. She simply sighed. It wasn't his problem. He wouldn't understand or care.

Though she was jealous of him. Seemed he was able to live out his dream, while she was always stuck only living it out in day dreams, just like she was imaginging now...
a world so far away, so far awy from this place and fantastical.

But then again, anything was better than jail.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

It took forever for the money to reach Serling, but once it had, the old university colleague had found his way to the jailhouse and secured their release.  But before the jailer unlocked his cell door, Serling just wanted the minor satisfaction of seeing Caelwyn behind bars.

"Well, you certainly took your time in getting here!" the archaeologist scowled.

"Oh don't start that now, Caelwyn!  You know I came here as soon as I could."

Caelwyn scowled and turned his eyes to the jailer.  "Right, because I sent that note out TWO HOURS AGO!"

The jailer merely shrugged and unlocked the door of the girl first before turning to Caelwyn.  "Just be lucky you  have anyone in this town that would bail you out.  Now if I see you in Uthlyn again, I might not be so forgiving."

Caelwyn stepped out of his cell and rubbed his wrists, but turned to the man with wide eyes.  "FORGIVING!?  Why I'll have you know--"

"Caelwyn!"  Serling grabbed his colleague by the shoulder and ushered him to the exit to keep him from throwing himself back into that cell.  "Look, you owe me that money!  That's for the expedition and if you think you'll just get off it like some kind of spoiled rich brat, I'll throttle you myself."

"Nonsense, I'm neither spoiled nor rich, Serling.  And money is money, we'll get it back anyhow."  Caelwyn turned when they were in the item chamber to get back their items and gestured to Artemis.  "Ah, Serling, I suppose I should introduce you two.  This is Librarian Artemis Longfellow, an expert in Ancient Essyrni culture and the current holder of that book I was looking for," Caelwyn smiled and peered across to the younger girl as he collected his bag and threw it over his shoulder.

Serling smiled and held out a hand to Artemis.  "Essyrni expert, eh?  Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Longfellow, though no doubt Caelwyn dragged you into this mess.  With him missing half-pants and all.  He's got a penchant for trouble."

"And a nose like a bloodhound!"  Caelwyn snapped.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Artemis blinked, a blush falling to her cheeks.
"Expert? Oh, hardly, all the knowledge I know I've done through my own personal research..."
But it just so happened Essyrni history was her area of interest and well.. she's read all the books a dozen times over from the library. Still frowning, she took the two men in with interest.
"But I must admit, I.. might have been to blame for Mister Caye's terrible luck. Though it was an accident, I assure you."

Lion

"Accident really should be his middle name," Serling murmured under his breath with a frown.  "But look, we've been looking for someone with your area of expertise for a while and few people can just up and go down south to a place as far as Essyrn.  But Caye is dogged and won't listen to reason.  So, since we can't talk him out of it, we just decided to join him.  You may as well come along or he'll never leave you alone and never stop talking until you change your mind."

"He's right.  I won't really.  Besides, you have what I need, so we may as well go and get that while we're at it." Caelwyn said, eyeing Serling with daggers before rolling them and heading for the exit.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis felt like an awkward third wheel as she followed these men along.

"I.. I suppose I should be thanking you," she said to Serling, delicately tucking back some of her hir from her face. Though as they moved along towards the exit, and Serling suggested she travel with them on such an expedition - and his once frumpy partner agreeing, she stopped dead in her tracks.

"Wait.. what?"
Her eyes were wide in disbelief. Did she hear them correctly?
"You want me to travel with you to Essyrn?"
Such an idea could make her faint! But surely, her ears were playing tricks on her.

Lion

Serling nodded vigorously.  "Why of course!  I knew Caelwyn would get an expert in the field somehow.  And frankly it'd be easier bring along someone who's already come to see the worst of him more or less.  Most people, once they see who they'll be working with, quickly thank us for our time and then tell us to get the fuck out.  It's difficult finding anyone willing to tolerate Caelwyn Caye."

"I can hear you Serling!  Besides I have incredible people skills that are underappreciated!  It's not my fault they don't have much patience for a mind such as mine.  Pah, jealousy is more like it..." Caelwyn went ranting to himself as he walked while trying to hold onto the loose fabric of his pant leg.

"Forget him," Serling said, rolling his eyes.  "Anyway.  We can pay you for your time of course.  And food and travel accomodations will be included."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis's mind was in a whirl. Surely she was not hearing this correctly as she followed the other two out, nearly tripping over her skirts.

"Wait.. I don't understand." Sure she got the whole inviting her along thing, she knew what an invitation was, but this...
"You hardly know me. Surely there are more qualified for the job?" BUt was she really offering to give up a chance at travel? Her chest swelled and heart fluttered at such an idea- and to think.. Essyrn of all places....

"But I wouldn't know what to bring for travel, or or... if I would be able. My parents have been ill. I don't know if  I could just abandon them.."
But her parents had been ill for such a lon gtime, that much was evident int he rings beneath her eyes and the tiredness of her face. That, paired with her long hours at thelibrary.. whihc were suddenly cut...

She bit her lip.

"What... what sort of payment are we talking for something like this?" she eventually asked, though cautiously.

Lion

"Well, we have a budget, understand.  And aside from spending five hundred securing Sir Gripes-a-lot's release, I think we can manage a fair rate of saaay," Serling rubbed the beard of his chin thoughtfully and soon nodded.  "About a hundred a month, and a three hundred advance, I think we can manage.  Does that sound fair to you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis's lips parted, her eyes going small in alarm.

"One hundred....coppers?" she said, trying to sound calm. Even coppers was a lot but... surely she had heard him incorrectly.

Lion

"Coppers?" Serling laughed and threw his head back.  "Goodness, no.  Gold of course.  We only use coppers to figure meager expenses like mounts and feed and the like.  We're well funded by the schools in Ravensway and we have enough for the expedition."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"G-Gold?" Artemis was practically choking on her words, and had to pound a fist to her chest in order to stop herself from coughing. SHe leaned against a nearby wall, or whatever it was that she could, since her legs suddenly felt useless.

"Wha.. how... I.. I don't understand. Gold? Real gold?"

Lion

Serling paused abruptly and frowned.  "I guess that's...unacceptable to you?" he asked.  "I mean...what other gold did you expect?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis only stared.
"No... it's just that..." she squeaked, not quite sure what to make of this all. Was this for real? Was this just some sort of dream. It had to be and inadvertently, she found herself pinching her arm to check. WIth a gasp, the pinch felt real, and she, remained momentarily stunned by the proposition.

"N-no, gold is fine I just..."
How could she explain this to her family? Though with all of that money.. it would certainly fix their money woes.

She clutched onto the necklace she wore, some crude item that resembled something forgotten in Essyrn, though she knew not what the necklace was she wore, it was something sentimental that she clutched onto when she was nervous, and she ran her fingers across the worn gold. It hung on an equally tarnished piece, though of a much nicer metal necklace as she frowned and tried to take this all in.

"Wh... when is this expedition?" she inquired, glancing from Serling then to Caelwyn.

Lion

Serling smiled, seeing that she was taking it rather well.  "Oh, just a few days from now.  You see we still need the book, and we need to assemble the rest of our team in the southern part of the Sirantil Valley, then we set out at dawn and have to pass through Serendipity and Adela.  Though I suppose we could take a ship to the desert down south, it would certainly save on legwork, but nothing is ever easy when it comes to Caelwyn Caye."

Caelwyn at last turned around on them both and looked pointedly at Artemis.  "So, there is a matter of the Geodatus that I need, young lady.  And you had it, as you said."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis's head was still whirling, but when the question came back to her and her book...

"Yes, it's at my home." She shifted uncomfortably beneath Caewlyn's gaze. "I suppose I've got nothing better to do in this moment. I can head right on home and fetch it for you. Shall we might up somewhere once I've got it? I fear I must speak to my family first over all of this matter, to ensure my parents are taken care of when I'm gone."

Oh, there was so much to do! She just hoped she was doign the right thing! But when would she ever get an opportunity like this? As far as she knew- never! But here it was,a once in a life time deal and she was seeing stars for it.

Lion

"Leave?" Caelwyn scoffed.  "Why do you have to leave?"  Serling pinched him on the arm and stepped on his foot.  Caelwyn grunted and glared at his companion.

"That's fine, Miss Longfellow.  Please. take my card and meet us at the Ballantine Inn!  We'll have your advance then!" Serling interrupted and smile for him and Caelwyn, though Caelwyn was glaring something fierce.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis placed a hand over her lips to hide her smile. Oh my, so childish was this man. If she knew him better she wouldn't be surprised to have met him in the way she had.

"Y-yes...Ballantine Inn," she repeated "But when shall I meet you?" She held her breath anxiously. She could not let such an opportunity go!

Lion

"Five in the evening shall be acceptable.  And wear something nice!  It would be the perfect opportunity to introduce you to the rest of the team!" Serling shouted back to the librarian as he pulled Caelwyn away from further making fools of the both of them.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn