Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Harm Ever Came From Reading A Book

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2014, 06:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Five this evening," Artemis repeated, feeling numb and shaky as she walked. It took her extra long to get home, only because she had to pause at the town square to keep her head on straight. Was this really happening? Was this... adventure just proposed? And was she really ready for something like this? She bit into her lip. She was hardly an adventurer, her most scandalous thing was climbing up too high on the book shelf ladder and using it to roll herself along the shelves (and even then she was extra cautious).

Yes... an adventure to Essyrn- a world she had never been to but had always had dreamed of visiting (though naturally, assumed she could only visit in dreams!)

By the time she got home, she had fought herself tooth and nail about accepting this proposition - and had even thought about just never showing up, but she had a feeling Mister Caye would find a way to find her home and...

No, no! She just couldn't have that! Besides-w hat was she afraid of?Was something like this not her dreams? She was nearly in tears before she made it inside her home, and wiping them away, she took in a deep breath and steeled herself- and soon found herself in the middle of a catastrophe!

Telling her family seemed a big mistake. Her three sisters were all over her about it, gaggling like geese and her parents, ever supportive, (even in their sickly state.) Even her older brother, who, along side with herself, maintained her house hold while her parents had taken ill-
and not a single one of them would take no for an answer.

Artemis was all smilesa nd blushes but she shook her head.
"Oh, but I must meet Mister Caye and his team within the hour! And I haven't a dress!"

"Oh, dearie, just borrow one of mine!" And after slipping into a layered, black ruffled dress, Artemis sighed as she stared at herself in the mirror.

"You know thi sis a once in a life time opportunity," her brother told her as she leaned intot he door frame.

Artemis sighed.
"I know."

"And you're.. goign to wear that?"

Artemis gasped and turned around.
"Arrick Longfellow!" she scolded.

"What? You look like mom."

"It's mom's dress!" she pressed, eyes narrowing angrily.

"Yes, and you look just like her in it."

Artemis threw her arms up at him "Oh, really, you offer no help! I was hoping to look elegant and studious, not old andoutdated."

Arrick chuckled.
"And if mom heard you say that.."

"Oh, but you won't tell her?"

"I already heard."

Artemis gasped as she turned to observe her mother.
"Shouldn't you be in bed!?" she exclaimed.

Her mother smiled and embraced her daughter.
"Not when my daughter is about to go on the adventure of a life time."A nd she helped adjust the dress and helped her finish tying off the back. "Oh.. sweety, you look beautiful." And she kissed her daughters cheek.

After saying all of her goodbyes (though reminding them she would return home t pack, naturally!) she was out the door and gaspig when she recalled the desired book. Stumbling back inside, she was nearly tearing apart her room for it but when he found it, she tucked it beneath her arm and was ou tthe door before any of her 3 younger sisters could stop her.

They all watched her leaving from the door frame and waved their goodbyes, while her brother nad mother lingered behind them- smiling and waving her off as well.

And so it began, or so it would seem- as Artemis Longfellow made her way to the Ballantine INn,a nd when she paused in front of it, she found herself gaping at how exquisite it was.

"By Ansgar's name.. is this place ever fancy."
Swallowing down a knot in her throat, she placed one boot in front of the other as she climbed the stairs and disappeared inside.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Caelwyn grew more and more annoyed at the sound of clanging coins as Serling was counting over the greater part of Artemis' payment.  He didn't mind that she was coming along.  Hell, as long as she brought the book, he didn't care if she came wearing nothing  but tulips and daisies.  He knew enough Serling would be distracted, having a woman on board.

"Would quit that awful counting!?" Caelwyn said at last.  He'd been trying to work over his notes and the sound was constant and ever more annoying than the last.

"I have to make sure the money's right!"

"That's the sixth time all ready!I'm sure the purse has three hundred coins in it!  In fact if I had a coin for every coin you've counted again and again I''d have 1800 fucking gold coins on top of it!"

"Shut up!  She's all ready here!"  Serling was smiling as he saw her coming in from the street and he beamed before he rushed to the door.  Caelwyn lazily came after him and almost shoved Serling down the steps.  At least they would have a dinner between them all and he wouldn't have to look at the sickening blushes and furtive glances of his companion toward one Miss Artemis Longfellow.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

The flames from the chandelier cast a sea of sparkles through the air, that glittered and showered down onto the walls and floor with opulent class. The golden reflection cast within her brown eyes and highlighted her hair as if it were turning bronze itself beneath the lavish light, and there she stood, awkward and timid, fingers curling through her hair while eyes looked around in wonder.

She had never expected to be meeting in such a place and well- she immediately felt so under dressed that when Serling called out, she found herself gasping as she nearly dropped the book. Clinging to it, she cast an uncertain smile his way and watched as his jovial, round face flushed with merriment- and right behind him, his begrudging partner followed- and it seemed he was ignorant of her, which was certainly something that suddenly caught her gaze.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

At least he was wearing pants this time.  Caewlyn only gave momentary attention to Serling as the man reached out and shook Artemis' hand and helped sit her at the table.  It was all just boring formalities anyway; it seemed to be the only thing Serling was good at.  After the introductions, Caelwyn peered at Artemis expectantly and placed both hands on the table, tucking them underneath his chin and peering at her with fluttering lids.

"I hope the goodbyes were cheery and teary.  Now did you bring the book?"

"Caelwyn, have a little class," Serling growled to his colleague as the main courses were placed around the table and wine was offered. 

"Oh shut up, Serling.  You've been kissing ass all day, now Miss Longfellow, I'm just inquiring as to whether you brought to book or not.  I'm sorry, if I seem rude, but hanging around Serling Preston all day makes me into quite an asshole."

"You do that quite well yourself all ready," Serling murmured under his breath.

"What was that?" Caelwyn asked, glancing at him.

"Nothing.  So!  Miss Longfellow, are you all packed up, ready to head out?" he asked, beaming and producing the coinpurse from his side.  "Oh, here I almost forgot.  Your advance for the month.  It's the best I could muster considering the inn we had to pick."

"It's not my fault, you can't sleep off a cot.  I would have been just as comfortable in a back alley somewhere," Caelwyn shrugged.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Artemis looked from one man to another. Well, at least one of the pair seemed amicable, though she found herself frowning at Caewlyn's words, she couldn't help but notice he at least cleaned up since their.. unfortunate meeting. Though his hair still looked a bit.. untamed. She wondered if the man even cared at all about appearances when her thoughts were brought back to the present.

The book- ah yes, he would want that. Hesitant, she finally lifted the book delicately from her lap and set it upon the table.
"There, one Geodatus Expedition of the Essyrni Territory and Its Foundations,"s he reported, and stared over at Mr. Caye as if she just one upped him- but in truth,s he felt she had, as she sat there and waited with a baited breath to see just exactly how he would react to his most precious book.

Lion

"Exellent!" Caelwyn suddenly beamed and reached across to pull the old book in front of him.  "Looks like you'll be useful after al.  On behalf of the Ravensway Archaeological Society, I welcome you to the expedition."  He reached across the table and snatched her hand up before he could protest and pressed his lips to the back of her hand before sitting back down and promplty sticking his nose into the book.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis blinked once, twice, then three times trying to register this.
"Er.. you're welcome?" she said, and looked up from Caelwyn to Serling with an uncertain frown and blush.

Lion

Serling shrugged and gave Artemis and raised his glass to her.  "So Miss Longfellow, just how did your family take the news?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Oh.." Her gaze lifted to Serling before she cast her brown eyes to the table.
"Well they took it as I suspected they would take it. And if you knew my sisters, you'd understand that my ears are still ringing." Though she jested, it was true, and she frowned a bit and lightly touched at her ear. "But the thing is.. I told them I'd be back later for a more proper good bye. SO I can pack my things- not that.. that I have much, that is."

Lion

Caelwyn was only half listening until she said the last part.  "Oh...what was that?  You've still yet to pack?  Well, we're not leaving until the morning anyway, so you have plenty of time.  The point of this expedition to is try and discover more about the ancient Essyrni people, and their ancestors, their migration, were they nomadic or sedentary, or were they merely settling in the fist place they found water.  Be sure to bring as much paper and ink as you can.  That can get quite expensive."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis took it all in, nodding slowly at his statement before frowning.
"I suppose I can bring what I have."
Though it wasn't very much.
"But what other items woudl you suggest? I.. I've never been outside of Connlaoth, or even Uthlyn, really..."

Lion

Caelwyn peered up at her with dull, blinking eyes, and a frown was starting to set in.  But at the clearing of Serling's throat, Caelwyn looked at him instead and Serling offered in suggestion, "Some basic things really," he went on.  "Like soap if you can, fresh linens, a washboard, but I suppose we have one to spare, and a compass would certainly help.  But...are you truly serious?  You've never been outside of even the city?  Then how exactly did you come to be an expert in ancient Essyrni culture?"

It was Caelwyn's turn to clear his throat as he sat up and forcibly coughed, kicking Serling hard in the leg and turning his eyes like daggers to the blond haired man.  "I'm sorry, I suppose it isn't any of my business.  But I feel if we are to travel together, perhaps we should get to know each other."

"Serling just wants you to feel comfortable enough around him when he swoons  at you from afar and dreams about you at night, and draws sketches of you in his journal," Caelwyn piped in, smirking just as Serling coughed into his drink and nearly choked on it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis just gaped at such a comment, before she shut her jaw and narrowed her eyes at Caelwyn.
"I suppose you're  much better?" she said, looking the man over haughtily before giving a turn up of her nose. "Besides, you should not be speaking to your friends in such a manner. It's quite rude."

Lion

"Bah, it's only truth telling," Caelwyn smirked and drank his wine in a small sip.  "I have no need to tease and humiliate Serling.  I assure he will take care of that business himself."  He rolled his eyes and poured back over the book before him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"Yes, but forgive me for my directness, but bullying him will accomplish nothing. How is it that you work for him but you don't give your colleague any respect?  And you aim to take me along with you and presume I'll respond the same? As much as I'm... excited for such an expedition, you'll have to forgive me for my wariness. Though I've dealt with... all sorts of people, at least at night I can go home and forget abou tit, but here.. here we'll all spend many months together without reprieve. I'd at least like to think our companionship can be amicable."

Lion

Caelwyn gave her a smile and quirked a brow at her.  "If you're claiming that I am incapable of being civil, then you are most hideously incorrect!  I am amicable. I am tolerant, and I am a DELIGHT  to be around...as long as you don't get in the way. Make yourself useful, don't stand around like a layabout. Serling and I have the perfect working relationship.  He takes care of all the boring paperwork and organization, which leaves me free to work on the more important aspects of our work.  He is essential, and he has every choice to refuse to work with me or not.  It's not like I am forcing him into this. Nor you for that matter.  SoI 'll remain as civil as I see fit.  I didn't ask you to come along because I needed some motherly scolding.  I already have one of those. But if you wish to stay, to make history, then you're than welcome to it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis frowned. Though she was uncertain what she was going to say, she was going to say at least something-

that was, until a random man swathed from head to toe in robes, suddenly swung a long sword at them- aiming to cut open Caelwyn Caye's head.

Lion

"You no-good, dirty, lyin', thievin', sonuva bitch!  I'll throw you to the hounds!" the man cried out just before his sword connected with Caelwyn's head.  Caelwyn threw himself out of his seat and onto the ground just as the sword collided with the wine bottle and cut it in half.

"Heron!  What the hell are you doing here? " Serling suddenly said, turning about.  The robed man turned the blade on him and it gave Caelwyn enough time to get to his feet and get a chair between them.

"I didn't steal anything, Heron!  I just got there first!  It wasn't my fault your theory was flawed!  I tried to tell you!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

The moment Heron's sword split the wine bottle in half, Artemis jumped to her feet. She flinched back, cowering up against the wall and between the table, but had no idea what to make of this madness as she held her breath and was too scared to even pray.

Lion

Caelwyn's chair was turned into sawdust by Heron's blade and he backed away into another member of their excavation team.  "Heron!  Calm down!  I don't want to fight you!"

"Good!  Because I just want to kill you!"  He swung the heavy sword again and cleaved a table in two.

Caelwyn scurried over to the otherside of the room and yelped when the blade came at  him again.  "I was only trying to help!"

"I don't need your bloody help!  Now, just here so I can cleave your head in two!" he shouted, but just when he cornered Caelwyn, blade raised high above his head, the smaller man suddenly turned on him and smacked his fist right into his chin.  He dropped down into a boxing stance, but it seemed the blow was enough to send him on reeling backwards onto the dinner table behind them.

Guards came rushing back into the dining room and brandished their weapons.  One of them recognized Caelwyn and rolled his eyes.  "What the hell have you gone and done now?  And twice in one day, no less."

Caelwyn put his hands up.  "Self-defense!" he shouted, and pointed to Heron's unconscious form on the ground and the blade that had fallen near his hand.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn