Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Harm Ever Came From Reading A Book

Started by visualspice, January 25, 2014, 06:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Once the mess was mopped up, the account, written down by the guards, and a few gold slipped into their pocket, the group was left alone again, and Artemis, having no idea what to do. Eventually, her mind became less numb so she could reply as she peered over at Caelwyn and released a breath.

"Does this sort of thing happen everyday?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

"Umm," Caelwyn shrugged sheepishly.  "I wouldn't call ot uncommon.  Some scholars spend years trying to perfect their research and don't take too kindly to someone more brilliant than they are poking holes into their research!  But he should have been more thorough!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

"More... brilliant?" she blinked, staring at Caelwyn Caye as she slowly took in a breath. "Yes, well, I suppose sore losers will be sore losers."
But then her eyes went down to the table and her frown deepened.
"Oh boy.."
Was she really ready for this? Maybe it wasn't too late to reconsider- she wasn't even really an  Ancient Essyrni expert, she just... knew a few things about the ancient language, and sort of figured out how to read it in her spare time working in the library. That, and she knew the ancient patheon of their Gods, the legends, myths- just about anything the library had to offer.

So really... she wasn't an expert so much as just someone who used her resources...
She sighed.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Caelwyn relaxed and gently poked her shoulder.  "Please, let us get back to dinner.  I still have to pour over the first pages of the book.  Don't let Heron sway you.  We still have much to discuss.  It will be a very long journey."  He helped her to her seat, scooting her in and sitting back in his former place, though pausing and making a sour face when he realized he sat on a bunch of wine.

"What's the matter?" Serling asked.

"...  I wet my pants."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Artemis's face twisted into mortification-a nd against her better judgement- she looked down to his seat. Had the man really just pissed himself? Oh dear...

Lion

"Oh...it's just the wine," Caelwyn said, sitting back down on the seat.  His butt was squishy, but he otherwise could have cared less.  "So!  Miss Longfellow, how soon do you think you can depart?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Blinking, she peered back up into his face.
"That depends. How quickly do you wish to depart?"

Lion

"As soon as possible would certainly help," Caelwyn said without missing a beat, devouring his dinner and then looking up at Artemis.  "I'll even help you pack.  You...You do want this right?  I'm not going to ask you to tag along if this is all a little too much for you.  You seem...shaken."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis stared.
And stared and stared at his inquiry before blinkingly, she returned to reality.
"OH! No!" she said, tightening her lips. "Of course I want this, it's always been my dream to travel abroad it's just..." Her eyes lingered on the ruined table before she set her jaw and turned his way- trying to ignore the fact well-
Thigns were already crazy and they hadn't even left yet!

"I just have to get used to the idea of travel, that's all." She added the last part with a bit of a sniff.

Lion

At her response, Caelwyn gave her a beam, if a slightly sour one and his eyes twinkled, at least a little, at the knowledge that she wanted to go.  At least then he wouldn't have to feel guilty about firing her, not that he would in the first place.  "Well, that's not so hard, in the first few weeks, you're bottom might be sore...but I think Serling would be there to make you both feel better.  As you can see...we don't get many women on this expedition.  And Serling is such a terrible flirt."

Serling blushed and kicked Caelwyn from underneath the table.  He looked at Artemis and gave her a sheepish smile.  "Well, then, we can help you get underway," he said.  "I've always been more personable than Caelwyn anyway.  Or a bore, as he calls it."  He laughed.  "So, what part of town do you live?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis blushed at the men and lowered her gaze when the question came back to her.
"I... in the south."
Which- if they were familiar with Uthlyn (which they might not)- they would realize that was the slums.

Lion

Fortunately for her neither new Uthlyn as well as she did.  But at the mention of her home, Caelwyn suddenly jumped up and shouted.  "Well, then what are we waiting for?  Let's go see it!" he said with no small ounce of excitement in his tone.  But the look on Artemis' face made Serling pause.

"Perhaps now isn't a good time, Cael-"

"Nonsense.  We're going to see it anyway.  Why delay?"

"We're in the middle of dinner."

"We can eat on the road, we always do.  And personally, I think it's highly necessary that we meet Miss Longfellow's family, so they see we are a legitimate operation.  I'd hate for them to think we are kidnapping her with no means of return.  That and to deliver the money owed to her of course.  No doubt it will be used for your family, isn't that correct Miss Longfellow?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis blinked- and stared at Mister Caye for a good long while.
"Er.. exactly,"s he finally replied. "And I have found myself not very hungry anymore, so I suppose we could leave anytime."
Why put off the inevitable?

Lion

"Well, then what are we waiting for?" Caelwyn spat out and darted for the door.  Only Serling stayed behind to help Artemis out of her chair and frowned with concern.

"Is something the matter Miss Longfellow?  You looked as if you ate a bad clam."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Artemis shook her head.
"No, Mister Serling, I shall be alright. This is just a lot to digest for me."

ANd as she lead the way, she felt a bit embarrassed; there was an entire entourage of men following her from the more gilded section of town- to the slums. She grew a lot more quiet as they headed towards her row house, and once they neared it, she gestured towards the window that still had a candle burning in it's window.

"There, that's my house,"s eh said, ad paused for a moment as she released her breath before she turned towards them both. "You may... both wish to stay here. I have to... inform my family that we have guests." And she gave a forced smile to both Serling and Caelwyn before she slipped off inside.

Lion

[It's just Caelwyn and Serling.]

At the sight of her house, Caelwyn was no less than satisfied at the sight of it.  Not that he would hold it against her that this was where she lived, but at least that she trusted him enough to show them both.  Serling, however, was more down cast and pinched Caelwyn to get that smile off his face.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Slipping inside, there was a long moment of quiet and darkness before a young girl's face appeared in the window. It was Arisa's, quickly followed by Jane, and lasty, Naddy, who was still adjusting her glasses on her face. Though it couldn't be heard through the glass and closed doors, it seemed as f the girls were squealing.

A moment later, all three pulled their heads from the window and a second later, the candles were lit and the door, opened a moment later where a panting, pink cheeked Artemis now stood.

"I think it's safe now. Mister Serling, Mister Caye,.." she began, clearing her throat. "You both may come in."

Though as she moved aside to allow them entrance, she gave a yelp as she stepped on Jane's boot- and then another cry came from Arisa as her eyes fell upon Caelwyn.

"Oh, isn't he handsome! What a dream!"a nd then more giggling happened as the three girls scrambled into a group, as commanded by their older sister. But oh, were they not a handful. Artemis was blushing more as she turned to Caelwyn with a shrug.

"These, Mr. Serling, Mr. Caye- are my sisters."
She gestured to the glasses girl,"THis is Naddy." Then to he shortest one beside her,"ANd Jane." Then to the wide smiling and oogling eyed Arisa. "And this one here, is Arisa."

And just as it appeared as if Arisa was about to burst if she didn't say her proper hellos to Mr. Caye, Naddy was the first to speak up - and her words made her sisters croak!

"So I heard you were taking our sister to Essyrn."

Artemis shot Naddy a look. Really, her sisters had absolutely no manners sometimes!

Lion

Caelwyn really wasn't interested in any of the looks or gawking of Artemis' sister, he just wanted them to be on their way already.  He nodded to Naddy and bowed his head.  "Of course," he murmured and beamed as he gestured to Serling.  "This is my colleague and we've both needed an expert on Ancient Essyrni language and culture.  Of course, I know enough myself, but he insisted.  I bumped into Miss Longfellow here at the library and we had a small discussion on a book we were both looking for and well, here we are."

That was the short-short version of course, and even Serling didn't know the whole story.  So all his colleague could do was blush and bow his head to the lot of them.  "It is a pleasure to meet you.  Though, is this all the pack now, Artemis?  Or are there any more faces we ought to meet?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Before Artemis could reply, a pair of heavy foot steps entered the room, as a dark and dirtied man, who nearly touched the ceiling from where he stood, entered into the home of his gaggle of sisters and two strange men. His face was nearly black with soot, and his clothing faired the same. It was only when his teeth flashed white into a smile did any distinctive features of his face show.

"I didn't know we were expecting guests."

Artemis, still gaping, peered at her brother before blinking a few times to get her wits abou ther- but her sisters were tangling tongues to answer him first. It wasn't until Artemis stomped a foot to demand order did she huff after the silence as she turned to her brother.

"Arrick, I'd like you to meet Mister Serling and Mister Caye."
She gestured to them before before awkwardly clearing her throat.
"And Mister Caye, Serling- this is my older brother, Arrick."

Lion

[I just realized I never gave Serling a last name xD.]

Serling was the first to extend his hand forward and shook Arrick's hand, with a friendly smile extended across his face.  "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Longfellow," he said with his teeth showing.  "I'm the director of this expedition, and my friend Mr. Caye here is the lead scholar here.  We were hoping to give your sister here a job as an expert on Essyrni culture.  We're from the Ravensway Archaeological Society."

Caelwyn simply clasped his hands behind his back and bowed his head to the older man.  "Serling, didn't you have something to give them."

"Huh?"

"Payment for her employ of course."

"Oh right!"  And Serling removed the heavy coin purse from his belt and passed it on to the filthy looking man.  "It's a hundred every month and three hundred advance payment.  I hope you find this acceptable."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn