Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stop, you fiend! [M] [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, January 29, 2014, 02:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Maya huffed and couldn't help but stamp her foot. This man was positively frustrating. "As nobility, I shouldn't have to tell anyone anything. They should be attuned to my needs and subtle signals and offer! My servants know what to do without me having to even tell them."

Of course, that was because she'd grown up with them and they knew her, but that was beside the point.

"But fine. If you want orders, I can give orders. My first order is, shut the gate! You are my servant. You weren't raised in a barn. You know simple things like how to shut doors behind us."

She swept past him without waiting for his compliance. "The next order of business is...yes. Fetch palanquin carriers. I have my own, of course, but we're not going to deal with them. They wouldn't recognize you, and they would be suspicious."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

True to form, Lex continued to smile, but showed that a smile can express annoyance. He trotted back to Maya's gate, and closed it, though it was not secure. Then he jogged a ways down the street to fetch a palanquin. Maya probably preferred carriages, as most rich people did, but on the narrow, body filled roads of the marketplace, she'd need a smaller means of travel.
        Shortly after, Lex returned with the nicest public palanquin he could locate. The six men carrying it, lowered it off their padded shoulders to the ground for Maya to enter. Lex offered his hand with a bowed head, holding the side of the palanquin open.
        "M'lady, your transport awaits."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Hm." Maya looked the palanquin over and gave a dainty sniff. "Not terrible. I suppose it'll have to do." Hers was, after all, nicer in her opinion. But she would just have to endure!

Placing her hand in his, she stepped inside and took a seat, arranging her skirts about her legs and leaning back against the seat. "To the West-End marketplace," she told the carriers--which was the market she had been to earlier when she'd encountered Lex.

For it was a lovely market where many nobility frequented, with items of the highest quality. Of course, that also made it a prime target for clever thieves.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Lex walked along the side of the palanquin as the carriers trotted along the road. It didn't take long to reach the market, and as they went the streets became filled with people. People meant purses and pouches filled with gold. It meant hands and necks with jewelry. Lex was more the highwayman type, stealing this way though, was easy enough for him. His manual dexterity had been excellent since childhood. He practiced sleight of hand tricks to entertain himself and his mother. Now he was lining his pockets with the excess of the wealthy people walking around him. The livery of a servant helped him in a way he hadn't imagined before. He was even more invisible than before. Perhaps he would keep them. Being invisible in town was always a challenge. He couldn't just pull on his cloak and mask and blend in like he could in the wilderness.
        Lex spoke into the palanquin to Maya as they moved deeper into the market, "what stalls would you like to visit today m'lady?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Oblivious to the pick-pocketing going on, Maya reclined in her seat and gazed lazily out at the passing buildings. She glanced over at Lex as he spoke, and waved a hand in a vague direction.

"There is a vendor up ahead that sells exotic goods. Imported things. I'd like to see if he has gotten any new Essyrni goods." And then, her eyes narrowing a little, she added, "I would also like to see about getting a new ring."

She waggled the finger, now empty, that Lex had taken her ring from. "It feels naked."

Aeytrious

"Of course m'lady," Lex said with a smile in his voice. He then leaned close to Maya in her palanquin, whispering so the carriers could not hear. "I will happily follow you around all day, playing servant, but I have only volunteered my money for your meal. You must purchase anything else you want yourself. Did you remember your coin?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Maya opened her mouth to say something, then froze with her mouth dropped open and eyes wide with realization. She shut her mouth with a soft clicking of teeth and looked away from Lex with a huff.

"I didn't want to buy anything else, anyway," she said. "The meal will suffice."

Indeed, she had not remembered her coin.

Aeytrious

Lex could tell that Maya was disappointed that she couldn't do any shopping, so he decided he'd do a little something for her. He wasn't sure yet, but he'd find something to please or entertain her. As they moved among the crowded streets Lex continued his larceny. Many pockets were growing lighter with his passing, and the nobles and their guards were blind to him, dressed in servants livery as he was. One man carried six pouches of gold coins on his belt, a needless display of wealth. Lex bumped his guard, and the guard bumped the nobleman. Before the guard could get out an apology and point his finger at Lex, he was being reprimanded fiercely by his employer. People turned away or averted their eyes, embarrassed for the bodyguard, while the bodyguard himself was staring at his toes. The fat nobleman didn't even notice as Lex cut the purse strings on one pouch and made away with the whole thing. He had likely just doubled his money.
        Working in the town like this, with his luck, could get Lex a much larger take each day. Normally he avoided town though, too many people. He preferred the quiet of the trees, and just robbed the nobles and wealthy merchants that traveled through the woods. Occasionally he stole from bandits and highwaymen. He got a great deal of pleasure from lightening the pockets of brutal criminals that inflicted needless violence upon others. He had yet to meet anyone as skilled with a bow as he. So disabling anyone in the woods from afar was an easy task for him.
        As they trekked toward the stalls that Maya had requested, Lex noticed an archery contest taking place down a side street. He moved close to the palanquin once again so that he could whisper to her discretely. He grinned at her as he leaned in anticipating that she would enjoy his offer, be entertained, and have money to spend.
        "There is a test of a bowman's skill down the road there." Lex told her, "If I were to enter as your servant, you would win a sizable purse. Nobody out shoots me. Not ever." His grin grew as his confident whispers reached Maya's ears. He added something a bit sweeter to hook her, and appealed to her boredom. "You'll enjoy the show, I assure you. And if I should miraculously lose, I'll spend my whole purse on gifts for you."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Maya spent the majority of their trip silent and surly, a little embarrassed that she hadn't thought to bring her coin so she could actually purchase anything--and far too proud to demand they go back to fetch it. So she tried to act like she didn't care, that it was beneath her, and sat back with her arms folded as she watched the world roll by. Stupid, stupid. If Lex hadn't been so distracting, she wouldn't have forgotten! Blasted man!

She was growing rather bored by the time Lex stepped up to the palanquin again, and she tried not to look too excited about getting to talk to someone. Palanquin rides were convenient, but they were also rather lonely.

Turning her head in his direction, she arched an eyebrow coolly--and then leaned forward with interest despite her attempts at cold disinterest. Lex had her hooked just like that. If he won, she'd have spending money, and if he lost, she'd have spending money! That worked for her! And either way she was certain to get a show out of it. That would surely be more interesting than just browsing around the market.

With a slow grin, Maya drew the curtain back all the way and waved her hand to catch the bearers' attention. "Stop! Change of plans. We'll be attending the archery contest down the road," she said, and the palanquin bearers quickly changed course.

Turning her attention back to Lex, she smiled. "You'll really win that purse for me?"

Aeytrious

"I rather enjoy your smile," Lex told Maya, "this sulking you've been doing is not becoming of a lady." He smirked at her in his usual way, and walked at a trot beside the palanquin as it was carried down toward the contest. He'd never heard of an archer better than he, except in legends, and he had the best bow in the world. If fired at a nonliving target, the magic was useless, but the craftsmanship was amazing.
        "What shall my name be for entry m'lady? I can't be Lex of the Wood for this."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

What a flatterer. Maya smiled brighter at his compliment , though her expression soon turned thoughtful at his question. Ah, good point.

"Hmmm..." Maya pursed her lips as she considered that, and then she shrugged. "What about Alexi of House Lekari?"

Too obvious, maybe? Well, she never claimed to be good at picking pseudonyms!

Aeytrious

Definitely obvious, but Lex trusted the sword on his hip to make everything work out just fine. Alexi, servant to house Lekari, was going to shoot better than any other entrant. As they approached the area the contest was being held, Lex approached the promoter and paid his entry fee. There were many other competitors, and by the look of it, a few were highly trained huntsman. Nobody would be expecting a mere servant to take the purse.
        There were bookies taking bets, and the odds set for Lex to win were the worst. So he did what anyone that was confident they would win would do, he bet on himself. Not too much, just four gold, but with the odds as they were, he'd win two hundred gold pieces. The bookie smirked at Lex, who returned his smile with a genuine one of his own. Betting was soon closed, and the facilitator called out for the contestants to fall in line. They were numbered at random for their turn fire, and as luck would have it, Lex would go last.
        Each round of firing would eliminate half of the entrants. Everyone stepped up with confidence at their turn, firing at the target ahead of them with a bow and arrows provided by the game coordinator. Well, no matter, it was better he not fire Heart Finder. He'd never tried firing it at an inanimate object. Perhaps this was his luck working for him, perhaps the bow would pierce the nearest heart to what he fired at. He stepped up, the thirty second, and final entrant to shoot. He took the bow, aimed at his target, and fired. He tried his best to not shoot to well, and his shot turned out to be the sixteenth best. He'd just barely made it to the second round, perfect.
        The next round went much faster. He was sixteenth to go, and everyone had shot mostly as well as they had the round before. The crowd was barely paying attention when he stepped up. He carefully chose his arrow, to the annoyance of the coordinator, took his time aiming as well. When he finally fired, the crowd quickly quieted down. He had out shot eight of his opponents, and was in to the third round. The announcer called out his own shock, and that it was likely a fluke, and everything moved on. The third round was watched a bit more closely. As the first seven contestants fired, everyone watched raptly. Their shots were all very close, but one of the huntsman had fired his third bullseye, and everyone expected he'd win. Lex took up the bow at his turn and the crowd half watched, believing his placement a thing of luck. Perhaps it was. If his luck had not been working for him, he probably would have hit dead center with every shot. He was careful and precise in his method again, and he felt the top three contestants watching him. Suspecting his true skill. He took aim and fired, striking inside four of the other arrows. He placed as the last to move on to the next round again, something that now everyone believed he'd done on purpose.
        His usual smile was absent from his face. Instead Lex, was stern of expression, he did not want to seem to be gloating. The crowd was half excited, and half grumbling. They of course wanted a good show, but many of them would lose money if he won, and he was going to win. The other three competitors did not look pleased either. Lex hoped that the competition between the three of them would keep them from uniting against him. One could hope. For the final four contestants, the competition changed. They would each get three shots, and one archer would be eliminated each time. The first man stepped up and drew selected his arrows and fired them in quick succession, clustering them tightly near the center. The second archer stepped up and followed the same process firing almost as well as the first. The third contestant took a bit more time with his selection of arrows, and firing them at the target. He shot better than the man before him, and knew he was safe.
        Lex approached the firing line, took as much time as he had before, and fired his arrows precisely. His cluster was predictably just good enough to pass, and the eliminated archer cursed and stormed off. Lex was just glad he hadn't become hostile. When the next round began, the firing order was mixed up at random. Lex would fire second, just after the archer to have come in second the round before. The archer was clearly nervous when he stepped up, and he dropped one of the arrows as he was selecting for his shots. Finally, he found the nerve to collect himself, and he fired his arrows. The starting shot was a bullseye, his first of the competition, the second, right next to it. It appeared that the pressure was serving him well, until he let his third shot fly. It was off by quite a bit, and he deflated in disappointment. He walked away from the competition, not even waiting to see the outcome. He knew that he'd be eliminated. Lex came up, made his three shots with a lot less consideration, easily having a better score than the man before him. The huntsman, made three nearly perfect shots, not relaxing even with such an easy pass.
        Being that last two competitors, Lex and the huntsman were made to shake hands. Then they were to take turns firing. One shot each, back and forth, until there was a clear victor. The huntsman, having shot best the whole contest, was given the choice of to shoot first or second, and he chose second. Lex took up his position, drew his arrow, and fired without much effort. His shot was good, but not expert. The huntsman fired with his usual calculation, putting his arrow beside Lex's, purposefully drawing out the game. Lex, shot his next arrow, and it struck just inside, the huntsman's. So it went, for three more shots each, the arrows just barely inside the previous, until the huntsman struck a bullseye. The crowd had been silent up until now, and many thought the competition over, that Alexi, servant of house Lekari had lost, but he amazed them all into stunned silence. He stepped up, drew an arrow at random, drew back, looked over to where Maya watched from, and let fly without looking. His arrow struck true, splitting down the shaft of the huntsman's and driving into the target.
        After a few moments of silence the noise exploded all around, and the announcer had to shout to get the people to calm down. The huntsman had another shot. He stepped up, aimed with great precision, and fired. His arrow struck next to Lex's knocking it from the target, and kept the contest going. Lex stepped up, grabbed an arrow without consideration, and fired. Again he split the shaft of the huntsman's arrow. The huntsman, was not pleased as he stepped up and fired again. His arrow struck against Lex's again, but this time it did not hold, and Lex's did. He was defeated. The crowd went wild, and Lex turned to bow to them. As he did, he saw a few faces looking past him with shock, and he knew he was in danger. He spun around, contest bow still in hand, drawing an arrow from his own quiver, and firing on instinct. His shot collided with the arrow speeding at him, and the huntsman stood in dumbfounded shock. Another arrow to bow string and Lex let fly, then another right behind. The first pierced the huntsman's hand, the second his knee. Guards rushed in to grab the now wounded man, as he still attempted to flee.
        "Ladies and Gentleman," the announcer cried out through the noise, his voice magically amplified, "our winner, and hero of the day! Alexi of house Lekari!"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

As Lex entered the contest, Maya was carried into the audience. Once the palanquin was lowered, she exited with the assistance of one of the palanquin bearers and pushed her way to the front for a good view. It didn't involve much actual pushing, however; the audience was made up mostly of commoners, and they were quick to recognize her as nobility and get out of her way.

There she stood to watch the tournament play out, rather happy for this diversion. It wasn't quite as interesting as the Colosseum battles (though Maya had never attended the death matches; she didn't have the stomach), but it was fun! Of course, she tried to maintain an air of being critical, like this mere peasant tourney was beneath her, while inside she delighted in the show.

At least, until it was Lex's turn, and he did...passably good.

What the...?

Hadn't he spent all their time together boasting?!

She frowned and crossed her arms beneath her ample chest, eyes narrowing as she watched--and as Lex only barely squeaked by. Blasted man! He was representing her House! Was he doing this on purpose, to get a rise out of her and shame her? Or had he just been that overconfident? Either way, he was going to make her look like a laughingstock!

...Except, Maya realized abruptly, he'd made it to the second to last round.

Squeak by he had done, but he was still in the final four.

And then, it was just he and the huntsman.

That got Maya's attention again, and she watched, rapt, as the final two contestants faced each other down. Back and forth they shot, and if Maya had been sitting, she would have been on the edge of her seat. How had Lex managed this? Was he actually going to win? But that other man was really good, too, and--

And there it was.

Victory!

Which meant the pot was hers and--

The huntsman had his bow leveled at Lex, an arrow drawn and ready to let loose at his back.

"Lex!" Maya yelled, her voice drowned out by the gasps of the crowd, and thank the gods, but Lex picked up that something was wrong. She held her breath as he spun and shot the arrow out of the air, and cringed when he put two more in the huntsman.

What a stupid move that had been!

As Lex's victory and heroism was announced, Maya broke off from the crowd and rushed over to Lex, coming up beside him and laying a hand on his arm. "You actually did it," she said, trying not to look as impressed as she felt. Inside, she was thrumming with exhilaration, but she'd always been taught not to give all her cards away at once, and that it was a good idea to make men work for one's adoration! "Well done! Though it seems not everyone thinks so," she added with a sour look at the huntsman, who was being hauled away.

"Can't imagine how he thought he'd get away with that! Toss him in the nearest prison. An assault on a servant of House Lekari is an assault on me!"

Aeytrious

Lex smiled at Maya with her congratulations, and his smile grew at her anger toward the huntsman. As she yelled for his imprisonment, he politely excused himself to find the bookie. When he found the man, he already had his winnings in a leather purse for him. He handed the sack of coins to Lex with a big grin, then tossed him a smaller sack that jangled as Lex caught it. "What's this," he asked the man.
        "Just a little something extra as thanks," the bookie gave a small laugh, "you're the only person that bet on you. We raked in a bundle on all the losses you caused everyone." The homely man laughed a deep booming laugh as he walked away. Seems Lex had made a little extra, and the crowd didn't riot at their losses. May have been as a result of the great show, or at least because of his heroic shots to save his own life and disable the huntsman. He found his way back to Maya, now a much richer man, and bowed to her like a proper servant.
        "M'lady, I have won the day for you," no sooner had the words left his mouth, than the contest organizers approached with the purse she won for entering her servant. His odds on the bet had been fifty to won, and he'd got himself two hundred gold, but the purse for first place had been more than twice that. They brought it to her in a small chest, five hundred Adelan gold pieces. Enough for a peasant family to live comfortably on for their entire lives. A drop of water in the ocean, compared to the wealth of nobles like her, but more than enough to enjoy a bit of shopping.
        "Congratulations Lady Lekari, on winning first prize," one of the officials said to her, "We hope that you might enter your servant at this years harvest festival. We're supposed to be getting entrants even from Serendipity this year." The three men in charge, bowed to her as servants presented the chest.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"I'll be most sure to enter him into that contest, not to worry!" Maya said before she even realized what she was saying. The words just rolled off her tongue in all the excitement of the day. Gods, she hadn't realized just how big the prize was! Not a bad reward for a bunch of peasants to have assembled.

And then, turning to Lex, she gave him a smug smile. "A bunch of willowy Serenians should be nothing to you, correct?"

Aeytrious

"There's no man alive that could out shoot me when m'lady's honor is on the line," Lex said, with an appropriately deep bow to Maya. He really was good at playing the part. His youth, spent as a servant in his fathers household, added to the years of observing the people he plundered, had given him more than adequate knowledge. With his winnings today, he'd be able to buy the appropriate attire for visiting Maya. He'd have to dig up the signet his mother had stolen when they were thrown from his fathers house, but that was no trouble. Entering her world was going to be a fun adventure.
        "If m'lady is ready, should we get her shopping underway?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Of course I'm ready," Maya said with a snort. "I've been ready. What else would I do here? Come, let's be off! This coin is heavy and needs to be spent."

And with that said, Maya turned on her heel and headed back to her palanquin, which she boarded with the help of one of the carriers. "If we're done here, let's be on our way! Hurry up, now! Get that chest loaded!" she snapped, and as soon as her carriers got her winnings into the palanquin, they lifted her and promptly bore her back the way they'd come, up the side street and back toward the market.

Aeytrious

Lex fell in beside the palanquin, easily keeping pace with the footmen. He decided it was best not to pick any more pockets. Especially now that he had a fat purse. He directed the carriers to take Maya to where she could spend her money on fine clothes and other luxuries. He knew that was what she'd want. She was predictable that way. He'd buy himself a tailored gentleman's outfit while he was at it.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

It wasn't long before they'd made it to the marketplace, and once there, Maya ordered the palanquin lowered so she could disembark. Helped down, she adjusted her skirts, brushed some errant hairs from her face, and turned to face her "servant".

"I'll be walking from here, so keep close," she ordered, as she took off at a brisk walk. Being carried was nice, but if she was going to browse the wares, she wanted to do so at her leisure--and be able to touch and examine the items at will. Of course, she could just order her "servant" to bring her items to examine, but it was too time consuming, having to explain and describe what she wanted.

But for now, she knew exactly what she wanted as she headed for where she knew her favorite Essyrni trader was. All she needed to do was follow the scent of exotic perfume.

The woman was there, as she always was, with several tables laid out with a spread of various goods, from fine clothing and fabrics, to trinkets and vials of perfume. She even had a few rolled-up rugs on the ground near the tables. Brightening at the sight, Maya hurried over to the tables and began to browse, first checking out the clothes she was offering--and seeing that one of her favorites was still there.

One of her favorites, indeed, but something she definitely didn't have the guts to wear. Because while the robe--which hung off the shoulder--was gorgeous, of a dark blue fabric with many tiny gems sewn into the fabric so they glittered like stars in the night sky...it was also completely sheer. But maybe if she found the right outfit to wear under it?

Pursing her lips in thought, she examined it for the fiftieth time, debating.

Aeytrious

"If m'lady would accept the opinion of her servant," Lex said, stepping up to his temporary mistress, "I think that would be an excellent purchase." He imagined Maya wearing it as it was meant to be worn, with little beneath it. Her breasts pressing against the sheer material made for a pleasant image in his mind, and his internalized lecherous grin was wide. "I have heard Essyrni dancers wear something like this when they perform," he didn't mention that his sometimes lover, Karis, would wear something like it for the nights he snuck in her window. "The material would be perfect for sleeping on the hottest of evenings," evenings hot with passion. It wasn't only his grin that grew as his thoughts continued down such a lascivious path.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey