Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Tricky Delivery [SanguineBlade][WickedBasket]

Started by Alegretto, February 16, 2014, 12:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

Viatrus had taken the job without knowing the exact details of it. An unfortunate mistake. He'd thought it would be easy when the contractor told him that he just had to deliver a letter to Adela castle. The large payout had blinded him to the potential risks, and in his greed he'd already accepted the job before he learned that the letter had to be left in a very specific dead drop, far inside the castle. That bit of information complicated things significantly. If he'd heard before he'd taken the job then he would have refused. As it was, Viatrus was trapped. He had a reputation to maintain, so he had to do this job. Still, there was no way he could do it alone. He was an experienced infiltrator, but he knew he was going to need help with this one.

Towards that end, Viatrus sought ought other individuals of, experience. He'd heard that a seedy watering hole called the Black Rabbit was a good place to find those with talent. Locating the place was no ordeal, but judging from the noise emerging from the establishment, the inside might be. The halfling was amazed to hear the sounds of drinking and carousing from the place. For the love of... he thought. It was 10:30 in the morning!

Viatrus walked into the dimly lit tavern cautiously. It was easy for a short man to get trampled in a place like this. He looked about him, taking in the decrepit walls, the sagging chairs, and the greasy tableware. He was hoping to spot someone who might be helpful with his job, for a share of the profit of course. It was tough going, most of the patrons looked like they'd stab him in the back before the job was even halfway through. Still he kept searching. The right people had to be in here somewhere, Viatrus could feel it.

Codestar7

Keltros lingered, unmoving in the shadows, He had not found work for a while. Probably because he hid in the shadows. He stepped out, and ordered a whiskey at the bar, which he received immediately. The Black Rabbit was known for a hasty service.

He sat back down, this time in a more open seat. As always, he laid two fingers on the table, showing he was looking for work.

Keltros was a master thief. He had been in his trade for a decade. He started stealing when he pilfered his school friend's sweet candy, at the age of 12.

Keltros observed a man enter. His face showed signs of distress. He glanced over at the newcomer, an their eyes locked.

Alegretto

Viatrus' breath caught as his eyes met those of a black-clad man sitting in the corner of the tavern. His gaze was intense, and his garb professional. Now this was the kind of man he had come to see. It appeared the Black Rabbit lived up to expectations.

The halfling made his way to the table, easily weaving his way between swaying patrons and messy tables. As he got closer he noticed that the man was displaying the signal that he was looking for work. Perfect. The The courier pulled out a chair from the table and quite literally jumped onto it. He eyed his potential partner carefully, taking in all he could. From the ease with which he blended into the shadows to the wicked pair of daggers he wore and the way he carried himself with confidence. Now here was a fellow who respected his trade. Viatrus was pretty sure he could trust the guy, once he'd hired him. At least, until the job was done.

In his best tough guy voice, ((OOC not really all that tough, actually kind of comical)) Viatrus began the conversation. "So you're looking for work. Up for something a little... challenging?"

Codestar7

"I am the Thief of night," replied he. "I am up for anything." He explained this almost menacingly, trying to show this newcomer he was hot shit. Which he was. The person sitting opposite him would be in his early twenties, estimated Keltros. On the other hand, he could be slightly under, considering the voice he put on. Keltros was subtly chuckling inside.

The thief toyed with a stolen bracelet on his wrist, and after studying the man obviously wanting someone to talk to, questioned. "What will you have me do?" He added, "What is your name?"

Alegretto

Viatrus was nervous, but he did his best not to show it, presenting as much bravado as he could when he replied. "My name is Viatrus Garrince, and I'm an independent courier. Best one this side of Adela. Anyway, I recently took a job that I need a bit o' help on. See, I've got to leave a letter in a dead-drop location pretty deep inside Adela castle, an' I figure my skills at burglarin' just ain't good enough. So I'm recruiting some outside help. You know, being the best also means knowing when you gotta get some assistance. Anyhow, Are you interested in a little backward robbery Mr. Thief of the Night?"

The way the title was said could be taken as derision, but careful listening would prove that Viatrus said the words with only the utmost respect.

Codestar7

Keltros chuckled. "I guess I could help you. I have, in the past, stolen various goods from the castle." He held up his wrist. "This bracelet, I pilfered from the halls of the King himself. I will help you, as long as i get a profit from it." This Keltros had to pronounce slightly louder, the roar in the Black Rabhit had escalated somewhat. "What is in it for me, Viatrus."

Alegretto

Viatrus nodded at the man's question. "A whole lot of gold. I'll pay you half of my commission." Viatrus named a figure that, while it wouldn't set a man for life, would allow him to live comfortably for a solid ten years.

He opened up his bag and pulled out a single coin. "Paid in these. My client gave me ten percent in advance." He slid the coin across the table to the other man. "You interested?"

Codestar7

"Okay. I'm intrigued." Keltros grabbed the coin and sighed. He was glad he finally had another job. He was a young one. Keltros was interested to see what Viatrus could get done. He seemed  a skilled thief  tho not at expert as the thief of night, a title he earned for the Great Heist of Arrelano.
"What are we placing at the dead-drop? And for whom are we dropping it."

Alegretto

Viatrus shrugged at the man's question. "Dunno what it is. Just some paper in an envelope. Dunno who the job is for, either. They've hired me before though, a couple times, and his or her gold is always good. They always get me and pay me through intermediaries. That's the appeal of the way I do it. I'm not always fast, but I always get the delivery there with no questions asked on either end."

Viatrus knew that he was asking the man a lot, not knowing what he was getting into, but the cash reward was very high and this fellow seemed like a pro. He hoped that the secrecy wouldn't deter him, but he wasn't too worried. This Thief of the Night seemed like the type who preferred secrecy, especially seeing how he hadn't even given his real name!

Codestar7

"Hmm. You say you have been paid by them before. I know the deceitful type. You do not seem like one to be a sly fox. The Thief of the Night knows. I will help you with this, as long as you don't happen to double cross me. Seeing as I don't like Adelan royalty, I'll help you sneak into the castle, might pilfer a bit of gold and jewellery for myself. I accept. When do we start?"

Alegretto

Viatrus nodded at the man's acceptance. Yep, definitely a pro. The man had read the halfling in a second. Not that he minded. The little man quite purposely had nothing to hide. He made very sure that he knew as little as possible about the things he carried and always tried to be as frank and open as possible. Having few secrets and lying very rarely gave you a type of aura that made people trust you a lot more. A useful trait when you're trying to get folks to hire you to carry sensitive information or when convincing others to work with you.

He answered the Thief of the Night's question about time and even threw in some information about place. "Tomorrow, 2100 hours by the castle's western wall. I'll see you there. Bring everything you'll need for a job. And by all means steal as much as you like. Covers up that I left something behind." So saying, Viatrus hopped off his chair and weaved his way out of the establishment, making very sure to stay out of everyone's way.

((OOC: Yay hundredth post. :) Thanks to everyone who's posted with me and helped me get this far.))

Codestar7

((OOC: a lot quicker than me. Good job. Though, if I posted during the summer, I'd have like 1000 posts))

"Heh. Everything I need," muttered Keltros. He needed nothing but what he was wearing, including the concealed dagger in his boot. He left, quite in an opposite manner to his hirer. He barged through, and everyone stepped out of his way.

Keltros, invisible in the night, spotted Viatrus standing by the wall. He met him there, silent, and almost unnoticed.

Alegretto

((OOC: Was looking at the time you registered and wondering how you could have posted in summer when you started in November last year, than noticed that you live in Australia ;D)

Viatrus almost didn't see the man until he was upon him. The halfling started, hissing a curse in his shock. "Don't sneak up on me like that. You'll make my heart stop." The sentiment repeated itself in his mind. Definitely a pro...

He addressed the master thief. "So I've been looking around here a couple days, and I'm pretty sure there's a shift change on top of the wall in an a half-hour or so. Unless you have a better idea, we'll go over the wall then."

He pulled a small envelope out of his satchel. "We need to slide this under the door of the corner bedroom facing north on the third floor. I don't know the layout inside or the patrols, so I'll be relying on you to get us through. Any questions?"

Codestar7

Being stuck-up, Kortorn replied "of course I have no questions. Your idea is a good one. We Will wait. I know my way around in there like the back of my hand. But just one thing. There are two bedrooms facing north in the corner on the third floor."
All was silent for a few seconds after he said this.

Alegretto

The silence rang out, for several moments, until it was broken by the halflings whispered curses. "Blast it all! How are supposed to, but that's not even, Argh!" He calmed down with a bit of measured breathing. "Whatever, we'll deal with it when we get there."

Viatrus pulled out a small hourglass and stared at the falling sand. "Okay, shift changes twenty-five minutes or so. Better tuck in." So saying, the halfling curled up against the wall and swathed himself in his cloak, both as a protection against the cold night air and to deflect attention. After all, no one payed attention to a drunk or homeless man passed out on the sleep.

Codestar7

Keltros simply stood there, and after a few moments, literally faded, camouflaged against the black of the sky. Only a handful possessed this ability. This was gonna be a long 25 minutes.

Alegretto

The minutes ticked by, and Viatrus must have checked the hourglass at least three times every one of those minutes. Finally, the sand ran out. A few more moments, and Viatrus heard walking coming form the top of the wall. Shift change. He waited until he heard a slam as the door leading into the keep closed behind the soldier. By the guards' pattern over the last few nights they had five minutes. He related as much to the other man before preparing for his entry.

Quickly and carefully, the halfling unshouldered his crossbow and used his belt hook to arm the weapon He then pulled out a rope from his bag. It was attached to a bolt with an odd claw-like head which he deftly loaded into the his weapon. He aimed just over the wall and squeezed the crossbow's trigger. The bolt flew clear over the wall. Viatrus tugged on the rope and felt the jolt as the grappling hook bit into the stone. Quick as a whip the halfling grabbed the robe and started climbing. It was only when he reached the top of the wall, had unhooked his bolt and coiled his rope, that he stopped to check how his accomplice was faring.

Codestar7

Viatrus looked down, but of course, he could see nothing. Kortorn was not there.
Kortorn scuttled through a castle gate just as a cart of food trundled in. He waited for the guard to exit the stairs, and hopped up. He appeared behind Viatrus, and regained visibility. He tapped the young thief on the shoulder.

Alegretto

Viatrus had lost sight of the thief. He was started looking elsewhere for him, when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He lept backwards, pulling out his knife as he flew...

But it was only that stupid thief, pulling one of his stupid pranks. Viatrus cursed again. "What did I say about sneaking up on me!" He shook his head. "Whatever, come on." The halfling ran over to the door leading inside the massive castle. "We're on the second floor now and we need to get to the third. You take the lead and do your creepy disappearing thing to check to see if it's safe for me to follow."

Normally Viatrus was more cordial, and not prone to giving orders, but this man's antics and this job in general had him on edge. He opened he door for the thief. "Go!" he hissed. "Before the next guard shows up!"

Codestar7

Keltros disappeared before the other man's eyes, and began creeping up the stairs. So far, he heard nothing. As usual, this part of the castle was quiet. Despite this, he continued scuttling up the stairs.

As he reached the top, he smelt something... New. He looked around. New carpet. This would mean that there wouldn't be anyone here for days, the fumes would still be toxic. Keltros reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief, and covered his nose and mouth. He searched around, but there were no guards on this floor.

He searched for the corner room facing north, and he was correct in saying there were two. He examined the doors and surrounding areas of both carefully. After a few minutes of looking he found a tiny scratch on the bottom of one of the doors. Almost impossible to notice. Immediately, he returned to Viatrus.

"There's nothing out of the ordinary," he explained. "Let's go."