Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Even the Ocean Cannot Stop Justice!

Started by visualspice, February 25, 2014, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Leif made a face at Audric's remark, but he understood the man completely- but did they honestly have time to be playing with the fishes? Sighing long after Audric left, he drew in a long, heated breath before dropping into the water- and his own flowered breathing straw followed angrily after his friend's.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

It was a bit difficult to swim with the weight of the cape, which Audric wrapped around an arm, and the weight of a dozen different weapons as well.  It was also difficult to swim at a slow, easy pace that, he hoped, seemed natural to the guards searching for them and to breathe through the little straw.  Yet, Audric managed the feat well-enough; in spite of his advancing age and time at a desk, his frequent outings riding, hunting, and, of course, as the Swordsman kept him in good shape, and he had always been a gifted swimmer.

The pair had to go quite a ways before they reached the tower.  Audric managed to keep a fairly accurate estimation of their location in his head, although he was, temporarily, thrown off by the discovery of a statue still standing and blocking the path ahead.

The water was quite a bit deeper here, thanks to the erosion of the soil and lay-out of the gardens, and it was only once the ground began to slant upwards beneath them that Audric paused to cautiously lift his head above water in search for the guards.

The flower remained on his head, like a lady's headpiece, as his eyes sharply scoured the grounds.

visualspice

A moment later, Leif's head poked up beneath his flower-pad, too. Although his fashionable flower hat looked more like a soggy bonnet, with a droopy flower to match.
"Remind me next time not to wear my cap in water," he growled. "And I'm sure my boots will continue to chafe me until they are dry." And his green eyes darted around now like a cat befre he sunk a little lower in the water and looked over at Audric. "Which way? Seems the guards are more focused on helping those inside."
WHihc was good- it meant at least Audric's family should be ok.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric blinked at Leif, then grinned broadly...though who could say if it was the droopy flower bonnet or his complaints that drew such a cheerful expression from the older man.

"That's not the only problem you're going to have.  Salt water dries stiff -- because of the salt.  And you'll have to make sure you clean your weapons as soon as you can."

He scuttled forward, suddenly, abandoning his hat as he stepped into the shadow of the tower.  He pressed along the side of it, then took out his keys to open the small door set in the side of the tower.

"This is the back entrance," he explained.  "Hopefully, we'll take anyone guarding the door by surprise.  After that, it's straight up."  As the lock clicked open, he paused to regard Leif with a very serious expression indeed.  "Leif, you know better than I do what to expect.  Is there anything I should know?"

visualspice

Leif had nearly forgotten about the droppy flower bonnet until they were already making their way around back. But when he did, he snatched it from his head and threw it back into the sea waters. He then scowled at Audric's words.

"No more stiff than my temper, come on." And he followed the man to the back, keeping his eyes peeled for any guards or other danger. But seeing how just about everyone was in a panic, no one seemed to see the two masked vigilantes swimming around in broad daylight.

Pausing at the stairs, he blinked at Audric's question and growled, "Like what?"

Ivory

Audric's words seemed light, but there was no lightness in either his tone or his expression.

"Like if she can turn her powers on us.  Or like what we do if she won't stop, even if we say pretty please."

visualspice

Leif gritted his teeth.
"We can cross that bridge when we get there." For he dare not speak of what he might have to do if it came down to it-
For he knew at least one sure what to turn a mage off. And he'd rather not lose his sister again.

Ivory

Audric frowned at Leif, giving him, at last, a slow nod.  Hopefully, they wouldn't have to hurt her -- or worse -- and he hoped Leif would understand if it came down to that...well, Audric would have no choice.

"When we get there," he agreed gravely.

"This tower isn't very large.  I don't think we should split up."  Just in case...  God knew what else was in this tower...

visualspice

Leif nodded as he followed closely behind  Audric, but the sudden surge of more water gushed around them- and was most unexpected, as Leif found himself suddenly under water and being pulled away from his partner in crime. They had even the time to open the door yet to the tower, but it seemed the water had other plans- and fate was not making it easy for them.

A moment later he resurface with a gasp, and clung to a nearby stone statue that was no longer sticking out of the water, but was high enough so that he could keep his face out from it. But he was a soggy mess, and his cage was weighing him down,a nd remained entangled on something deep beneath the water. The man sputtered and tried to look around him, but the current caught him again and dragge dhis head back under, and he was seeing painful, murky waters before he close dhis eyes tightly and tried to hold onto his breath.

Ivory

The wave was as unexpected as it was sudden.  Audric was swept in the same general direction as Leif, but their paths split as the water rushed to find the paths of least resistance.  He bobbed to the surface near a tree, clinging to one of its lower branches for a moment before scaling the tree to try to get his bearings.

The branch he perched on creaked threateningly beneath his weight, but it held as he inched along its length.  In the distance, he could see what had caused the sudden wave: the levee had broken beneath the weight of the water, and fresh water was flooding the palace grounds and city in greater volume, now.  It was no longer a nuisance; if the levee continued to break down, the whole city would be swept away before long!

Damn.

With the current heavily against them and waters rising, he was going to have to make some compromises with his outfit.  He undid his cloak pin and draped the thick, dark cloth over the limb of the tree.  His sword belt was next; it would weigh him down too much.  He caressed the hilt apologetically, then began to remove most of the rest of his weapons.  He worked quickly.  As he set the last of the weapons down, his eyes swept over the grounds, a bobbing black shape catching his eye for a moment before it was swept under the waves.

Double damn.

The smart thing to do would have been to clamber back down to splash into the water below, but Audric was in a hurry.  Instead of wasting that precious time, he risked breaking his neck as he dove back beneath the waves and began to make his way towards where he had last seen Leif with long, powerful strokes.  Reaching the location, he dove downwards, bobbing, momentarily, like a duck before vanishing beneath the waves as well.

Leif would feel a tug on his cape, then the sensation of a knife to his throat.  Rather than cutting his flesh, however, the blade slid through the fabric of his cape.  As the material fell away, supporting arms would go around Leif as his rescuer brought him back to the surface.

Audric barely gave Leif time to catch his breath before paddling towards the tower again.  One arm was still around Leif below the armpits, pulling him along as he fought the current with the other arm and his legs.  With his back towards his rescuer, Leif would not be able to see who had saved him until he had caught his breath and turned around...but he would certainly recognize the voice.

"You can play in the water later, Leif," Audric scolded playfully.  "Right now, we have to get to that tower.  We're out of time!"

visualspice

Breaking the water's surface once he was freed of his constricting cloak- Leif gasped and sputtered for air, expelling what water he could until he retched. Shivering bitterly, he eventually turned tired, red strained eyes to Audric as he snorted, and afforded him a half-assed grin.
"Just shut the fuck up, Audric and let's get inside the tower." And as he moved to look around, he tried swiping the water from his face.

"We obviously can't get in through the door." Now he slicked back his hair, as it suctioned into an unruly heap upon his head. He sipped, water dripping off his nose.
"There.." he noticed a window, one that the water was just about touching. "We'll have to get in through there." But it seemed as if a strong current was pulling between them- and the window.

Ivory

The current was indeed swift here, and Audric stared at the swiftly moving water with a slight frown before turning to Leif.

"Looks like you're up.  I can't swim that.  I'll end up downtown somewhere -- alive, if I'm lucky.  I don't suppose you have anything helpful on you, do you?  Like a grappling hook and some line?"

Failing that, they were going to have to get creative...

visualspice

Leif scowled and reached into his outfit and awkwardly pulled out a grappling hook. He then awkardly worked at latching it to his belt as quickly as he could while the sea waters were still rising dangerously all around them. Once he had that secure, his eyes narrowed upon the stone lip of the window- and rose the metal hook high above his head before giving it a toss.

But it weakly fell just a few feet before them in the water with a sploosh. Cursing, he tugged it back in and tried again, but the grappling hook continued to fall short. His patience was wearing thin, and he knew time was running out. And just as he was about to give upa nd just test his luck with the currents, his last angered shot worked- and the grappling hook latched onto the stone wtih a metal cling.

Giving a triumphant pull on the hook, Leif actually laughed and turned to Audric. "Looks like we got ourselves a way across." And he gestured regally to his masked friend.
"After you, Lady Abigail."

Ivory

"I must admit, you had me worried for a moment," Audric answers, ignoring the good-natured teasing.  Carefully, knowing one end was anchored only to his friend, he began to move across the current and towards the window.

This was going to end up being the least of their concerns once they stopped the flooding, but it still felt a bit like he was desecrating his own home as he fished out one of the light axes he had kept.  He used the back end of it to smash the glass and clear it away from the frame, then carefully hauled himself up to crouch on the sill to wait for his friend.

The window was narrow, but, if they moved slowly and held their breaths, they should be able to squeeze through.  Inside, there would be a drop of only three feet or so onto the steps; clearly, the structure had been made with archers in mind.

"How you doing, Cai?  Need me to haul you in?"

visualspice

Leif cut a look Audric's way and called over the waters.
"Just be sure the hook doesn't come loose!" And once Audric gave him an all clear, he pushed himself off and began his fight against the current. The waters were rushing, racing- fast- but he could feel the line held true, and with one gloved hand in front of the other, he pulled himself to the window and took Audric's hand.
"Help me up, I feel like lead."

Ivory

Audric leaned forward to do just that and grunted in surprise as he helped the younger man pull himself up.  "No wonder.  You weigh as much as lead.  What the hell have you been eating?"

The water, of course, was asserting its hold over the Masked Mordecai, weighing him down and trying to pull him away.  At last, however, the pair of men were standing on the sill.

Audric took a deep breath, then glanced to Cai.  "Are you ready?"

visualspice

Leif turned to Audric with a firm nod.
"I'm ready. Let's just hope we're not too late." ANd his eyes cut into the room, the water rising fast up the steps, but it was at least a little more shallow inside the side of the tower than it was outside. He wasted no time dropping onto the stone steps and making haste up the spiraling stairs where, at first he didn't notice it, but he slowed down as he walked and noticed thin tendrils of water snaking their way up the sides of the walls.

Pausing now in midstride, he held up a hand for Audric to do the same as his eyes followed up the walls to the ceiling where the same thin moving strings of water were flowing upwards, and following the curvature of the steps. He gave a curious tilt of his head, then breathed out the realization, "Attie.."
And he began to race up the stairs again.

Ivory

"What is it?" Audric questioned as he paused behind Leif -- only for the Masked Mordecai to take off again like a shot!

But, by then, he had already spotted what Leif was looking at...and, frankly, it gave him a bit of a chill.  He liked Attie, he truly did, and he knew she hadn't deserved what had happened to her...  But water flowing up stone was still an unnatural site that made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

"We must be nearly there," he added, a little needlessly.

visualspice

By the time the last curl in the steps was conquered, the landing at the top greeted him with a thick door of wood- one that, as he tried to knob, was evidently locked. But it was obvious who dwelled within as the waters snaking along the walls was converging in through the cracks of the door and all but disappearing to the room on the other side.

Angrily he banged on the door.
"Attie! Attie! Are you in there?" And desperately, he tried at the door again.

Ivory

When it became apparent that Attie wasn't going to open the door, Audric reached into his pocket to pull out a keyring.  "Step back, Cai.  And have you weapons ready.  God knows who else is in there."

The keys on the ring were all skeleton keys, so it didn't take long to find the appropriate one.  With a flick of his wrist, the door came unlocked, and he burst into the room with one axe in his hand and his other hand reaching for the second.