Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mindshifter Hospitality [Rhi] [M]

Started by DaGlobster, April 05, 2014, 02:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"I never heard ya could get killed in the afterlife," Yun said with a worried frown. "If that happened, does that mean ya can't be reborn?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Honestly, Yun, I don't even know," Han said, and he shrugged.

"I mean, I'm just a wizard. But I'll look into it, my love," Han said.

Rhindeer

"Guess I could always just ask a priestess," Yun muttered, scratching the back of her head. "Anyway, whatever! We're almost there! C'mon!"

And with a smile his way, she took off through the crowd, leading the way down the twisting streets--and toward the dojo, with its high, pointed roof and elaborate architecture.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"While you're at it, you can ask her if Inima watches people fuck," Han teased, but he didn't have time to laugh. Yun took off and he had to focus on keeping up with her, and before long, they were there, standing in front of the dojo.

"Wow, you train in there? It must be so cool."

Rhindeer

Ew, ew, ew! Yun was happy for the subject change because she was most definitely NOT going to be asking that question, because she didn't want an answer and didn't want to think about it! Gross, gross, gross!

Standing before the dojo, Yun laughed at Han's question. "Cool? It's actually pretty stuffy in there normally." She took a deep breath.

"Alright. Guess it's time to just...get the awkward over with! C'mon!" she said, and once again dragged Han along by the hand--and in through the large, arched doorway.

Inside, there were several rows of young women, and a few young men, moving in formation through various stances with the bo staff, lead by an older woman in the front. And, of course, everyone stopped and looked when Yun and Han walked through the door.

DaGlobster

Almost instinctively, Han shuffled a bit behind Yun once all those eyes turned to them. She was the familiar one here, and he felt a bit more secure like that anyways. It felt different from walking around in the city, because nobody really paid attention to you. Everybody was going on about their business, and even Han, with his incredibly sheltered life, could acclimate to that sort of crowd.

But having all those eyes just locked onto him made his tongue catch in his mouth, and all he could do was wave a small greeting towards the rest of the room, silently hoping Yun would speak up.

Rhindeer

Han wasn't the only one with a frozen tongue. Because right then, Yun's never-ending mouth felt glued shut.

Because, of course, the woman leading those warriors through their stances just had to be Kuan, and the woman's two-toned eyes were right on her.

And though the woman never showed much on her face in terms of expression, Yun was close enough to her mentor to recognize the subtle signs that showed she was absolutely LIVID: the tightness around her mouth, the slight creases around her eyes, the way her hands tensed just the slightest bit around that staff as her posture grew just a bit straighter. Kuan stared at her a moment longer, unblinking, while Han was utterly no help at all since he was hiding behind her--when she should be the one hiding! And then, when Yun felt ready to shrink under that stare, Kuan turned back to her students.

"Pair up. Rotate sparring partners every three bouts," she called, before she turned back to Yun and Han--and strode toward them.

Yun pressed back against Han, knowing she was dead meat but knowing she was supposed to be the brave, tough warrior protector here! She couldn't run! She had to be brave and look death in the eye! She had to protect Han and--!

Kuan grabbed Yun by the front of her shirt and yanked her forward until they were eye to eye. "Explain yourself."

"I-I got lost in the jungle and um--"

"In the jungle? How? The road doesn't lead through the jungle."

"I-it was rainy so I took a shortcut and--"

Kuan heaved a sigh. "I specifically told you to take Oriko Road. That still doesn't explain being days late."

"I, um, I got into a mess with some Sightweed and er, Han..."

Kuan flicked a look to Han.

"He helped me...?"

Shit. She was forgetting everything in her panic.

DaGlobster

Oh shit. This was the infamous Kuan that Yun had told him about! Han found the prospect of finally getting to meet her both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. At this moment, it was more terrifying than thrilling. However, Han saw that Yun was starting to slip, and he stepped up.

"There was a storm that day before I found her, and it must have forced her off of the road. She ran through a patch of Sightweed, and she must have wandered for a really long time before I found here. Had I not..."

Han trailed off, and looked to Yun, hoping the look on his face would say the rest.

"I helped her recover, a-and she offered for me to come with her. She said the warriors could use a proper herbalist and doctor."

Rhindeer

Kuan looked about ready to lay into Yun something fierce when Han interrupted, and she fixed him with a sharp look, two-toned eyes narrowed. She listened to him speak, though, expression unchanging--but Yun noticed with some relief that her eyes seemed to soften a little toward the end.

Finally, Kuan let out a sigh and shook her head. It was Yun she was angry with, not this new boy, and if his story was true, then he may have just saved her protege's life.

"I see," was all she said, and she flicked another look at Yun that had the girl ducking her head. Yun didn't want her to figure out that there was a lot they weren't telling her, after all! "Very well. Then it seems I owe you my thanks, for saving my student's life."

She offered Han a small bow. "Thank you for seeing her home safely. I hope she wasn't too much trouble."

DaGlobster

Han had to fight back a blush, but he foud himself capable of nodding without looking awkward, and he smiled at Kuan.

"Oh, she was no trouble at all," he said as he put a hand on Yun's shoulder.

Rhindeer

"Really," Kuan said, less question and more skeptical statement. She had never known Yun to NOT be a handful. She flicked a look at Yun, who beamed back with puppy-dog innocence. The sort of puppy-dog innocence that made Kuan wonder just when she'd step into the mess, and where.

"That's good to hear. And you were looking to become an herbalist here?"

DaGlobster

"Yes!" came Han's immediate reply. He stepped past Yun so he could speak to her more directly.

"I can set a bone, make healing powders, and make some really energizing herbal teas, among other things," he said, letting genuine excitement bleed into his "pitch."

"Yun told me the dojo had an opening?"

Rhindeer

"We do," Kuan said, looking over at Yun and then back  "Our current doctor is soon to retire. You can do all those thing? You look young."

DaGlobster

"I was pretty much raised to do it," Han said, rubbing his head a bit sheepishly.

"I'm not from the city. I was raised out in the jungle by my grandfather."

Rhindeer

Kuan gave a curious tilt of her head. "Hm." She glanced out at the other young practicing Warriors and then back to Han, considering.

"I suppose we could give you a trial period. I will have our current doctor test you to ensure you know the material."

DaGlobster

"Thank you!" Han said, and he couldn't help but shoot Yun a triumphant smile.

"It means so much to me that you'll give me a shot. I won't disappoint!"

Rhindeer

"Good," Kuan said with a nod of her head. "She's currently in the neighboring hut tending to Xuna. A sprained wrist, nothing serious," she added at Yun's worried look.

"Meet her there, and tell her Kuan sent you for evaluation. And as for you, miss..."

Yun grimaced as Kuan turned to look at her, face stony as ever. "I understand that you got lost, but that wouldn't have happened had you stuck to the road like I told you. You're on chamberpot duty for the week. Next time, maybe you'll do as you're instructed."

DaGlobster

At Kuan's verdicts, Han gave Yun a short glance before patting her shoulder. Living in the jungle hadn't spared him from having to clean his grandfather's chamber pot once the old wizard started to deteriorate.

"I'll, er, take my leave. Should probably get evaluated," he said, and he started to walk.

"Come find me later, Yun. I can't wait to tell you how it goes!"

With a parting look Yun's way, Han went about locating the doctor.

Rhindeer

Yun forced a smile Han's way and gave a miserable little wave. She was...really not looking forward to chamberpot duty.

But it was worth it.

Just next door, in the neighboring hut Kuan had pointed out, an elderly woman was currently kneeling on a bamboo mat next to a young Warrior a little older than Yun. The girl, Xuna, had her arm out for inspection as the woman examined her swollen wrist, wincing and sucking in her breath where the woman touched. The healer didn't notice Han, for her back was to him, but Xuna caught the movement and looked up in surprise, which drew the healer's attention, too.

She looked over her shoulder, eyes narrowing. "And who are you?"

DaGlobster

"Neighboring" hut is what Han repeated to himself as he started in that direction, giving Yun a parting glance as he set off. It was a short walk, and he was able to find it easily, catching the smell of familiar herbs as he approached the door.

It was a short walk, barely even past ten seconds, but it felt a lot longer to Han, who was now fully alone, no Yun to introduce him, no woods to run away into.

He was in it now.

He stepped through the door, eyes locking onto the shapes of the healer and her patient. He knew better than to interrupt a healer when they were working.

Which is why he gave such a start when the healer spoke. It was just as he started to look around and marvel at the healer's room, eyes scanning over the collection of herbs and tools (Actual tools!), and his head snapped back to her upon hearing her voice.

"Oh! Er... I'm Han," he said, smiling a bit. He gave the young warrior a short nod to acknowledge her as well.

"I'm new."

He quickly corrected himself.

"New to the city, and this whole um, thing, and I'm a healer. Kuan sent me to get evaluated."

Tags: