Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dark Streets, Dark Thoughts

Started by Alegretto, April 16, 2014, 10:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

Phintil wasn't exactly an expert when it came to reading people, especially humans, but even he could tell that Enedith wasn't being entirely honest with him about his feelings, or even with himself. Ah well, none of his business.

The lizardman set himself down on the sleeping mat and laid sideways to accommodate his tail. Time enough in the morning to deal with... wait, it was none of his business. He was pretty sure that Enedith wouldn't appreciate meddling, and besides, it wouldn't matter much after the young man left home.

Phintil once again experienced a pang of guilt about breaking up this makeshift family, but he put it firmly out of his mind, and it wasn't long before he drifted off to sleep.

Anadwen

Enedith and Ori, too, soon fell asleep. But although she slept like Snow White all through the night - easy to fall asleep, easy to wake up - his case was different. He hardly managed to put his night clothes on before he dozed off, and in the morning, he didn't want to open his eyes for the love of all the gods.

It was Ori's tugging that finally woke him up. And he was forced to look up into her face, appearing hazy and blurry to his confused brain, to see her hands waving in front of his eyes.
"Ene, wake up! You gotta bring breakfast to mister over there!" she remarked, and kept trying to get him up on his feet.

What bright light... Oh, dammit. This was awful!
His head was pounding, and his body felt like lead. Did he really have to down that whole bottle? Wait, did he even down all of it?

With a groan, he raised himself to his elbows, and kept staring at her blankly. "Mister?" he mumbled.
"Yes. Mister Phintil. He's in your room!" she reminded him, waving her hand at the tray with food. Hurry up, you were supposed to do it already! We'll have to sweep up again..." she sighed. Enedith's eyes widened. Sweeping? No way!

Scrambling to his feet, he grabbed the tray with his healthy hand, and bolted through the narrow corridor to deliver it to Phintil in his room as fast as possible, only by some kind of miracle not entirely covering all of the floor in salad, eggs, and pieces of fish. Who knows what kind of miracle that was, but it was definitely effective - when he finally arrived to the doorway, somewhat pale and more scruffy than you'd ever expect a person to be, even in the morning, the breakfast was still whole. He laid the tray down, immediately after bringing his hand to his hair to rake through it and attempt to tame it, although it kept escaping and weaving around his fingers.

Alegretto

Phintil, an early riser by habit, was just starting to get ready to leave the room and find out what was going on when Enedith showed up at his door with food. "Oh, excellent, I was wondering whether or not I should leave for food. Thanks for bringing it."

The lizardman walked out to the young man and picked up the tray. "So how's the hangover," he asked Enedith with a slight chuckle. It looked like the young man was holding his head, as if he had quite the headache.

Anadwen

"Man..." Enedith groaned, pressing his fingers onto his temples and closing his eyes. "I didn't expect that wine to be so strong..."

Leaning onto the doorway, he allowed himself to lift his eyelids, and watch Phintil through that narrow gap. "Sorry that we only got leftovers again. We... Rarely have anything but leftovers." he sighed.

Alegretto

Phintil looked up from the tray, he was already eating the food, and shook his head. "Trust me when I tell you that your leftovers are way better than what I usually eat." He paused for a moment, thinking. "Huh, I guess I'm not selling the mercenary life very well, am I."

He chuckled in his peculiar way for a bit and continued to eat. "So Enedith, I haven't really told you about what's going on with the company yet. Unfortunately there's not very many of us, but my plan is to have each member work independently to recruit, and soon we'll all meet up and compare results. Hopefully by the time we group up there will be many of us."

He paused his speech for a second to down the last of the food on his tray, and then spoke again. "And on that note, do you know anyone who might be interested in joining a mercenary company?"

Anadwen

"Leftovers is good... Better than scraps!" Enedith laughed nervously, scratching his head. "And stolen food, too. At least you know that for leftovers, you won't get chased by the guards!" The times when that was a daily routine were still fresh in his memory. And not pleasant at the slightest, considering that a few such dinners almost cost him his head!

At Phintil's inquiry, he just shook his head. "I don't really... Know that many people." he shrugged. "It'd be better to ask Master about that..." A sigh escaped him as he dug into his hair with the pale fingers of his left hand.

Alegretto

Phintil listened as Enedith talked and watched as he kept messing with his hair. The lizardman thought idly about how humans always seemed so preoccupied with hair. Such a weird thing, it was...

But now was not the time for such pondering. "Maybe I will ask him, at that. Is he downstairs? Maybe we should start heading down ourselves," Phintil stood up holding the tray. "It doesn't do us any good to dally."

Anadwen

"Yeah, he's downstairs." with a nod and a groan, Enedith raised himself up to his feet, and picking up the tray he led Phintil down the narrow corridor and stairs, creaking under his feet. At least he thought he was downstairs.

Ori was already awake and sweeping the floor in the shadowy, dark room downstairs - but there was no one else there. Enedith swore internally. "Ori, where's Master?" he asked. The ginger girl raised her head from the broom, and shrugged. "He just said he went out." she responded.
With a sigh, Enedith leaned onto the closest thing - a wall. "We gotta wait, then. He should be back soon."

"It's not safe to leave you two alone for a long time." a voice sounded from behind him, from the open door. Enedith gasped, immediately springing up at a speed that almost made him fall over. And who was in the door?

"For gods' sake!" he burst out, staring at the snickering figure in the doorway.

Alegretto

Phintil followed Enedith down the stairs. When he saw Ori, he gave her a quick smile and nod in greeting, though he didn't speak since he'd be interrupting one of them. He was a bit disappointed when he heard that the Master was gone, but he didn't mind waiting that much. "It's fine Enedith, I'm in no hurry." He was about to say more when he was cut off by a voice from the doorway.

He followed Enedith to the passageway, curious about who was making the boy react like that.

Anadwen

The snicker belonged to no other than their beloved master. His lazily narrowed eyes connected with Enedith's and Ori's confused glances, and he laughed shortly. "For gods' sake, you two should have been swiping the courtyard, ain't I right?"

With a faked sigh, and leaving his two 'children' blushing from shame, he moved over to the other side of the room to take some of the food Ori left there.

Alegretto

Hearing the conversation, Phintil looked up to witness Enedith's Master chastising him and Ori. He couldn't tell how serious the man was, and he wasn't sure how the pair took the admonishment.

When the man came and sat nearby, Phintil spoke, "I know this might be forward, but I have a question. I'm still recruiting for my mercenary company, and Enedith said you might have an idea of some other people I might be able to ask about joining up. Do you know anyone who might fit the bill?"

Anadwen

"If I know someone." he grinned, stuffing his mouth with the food. He didn't seem to mind the unusual combination that it consisted from - attained resistance to Ori's cooking, maybe? "I know a couple of folks you can ask, but I can't guarantee they'll accept. Or even talk to you. Or that they'll even be alive when you ask."

He leaned against the wall, chewed his bite for a while, and only then resumed talking. "There's this Aida... No, Aidu guy I met a few times. He ain't as much of a mercenary as he's a killer for hire, and I don't think he'd wanna join, cause he's way too much into money, s***s and booze, but he's got skills. If you ever need any sorta... Service from a shop, an acquaintance of mine that goes under the name of Iaranase lives all the way east in Thanatos, in the port. Got a little shop in the streets there. A pretty clever fellow for as far as my knowledge goes. And once there was this guy that sorta looked like my Ene over there. Didn't tell me his name, but he was all white, and his left arm was all metal. But I didn't get the feel he'd want to join any company from him. One of 'em solitary fellows, ya know." he explained once the two were gone far enough with their broomsticks.

As usual, Ori was the one sweeping, and Enedith was, for the most part, frowning at something in the distance and leaning against the wall, doing nothing.

Alegretto

Phintil listened to the options, however none of them really appealed to him. "I'm not really looking for a straight-up killer, Thanatos seems pretty far, and that other fellow you mentioned doesn't sound like the type, like you said." He sighed. "Well thanks for the help."

He pushed his tray away from him and stood up. "I'm gonna go talk to Enedith for a bit." And so saying, the lizardman walked over to where the young man was standing. "So is there anything you need to take care of? I want to arrange a meet-up soon with all the people I've recruited so far, and I want it to be soon. If you have something that needs doing around here, you might want to get on it."