Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sparks in the Darks [Hellvion Ball] (private)

Started by visualspice, August 22, 2014, 02:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

It had been a while since he had been allowed to dawn such attire, and even as such, it was still a representation of the church- or more pointedly, the order of St. Agratha. But the white and blue colors fit him wonderfully, bringing out the brilliant shade of his eyes. And it had been ages since his hair had been tended to in such a way. And he couldn't lie- he loved the feeling of his freshly combed locks. They felt like curls of silk. And he felt so clean.

And he adored his cologne. It had been ages since he could wear any. And he might have put just an ounce spray too much when he put it on. Even still, the event was one of grandeur, and to show his face here helped provide not only a good face for the church, but his order as well-

And his parents, who could not attend, wished him well. But as the night went on, Kentamin felt himself begin to sweat beneath his clothes. His collar was too tight, his boots, too hot, and he had to step away from the ballroom to get some fresh air. Thankful for the crisp, evening air on the veranda, he paused beside the stone ledge that looked over the gardens, and peered over at a few flowering, vining plants that were crawling up the side. They were small, delicate white flowers, and when a sudden gust of wind swept through, it carried a few of the delicate flowers away, up and up into the air until they all but disappeared into the oncoming twinkling of stars. It was then his eyes caught sight of a woman in blue. She had delicate blonde hair, and fair skin-
and from where he was leaning, she looked absolutely stunning and he had no idea he was staring.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Constance Carwick, the 'lady in blue' in question, had not yet noticed Kentamin or his gaze. Constance was busy feeling anxious. Wondering if Dwight would come back. Wondering what she would tell him, how she might be able to persuade him to leave. She was not, very intentionally, thinking about what she still had to do tonight.

But someone else had noticed Kentamin and his gaze.

The plump ( and 'plump' was quite the generous word for her) old woman clucked delightedly to herself. Nothing like young love! Well, she thought, looking twice at the young man in question. Maybe not love, not for a priest! But surely even a priest couldn't be faulted for the affections of his youth! There was no real harm in that. So she elbowed the lady next to her, of similar age but opposite appearance: she was tallish and thin and frail as a rail. A moments of whispering transpired between them before, quite pleased with themselves, they bobbed over to poor, unsuspecting Kentamin.

"All alone tonight, young lord?" the plump lady asked, barely able to contain her self-satisfied smile.

"How sad!" the thin woman agreed, "to be a handsome young man like yourself without even a partner for a dance!"

"Very sad!" the plump lady agreed. They were narrowing in on him now. Encircling him. There'd be no escape for poor Kentamin Dhelsbar! "Oh but look!" the plump lady exclaimed as if she were only just now noticing, "there is poor Lady Bryony! Also all alone, too!"

"Oh, now that's sad," thin lady said with a shake of her bird-like head, "with all the tragedy that's befallen her family, too. What a sad, sad thing for her to be left all alone. Who knows what glum thoughts she must be left with."

"Oh, I know!" said plump woman in a voice painfully staged. If they had any interest in Kentamin talking, they certainly didn't show it! "You should make her acquaintance! Surely a handsome young priest like yourself, and from a good family, surely that's just the company poor young Bryony needs!"

"Oh, what I a good idea!" thin lady agreed quickly. "I'll go get here!"

And just like that, she was off. In case Kentamin had any ideas of taking off himself, plump lady gripped vice-like onto his arm and busily told him over and over just how handsome he was! And it wasn't a moment before, like a rare flower or a prize mare or something else meant to be silent and looked over, Constance Carwick was presented to Kentamin, looking a bit startled herself at the forceful manner she'd been brought there.

And who was she being presented to! Constance's green eyes - which, with the dress and in the lighting, might pass for her cousin's blue - widened just a little when she saw Kentamin. A strange combination of anger and amusement coursed through her. Of course, they should meet like this! But Constance wasn't going to give herself away in front of the old meddling women. And maybe the templar wouldn't recognize the clean, made-up and finely-dressed young lady before him as the dirty rebel in the cave. It seemed like a stretch, but he'd proven pretty stupid so far.

So when the thin lady introduced her as Lady Bryony, Constance bobbed a curtsy and, casting her eyes shyly to the ground, said a dutiful, "M'lord."

visualspice

Despite his attempts to escape their social entrapment, and to keep down his blush,  Kentamin soon found himself before the lady, and though he was staring at her before, now he was down right stunned. She was even more beautiful close up, but even in his stupor, his mind still recognized the name.
"Byrony?" And his mind immediately went to the other....
Constance. And a spark of recognition, and confusion, sparked within his gaze. Byrony?  Had she always looked so much like her cousin? Realizing he was staring, he returned her curtsy with a bow.

"Lady Byrony. I don't think we've ever had the pleasure... I am Lord Kentamin Dhelsbar, templar and knight of the church."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Constance saw the recognition in Kentamin’s eyes, but she couldn’t tell if he actually recognized her. Anyway, if he was going to keep pretending she was her cousin, she certainly wasn’t going to stop pretending!

So instead she looked down and corrected bashfully, “It’s - ah - Bryony, actually. Like the flower. And we probably haven’t met before. I’m, well,” she forced a blush, “not usually invited to such grand parties. But now… well, someone from the family had to come.”

Even as she said them, sweetly and innocently, if sadly, Olive had to keep back a wave of nausea. They were all dead.

She glanced shyly up at him again - was Bryony still shy? she wondered… it had been so many years since she’d seen her cousin - and her eyes widened in awe. “A templar?” she repeated, clearly impressed. Or, sounding impressed, anyway. In reality, the very word made acid bubble in her stomach. “That must be a… a very important and dangerous path to follow. Especially now. You must be very brave, m’lord.”

The more flattered Kentamin was, she was sure, the less critical of an eye he’d cast on her. And the safer she’d be. All the same, it was hard to say the words without laughing. Or scowling.

visualspice

The young templar remain rigid, his posture astute, as he continued to study the lady before him. He couldn't brush off what he recognized, but it was best not to be foolish and jump to any conclusions. So with a brisk nod, he affirmed, "Yes, it is not without it's trials, I assure you. But I dedicated my life to Angsar's will, and to the land he has fought for. And in his honor, so shall I."

kleineklementine

"Oh, aren't you modest!"

The rotund old woman was only too happy to cut the silence building between the two young people. After all, it was a ball! Attractive young people shouldn't be standing around alone in silence! Of course, the young man was a priest, but, well... it was a ball, after all!

"She's right," the skinny old lady chipped in, smiling encouragingly at the two, "you should take some credit for yourself, my lord! Not every man can rise to such a high, exalted rank."

Olive had to surprise a snort of laughter. High and exalted, indeed! But instead she did her best to smile shyly at Kentamin and the two older women. She was about to excuse herself to go find Rodderick or Dwight or anyone else, but just then music wafted out into the garden from the quartet inside.

"Oh, there we go!" the first, portly woman said delightedly, clapping her hands together. "You young people must, just must!, give us a dance!"

visualspice

Kentamin had all but put the women's comments on hold, or rather ignore, as those blue eyes of his continued to study the lady before him. It just gnawed at him the resemblance, but this couldn't be Constance Carwick...

Could it?

But when the music started and the women all cooed like a flock of gulls being fed bread, he only bowed deeply to the woman before him then offered her out his hand.
"If the lady wouldn't mind a dance, neither would I."

kleineklementine

"Oh, I-" Olive looked at her feet, blushing.

She did not want to dance with Kentamin. It was, in fact, perhaps the last thing she wanted to do. It would be a lie to say that she felt as acidicly towards him as she had before their containment in the cave. There were even some lingering feelings of guilt in how that ended. And she'd gone out of her way a little to not encounter him since then. She had seen him, once, during an attack. But she just fled afterwards with the others. No special attempts to kill the Templar.

But that didn't mean she wanted to get any closer to him! Especially since she still wasn't sure he bought that she was Bryony.

She stalled in hopes that someone would appear, but when it was clear no one was, she protested, "But... we're not in the ball room. Are you sure it would be proper?"

"Oh, darling!" the fat woman said, gafawing. "It's a ball! You can't worry your head with things like that! You're young... enjoy it!"

The skinny woman smiled encouragingly, nodding in agreement with her meddling friend.

visualspice

At such a reaction, Kentamin visibly blushed. But he tried not to let it ruffle his feathers.
"The invitation, to dance, my lady," he went on. "Was for us to dance in the ball room."
He wasn't so romantic as to invite the dance out here!

kleineklementine

"Oh, well I-"

But before Olive could come up with a proper excuse, the fat woman gave her a 'friendly' push towards Kentamin.

"Well," she smiled, forcing another blush, "alright then."

visualspice

The 'push' more or less forced the templar to take her hand, and with a well trained smile, Kentamin bowed his head.
"As you wish."

The walk to the ball room, although somewhat of a brief affair, was quiet- but heavy in the obvious tension between the pair, and the young man felt the skin around his collar grow wet. But the second they reached the ballroom door, and the music graced them with a crescendo, he bowed to the young lady and gestured to the dance floor.

"Shall we?"

kleineklementine

Olive could not have felt much more uncomfortable as she took Kentamin's hand. The longer they spent together - and the closer they were! - the more likely that the Templar would recognize her. If he hadn't already. And what would happen when, or if, he did? Olive honestly didn't know whether or not he would reveal her, and if so, how he would reveal her. Maybe he was taking her to the dance floor now for that very purpose... to do it as publicly as possible? Then it'd be off with her head and what a show they would make of it.

At least she no longer had to worry about the pain it would cause her family. They were safe from that.

She tried to keep this off her face as he led her onto the ballroom floor. She just tried to look shy and a bit embarrassed (easy!), but pleased to be asked to dance (harder).

Once they were on the ballroom floor, Olive gave her best curtsy and hoped fervently that she still knew how to dance!

visualspice

If there was a time to accuse her, or question her there of, now was not the time. He, though a templar, was still a gentleman, and was not the sort to make a scene in social situations. So it was perhaps etiquette that saved her, as he simply took her hand and began to dance.

Though the dancing seemed rigid at first, for both he and her, eventually, the music won over his instincts and he was gracefully moving her across the floor. And due to the fact it was evident how clumsy the dance had begun, he could not help but note, "It seems we are a bit rusty."
Though it was hard to tell if his statement were in jest.

kleineklementine

"You'll have to forgive me, m'lord," Olive apologized in response to Kentamin's quip.

The truth was she was rather struggling to keep up with the dancing. Partially because it had been years and years since Olive had properly danced - after all, Marked Mages don't often get invited to balls! - but mostly because the degree to which she did not want to be this close to the Templar. Her skin was crawling and it was hard not to repulse away from him.

"We've been in morning," she said, keeping her eyes downcast, "so I haven't had much chance to practice, since my brothers..."

Her voice caught, stopped by emotion. That, at least, was genuine.

visualspice

It didn't seem he needed to pry. The more she talked, the more he gauged, but still- he could not wholly accept this might be Constance. So instead, he simply replied,
"We have lost a lot of good men to this war. I can only pray the fighting will end soon so that no more lives may be lost."

kleineklementine

Olive sensed a possible 'out' as the conversation turned grim. It would certainly be unseemly to keep dancing with an upset lady. And it would be equally unseemly for a man she did not know to comfort her. She would be turned over, surely, to the ladies of the ball to tend to.

So Olive let the tears she'd suppressed at the thought of Avery and Cass to well up in her eyes, threatening to spill down her cheeks.

"Oh, I'm very sorry," she apologized quickly, her voice thick with emotion, and she raised one gloved hand to wipe away the wetness from her eyes, "I'm not very good company, I'm afraid."

visualspice

"My lady," he said, almost breathless, but his concern genuine, though a tad forced. "If you are unwell to dance, perhaps I shall escort you off the dance floor, however..." And here, at this angle, at just the way the lighting hit-
He felt he knew for certain now more than ever-
This was Constance Carwick.

"Stay with me." And he gave her hands a squeeze. "It is said, only dancing can cure a wounded heart. Those who have passed before you would desire you never to shed a tear. Though you are a lady and can not fight for your country, keep those tears within and let them know this is how you choose to live. After all, a lady's place is on the dance floor, not in this wicked war."
And towards the end of such phrasing, his voice seemed a bit rough, and he was looking at her with a bit more sharpness in his eyes.

This had to be Constance. It just had to! What was she doing here!?
He had to figure this out...
Angsar, help him!

kleineklementine

Angsar take his soul!

Leave it to Kentamin Dhelsbar to not have the decency to let a poor, crying girl escape a dance. And what he said! It took all of Olive's self control not to pull away and belt him for the "a lady's place is on the dance floor." She had to mask her anger with a muffled sob. She sniffed loudly, wiping away tears again.

The tears, though, were genuine. And inside, Olive was a tumult of confused emotion. Disbelief and ache learning the fate of her family. Anger at herself - and Dwight! - after their brief encounter. Disgust with Kentamin. And a thick guilt at using her genuine emotion to work an angle.

But she'd just have to swallow that. She wasn't here, after all, for a reunion.

Surely that comment had been directed at her, though. Not at Bryony, but at Constance. If he was certain, or certain enough, it wouldn't do now to escape. She'd have to keep a leash on him until... Well, she could knock him out or something. Maybe she could use his own discomfort, though, to keep him as muddled as she was.

"You're right, of course, m'lord," she agreed with a brave nod. "I'll stay with you." And after she said that, Olive closed the space between them, resting her body against Kentamin's, her head buried in his chest as she continued to move with the music. She knew that a woman' occupying his space like this would unsettle him - much less a woman he, ahem, knew, if he knew it was her - but how could he refuse innocent comfort to an upset young lady?

visualspice

She couldn't have guessed the discomfort that coursed through him as she leaned into him, her tears staining his garb. And he did everything in his power to keep his lips from curling back, because- despite all that occurred, he hadn't forgotten the intimacy they shared in that cave.

But that, he tried to tell himself, was best left to rot with the dead. So, naturally, he stiffened, a lot of gazes going there way, which made him frown.
But he thought back to what she just said, and again he prickled and whispered to her, as he held her, close.
"You didn't do that when you left me in the cave."
And the words came out in the softest of growls.

kleineklementine

A dizzy feeling rushed through Olive's head. Her anger and disgust collapsed into something different. Just for a moment.

So. That was that.

And what was she really feeling? Heavy in her stomach. Guilt? Regret? Suddenly, despite the setting - all the people around them, the glamour and glitter of Melora's ball, and the very real danger present - for a moment Olive felt like they were back in that cave. She felt her guard drop a little, somehow. She didn't pull away from him. If anything, her weight might have shifted just slightly more onto him. Now that she wasn't Bryony anymore, she suddenly was Constance in his arms.

"I tried to," she answered, honestly, under her breath, her voice still a little thick with emotion. She sounded sad, and tired. "I tried to bring you with us." Now she finally raised her eyes to his, and they were achingly earnest. She wasn't acting. "You know I didn't want to leave you there."