Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Calling Down the Moon [M]

Started by Rhindeer, September 09, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Misae slumped against Ky, and it was very obvious he was the only thing keeping her up at this point. Her legs were shaking badly, and her hands and face felt clammy and cold.

She...did not handle gore and death well. She'd never had the stomach for it, or the heart.

"Sorry," she got out, voice faint. "I...I just...that poor man..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Why do they do this?"

He started to comfort her with his hands, holding her a bit closer to him.

"Why do they throw away lives like this?"

Rhindeer

"Because they don't care about those lives," Misae answered quietly, and sucked in another deep breath, trying to steady herself.

"'They're just slaves'," she said under her breath, repeating her master's words. "That's why. Our lives--the lives of slaves--don't matter to them."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Ky had no words for this, so he just remained silent.

It looked like the next fight was starting a man with a trident against another with two swords, and Ky shook Misae's shoulders. "Misae, describe your husband to me."

The announcer began to introduce the two fighters, so she'd have some more time to recover if she needed it.

Rhindeer

"Curly black hair," Misae said, and closed her eyes again to focus on the image of her husband, instead of the violence of the arena. Her words came out in a breathless rush, as she tried to calm herself. "Really tall, black skin, athletic build. He has tattoos on his back--two snakes, one red and one black, and they spread onto his arms."

DaGlobster

Ky observed the two men, before frowning.

"No, neither of these two either."

He tightened his hold on her, releasing a sigh. She was close enough to him that he could touch her shoulders with his lower arms.

Rhindeer

The emotions that flooded Misae were a strange mix. She felt relieved not to see him, because she knew if she saw him today, she might also see him die. But as more matches came and went without a sign of him, worry built up within her.

Because his absence could also tell a story.

He might not be here because he was dead.

Or he just might not be here because...he wasn't a gladiator. Or he wasn't scheduled for the arena today.

Her head swam with the possibilities, and she leaned her cheek against Ky's chest, disheartened. "It's going to be impossible to find him."

DaGlobster

"It was a long shot, but at least we gave it a try."

He nestled her head in his hands, in an attempt to give her some comfort. It was an earnest embrace, with all the pain of someone who had lost their loved one as well.

Rhindeer

"True enough," Misae agreed, though it still hurt. She could have sworn her astromancy had pointed to him being alive, but astromancy was also a form of divination, and divination could be tricky and inaccurate. Sometimes, it didn't give visions of the present. Sometimes, it was the future, or the past. The hard part was figuring out which it was.

She let out a quiet sigh as the final match came to an end, which she could tell by the shouts and jeers. "We should leave now."

DaGlobster

"Yes, we should leave."

He started to walk out of the arena before the winner of the last fight was even announced, intent on getting a head start on the crowds.

"Where do we go from here, Misae? Have you anywhere to stay?"

Rhindeer

"Nowhere," Misae said, walking with him. It was good they were leaving now, before the Colosseum really emptied out and created a bottle neck. She didn't want to get caught in that; she already felt claustrophobic.

"That is, I have nowhere to stay. I've been sleeping in alleys, mainly. Never for long. And I always keep moving. That's the most important thing."

Wiping sweat from her brow, both from the heat and from stress, she continued, "More than likely, this will be my life, a life on the run. But I've made peace with that. Anything is better than what it was before."

DaGlobster

Ky was disheartened to hear her outlook, and he frowned under his coverings. He wanted to help her, he really did. To spirit her away from all this. He had sympathy for the poor girl, what else could he do?

"You'll be found, or worse, eventually. Especially if you sleep in alleys. Come with me, let me take you out of this country, where you'll at least have a hope for a new life."

Rhindeer

"What? Out of the country?" Misae repeated, blinking wide eyes. "But...what if...?"

She bit her lip. She wanted to say what if he was still here, and she just hadn't looked in the right places yet, but...how long would she need to look? How long before she gave up? What if she never found any evidence at all? Or he'd moved on? And in the meantime she was here, risking capture again.

If she was caught, she didn't know what would happen. Nothing good, certainly. She might be killed. Or she might be sold again, to someone worse.

Even put in the Colosseum.

She held herself, rubbing her arms. "The desert is so big, though..."

DaGlobster

"Not if you know your way, Misae."

He glanced around as they passed the guards at the entrance of the Colosseum, and Ky put his eyes forwards again.

"The desert's also smaller with a horse, or with a carriage. The only problem is money..."

He stopped once they were out, leaning against a wall and crossing his arms. He seemed to think for a few moments, before he looked to her.

"Tell me, do you still remember the inside of your master's estate?"

Rhindeer

Misae blinked at that question. "Of course I do. It hasn't been long, and I don't think I could ever--"

She froze, suddenly realizing where he was going with this. "You aren't thinking...?"

DaGlobster

"I'm thinking..." He started, pushing off from the wall.

"That your master's got a lot of coin he doesn't deserve."

Rhindeer

Misae went quiet as she thought that over, and the implications. "I agree with that," she said, folding her arms. "But it would be dangerous. I know the ins and outs of his home, but if he catches me..."

She shook her head. "I don't think I'd walk away from that."

DaGlobster

"I'll be there with you, Misae. If we run into anyone, you know full well I can handle them."

Smiling, he knelt down a little (something necessary if he wanted to see eye to eye with her), and laid his hand son her shoulders. "You're brave. You can do this. Besides, if we run into him there, I'll break his nose for you. Sound good?"

Rhindeer

"Feel free to break more than that," Misae said, and then gave a light, nervous laugh.

"We'll need to have a plan, first," she said, looking up into his face. "I know you can more than likely handle what's inside his home, but when the guard is called...there will be far more than even you can handle. If we're going to do this, we're going to need a clear escape route. I was lucky not to be caught when I escaped, and it was only because I had his trust. But two people, going in and then out? After my big escape, when he's likely more wary than ever?"

She shook her head. "We can't just jump into this."

DaGlobster

"You're right. We need parchment, and a quill. And ink..." Ky straightened back up, and felt at the humble amount of coins in his pouch. It'd do, if they were going to plan this out. "We need to find a cartographer's store. Know any nearby?"