Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winter And The Devils Mead (open to all)

Started by Locke, November 06, 2014, 02:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locke

Locke groaned as he pulled open the door of the tavern against the wind. The door slams and Locke walks over to the bar and takes a seat.

"What'll ya have dear?" The barmaid says.

"I, uh, I'll have... cider please."

The barmaid nods and pours a cider, then sets it in from of Locke.

"You ok dearlin'?". The barmaid looked genuinely concerned.

"I'm fine miss. Thank you.".

Just then, the door to the tavern slammed open.

Chronicler

((Open for me to supply the cause of the slamming?))

Chronicler

A young man swept into the room, a teenager really. His blonde hair hung in loose but perfect curls, and he wore far too little clothing for the freezing weather. Snow fell from his bare feet and his opened leather vest.

He smiled at those who turned to stare at him.

"Whiskey, just bring me a bottle of your best. And I'll have a round for everyone, whatever they want." He untied a leather pouch from his belt and tossed it to the barmaid. Coins clattered when she caught it.

Locke

The barmaid peeks into the purse and, wide eyed, begins to go around and take orders. Handing you a bottle of "Downed Orc Whiskey" on her way.

"You from around here kid?" Locke says, lowering the hood from his head, revealing the long, tied back light blue hair.

Chronicler

Nicolai laughed. Something about that question struck him as funny. He threw himself into the chair across from Locke.

"You might say I'm a rather long way from home," he said. "But I travel. You may call me Nicolai."

He paused to examine his fingers. He blew across his nails and they abruptly turned black.

Locke

"Well then Nicolai, where does someone, such as yourself, hail from?" Locke was staring at Nicolai's fingers trying to figure out the mystical powers.

The barmaid set another cider in from of Locke, who moved his hand to the handle.

Locke painfully aware that he couldn't arm himself fast enough, should this kid attack him.

Chronicler

The barmaid set a bottle of whiskey on the table, and Nicolai popped the cork with one hand, taking a long drink.

"That would be telling," he said with a smirk. "Let it suffice to say I'm not like anyone you've met. I'd bet your life on it."

Locke

"That may be the case, however I have seen my fare share of the unknown... and the unwanted." Locke took a long, almost antagonizing, sip of his cider as he started at Nicolai. His heart was beating fast and hard. He knew he had to get out of here before this... thing.. killed him.

"I believe I must be off. I have something that, simply cannot wait any longer." Locke stood up, nods,  and begins to head for the back room.

Chronicler

Nicolai didn't move as Locke walked away. He took another sip of whiskey and looked at the bottle, swirling the amber liquid around inside it.

"I have no intention of killing you, so your concern really is misplaced," he said casually. "In fact I'd rather like to help you."

Setting the bottle on the table he grabbed the back of his chair, and in a display of acrobatics and balance bordering on the heroic, lifted himself into a handstand on the top of the chair before swinging down to his feet and moving to follow the blacksmith.

"It might help you to know I have no affiliation to the chap who ate your mother." He made a distasteful face. "Uncouth really. And all that human sacrifice nonsense. All she really had to do to get what she wanted was to call my name. Well, one of my names. You know, Nicolai, The Enlightener, Prince of Darkness, Father of Lies, Old Nick. I always rather liked that one, no one calls me that anymore." He chuckled. "Honestly, it's not the name that counts, it's the intention. It just has to be me you want. The idea of me even."

Locke

Locke stopped and his eye widened. A moment later her kept walking and calmly said "I would kindly ask you to keep your voice down when referring to things I am not sure you have the privilege to speak about."

Locke and Nicolai reach the back room, where there is a demon tied up and gagged.
"I don't know who you are, nor do I care." He said to the demon. " All I want to know, is if you have any information on devils who devour the humans that summon them. Should you have no information I find worthy of knowing, you will be eliminated in the most horrible fashion."

Locke turned to Nicolai and whispers, "I recognize the name Father of Lies. If you are truly him, why would I trust you?"

Chronicler

"Ah. Excellent point," Nicolai said, raising one finger for emphasis. "Well, that particular name is something of a misnomer. Maybe you've heard the expression, why would the devil lie when the truth is so much more fun."

He moved to examine the demon's bonds, touching the iron lock which held him. There was a quiet hiss and the fallen angel quickly withdrew, blowing on his fingers and rubbing them together. "Now this. This is nicely done. Blessed shackles, holy magic. Did you make these yourself?"

He didn't wait a moment for a response. "Don't answer that. Of course not, you aren't a priest. Silly question. You're just a hunter, someone else enchants your tools."

He stepped back to get a different perspective on the trapped demon and his inquisitor. "Your negotiation tactics are all wrong though. Where's his motivation? You were going to kill him whether he gives you what you want or not, so why should he put himself out?"

Locke

"I did not say I would kill him if he told me what I want to know. I simply said that if it held no meaning to me, then I wouldn't allow him to leave here." Locke leaned down to the shackles, smelling the burned flesh of Nicolai. " I also don't need him to talk at all... Not with the Perverter of Truths standing next to me. What can you tell me of this one?"

Locke unsheathed his left Saber claw, and held it a few inches from his face and closed his eyes. After a moment it began to glow a dim white.

Chronicler

"What you said," Nicolai said, considering, "In no way alters the fact that there is no possible outcome of this encounter which ends with him still alive, and we all know it."

He watched the glowing blade indifferently for a moment before moving to lean over the back of the chair, to rest his head on the demon's shoulder.

"I can tell you anything, but again, your negotiation tactics are sorely lacking. What's in it for me? Why would I just tell you, when there's such fun to be had watching you fight for it?"

Locke

Locke puts the claw back and looks at Nicolai... "It would be fun..." Locke had an almost, evil look on his face when he said it. "... But think of the fun you could have watching me trudge through hell!"

Joshua

Joshua entered the main room of the tavern, rubbing his hands together to warm them.

Next time, I pick a warmer climate.  The young man promised himself.

As he walked into the room, a flustered-looking barmaid caught his eye.  As she moved in his direction, he gave her his most charming smile and pulled out a few coins.

"Greetings, love.  Mind bringing something warm?  Cider, whiskey, whatever's on hand."

"S'on the house, dear.  A young looking-gent bought a round for all."

"Even better!  Who's the generous soul with all that coin?"

The barmaid glanced around.  "Went in the back just a moment ago.  Beg your pardons, I've got drinks to fetch."

"Of course."  With a farewell wink, he walked over to a table to wait for his drink.  Joshua was interested in meeting the fellow who had bought them all a round.  He wondered if the man was a gamer, and if so, if Joshua could win a bit more coin from him.

As soon as he was seated, the ring on his finger flared to life.  Joshua quickly tucked the ring inside his jacket, to hide the glow.  He stared at it, apprehension growing in him.

"What is it, ring?"  He asked softly.  He didn't receive a reply, of course.

Joshua leaned back and maintained a calm appearance, but remained wary as his eyes scanned the room.  He knew what the light from his ring meant.  Magic was in the air.

Chronicler

"Good point," Nicolai said. He looked down at the demon. "He makes a good point, doesn't he? Well. Here's my price. Your word I can accompany you anywhere you go, any time I wish. Fair?"

He tilted his head as though listening to something distant. He was being talked about. The barmaid and someone who had just entered the tavern. Interesting.

Locke

"As long as you don't inhibit my journey, your more then welcome to accompany me." Locke proceeded to make a small bow gesture to Nicolai.

Chronicler

((Any thoughts on the nature of said demon or am I making shit up?))

Chronicler

Nicolai grinned wickedly. "The demon you seek is named Jorgamond," he said. "Now I suppose you'll let this one go?" He asked sarcastically. "That's all he knows. Other than the fact that Jorgamond is... how did you put it?" He asked, turning to the demon. "Not someone you want to find."

Locke

"Jorgamond. That's the demon I want eh? OK, You can go." Locke turns his back for a moment, then turns around again. He wields a saber claw and dashes forward to the demon. The demon, without a chance to scream, falls into four pieces. Locke then heads to the tavern again. "Coming friend?" Lock says to Nicolai.