Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Recycling Characters

Started by Ethereal-Star, November 18, 2014, 01:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

So, how many of you recycle your characters? That is, take them from setting to setting, but tweaking them to fit each setting? Or do you just start fresh with new ones? I am debating about doing this myself, on character variations, but not entirely sure yet.

But then again, I like to categorize characters according to setting, and if they span more than a single setting my organizational tendencies regarding this start to whine a little. Decisions, decisions...

visualspice

I think the majority of mine are recycled from my original yahoo rp group I was once apart of/ ran.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Looshi

I do this quite a bit, nothing wrong with it. Sometimes I want to play the character in more than one setting, or if another RP falls out and I have no where else to play the character, I bring it somewhere. I do other forms of character recycling as well, such as taking ideas from older characters and redesigning them for new characters.

R.R. Pebble

Both of the characters I'm bringing with me are "recycled"

One is a character I've written in a couple different universes, but each time I write him in/out of a universe something happens to him that fundamentally changes who he is - which allows me the flexibility to adapt for different world rules - and this last one was a big one! He's not really the same character modded so much as the next installment of the same character as he travels through worlds. I'm curious to see where this character goes (assuming he can get out of the rain....)
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=18136.msg215675#msg215675

The other character I'm bringing with me is closer to what you're asking. He's a port from another universe, modded to fit this universe. But I never really got to write him in that other universe - the group I was writing with broke up before I got the chance. He's been bouncing around in my head for something like 10 years without a universe to live in or other characters to interact with. I haven't done a straight port before either. I'm curious to see how it goes.
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=18135.msg215673#msg215673

Ethereal-Star

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Mainly I started this thread because of my character named Chandra that I am currently using in another group and also wanted to play her here as well. I have figured out all the details for her but I had to really think about how to best fit her in the mold, so to speak. I have a lot of description for that character and am going to post her soon in Thanatos as a Khan, on one of the smaller islands there. This was my very first RP character I created for free-form purposes for a yahoo group that has since disbanded, and like you Pebble, I had no chance at all to play that character. So I am going to RP Chandra here and on the first group I mentioned (not to be confused with the one that broke up).

I really like creating characters as it's very addictive, but sometimes reusing previous characters from other worlds/universes may be preferable in some cases. I don't really know what to suggest for your characters Pebble, but you can put up a WIP profile and continue to work on it as ideas/concepts come to you. But you would need to at least figure out a location and I cannot help with that as only you know the characters best.

I have a binder where I put all my character information in it divided by setting/campaign, to better keep track of it all. If the same char is in more than one setting I put the relevant info for that setting in the section it's supposed to go in. I also have an insane need to have a picture for each character as well. Written physical description isn't enough, it seems. :)

But mainly creating new characters is more popular with me anyways.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

My character "Ilvenath" is a wild mess of recycled character parts.

The race "Danaan" is from the last RP forum I participated and I tweaked some aspects to make them less prominent. Ilvenath's character is a mix from the Danaan druid I played in that forum and a DnD character I created for a one-shot campaign of a friend, the name and profession coming from the DnD-character, the general personality coming from the Danaan druid and the backstory being a mish-mash of both.

Valo

Well, all of my characters are recycled :3 I've been using the same characters for years, always moderating them a bit to fit the new world. Fireflower has been with me for about 10 years, Navire for 9, and they have stayed exactly the same throughout the years. I was 12 when I created them.. o.O'

The others are 2-7 years old, but I've always had the same kind of characters (same personality, same appearance but different history and name and species n stuff), but there has always been something major to moderate. But now I like em all.

So, now my big task is to translate everything in english :-D *jumping for joy*

lordsith

I like to think of my characters as actors that I can hire to do this or that role in any story I am part of.

Winters-Feather

taiyou was modified from a bleach rpg~ (thus the japanese first name) she kept most of her looks, though she got older. her zanpakuto spirit used to be a phoenix, but i thought it more appropiate to change him into a dragon to fit Adela. (her dragon's scales ripple to mimic a phoenix, thu!) her relationship with her brother was relatively the same. (though my cousin who played him isn't active on this site anymore. )

she's my eldest character. i can't remember if i based my other characters on other ones i've used. i mean i'm sure i did. i pulled elemetns here and there, but she's the only more-or-less carbon copy.

edit: i mean, basically, i just keep the general concept the same but you have to adapt elements and personality, even,, to react to the environment. :3

Rhindeer

My character Aki is actually my oldest character EVAR. xD I created him when I was 12 and played him on a wolf RPG. 8D Only back then, he was EVOL and I thought I was being super dark and edgy when I played him and I was super intent on having him be THE BIGGEST BADDY THAT EVER WAS BAD. Then as I grew older, I realized it's actually fun to have a character with weaknesses...and that I preferred playing with shades of gray...and so he gradually stopped being this "SUPAR POWERFUL EVILEST WOLF!" character to a kind of troubled dude with issues. |:

That site is long gone, but I brought him here a few years ago and REVAMPED THE HECK OUTTA HIM. xD Now he's just an asshole wolf shifter. 8D

There's also a few characters here and there that I write in personal stories/novels and transported here, or characters I used in other games that died and I missed them and brought them here, tweaking them for the setting.

I actually played my characters Yun and Kota on an Avatar: The Last Airbender game I ran. 8D I liked them a lot and missed them, so I revamped them heavily for SotE. >_> There's another gal, Jiang, that I also like and might bring here one day, because she was fun. 8D

And Kyran is an old character originally made for a modern fantasy RP that died, so I revamped him for SotE. xD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Ethereal-Star

Rhianne is revamped from a fanfiction-ish Buffy story I wrote some time back-not sure how great it is, but what the hey. I wanted my own vampire slayer character and thought she would make a great RP character too. Plus she got issues. As lots of characters I'm sure do.

Candace was actually gonna be for a future vampire slayer story that was going to take place in the year 2098 of our world, but I never got around to writing it. If I do, then great, but for now she is solely a roleplay character. And of course, going off the idea that there could only be ONE slayer in the Buffy-verse, that was how it was gonna be. With Candace living years and years later after Rhianne's unfortunate demise at the hands of a demon NPC. So, yeah, I did kill off Rhianne, but I resurrected her for SotE. In this setting, vampire slayers have way more backup and lower mortality rates anyway, so she and Candace are both going to be around for quite some time. If not for-EVA! LOL.

Chandra was initially created for a fantasy rpg that went kaput before I even had a chance to test her out. She is in two settings, this one and a private yahoo group rpg. Not sure if I will bring some of my NWN characters here or not, been debating with myself over that.

And sometimes it may be best to recycle old characters because you would know the old character better than any new character anyway, thus easier to get into their head on what they would think, feel, say, do, etc. But also because there may in fact be such a thing as too many characters (oh my gosh, did I actually type that?  :o) But that may end up being the case the more characters that are added to a 'palette' or portfolio.

Sometimes a character is the mixed result of two previous characters, or just aspects of a former one. Many variations can exist.

fancycat

My characters are generally an even mix of recycled and new.  The recycled are ones I love playing as I interact with new people in new places.  I might modify them to fit a certain background or to fit in a story, but I've already figured out most of the things I adore about the character.

New characters tend to revolve around a sudden infatuation I might have.  Often they turn into characters I love and will recycle.  Other times they fade off into obscurity.

Much of the limiting factor is in me, as a player, not being able to be diverse enough to play characters I cannot empathize with or worse, actually despise.  But, having said that, I'm certainly more diverse in the long run than if I didn't try various characters. 

Fancycat

SilmeriaElemred

I tend to do it a lot xD Silmeria, Aluria, Shanodin and some others. But I make new ones too.

Those who are recycled are always tweaked though.Different history, background, powers, personalities... I do change enough to make them something a lot different.

Dreamwolf

Most of my characters are recycled from other RPs Ragnr Fenris is from an RP that closed down about four years before I joined this site Luna is based off my German Shepherd mix as she was as a puppy and is from a D. Grayman RP. The rest of my characters on here are original to this site, though Fang is now on four other sites.