Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beast of the Tundra [open]

Started by Ethereal-Star, November 19, 2014, 07:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath stopped for a moment as the ice mage turned in her steps and threw him a glance. 'Ice mage, huh?', he pondered, suddenly more careful with his words. He had heard that ice mages could summon hailstorms on their position and throw icicles, hard as steel and pointy like spears, at their opponents. He didn't enjoy the thought of being riddled with frozen spikes. She continued her way and he followed stat. "Well.. To be honest, yeah, that surprises me. Y'know, I don't doubt your... Mystic powers aren't spectacular or impressive or whatever. But... Well, as you can see when you take a look around, if there's one thing we don't have shortage of, it's friggin' snow, ice, and nearly everything else that's cold and uncomfortable. Why go here for all in the world? If I were you, I'd go south where it's warm and work for somebody rich, keepin' his food and drinks cool all day", he replied, mentioning the last part more as a rant to himself than to her.

He paused in his talks for a moment, then added: "What sort of settlement is that supposed to be where you can get something you can't in Hyoite? I know the place isn't always stocked, but anybody that's got anything worth to trade usually brings it to our 'lovely capitol' - Or they pass the mountains. Unless..."

A thought dawned on him. If the stories he'd heard were to be believed, then mages traded in dark and sometimes unholy secrets. What if this ice mage was on her way to retrieve some sort of godless artifact or purchase some unorthodox potions and ingredients that no decent merchant would carry on them? He started to come up with all kinds of outrageous ideas and horrorscenarios what sort of wicked purchases she might make once they arrived at their destination.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide sniffed in derision. "Go where it's warm? I think not. I prefer the cold." she stated, while slowing down just a tad in her brisk walk. "As for why I choose here, it's simple really. My magic is stronger here, and I can practice more freely. Lots of ice and snow after all to manipulate..."

Adelaide didn't mention how she was not exactly an expert or master at ice magic, but felt that didn't need to be voiced at the time. Still, she did have some decent skill nonetheless. Further enhanced by her choice of environment.

"I've taken the odd job here and there, to earn some coin. But it didn't stick." was all the ice mage revealed on the subject. "The village we are headed towards carries some potions I want. While Hyoite did have a few, they were not the ones I was looking to buy. Plus the village this way has better prices."

The two of them continued their trek across the tundra, with Adelaide only glancing back once or twice at the man who followed her, but mostly concentrating on getting to where she was going so she wouldn't get lost. In the tundra it was easy enough to do. The midday sun shone more brightly now, making the wind not so cold as before. Adelaide shielded her eyes from the glaring rays and walked on, while at the same time wondering if her comrade was going to ask any more questions. He seemed to like asking questions, she mused.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath came back from his thoughts as the white haired woman answered. 'So you are after potions, afterall...', he thought as his mouth went a little dry. 'It won't be as bad as, say, orphan blood or something... right?'

"So, you're saying you don't much care for not freezin' your butt off, then? I guess you have to be an Ice Mage to appreciate that sort of thing...", he halfheartedly replied and wanted to say nothing more, though one last though came to his mind.

"Are you running from somebody?"

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide looked at him out of the corner of her eye. The stranger with the yellow cat's eye seemed to be thinking about something, but didn't say anything further to her. Shrugging, the ice mage kept up her pace, continuing towards her intended destination. Some mutterings from him could be heard a tiny bit later, but Adelaide didn't really pay what he said much attention.

When he asked her if she was running from somebody, Adelaide responded with a simple 'no'. And kept on walking. After some more steps had been taken, the ice mage figured in her head the amount of time and miles the village was from their current whereabouts. Estimating another good hour and a half, with about five to ten miles if they kept up a rapid pace that is, Adelaide turned towards her companion. "We're about ten miles from the village now. Another hour or two before we arrive."

Snow flurries were being stirred up in their passing, but it didn't seem to bother Adelaide much.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

He considered digging a little deeper after the brief retort, but then decided against it because he didn't need ice balls flying at his head at the speed of a falling rock.

The ice mage made a short announcement, estimating the rest of the way. "Sure thing, whatever you say, Ice Queen", he answered while checking the area for landmarks. He began to wonder why he'd never heard of that settlement that the two of them were headed. If it was important or self-sufficient enough to make potions for an ice mage that only they could provide, then surely he'd heard of it and more people might've wanted to travel there for trade and hiring him as wayguard in the process. But he didn't remember ever walking this route, what little hills, rockformations or pinegroves he could make out in the field where completely alien to him.

"Say, you wouldn't know whether the locals of our dest'nation had a name for their gatherin' of huts and tents? 'Cause I can't recall ever goin' this way when I'm out in the tundra", he inquired calmly, "but maybe I've heard of the place from some of the bypassers in Hyoite."

Ethereal-Star

"The tundra's a big place." Adelaide replied simply. "As for the name of the settlement, it is fairly new, only been around for five years give or take. It's called 'Fox Bend'. A lot of fox shifters reside there." The ice mage didn't bother to look at the stranger as she said all this. "Lots of tinier settlements scattered abouts here, not all of them are permanent places of residence."

Now she looked at him, giving him the once-over. "You look to me like a native or at least someone who knows these parts pretty well. So that news should come as no surprise then."

IcarusDescension

((OOC: OK @Nexus, it's been six days I'm just going to assume Pandor didn't have a response at this point.))

The tavern's occupants hadn't responded quite as Aguta had expected. A few had startled or worried expressions, others seemed to dismiss his remark with obvious disbelief.

Be it on their heads then if they find themselves the next victims of the foul tempered beast, he decided as he headed on the back door. Not that he was against helping out others, it just wasn't his responsibility -at least not to the point of taking on a fight he clearly couldn't win. Then again he did have his bow, and perhaps with Sol's help...

No. He dismissed the idea immediately. An ordinary bear was one thing, but ordinary bears didn't carry weapons or demonstrate the intelligence that implied they probably knew how to use them. No, he had been right to begin with: he never should have come to this miserable berg in the ice.

One thought consoled him as he made his way out of town (making sure to stay out of sight of the tavern and any angry bears hanging around it,) and that was as long as the beast was here it wasn't out on the tundra somewhere scaring all the game away or waiting to ambush him in his sleep.

Fortunately the bear showed no signs of following and so Aguta set his course once more out into the open tundra. A bunch of shifters had set up camp not terribly far from here a few years back if he remembered right. Not that settlements and more people interested him much -quite the opposite- but he seemed to recall a few decent fishing opportunities not far from there he had taken advantage of on his last trip near the area. Hopefully the locals were the keep-to-themselves kind and not the overly territorial don't-touch-our-food-supply kind. If nothing else he might be able to scare up some game on the way.

Snowflakes began to drift down around him and he groaned inwardly. To think he was walking away from a perfectly warm bed next to a comfortable hearth. Blasted money lenders, blasted... short-tempered talking bears! It seemed everywhere he went he had a habit of burning his bridges behind him, but then that was just life.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

He returned her look with a suspicious expression on his face. "Aye, been livin' in Hyoite for the past ten years, helpin' protect the caravans that trade between settlements and help out the hunting parties. That's why I'm kind of curious 'bout that 'Fox Bend' place a' yours. If that place's been around for five years now, I wonder why I never heard or seen a caravan going there for trade or why I never seen one a' them folks come by the inn. An' believe me - I see many folks come round the inn when they come to Hyoite", he explained, the words coming slowly but with a certain hostility that signaled his discomfort.

Ilvenath eyed the white haired woman with a searching glare, trying to find any sort of emotion in the ice mage's face, before continuing with a little more calm in his voice:" Might be I just missed out on 'em all these years, might that they don't come over to my place and they don't have much need for the wares there. So I'm sure you'll understand why I'd like to know as much about th' place as possible. Might very well be I find new business opportunity there. Might also be I'm not welcome there - Some of the people up here tend to prefer to stay by themselves."

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide returned his look of suspicion with a look of her own-that of cool indifference. She shrugged at his diatribe, and simply stated, "Matters not to me whether or not you believe me. That's where we're headed, like it or not. As for seeing or hearing any caravans headed back and forth, again not my problem if you don't pay attention to that area--they do have some traders going back and forth. Although probably not as many as you are used to."

The ice mage continued on, intent to get there with as little trouble as possible. If she was grateful for the company, she sure as heck didn't show any signs of it. Adelaide was known to be quite aloof when she wanted to be. That's not to say she didn't show any emotion-she just was more nonchalant about it.

"The town's only been there for five years. Since I travel quite a bit, obviously more than you, I know of its whereabouts and who lives there for the most part. Their supply stock isn't that large all things considered, but last time I checked they had some things I wanted. End of story."

IcarusDescension

The flakes began to fall more heavily as Aguta trudged on through the blanket of snow across the land. While the cold tundra did have a relatively short growing season some stubborn form of grass tended to find a way to survive the cold and could be seen where the snow was thinnest. A sort of shallow-rooted thorny bush could be seen here and there but seldom did any trees break up the landscape.

He looked up but could see little sky, only an increasingly foreboding cloud cover - especially in the direction from which the breeze was blowing. Not good.

Still, he could regret his circumstances, no matter what the weather might be bringing his way. The air was crisp and fresh and all around him there was stillness. Not so much as the sound of a bird broke up the utter peacefulness of his surroundings for the present. Here he could forget humanity and all of its deceptions, its shortsightedness and violence. Here there was only the timelessness of all the ages of life that had passed by on these peaceful plains.

Well that and -he noticed suddenly- something up ahead on the tundra. Something he had at first dismissed as a boulder but now he could see was not. He thought about summoning Sol to investigate but being out on the tundra again for a while he found he had regained a bit of confidence (or foolishness - he never seemed to be able to tell the difference until it was too late) and he did not. Instead he continued to approach until he could make out that it was in fact someone's camp.

Assuming it abandoned he continued but then stopped when he realized he was wrong yet again. A figure was lying prone near what was left of the campfire, their belongings scattered about the area.

Now his concern was growing. After all, what kind of fool would still be camped at mid-day in the middle of the open tundra with the weather threatening to bring a storm down on top of them? The person had to either be injured or had seriously overslept, he decided.

Or, he concluded as he finally reached the encampment, they might just be dead.

The dead person appeared to be middle-aged, Aguta decided, and appeared to have bled to death from some fairly severe looking and hastily bandaged injuries to his midsection -and arms -and everywhere really. Whatever had this man been doing, fighting against a whole army all by himself? He didn't care to get a better description, or for that matter to look at the body at all more than he had to. The man hadn't been dead long enough to look truly gruesome but corpses just weren't his thing to begin with. It struck him as odd that predators hadn't found the body already, it really was a slow day on the tundra apparently.

"Well my friend," he said casually as if the poor soul could have replied, "mind if I borrow one or two things from you? Don't suppose it will make much difference to you at this point eh?"

Finding the man's pack he began to go through it in case there was something in it worth acquiring. Or perhaps some sign of who the man had been and if he had any family to bring the news home to. Not that he hoped for that opportunity. 'Oh by the way, I found your dead family member out on the tundra, well met!'

Most of what he found turned out to be pretty boring however. Some cooking utensils, a few days worth of dried food (which he was happy to integrate into his own meager stores) and other standard traveler's fare. All that stood out was a primitive notebook, quill, and a small supply of ink.

Deciding this was as good a place as any for a noon-day snack he opened up a few rations and filled his stomach while he read, skipping to the last entry first.

So it is here that I shall meet my end. On this desolate wasteland. I have barely the strength to hold this quill now and I know I shall not see another day. At least I die knowing I wasted my life in the pursuit of worthy goals. -Unattainable ones I grant you, but all the more worthy for their ambition.

I spent the first half of my life trying to be a poet. Looking through that dizzying kaleidoscope of youth it seemed a surety that I could change the world but with the right melody of words and wisdom. It would take me many years of singing of dreams and a better world into ears deaf to all but greed and selfishness to learn the error of my ways. All men in the end become who they choose to be, and the world shapes itself around them. Few choose wisely.

Of all the years subsequent, I can only say that if violence was to be the deity before which all men would most assuredly bow then I decided I would become the living incarnation of their God. I would be the greatest warrior of them all, and like the legends of old of whom poets are made famous writing about I would-

Aguta leaned back and yawned, taking another bite of hard jerky and a swig from his water skin. "Can barely hold the quill up eh?" He spoke to the body a few feet to his right. "Looks like you were having trouble putting it down to me..."

He almost put the journal aside, knowing he couldn't waste too much time here, but found himself skimming past a few more entries instead, hoping to find something more useful. A few pages previous one caught his eye.

I think now I may have made a mistake in tracking my enemy this far North. He is indeed every bit the warrior I hoped him to be, a true beast. But now I fear I may not have adequately prepared myself. The cold tundra works to his favor while it curses me more each day. Yet I cannot turn back now, I must see this through. If I am to become the greatest warrior of our time I cannot renege on my greatest test. I have the Sword of Kings (for that is what I have decided to call it) at my command, and a fine weapon it is! A weapon of destiny. I see in its shining runes the answer. When I bring back the pelt of this beast I will know at last -as will everyone- that this is truly my destiny and that a warlord I have become who will make this world of corruption and filth clean again!

I am close now, the evidence of his passing is only hours old! Tomorrow I go to confront him. Tomorrow destiny unfolds.

With a sigh Aguta flipped through the rest of the book without bothering to read further. There was no sign of anything so straightforward as a simple name or signature. He tossed it aside. "You," he declared as he put away his rations, "were one deluded crazy person, you know that?"

The corpse didn't answer.

With another sigh he took stock of his options. It didn't seem right to just leave the man there, but on the other hand he had no means by which to dig a hole in the frozen ground of the tundra nor were there enough stones nearby to make a decent cairn. There was the ritual of passage that his father had taught him many years ago, but he decided against it as appropriate as it might be for the situation. It had been that very ritual which had led to his discovery of his own abilities and his father's fakery. He didn't feel like dredging up the past.

Besides which part of him was afraid he would actually make contact with the crazed warrior poet's spirit. While having Sol following him around was a true gift he didn't think some psycho egomaniac would make quite as pleasant a companion.

"I wish you good fortune on your next journey my friend," he said finally before continuing on his own. He was walking through the fading tracks of the dead man, he noted, wondering absently just what adversary the guy had been referring to. Obviously it had been a brutal fight. For that matter, he wondered what all that nonsense concerning swords and runes was about. Certainly there hadn't been any such sword in the man's belongings.

Perhaps the man had been another victim of the beast, but something seemed increasingly wrong about the situation. If the bear he saw in town was the beast as he assumed, why did it show no sign of injury? Was the fight that one-sided? Besides which, how did the bear get to Hyoite so quickly after their fight? After all, the tracks he was following only led deeper into the tundra.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the bear in town was just some grumpy shifter. Or there might be a whole tribe of bear people like him somewhere. It occurred to him for the first time in fact, that the bear might not have been the beast at all and that he might have just made one giant, dangerously wrong, assumption. In which case he, and anyone else out on the naked openness of the tundra, might be anything but safe...

He stopped in his tracks for a moment at the realization. The breeze seemed colder than it had before, and the clouds suddenly more threatening. He picked up his pace amid the increasing snow flakes.

((OOC: Let me know if I the dead warrior poet guy was a good plot drop or not. I'm not sure what plans everyone else has as to where things are going, so please tell me if I'm heading in a direction you don't like! Trying not to step on any toes here. Thanks!))

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath grimaced at the insult. 'Don't pay attention', he repeated in his head, 'obviously more than you'... As if she's been to every single corner of this forsaken place.

He trodded after her, struggling whether he should reply with a counter argument, but then he decided he'd rather not be frozen solid. He suddenly broke the silence: "Tell me more about those fox shapeshifters. I've seen some magical folks settling out in Sionad. Actually...", he paused for a moment, considering his next words, "I'm looking for a certain kind of shapeshifters. I heard they can take the form of the land and become practically invisible and even take animal shapes. Maybe your foxpeople are the ones I'm looking for."

Slithix

It was a cold brisk day "The Usual So" Slithix told himself as he entered his favourite watering hole in all of Hyoite. He hadn't had a good assignment in over a week and was looking for some quick silver. He ordered a Flagon of piping hot mead from the local innkeeper, throwing away two pieces in the process "Last one I'll order for a while" he muttered under his breath, clearly dissatisfied at the taste. He was just about to leave in a disgruntled manner, however he found an unusually large creature on the floor about 8 foot tall and as Merry as Pippins. "Just my luck" as he grabbed his satchel and made haste.

This wasn't the first time he had gone so far north, in fact part of his enhancement took place here. He could still remember the actions taken by that group of unfortunate mages all those years ago and the smell of fresh yet frozen blood slowly dripping from their veins still lingered in his mind. "And it was all for my benefit" he chuckled to himself.

Suddenly the experienced killer heard faint gibbering in one of the darker areas of town. Two men who he noticed were armed with foreign looking blades were talking about strange happenings that had took place recently. "That Mage Girl is garnering a lot of attention lately" one whispered, "Yeah that's the third fool this week that I've seen follow her into the tundra" answered the other.

Intrigued by this he made his move. Slicing one's throat while pinning the other down. "What was his name" he whispered through his copper mask. "Uh........ Uh......... Barius ...... Uh, Sir" exclaimed the unfortunate soul. "Sir, hmmph, that's a title I haven't heard since my stint in the castle" chuckled the hooded assassin. "You may live another day" he whispered as the now petrified man hastily took his leave.

"A mage this far North" he pondered as memories of the enhanced human project rekindled. "Could this be her?" he thought to himself "I must find out" as a sigh rolled down his face. He called upon his companion Serpa (A vivid Silverback Viper with which he grew up with)and  fastened his mask before they eventually made their way out of the village.

Slithix soon spotted a figure in the distance by a enticing camp fire. What stood out to him however was the dead body that lay beside this glowing shadow. "A cannibal, a mercenary, a fellow assassin. I don't care any more, I will join this man on his journey"

Ethereal-Star

"As far as I know, they're just your normal fox shifters. Whether or not they've got other abilities I have yet to see such." Adelaide wondered exactly who it was he was looking for and why. However her current companion didn't give any more hints on the matter.

"They've got some other folks that go there from time to time." The ice mage adjusted her bag over her shoulder again as she talked. "Maybe you'll find your answers there, maybe not. The village is smaller than Hyoite though."

IcarusDescension

No sooner had Aguta started off from camp than something caught his eye on the tundra ahead of him. It was a comfortable distance away but close enough he could make out the obvious form of a small arctic fox. White as snow and all fur he couldn't help but to take a moment and admire the beauty of the creature. Good thing Sol isn't here, he thought with a smile, he'd want to chase the poor thing. Come to think of it, where is Sol?

He closed his eyes for a moment, sending a mental summons. He couldn't really be sure if that was an actual thing or if he was just fooling himself but he and Sol had been together for so long that he had come to feel that in those times when he thought of the spirit, his companion could somehow sense it. He opened his eyes again, still not feeling the wolf's presence.

For its part the fox, he noted with curiosity, wasn't moving away. It was just sitting in the snow staring at him as if it were the urban dweller having a casual drink and he a curious wild animal it was watching through the window. I guess I probably am to you, aren't I? A wild animal. Only if you died and came to me as a spirit could we ever really communicate. What a pity. He thought.

Then he frowned. Was the fox staring at him, or at something behind him? He turned around to look.

((OOC: So Slithix I didn't know if your character had revealed himself at this point or was just following so I left it open. If Slithix does reveal himself, would you mind doing me a small fav and tossing in something of a physical description? Your character sheet is absent one and it would become necessary to at least know what Aguta sees when he looks at Slithix. Again, that's if you had planned for him to reveal himself. If not I'll just keep going.))

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath looked to the ground. That was probably as good a clue as he would get. My people sure know how to keep a low profile..., he snarled voicelessly, remembering how it took him several dead ends just to find the handful of other Danaan that now lived scattered all around the Sionad tundra. He had asked them to come to Hyoite, come and live as tribe, again, but they were all scared of the place.

They were all scared that their attackers from that time would search for them in Hyoite and finish their bloodwork.

He sighed away his frustration and turned his head. "There's a storm coming. How long from here until we come to 'Fox Bend' or any shelter?", he asked grimmly, not really caring for the answer at the moment.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide had been aware of the storm but had not given it much precedence until now. Looking up at the sky, she noted the increasingly dark cloud cover and frowned. It seemed rather ominous somehow, as though foreboding something terrible to come. Plus it seemed like it had gotten a whole lot worse in only the span of three minutes or so. Snow was coming down more forcefully, the bite of the wind more chilly than before, sky ever darkening with blackened shapes of doom.

Thinking about when they would arrive at Fox Bend, Adelaide pondered a bit. It had been almost an hour since her last deduction of the time it would take to reach the village, perhaps another half hour was in the works. But the storm wasn't going to wait until they got there before unleashing its wrath. No, they would need to find some other shelter and soon.

The ice mage thought about the ice cave she liked to visit, however they had passed it a little ways back. In other words, they would need to backtrack as it was about ten minutes away from their current location. But ten minutes was better than thirty minutes so Adelaide began her trek towards the cave she knew of, saying to the shapeshifter with the yellow eye, "There's a cave back this way, about ten minutes away from here. The village is still at least another half hour."

Looking back at him, Adelaide told him, "We'll have to go this way now and stay in that cave until the storm passes. So let's get moving already!" And with that, she hurried off at a more rapid pace as the chilling winds blew around them both, promising a fierce storm to come.

Slithix

((OOC: I've updated his physical description Icarus to give you a better idea of his character))

Slithix notice the man in the distance turn towards him. "Well at least he has good reflexes" he thought as the man stared back. He continued to walk toward the figure in the distance. The assassin had a good feeling about this man and started to pick up the pace. Along the way he noticed what had given him away, "Those darn foxes. Still, it might just feed us for the night"

Slithix was now just a few feet away. He noticed the man was a bit curious about his arrival, of course why wouldn't he be. A masked man appearing almost out of the bloom, if that wasn't a reason to be intrigued what would be. "Don't be alarmed" his voice echoed through the copper.

Slithix took off his mask and revealed himself. "There's not much people who have seen such a sight" he laughed. "I offer you my assistance. At least then will I have a reason to be here" The man looked relieved to see this was not a threat but a possible comrade in arms. "Now don't put out that fire just yet.There's a storm brewing up ahead, you may want to stick around for a while" Said Slithix, as he laid down his bearings for the rough skies that were soon to be at hand

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath nodded to himself, then sprinted after the white haired woman as she pressed on towards the shelter she mentioned. He felt the icewinds cutting into his face and tears welled up in his eyes as he bolted through the snowbanks, his legs beginning to tire from constantly plowing through the kneedeep white. He briefly glanced behind himself, but his eyes widened at the snow that swirled into the sky not far away from them. It was right then that his foot got caught and he stumbled headfirst into the snow, vanishing from sight. Something had become tangled around his legs. It looked like the arm of a frozen corpse. Slightly panicking due to the delay, he quickly grabbed a machete from his belt and hacked the solid limb away and he struggled back to his feet, continuing his way more tumbling than running.

The ten minutes seemed to the Danaan like an age, and his lungs burned from the exhaustion and freezing air, but they reached their destination in time. The coming storm was still a distance away. Ilvenath stood in front of the cave, a dark, frozen maw leading into blackness. He nodded to the white haired mage. "Got any torches or tinders? I doubt we'll be able to see much in there...", he asked, gripping his machete firmer as his suspicions grew about this place. What if the shelter was inhabited by a polar bear - Or the damned Beast of the Tundra? Or what if the sorceress was responsible for the snowstorm? She might have summoned it in order to force him here, where nobody would ever find him, then murder him and use his blood for a wicked ritual. His eyes jumped back and forth between the storm and the entrance. If she really was going to try and kill him, then it was still smarter to go inside. If worse came to worse, he could still fight her - But he couldn't fight a storm.

"Alright, after you, Ice Queen."

IcarusDescension

((OOC: Thanks Slithx! Just needed something for a mental image. Good to go now...))

Aguta looked up at the sky again in response to the stranger's warning. Indeed it had not been his imagination, the storm was looking worse by the minute. It was enough to make him wonder if this beast of his didn't have some sort of power over the weather. In fact now that he thought about it, what better way to kill your prey than to use the very elements against them and move in under cover of the storms? He had heard rumors of those with the magic to do such things...

Then again it could just be a freak storm front, weather could be unpredictable after all. Feeling suddenly silly at his mental meanderings he turned his attention back to the newcomer. Dressed in a concealing hooded cloak the man blended in with his surroundings startlingly well. Combined with the mask, Aguta believed the man when he implied few ever got a good look at him.

Had they met under different circumstances his natural suspicion might have gotten the better of him, but the man was behaving quite amiably and Aguta found himself offering a lopsided smile and a gesture of welcome. Travelers on the open tundra tended to be loners, and it seemed a shame to waste kindness or companionship when they came along.

"Assistance you say? Well, far be it for me to turn down an offer like that. Please, enjoy my humble little fire. I inherited it from that poor sod there." He nodded towards the body. "I was too late to offer him my own assistance, it seems he came out here in search of a fight and got more of one than he bargained for."

He took a good look around before putting any effort into building up the campfire. The spot seemed a little more exposed than he would have liked, especially if that storm turned out to be a bad one, but to his dissatisfaction there was no other shelter in sight and his destination was still much too far to reach before the storm caught them. Hopefully they would get lucky, and the worst of it would pass by to the North instead of coming down on top of them.

While turning to grab some more firewood he looked back for the fox. It had moved a little further away now, perhaps wary, but had not gone far. It looked at him and his new companion, looked at the storm clouds, then back at them, and cocked its head. Something about the whole gesture just seemed out of place on a fox. Strange little animal, he thought.

Slithix

Slithix had noticed after his brief introduction with Aguta that his attention was now firmly fixed on the fox in the distance. He could not see nothing different with that fox than any other he had seen before but the he could see the desire within Aguta to find out what the curious fox was up to. "So I guess that's off the menu then." Slithix remarked.

With the storm getting closer and the sun going down on the horizon, Slithix was also in a curious state of mind. "So, what brought you out here in the blistering cold, why not just enjoy a night in the local taverns. There must be something on your mind. And what about this dead guy, what do you think got him" The assassin usually didn't care much for the death of others. And this question was one that his vocabulary had gotten used to.

In his mind he was done for the night. Slithix put back on his mask as he waited for the clouds to roll in. The mask would at least protect his face if hail or worse should fall, and his body had been trough enough training to resist such violent weather. "I know this sounds a bit lazy but wake me up if you need me" he laughed as he put his head in his hands and was soon away with the fairy's.