Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beast of the Tundra [open]

Started by Ethereal-Star, November 19, 2014, 07:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

While the shapeshifter shifted about, nervous, Adelaide got out a torch and a small tinderbox. Striking the torch against the tinder inside, she was able to create a burning flame which provided enough light for them to see by, casting flickering shadows this way and that. The inside of the cave greeted them, icicles hanging down from the ceiling, ice and frost covered ground beneath them. A few crystals of ice stuck up from the ground here and there as well, their blueness seeming quite magical right then.

Adelaide walked in holding the torch and said to the man behind her, "Help me start a fire." and proceeded to gather what dried peat she had on hand in her bag exactly for that task. The sun was going down as nightfall approached and they needed a campfire to warm up and to cook some food with. Adelaide had a few provisions and food stuff but nothing real fancy, only some dried fish and trail rations consisting of nuts and hardtack. She would also need to stock up on these at Fox Bend, whenever they would get there. The ice mage had no notion of her companion's fears about her or the storm and went about what she was doing with no more words spoken.

IcarusDescension

"So I guess that's off the menu then." Slithix remarked.

Aguta smiled again, amused by his own preoccupation with the animal. It would make a decent meal. And a nice pair of gloves. Should have gone for the kill by now, I'm going soft. Then the white fox darted away into the snow and he quickly lost track of it. Good job. And I call myself a hunter...

He pondered a moment on the man's next questions as he tossed the remaining couple of pieces of kindling into the fire. He relished the warm clean flames that resulted -wood was a commodity on the bare tundra and he was impressed the camp's previous owner was toting so much around. He knew he probably should have been more conservative with it, but it wouldn't matter anyway, he suspected the storm would put the fire out for him before too long.

Finally he decided to answer with the truth. What did he care if the man chocked him up to a lunatic the same as the barkeep? Other people would always think what they wanted, that was the way of the world. "Well, I'm a hunter and traveler by trade, but as for what brought me to my current circumstances... For a few odd reasons I've come to believe there's a creature out on this tundra somewhere. People talk about it as some kind of a beast although I'm not sure I've ever seen it. But something's been scaring away the game out here and attacking some of the travelers around Hyoite, including our friend here. In fact in his journal he talks about hunting some kind of a warrior beast or some such, but then in fairness he also sounded a little bit nuts and..."

He looked over to realize his companion had put his mask back on and looked as if he might be asleep. Chuckling, Aguta stopped talking and moved over to his pack and fished out his makeshift tent. "Seems my dead friend here is rubbing off on me. Now I'm going on and on..." Consisting of nothing more fancy than poles and some animal hides his 'tent' wouldn't provide a whole lot of shelter from the elements but combined with his furs he had weathered a storm or two before in the thing and would do so again if he must.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

"Alright, lemme see what I have on hand...", Ilvenath answered and started to rummage in his satchel. He actually didn't bring all that many supplies, thinking he could rely on the hidden stashes throughout the tundra that the various hunters would leave behind for others in need. What he did have were a few balls of crumpled cloth drenched in oil which he placed in a stonecircle where they could set up their fire. He took the peat from the ice mage and stacked it evenly over the cloth before igniting it with a quick touch of the ice mage's torch. The small campfire quickly illuminated the cavern and Ilvenath took a moment to inspect it. I should definitely mark this place somehow, never know when I might need to take shelter here, again, he considered, turning to his own wayration of flatbread and salted fish. I swear on my grandda's grave the Boss keeps 'running out' of proper meat on purpose...

He seated himself on a boulder and stared into the fire, half-heartedly chewing on the stale meal he had on him. "Say, Ice Queen", he began, peeking at the ice mage from the corner of his eye, "you prob'ly heard of the Beast, as well. Rumour's been all over th' place. Lots of lies and exaggerations goin' about, for sure, but... What do you think it is that's getting the locals scared?"

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide looked up at her companion and merely shrugged. "I don't know, really." she stated, thinking about the tales she'd heard herself. "Sounds like mass hysteria to me." she commented, poking the fire with a pair of black metal tongs in her hands. "If there is something out there like that, I sure as heck haven't seen any evidence. And I've traveled around quite a bit too." the ice mage said before going quiet, ice blue eyes staring at the flames as though pondering some hidden mystery. "Dead animals and people showing up is not that unheard of around here. And if anything tried to attack me, they'd get their head frozen in a block of ice. Or a ice shard to the eye." Saying this in quite a nonchalant manner, but meaning every word. And the ice mage had had to do that before too.

She looked at the man across from her and said, "And my name's Adelaide." while continuing to poke the fire in a kind of bored fashion. Meanwhile, the icy winds blew fiercely outside, the storm coming ever nearer.

IcarusDescension

With his humble tent set up he was as ready as he was going to be to wait out the storm. Snowflakes were coming down harder now and the wind had already picked up. Fierce gusts tugged suddenly at his firs only to vanish the next moment. But Aguta knew the storm would get worse when it really got going.

In the meantime he found himself reaching over and picking up the dead man's journal he had tossed aside earlier. He wasn't sure why exactly, it was a way to kill time he supposed. He had meant to ask the strange masked man his name at least, but that could wait. He wasn't going to wake the man just to bother him with idle conversation. He flipped through the pages before him for a bit before stopping and reading one that looked more interesting than most.

I continue to track my prey, all the time learning about him. One does not, after all, hunt a fox into its den without knowing its ways and means. I finally came across a first-hand account, and to my disappointment I find it dubious.

The man claimed not only to have seen the beast I seek but to have spoken with him -to have known him! At first I thought it a gold mine but then he started spinning tales fit for children. He talked of the beast as an 'honorable warrior' and told of his quest North in search of a mage gone bad or some such. Of dark magics being practiced, and sacrifices paid. Paid with life either animal or human I might add. I've heard better tales from bards across the continent! When he had the audacity to demand payment for his 'information' I killed him on the spot. Here in this world of majesties and mysteries I suppose it balances the scales that we should have to suffer the fools as well...

Perhaps I'll look into this dark mage nonsense after I accomplish my task, should I find any further confirmation -which I doubt I will. It matters not. There are none who will stand between me and my destiny.

Aguta closed the book once more. He looked to the endless shrouded sky, felt the crisp wind blowing across his face -reminding him with every touch that he was alive. "World of majesties and mysteries eh?" He made a neutral grunt. His eyes drifted to the masked man across the campfire. Softly he said "Mysteries indeed. I wonder what stories led you here, my strange friend."

At some point he remembered burrowing further into his tent and furs as the wind grew harsher and the falling snow thicker. His body took the opportunity to remind him of a few sore muscles, and he found himself grateful at least for the excuse the weather had given him to take an extra evening's nap. Then he drifted off, trying to ignore the oddness of camping with a masked stranger and a corpse.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath turned his head towards the white haired mage, surprised at her introducing herself. "The locals call me 'Knives'. I guess you can call me that, too", he answered and took another bite of the salted fish and watched her poke around in their small fire. It probably wouldn't last an entire night and it worried him. As far as he could tell, neither of them had any sort of blanket or other means to keep them warm - And he didn't dare suggest they'd huddle together to warm eachother, especially after she mentioned stabbing people through the eye with icy shards.

He swallowed down the last bite of his meal and sat there, staring into the flames. His thoughts wandered to his little brother Foori and how the young boy probably didn't even know he was out here. He shouldn't have stormed out to pursue some vague trace of a creature that might or might not even have existed just for the idea that its pelt may even deliver some coin. He should at least have talked to his brother before he left.

He peeked at Adelaide, again. Did somebody such as herself have family? If she does, they've prob'ly been a nasty bunch. A loving family doesn't make children this cold..., he judged and wiped his running nose on his sleeve.

Eventually, he broke the silence. "I don't want to scare you, but this 'ere fire isn't gonna last us for very long, does it? How much more firewood d'you have on you? Might be we'll have to find other ways to not freeze to death", he said grimly, looking out the cavern as the winds suddenly picked up and caused the snow to whirl fiercely in the air. There's no way I could run, now. If she's really up to something, I got to keep quick on my toes, he thought and subconsciously reached for the machete that still laid next to him on the cold stone.

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide glanced at him when Ilvenath introduced himself but said nothing to him, turning back to poking at the fire aimlessly. The only reason she even told him her name was she was getting a little tired of being called 'Ice Queen' however fitting the name might be. Adelaide was never what you would call sociable or extroverted, and it seems her ice magic abilities had only strengthened that sense of aloofness about her to the point she appeared to be uncaring. Whether this was only surface deep or deeper than that, was not information the ice mage readily shared. It was better to be by oneself anyways.

Adelaide paused in her poking of the fire when Ilvenath asked if she had any more firewood or tinder with her, saying they would have to find other means to keep warm if she didn't. Adelaide got his meaning loud and clear, but she had no intention of bundling up with him for that purpose. Besides it didn't matter anyway as she did have some more of that peat and the tinderbox still contained enough tinder, hopefully to last through the night. Plus she also had a thin blanket in her bag, but had yet to retrieve it. Adelaide would bring it out once she was tired enough to sleep. But not yet.

Wordlessly she got out the rest of the dried peat she had in her bag and placed it next to the knapsack, gesturing to it so the man knew it was there. The peat was in a small cloth sack with drawstrings attached to keep the contents from spilling out and making a total mess inside her bag. She also got out the tinderbox and put that near her bag as well. Then she continued her fire gazing, still not saying anything else.

Idly twisting the dark-colored ring she wore on her finger, Adelaide was silent for some time. It was only when the fire started to die out, she said something. "No need to worry about the fire." she told Ilvenath as she tossed more peat and a speck of tinder onto the fire to keep it burning. Sparks rose from the fire briefly as she did so, the flames once more burning merrily. "All taken care of."

The ice mage then thought about this and that, although one thought in particular nagged at her though. Ilvenath. She didn't know why, but it seemed as though perhaps he was wary of her, although Adelaide had no solid proof of that. And why be wary of her? Because she had told him she was a mage? Adelaide almost snorted at this, but managed not to. Not all mages were of the bad sort. Whatever, let him think what he will. she decided. Adelaide was also not all that comfortable with his presence either but for a different reason. She wasn't used to much companionship for long. Certainly not spending the night with somebody in the cave she loved to frequent. It was her private sanctuary and the ice mage wasn't sure how she felt about sharing it. But with the storm the way it was, there was not much other choice. Even though it may seem like it, Adelaide was not cold-hearted so she wasn't going to let him freeze to death either. Besides he didn't have to follow her in the first place. That was his choice, not hers.

As the minutes ticked on by, Adelaide sighed and yawned. Time to turn in. she thought and got out her blanket. While not a wool blanket it served the purpose nonetheless. Settling down a little ways from the fire, she began to get comfortable for the stormy night ahead, laying the blanket out on the ground and curling up inside the material. She didn't worry about Ilvenath as the ice mage thought he would for sure have his own blanket or bedroll or some such. It would be a bit foolish not to have one here on the tundra. Pretty soon the ice mage fell asleep, white-silverish hair splayed over her eyes while she slumbered.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ilvenath was relieved that the ice mage still had some extra peat to make their campfire last a little longer. She hadn't tried anything to threaten his life up to now, so his suspicions about her started to fade, though he still couldn't make that nagging feeling in the back of his head go away.

Memories of his tribal druid came to him, repeating the stories of how the spiritchildren of Mother Earth and Father Sky had kept magic and sorcery to themselves, until humans came and stole their secrets. The spirits had been furious and hunted them, but they could never find them now that the mortals could cast spells, themselves. It was only after many generations that the mortals had grown careless with their magic and didn't hide themselves, anymore, that the spirits would come and exact their vengeance upon them. In their fury, the spirits didn't care for who was innocent and who was deserving of their wrath, causing great suffering among the living.

Ilvenath's people, the Danaan, had thus always distanced themselves from any sort of scholarly spellcasting, only making use of runes and prayers to invoke the spirits to cast any 'spells', if you could even call them that, for they paled in comparision to the alleged wonders that mages and sorcerors could conjure. He himself hadn't given such preoccupation much thought since the day he had to flee his own home, focusing on helping him and his brother to regain some sort of a life, again. Now that he was stuck with one such spellcaster, the old teachings began to resurface in his mind, together with the superstitious talk of simpleminded folk that he'd heard.

Suddenly, the ice mage announced that she was going to get some sleep. Ilvenath turned towards her and nodded, considering to do the same, soon, though he still feared the risk of freezing to death if he didn't pay attention.

His eyes began to wander between Adelaide, his machete and the cave entrance and he weighed his chances of escape if any sort of supernatural escalation would take place. The Danaan quickly dismissed any thought of running into the storm when another windhose whirled across the frozen plains and shuddered at the sight. He focused on the white haired woman, again, and after asserting himself that she was fast asleep, he brought forth a woolen blanket which he wrapped around himself and laid himself somewhere a little closer to the wall, but still in range of the fire's heat. So far, you haven't tried anything. But I'm not going to risk you slitting my throat, at night, he thought, still observing her. He pulled the blanket over him and, with a last prayer to Mother Earth, the semblance of a boulder started to replace his body, shielding him from any sight.

Slithix

In a sudden yet ungraceful motion, Slithix jumped out of his deep sleep. "Not Again" he thought to himself, "I thought I was done with these recollections". Although highly aware of the world and its inhabitants around him, Slithix knew very little about himself prior to his first encounters with those experimental mages. All he could remember was the elixirs they gave him, the spells he suffered through, the tests he completed with ease and the dead soulless eyes of every last one of them. All but one

As he noticed his companion at the other side of the blazing fire in front of him, he remembered that he had never fully introduced himself. He didn't plan to either, at least not face to face. The only ones who have received that honour did not last long enough to remember it. So he wrote a note and signed it S and gave a little background information about himself. to at least give the man a clue about his shadowed pass. This would also work as an excuse for when Slithix would pay a visit to a special place of his. Or at least it was once upon a time

The storm was not getting better so there was not much of a chance of the mask coming off. However Slithix still wanted to know what would drive this humble yet strong looking character into the heart of the wilderness. Could it have been the beast he had heard about from the locals while passing through the area. At this moment a cold hard shiver started to run deep into his core Wait, such a creature of this stature so far north, that can only mean He turned to his journeyman across the soon to be embers, "Pack up your supplies, we got a long hard journey ahead of us. If your out here for the reason I'm fearing, you better be ready for it"

IcarusDescension

Aguta was dreaming, how he knew that he wasn't sure. He was sharing Sol's existence once more, drinking in the sights and smells of the tundra as only the wolf's senses could. Except that there wasn't really much to see. The storm had turned the landscape to a shroud of blowing white curtains in every direction and closed off the sky. Where were they? He couldn't tell.

A strange scent was blowing in the wind, something neither animal nor human. The wind shifted frequently but the scent was always just as strong, as if it was all around them. For a moment he was sure he heard a sound. Then he heard it again. It could almost have been laughter blown on the breeze but if it was it wasn't uttered by any normal human vocal chords. It was gravelly, menacing. Every once in a while a strange light would color the whiteness around them, as if from unnatural red lightning. The whole storm had a wrongness to it.

A voice came from somewhere in the whiteness but he couldn't make out what it said. Sol growled...

Then without warning a different voice shattered the dreamworld. "Pack up your supplies, we got a long hard journey ahead of us. If you're out here for the reason I'm fearing, you better be ready for it."

Aguta's head lurched up as the dream vanished, to be replaced by their campsite and its remarkably resilient campfire. The storm was still blowing around them as well, though nowhere near as nightmarish as it was in his dream. "What is it?" He asked, instinctively searching for danger. "The beast, did you see it?"

He immediately felt foolish as it was apparent there was no beast in sight. I gotta stop sleeping with corpses, he thought, it's clearly having an effect. Rubbing sleep from his eyes and still feeling somewhat foolish he gathered himself together and began to pack up his tent.

Something seemed to have changed for his companion, the man's casual aura seemed to have been replaced by one of purpose. While he couldn't guess as to what had happened he didn't get the sense that the man was someone who was to be taken lightly. It was just something subtle about him. The calm matter-of-fact voice, the way the man's most casual movements seemed incapable of being less than precise. If this man sensed danger, Aguta was willing to take his word on it. It was time to be moving on.

((OOC: By the way Slithix what time shall we say it is? Did they sleep through the night or just a few hours or what do you think?))

Ethereal-Star

Inside the ice cave, Adelaide still slumbered in her thin blanket on the cold ground. Some minutes passed and then she awoke, sitting up slowly rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Something didn't feel right to her. It was as though there was a menacing presence nearby, not inside the cave necessarily but out there in the storm that was raging. Whatever it was felt dark and sinister, with a palpable aura of danger and vileness to it.

The ice mage looked toward the cave entrance and saw only blackness. It was still nighttime, not even close to being morning yet. Gazing around the cave, her eyes then rested on a strange looking boulder near the fire which was still going, but not as strongly as before. Adelaide was positive that rock hadn't been there before. Speaking of, her companion was nowhere in sight. Whether he left in the night seemed to be not that plausible as the storm was howling something extreme out there. A real blizzard it was. If he did leave, then surely he was dead. Hardly anyone could survive out in such bad weather. Not for long anyway. Not even she could.

She looked around the cave some more before her gaze returned back to the boulder, just sitting there as though it had every right to be there. A thought crossed her mind, but she quickly dismissed it. The idea that the rock was the thing emitting the strange dark aura was ridiculous. Evil rocks? Adelaide thought not. Still, she wondered where Ilvenath had gone to. Not that she was getting attached to him, but after all perhaps he was planning something and that's why he wasn't here. Planning where exactly? The cave wasn't all that big and it was obvious he wasn't here. Which meant he had to have gone outside. Or maybe he was behind the rock...

Getting up reluctantly, the ice mage made her way over to the rock and checked behind it real fast. Nope. No shape shifter back there. She looked at the rock again, puzzled. Shaking her head, Adelaide headed back to her makeshift bed where her bag was, got some more tinder to throw onto the fire, then promptly went back to the blanket to catch some more sleep, deciding not to worry about the missing Ilvenath. He wasn't her concern.

Adelaide lay there, trying to fall back asleep but it seemed like sleep was not within her grasp anymore. Still she tried, all the while feeling the strange darkness about the area increase, the sense that something was out there, watching, waiting and ready to pounce when given the chance would not leave her thoughts no matter how hard she tried to push them away. She sighed, in both irritation and doubt. Nothing to do for it except try to ignore it. However she lay awake for some time, the strange boulder still there with the feeling of doom ever present as the night stretched slowly onwards...

IcarusDescension

Aguta now had his things together, but he stopped to put out the fire and stuff as much of the precious wood as would fit into his pack. Seemed a shame to waste it...

"You speak of a long journey," he commented to his companion. "You headed somewhere in particular then?"

Slithix

((OOC: Really sorry for the late reply as I had a lot of things in my mind this week :( and we will say it's just about sunrise :) ))

Slithix noticed that Aguta had got his supplies ready and it looked as if the two unlikely companions were ready to set off. He also took time to reply to his question "Personally I'm on a long trip to nowhere. Aren't we all I suppose, it's only this place brings back some disturbing memories of my past which is already quite shrouded. For now however I am still here for what I originally intended, to help you find what you are looking for, and to entertain myself in doing so"

He ended with a quick smile before sliding his mask back on and heading back out into the wilderness. Slithix knew what this beast of recent rumours truly was, but tricking others was one of life's passions, no matter the price to be paid. He could feel a dark aura around him and he was sure the monster was doing the same. However since their first encounter they have grown weary of each other and in turn grown further apart until now. The fact that mages were also on the hunt as told by the local innkeeper just added to his excitement.

As he waited for Aguta to follow, Slithix suddenly remembered the note he had written. Crap, I guess I'll just hand it to him He picked up the scrappy piece of paper once more and attempted to slide into his companions pocket to avoid confrontation, After all if he catches me now at least it will be less awkward than running off as he awaited their next move into the grey.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

The sun shone dimmly through the cavern entrance and stung in Ilvenath's eyes, which woke him from his slumber. His form slowly shifted back from the boulder into his real self and he stretched, his muscles and bones aching from essentially being tensed all night in order to maintain his camouflage. "Tunnarkhiel, damn it!", he yelled as a loud crack went through his body and his muscles cramped, fighting against any action other than 'lie still'. He rubbed himself all over and rolled across the floor in order to soften his muscle tissue, and with a painful tingle his body started to return to a functioning state.

His first thought went straight to the ice mage, who still lay on the floor, but Ilvenath's cursing seemed to have stirred her sleep, and she seemed to slowly wake from her slumber, though still groggy. I think I remember a touch on me this night, might be she's been looking for me... but it might've been a dream and she wasn't trying to carve me open like a ham, he thought, still kind of sleepy. He went outside into the cool, crispy winterair and emptied his bladder, dipping his hands into some unsoiled snow and rubbing it between his fingers to clean them and returned to the cave, waiting for the ice mage to wake up while taking another bite of flatbread. "Mornin', sunshine. Sleep well?", he greeted her with his mouth full, stubbornly chewing his breakfast.

Ethereal-Star

Scowling at the nickname, Adelaide sat up rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Her sleep had been an uneasy one, for she had eventually fallen back to sleep, but it was by far not a deep one. Memories of darkness and vile magic filled her head as she struggled to recall exactly what she had been dreaming about.

Adelaide shook her head and looked at Ilvenath briefly as he chomped down on some bread rations. She looked over to where the boulder was and noted it wasn't there anymore. So, he can shift into rocks, I guess. the ice mage decided. It was kind of strange, for most shifters Adelaide knew of shape-shifted into animals, not rocks and shrubbery and the like. She supposed it wasn't impossible for there was a sterling example sitting right there, eating away at his food eagerly.

Adelaide got up and unfurled herself from the blanket, then went outside without a word. She also had to relieve herself so she found a spot a ways from the mouth of the cave and out of sight, did what she needed and wiped her hands off on the snow as well. Looking around once, Adelaide headed back to the ice cave and went over to her pack to get out some dried nuts and berries to eat for breakfast. Glancing over at Ilvenath, the ice mage quickly turned her attention back to her meal and ate quietly. Taking a couple sips from her waterskin, Adelaide finished and brushed off any crumbs from her silver and blue robe. The storm had passed obviously, so there was no more need to dawdle here. Time to move on.

She gathered up all her things and looked over to the shape-shifter and said, "Let's go." With that, she began to make her way out of the cave after putting out the remnants of the fire with a blast of ice from her hands, the coldness of it quickly extinguished any remaining embers that were still burning.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

Ever the charmer, he mocked her in his thoughts, clapping the crumps from his hands and following her out of the cave. He still glanced over his shoulder, his bad conscience scolding him for not leaving behind a stash of utilities and food for any lost wanderer who might come across this place, but he himself had nothing to spare and his white-haired guide seemed not like the sort to have the patience and gather supplies to leave behind for strangers they'd probably never meet, so he followed suit.

They wandered quite a while, a little more than the half-hour that Adelaide had estimated when they had been out on the fields, when they eventually saw smoke rising in the distance and the first huts emerged from the snowy plains. "Thank Mother Earth!", he smiled, his eyes lighting up at the sight, and he picked up his pace. A faint hope gleamed in his heart that he may find others of his tribe, even though logic thought demanded that they wouldn't have ventured this far north. "Come on, Ice Queen! Oh, I'd give my left arm for a hot stew right about now", he loudly proclaimed.

Ethereal-Star

As the village of Fox Bend came into view, Adelaide was also glad to have arrived. Her pace quickened and she hurried up to get to the front gates of the small settlement. Snowflakes blew around her and caught in her silvery-white hair, making her indeed look like some kind of ice queen. Minus a crown that is.

They were just about there. The ice mage continued her fast steps, eager to get to the shops she wanted to browse the wares of. Plus get some more ale or mead. Adelaide noticed some of the residents wandering around, looking like normal humans for the most part. Some of the shifters were in their fox form, the whiteness of their fur blending in with the frost and snow evident everywhere, the only thing that stuck out were their orange or black-colored eyes.

Entering the gates, she stepped through and headed straight for the tavern first to get the desired drink.

ChocbreadMarshmallow

As soon as he passed the entrance gate his hopes already started to die, again. "Is this all?", he whispered and his face took a struggling expression, as if it tried to hold on to the smile, as if that smile was the only thing that would keep him from screaming his frustration right here in the street. He picked up his pace, again, rushing onward as his eyes nervously jumped from left to right, looking for a familiar face.

Nothing.

Whoever these people were, they were no Danaan as far as he could tell. He saw no signs of his tribal culture present in the local architecture or clothing, the language he heard was not his mothertongue, there were no songs whose melody he recognised, the air didn't smell like any meal he had eaten when he was young.

"This place is wrong...", he sniveled, his face still fighting to maintain some semblance of a smile which only lead to a pained grimace. He turned on the spot, still scouting his surroundings, though he knew he would not find anybody here. He didn't admit it to himself up until now, but Ilvenath realised that he had hoped too much, yet again. Every time he heard of a place he hadn't been, before, his heart soared in expectation, in bitterest determination, that he would find at least one more name of his tribe - Even if it was a grave.

Now he stood there with no new name, yet again. Only a new place to find work, if at all. He rattled a frustrated sigh, wiped the tears from his watery eyes and headed for the local inn while still struggling against the urge to cry his rage and sadness.

He entered and joined Adelaide. He had completely forgotten about her the moment he entered Fox Bend and was startled for a split-second when he recognised her face. She already had a pint of a dark coloured beverage in front of her when he slumped into a chair at her table. "So, I see you're having a hearty breakfast, already?", he teased half-heartedly, turning his head so she couldn't see his eyes still watering. He nodded to the pint in front of her and asked:"How much for one? I think I could use one, myself."

Ethereal-Star

Adelaide only noticed Ilvenath entering the tavern when he sat down besides her at the bar, nodding his head at her beverage of choice, asking how much one of those cost. She glanced briefly at him and thought she saw some hint of tears in his eyes, although the ice mage had no clue as to why he would be crying. Adelaide didn't ponder over it for long, simply indicated her head at her drink and said, "Two copper for mead, one for ale. Don't know about what else."

Turning her attention back to her drink, she sipped in satisfaction as the liquid went down her throat. Adelaide had to admit the taste of the mead here was better than that in Hyoite, but that was not to say the Hyoite mead were bad, just this stuff appeared to be of a bit finer quality. After finishing one of these, she ordered another one and set about to drink that too.

Just then, a lone person with a hunched back entered the inn. He did not appear to be one of the fox shifters though, but that wasn't what struck her as odd. It was the strange gleam in his eyes, and the words he spoke, exactly like that of a madman. "Beastie..." he croaked in a tight but creepy voice. "The beast! He is near... Best all beware of the clawed one of might and terror!" he stated loudly, other patrons now looking up in bewilderment as the madman prattled on about his 'revelations'.

Adelaide stared at the hunched over man, as he looked at all the patrons in turn, including her and Ilvenath. "Beast! He comes in the night, to eat all in his presence! Some say he is a god! Others say he is a demon in animal form, ready to claw your very eyes and brains out! What is true, I wonder?" He chuckled then as though this were some kind of funny joke, then continued on his insane rampage. "Beautiful, yet terrible monster of the tundra he is! What will you do if he comes for you.... Ahahahahahaha!" the man laughed deliriously, his eyes darkening as though some power rested behind his visage.

Adelaide could only stare in astonishment and disgust at this display. Who let this guy in? she wondered, and before she could think any more on it, the barkeeper interrupted her musings and told both her and Ilvenath, "That strange sod comes here a lot, going on and on about some fierce man-eating beast. Although I myself have yet to see such a beast, others of my people say they have. That it lies in wait, for some dark and mysterious purpose before it will show itself again." He shook his head. "Nonsense, I tell you." Indicating his head towards the crazy man who had just left after his ominous display, the door clanging shut behind him like some drumbeat of doom. "One must wonder how many times he was dropped on his head as a babe." The barkeeper commented, wiping down the counter top with a white rag. "Regardless, pay no attention to him. Though quite the oddball, he's actually really harmless. I wouldn't worry about him."

Adelaide glanced at the door again. For some reason she couldn't guess, the man's entrance had left her feeling unnerved, although the rational part of herself simply claimed the man was not just a madman but a fool as well, and not to worry about it. Still, the ominous feeling inside her lingered a while before it would start to dissipate...

DarkAndar

"He speaks truth," issued a deep voice from somewhere. Upon further observation, a rather burly looking man could be discerned as the owner of that voice, seated at a lonely table at the far end of the room. Trappings bespoke a primitive lifestyle. A variety of animal furs stitched together to form some half-ass barrier against the cruel elements. Hair the hue of a blazing fire slashed down distinctly high cheekbones. Sea-green eyes regarded them soberly. Whatever more insight he was willing to add to his initial affirmation went unspoken. His gaze simply dropped to the meal before him and he commenced eating as if the matter were closed altogether.