Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lone Village [Volecto]

Started by Ahnnie, November 25, 2014, 01:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahnnie

The free village of La'marri. A haven for mages, a place of peace, a sanctuary for all. Kaye almost could not really believe that he had made it here. But he did, and he savored every moment of it. For in coming to La'marri, he was coming to yet another famous place in the world. As a Thanati who was intent on discovering the cultures of other countries, La'marri was probably one of the top places to visit. It was a mixture of cultures in which certain members who desired a more peaceful, non-conflicted life could come and thrive. Kaye looked about the place, thinking that one day in the future, he could move here as well.

He began to enter the village, eager to see all the sights that awaited him.

Volecto

Oakley was lying out in the grass, soaking in the sun and listening to his surroundings. It was a quiet day, as were most days in La'marri. The sun cast down its warm glow and a slight breeze lulled through the air. He brought a book with him, but he finished reading it shortly after finding a relaxing spot. Now, he pondered a few questions resulting from the recent death of his mysterious caretaker.
I wonder who he really was... Was it just a coincidence that we met, or were we forced together by some unseen will? He never shared anything personal with me.
He realized now that he truly didn't know a thing about the old man. He occasionally asked his elder a personal question early in his days with him, but his attempts to uncover anything were quickly denied. He soon learned not to ask those types of questions. Oakley always wanted to know more and research about him, but he feared the man's anger more than he desired for answers. He never even found out his real name! The old man insisted that Oakley call him "Q." Why he insisted on such a strange name Oakley did not know, but he never persisted. After all, Q did give and provide him with everything he needed, including magic lessons once his power manifested. Now that Q was dead though, Oakley wanted some answers. He wanted to know who Q really was and learn about all types of magic.
Oakley got up and decided that he would head over to the library to start his research. He took a few steps before seeing a figure walking toward the town. La'marri was a refuge for mages and other people wanting to live a peaceful life, so it wasn't uncommon to see new people come into town from time to time. This man was different though. Oakley had never seen anyone like him. Usually the travelers came from nearby locations, but this man seemed more... foreign. He had tattoos all along his lean-muscular, suntanned build. Despite being a stranger, Oakley felt a warm presence about him. He decided to greet the newcomer and see what he was up to.
He quickly rushed toward the stranger, calling out to him, "Hey you!"

Ahnnie

La'marri seemed more than just a village. It was like a town in its own right, with paved cobblestone pathways and buildings such as apothecaries, a temple, and a library in one vicinity. You didn't see all that in a village--at least, not most of them. Kaye supposed it was inevitable, though. With so many people settling into it, there was probably a need for services and buildings beyond the local village marketplace could offer. There were also a few good carpenters and architects too, if such an expansion were to be possible.

"Hey you!"

Kaye had not walked more than fifty paces when he heard the young voice calling out to him. Being quite fluent in Common himself, he knew the remark to be one addressing him and turned around in its direction. The voice belonged to a tall youth with short black hair with green eyes. He was not mistaken; the youth had been talking to him, for he was also rushing towards the Thanati-man. Intrigued, Kaye stopped in his walking and answered him back.

"Yes? And how may I help you on this fine day?"

Volecto

Oakley caught up to the stranger. The man looked at him and replied, "Yes? And how may I help you on this fine day?"

A closer look showed that the man had purple eyes and four small studs in each ear. Already this man piqued Oakley's curiosity.

What would bring such a foreign person here? I wonder if he knows anything about magic. Maybe he could help me.

"I came to welcome you. We get a lot of new people here, but I've never seen anyone like you. You must be from far away. What brings you to La'marri?"

Ahnnie

"I came to welcome you. We get a lot of new people here, but I've never seen anyone like you. What brings you to La'marri?"

Ah, so it was out of curiosity that the lad came over to him! Kaye smiled, for he also appreciated the curiosity of others about him as well as being curious about others. He could see that the youth had a special eagerness for learning new things. Otherwise, what would he be doing, rushing out like this and asking him such questions in so forward a manner? To others of a more reserved nature, such a thing might be considered rude. Not so with Kaye! He was a social soul, though not quick to attach, and felt more than flattered that the youth had sought him out like this.

Kaye readily replied, for he was always more than happy to help others in their seeking of knowledge. "Indeed, I don't see many Thanati-men here! I come from Kunata Island of the kingdom of Thanatos. Indeed, it is rather far away, but I undertook this journey because I had always wanted to see the famous village of La'marri for myself. I did make some other stops on the way, but La'marri was the main destination." Then, remembering the introductory customs of most countries in the north, he held out his hand to the youth for a shake. "My name is Kaye Kaohi, by the way. What's yours?"

Volecto

"Indeed, I don't see many Thanati-men here! I come from Kunata Island of the kingdom of Thanatos. Indeed, it is rather far away, but I undertook this journey because I had always wanted to see the famous village of La'marri for myself. I did make some other stops on the way, but La'marri was the main destination. My name is Kaye Kaohi, by the way. What's yours?" He held his hand out for a shake.

Oakley took his hand with confidence and replied, "Oakley. Or Oakes. It's whichever you want to call me." He thought about how newcomers were usually presented with a gift. He bent down and summoned a small clay wolf figurine from the ground. "Here. This is for you. Welcome to the lone village, Kaye Kaohi."

He waited for Kaye to answer. He didn't want to leave the man yet. There was still a lot of mystery around Kaye, and he hadn't found out if he knew anything about magic. Still though, he didn't want to annoy him. He looked at the figurine and, without thinking, blurted, "Magic."

Ahnnie

"Oakley! A most wonderful name," Kaye nodded. After they shook hands, Oakley bent over and produced a figurine of a wolf from the earth. Amazed, the Thanati fortuneteller widened his eyes and watched speechlessly as the boy held it out to him. "For me? Why, I thank you very much! It is well crafted. I am also very honored to be in the village." He held the figurine in his hands and looked it over appreciatively, noting from the feel of it that it was of clay.

"Magic."

He looked up, hearing Oakley's voice. "Magic? Indeed, it must have been with magic that you made this creature. Pray tell me, what sort of magic do you specialize in?" He was growing more curious about the youth the more they spoke with each other and hoped this question wouldn't be too much of an imposing one. 

Volecto

"I specialize in earth magic. It's the only type of magic I can do, but I hope to learn more about all the other types of magic. Ever since my caretaker died, I've been reading everything to try and learn more. I wish to study magic and attempt to understand how it works and why we are capable of doing these amazing feats. I want to know why only some people have the capacity for magic while others do not. Maybe everyone is capable, but many have not realized their potential. I'm hoping that you may have some information on any of this or about even some type of magic to further my studies... I know this is a lot to share with you, given we just met, but I feel oddly comfortable around you, and I feel that I can trust you."

He wasn't sure why he just confessed this to a man he met just moments ago, but the last part was true. He did feel comfortable around this foreigner. He hoped that Kaye would have something to share with him...

Ahnnie

Kaye listened attentively as Oakley told him of his magic. Earth magic -- a branch of elemental magic. That was most intriguing and unique. Kaye had met several elemental mages on his travels, and even fewer in his home nation of Thanatos, for mages were more of the primal magic/soul speaking variety than elemental or anything similar. He himself knew divination through fortunetelling, aided by soul speaking and, on a separate note, entropymancy.

"I am sorry to hear of your caretaker's death," Kaye then said when the youth was done speaking. "And indeed, young man, your ideas and questions--they are very commendable. It is good and well that someone your age is curious about these things." Kaye smiled especially as he also said, in response to the last bit of Oakley's reply, "Well, I'm very flattered that you've considered me so! I am quite the amiable fellow. I'd be happy to assist you in any way I can, really."

Kaye reflected a moment on which one of his abilities could best aid the youth. "Well, lad," he began. "Back home, I take up profession as a fortuneteller. I use my magic to divinate and see through people's futures, although in a more commercial and petty fashion than you'd might expect. I am capable of something more, though. There is a method I use which requires me to speak to the dead...in this way, I might be able to help you find some answers, although not all of them. Is that all right with you?"

Volecto

So this man, Kaye, is a fortuneteller, and he can speak to the dead. Hmmm...

"That is fine! Whatever answers you can give me are greatly appreciated! Magic is such a wonderful and magnificent force, and I only wish to understand it better."

Oakley became excited at the thought of even gaining minimal knowledge. Through all the excitement, a small voice spoke in his head.

Yes. Gain the knowledge! Rule the world! Knowledge is power...

"What? Who said that?"

Ahnnie

"That is fine! Whatever answers you can give me are greatly appreciated! Magic is such a wonderful and magnificent force, and I only wish to understand it better." Oakley's face was the very pinnacle of excitement.

Kaye smiled. "Very good, young man. I agree with you whole-heartedly. Just tell me when you need me to start, and I will." He looked around the village first, scratching a little itch on his cheek with an index finger. "Although, I may want to find some lodgings first. Do you know of any good inns around here?"

"What? Who said that?" Oakley suddenly asked.

The Thanati-man turned toward the boy suddenly, a slightly confused expression donning his features. "Hmm? Who said what?"

Volecto

"Hmm? Who said what?"

Stunned, Oakley looked around for the source of the voice. He had never heard that voice before. Staring intently at the forest, Oakley then remembered Kaye standing there.

"Oh, it was nothing. I thought I heard something..." He quickly tried to change the subject,"So, whatcha wanna do now?

Oakley hoped that Kaye could provide some sort of adventure for him, as he was becoming bored with the mundane life.

Ahnnie

Oakley seemed not to have heard him, looking around confusedly for a while as if to wonder about who--if anyone indeed spoke up--had spoken to him. Kaye waited patiently until the lad remembered him and dismissed the matter as nothing, that he had only thought he heard something.

Kaye smiled. "It's all right."

"So, whatcha wanna do now?" the boy asked quickly.

The Thanati stretched his arms above his head and said, "Oh, I was asking about the location of an inn. It would be best to get that out of the way before we seek any further answers. You live here, yes? Could you direct me to one?" He dropped his arms to his side and shouldered his pack. "We could talk along the way, of course."