Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hope That Starts the Broken Hearts (Gherrick)

Started by Ivory, December 02, 2014, 09:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Eliana had spent her whole life looking for something: freedom.  The daughter of a whore, she had expected to find freedom inside of a coin purse rather than on the arm of a man, and, for much of her life, she'd believed that was where she found it.  Why, then, was she so dissatisfied?  Why, then, was she forced to steal and lie, to sometimes murder, and to whore herself out just to scrape by?  She was as much a slave to the coin as her mother had been to the madame...and for what?  For a lie that she had repeated to herself so many times that she had actually started to believe it...

It wasn't until he was gone that Eliana knew she had missed her chance.  Love wasn't the same as freedom -- the young, naive girl whose heart had been broken in Connlaoth had thought that they were.  It was a mistake she had sworn to never make again, so when she found herself falling in love, she had run from it: she had left him sitting alone in a tavern without so much as a goodbye or an explanation...  He was hardly the first she'd left behind -- and some of them she had truly cared for.

But there was something different about Gherrick, something that had crawled into her heart and warmed it, something that could not be covered with ice.  And that something ached, and no amount of wine or sex could drown it.

She was a damned fool.

Eliana robbed that merchant blind and slipped away in the dead of the night.  She was a woman who had made her own way in the world -- she fended for herself and admitted when she made a mistake.  And leaving Gherrick was, perhaps, one of her greatest.  By the time she reached the tavern in which she had left him, however, he was gone...and even if he wouldn't have her now, even if he couldn't look at her, she needed to tell him how very sorry she was, that she had been so afraid of making a mistake that she had made an even bigger one in leaving...and to thank him for making her realize the truth: the freedom she sought would never be purchased with coin, and she would never find it alone.

Gherrick had told her where his ship was anchored, and it was to his ship that she went.  He was a pirate -- the sea was in his blood, and he would come back to his ship, eventually.  A few words and coins were exchanged with the harbor master, and she could breathe a sigh of relief: his ship remained moored where he had left her, still awaiting the return of her captain.  But what, she wondered as she stared upwards at the boat, was the best way to proceed?  Ingratiate herself with the crew?  (Easily done, she was sure -- pirates were thieves, and she had been slipping in and out of their gangs for years.)  Hire a look-out?  (There were plenty of kids on the docks here; surely, she could convince them for a fair price to notify her should Gherrick return.)  Leave him a letter?  And if she did that, should she ask him to meet her somewhere, or should she just tell him on paper what she had come all this way to tell him in person?

(Soundtrack for this post: Foo Fighters - Best of You)

visualspice

Ah, the sea, the glorious sea. The salt in the air, the sands beneath your feet, and just about everywhere it felt infused by the sun.

He grew up in a place surrounded by such a scene, one that tiered up, around and even sometimes over the ocean. Windevhr islands though, most thought were a dream. And he supposed they now were- and well, it appeared that this place, this time...

This was all his home.

Though as he continued to stroll along the docks, it appeared as if he wasn't the only one lost. And being the gentleman that he was, he couldn't help but always desire to lend the needy a hand. So to the female figure he began to pass, he paused and bowed lightly.

"My lady... it seems you are lost. Are you looking for a ship? I know the Casta-Tonas has just left."
Though he wouldn't mind taking on an extra man, or rather woman, should she have missed her ride. He missed the sea anyways and needed to take a long voyage now more than ever.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Eliana was in the middle of weighing the virtues of each plan when that familiar voice came to her -- not from across the harbor or in passing conversation...but speaking directly to her.  Her fingers dug into and crumpled the fabric of her cloak.

She had been rehearsing in her mind, going over what she wanted to desperately tell him and what she hoped he wanted to hear.  But, he had caught her off-guard...and, for once in her life, she had no words to offer him.

It felt too soon -- far too soon -- to face her shame and embarrassment...

"Yes," she answered softly, although she didn't turn, not yet.  "A ship captained by a man named Gherrick Windevher."

visualspice

He had so many lines ready to flirt lightly with the girl and help her on her way, though when she spoke his name, he began to choke. No one knew him by that name...

Except....
And here he stepped forward to get a look at her face. And his breath caught.
"Eliana?"
And it looked like he too, knew not what to say!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Eliana's nod was slight and, of course, entirely unnecessary.  She regarded him with a soft expression for a moment, unsure of how to begin what she had come to say...but relieved that, at least, he hadn't immediately walked away.

There was still plenty of time for that, though.

Lifting a hand, she gestured to his ship.  "I knew you'd come back here sooner or later."  She cleared her throat softly.  "I was afraid I'd miss you."

visualspice

To say he was surprised was an understatement, though despite how they had 'parted', he was relieved to see she was, well, okay. And at that, he gave her a smile, a genuine smile, which quickly curled leftward into a smirk.

"Did I keep you waiting long?" he asked playfully.

Ivory

His smile made it easier to smile back.  "About ten minutes?  You have good timing."  As usual -- he always had.

Clasping her hands modestly in front of her, she gave him a once over, curious, in much the same way he'd been looking at her.

"Gherrick," she began more seriously.  "Can we talk?  I know you're probably upset with me, but I..."  She took a deep breath.  "I have things I need to say."

visualspice

"Ten minutes?" And his smile naturally blossomed wider across his face. But at her words, his face grew more serious as he shook his head.
"Of course we can talk. I'll always have time for you." And he gestured towards his ship. It would be the most private spot, naturally, since the crew was still out, and well- nobody else should be on it.

He was quiet as he lead her up the gang plank, but all smiles still, and he was excitedly telling her about a few dashing tales about how the ship gained a few scars that they visibly passed. Once on deck, he gave her a regal bow, and upon rising, those blue eyes met to hers.

"This is my ship, my lady. Welcome aboard."

Ivory

El hovered nervously on deck, in spite of his graciousness.  He was doing his best to put her at ease, but the subject matter combined with her senses' disapproval of her being on board a ship made it difficult to feel truly at ease.

"It fits you somehow," she answered with a smile.  Not that she was an expert on ships -- far from it, in fact...  "Look, Gherrick, I wanted to say that I'm sorry.  What I did -- leaving you like that -- it was...childish.  And thoughtless.  And you deserved so much better."

visualspice

Gherrick stared at her for a time, he smile neither leaving nor growing.
"Is that it?" He chuckled. "You came all the way to this port city to apologize?" He gave her a playfully skeptical look. Though if he was hurting, he was being very good at hiding it. But he wasn't one to let others be harmed over him. Even if the hurt was caused by her leaving, he would not let her suffer for it. He could swallow it down. She did not deserve to ever be hurt.

"And who isn't childish? Maybe my breath just smelled too bad. Though I often times chew on mint. Maybe I should go fetch some before we go out to see?" And he gave her one of those smiles of his, but somehow, it didn't fully reach his eyes.

Ivory

Her eyebrows rose slightly in reaction to his joke, but she made no comment on it.  Gherrick deflected with humor in the same way she deflected with sex.

"Of course I did, Gherrick.  I don't usually travel halfway across Serendipity just to say that I'm sorry.  I...care about you.  I think I may have even fallen for you."  Even as she spoke, her tone revealed just how silly she thought it was.  Love -- it was not something she held in high esteem.  And as she spoke, she squared her shoulders, as if she were expecting a physical blow.  "And I panicked, so I ran.  I've never had good luck with caring about people, you know."

visualspice

It was here Gherrick smiled and ruffled her hair, much like a brother would do to his younger sister.
"Really, El, that's too dramatic. Even for you! You don't have to flatter me because you up and left. You did warn me after all," he went on, smiling at her and leaning into his staff, so that his one cheek and side of his body pressed against it.

He could tell this was difficult for her.
It was difficult for him too-
and well, as she guessed it-

The best remedy he believed, was to keep up the jest.

Because if he were to admit.... to admit what she did...

He didn't know what would happen next.

Ivory

El's face was neutral, and it remained that way for a moment before she dropped her eyes to look away from him.  Well, waht did she expect?  She had had her chance.  And she was fortunate he was being as patient with her as he was.  If she had refused to speak to him, she wouldn't have blamed him -- though, in some ways, that would have been easier.

"Well, that's all I wanted to say, Gherrick."  She turned away from him to go.  "Stay safe.  Try not to piss off all of Connlaoth."

visualspice

Well, that's definitely not what he expected. And as she turned to leave, his smile dropped.
"Wait!" And he nearly tripped over his own two feet to get himself between her and the gang plank where she was heading to exit. Panting lightly, his eyes took her in.
"The El I know doesn't apologize, and she certainly doesn't give confessions."

Ivory

Gherrick's sudden appearance in front of her caused her to draw back slightly in surprise.  She blinked away the emotion that threatened to spill, and smoothed her face into a softer expression, one of slight amusement.  "I thought you didn't approve of that woman?"

visualspice

"Not approve?" he laughed. "Never." And gave her a narrowed, playful look as he leaned, once again, into his staff. "I accept everybody. Everyone has a right to free will. Just some..." And he bobbed his head thoughtfully as he looked skyward. "Well, some, " he gave a smile and a shrug as he looked at her. "Just choose a more... unique path than others."

Ivory

They were quickly slipping back into their own banter.  There was comfort there -- an old dance to which they both knew the steps.  "Well, Gherrick," she murmured with a laugh breathed through a sigh.  Reaching out, she lightly smoothed down the collar of his shirt.  "I suppose I can be very direct when there's something I want.  I only play games when I'm not sure of what it is I want or if I'm with a mark.  And, sometimes, that game is to be direct."

visualspice

Ivory

El nodded slightly as she released his collar.  "Yes.  It did."  Her smile remained, as pretty as a sunset, but it didn't seem as genuine as it could be.  "And I've said what I've come to say.  I'm not here to force myself on you, Gherrick -- if that's what I wanted, we'd already be in your room -- or your cabin or whatever it is you call it -- and we'd stay there until I was done with you."

That should have been obvious, shouldn't it?

visualspice

He laughed, and well, he blushed.
"The same Eliana I knew before. But did you really travel so far just to tell me all that, to tease me, then to leave after a five minute conversation?"
His smile broadened.
"Come into my cabin. Though it might not be... quite what you're expecting, I've been told I make a mean cup of tea."