Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The skin trade. [Lion-O!] [M]

Started by Rhindeer, January 08, 2015, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Late at night, a wagon pulled by a woman and a man on horseback, and tailed by four other riders, rolled down the streets of Ketra as it had done many years prior. It was an ominous-looking thing, like the skeleton of some long dead beast: a covered wagon enclosed with iron bars like a cage, which is exactly what it was.

For within the barred walls were a group of eight young slaves, men, women, and children, all huddled together without much space to spread out. A few of them wore strange collars around their necks, and all of them wore manacles, and they were all unmistakably Serenian with their strange-colored hair and fair skin. All street rats she and her men had snatched off the streets.

Gwendolyn, the female half of the duo pulling the wagon, always made sure to sell her stock across borders; it was easier to avoid complications that way, and easier to ensure the slaves did not successfully escape.

Gwen pulled the wagon to a stop before the inn she routinely stayed at, and swung down off of her horse, smoke from the cigarette in her mouth trailing her. Inside the wagon, a couple of the slaves whimpered, and a few were crying openly, as they'd been doing the last few hours. Ugh. So annoying. Gwendolyn rolled her eyes and stepped around to the side of the wagon to bang on it loudly a few times, hard enough to startle them and get a few blessed seconds of silence.

"Oh, shut up, will you?" she said around the cigarette. She plucked it from her lips and breathed a stream of smoke into the wagon as she stared them down. A couple coughs answered her. "Behave yourselves. Good slaves get good masters, remember that. Jessen! Karo!"

The man that had been riding beside her slid down off his horse, followed by one of the men that had been bringing up the rear.

"Yeah, boss?"

"Make sure they're all fed and watered," Gwen said, nodding toward the wagon. "I want them cleaned up for tomorrow. If any of them give you lip or cry or resist, punish them, but don't leave any marks."

She turned to the others. "The rest of you, get the horses taken care of, help these two out, and then you're free for the night. Don't get too wild. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow."

There were murmurs of assent, and Gwen was already heading inside the tavern, because she needed a drink. Hey, she knew her limits! She just didn't trust them to.

And besides.

It was one of the perks of being the boss.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Slavery.  He had no real opinion on the flesh trade.  Everybody had to make their money somehow.  He didn't know if he had enough pride to consider himself above such matters but he soon decided that he didn't.  Pride was for people who had things to lose.

Quinlan had been tracking them for miles.  For slavers they were awfully bold, but he figured that was on account of their leader being rather bold herself.  He knew a bit about Gwendolyn; she was mean and that was putting it lightly.  It was unfortunate that they had to cross paths like this, unfortunate for whom, he couldn't say.

But he had a job to do and Quinlan had no intention of not getting paid.  There was a slave to be wrangled up, and he had to make sure it was the right one.  Boy would THAT be embarrassing.

Quinlan was already inside the tavern when Gwendolyn walked in, waiting by the bar and drinking water rather than a shot of bourbon like he wanted.  Stay cool, Quinlan, stay cool.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Striding inside, the buckles on her boots jingling with her steps, Gwen headed to the bar and leaned her elbows on the counter top.

"The usual?" the old barkeep tiredly asked, as he always did, the same old barkeep that had been working here for Ansgar knew how many years. Since she was a little girl, at least! He seemed to never age; he looked as old and haggard as ever.

"The day I tell you different will be the day your heart gives out from the shock. I wouldn't dream of it, Kingsly," Gwen said.

While Kingsly bustled off to fetch her whiskey, Gwen busied herself with looking around, taking in the other patrons--all potential buyers in tomorrow's market, and perhaps still hungover and willing to spend more than their wives would appreciate. Her eyes landed on the man standing nearest to her, waiting by the bar and nursing a drink--and then her eyebrows lifted appreciatively.

While the other men here were all crater-faced toads, this one...

Well, well, wasn't he easy on the eyes?

She smiled at him, idly puffing out a smoke ring that traveled to him and wreathed his pretty face. "My, you don't belong here, do you?" she asked, taking another long drag on her cigarette. "What's your story?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Didn't belong?  What an understatement.  Quinlan turned to the woman beside him, blowing away the smoke of her cigarette and gave a quirked expression.  His mouth might have even had a grin playing on his lips, but not quite.  It was crooked and curious and he sipped his water slowly.  "And who's to say I don't belong?" he replied.

"I've got as much right as anyone to enjoy a drink."  He grinned and nodded to her, going back to his water, but cursing himself for not saying anything better.  "I'm sure you're here to do the same, yes?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Gwen's smile was lazy as a cat's and just as smug and undeterred. She blew another stream of smoke out to the side, not aiming this one at him.

"Don't misunderstand," she said as she looked back at him. "I don't mean that as an insult. If anything, it's a compliment."

She motioned with her cigarette, sending smoke swirling around. "Considering the company, I wouldn't want to look like I belonged. Would you?"

Lion

"Then that makes two of us," he said and pushed his water away.  He was getting sick of the stuff.  Sure it was as vital to life as blood, but this man wanted something that would burn that dull sensation away.  He was on a job, sure, but that didn't mean he couldn't enjoy himself.  After all, if he could get this Gwendolyn to lower her inhibitions, maybe he could knock her out, take the key and be off before sunrise.

So he put on his best grin, though it was wry and he glanced to her drink.  "So what's your poison then?  I'm guessin something stiff, from a long day's work, and a beer just wouldn't cut it, right?  Hey, Old Man, I'll have what she's having."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Good guess! It's just plain, straight up, good ol' fashioned whiskey," Gwen said, and right on cue Kingsly brought them their rusty tankards filled with the stuff. She picked it up, glancing into the cup to make sure there was nothing funky floating around in the liquid, and then smiled over at Pretty Boy.

"I hate the weak shit. May as well be diluted cat piss for all it does, and it tastes just as bad. This does, too, but at least it does something." She held her tankard out toward Quinlan. "Cheers!"

And then she took a swig of it and sighed as it burned all the way down and spread warmth through her core.

"So, what's your name, Pretty Boy?"

Lion

Pretty boy?  Now this was going to be interesting.  At least now he had an in.  But she was considerably...er, older than him.  Maybe he wouldn't have to go all the way.  And if he did,  Well, he just hoped he wouldn't get so drunk, he'd forget to take her keys.

Quinlan clanked cups with her and tossed back a swig.  He coughed.  Damn that shit was strong!  He laughed and looked at her.  "Damn woman.  Even this stuff tastes like piss.  But it's good," he said and grinned at her.

He stuck a hand out to her to shake.  "Rylan.  A pleasure. And you are?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Gwendolyn," Gwen said as she shook Rylan's hand, her grip strong and firm. Many a person had told her she had a "manly" handshake, and she was fine with that! "But you can just call me 'Gwen', pretty boy."

She took another long pull of whiskey, and it was while she was gulping it down that the door opened behind them and a couple of her men came tromping in. Her eyes narrowed and she set her drink back down, held up a finger at Rylan--"Please excuse me."--then twisted around to shoot a hard glare their way.

"And what do you gentlemen think you're doing?"

The men looked startled. "You said we were free after we finished with the--"

"After you were finished. There's no bloody way in hell you're already done. Get back out there and finish it properly."

With some surly looks and grumbles, they turned and trudged back out. Gwen sighed and shook her head. "Idiots. Ah, my apologies for that. Where were we again? Oh, right, you were about to tell me what brings you to these parts, weren't you? It's a rather shady neck of the woods, to be traveling alone in."

Lion

He to admit, he was impressed with the way she handled her men.  She didn't take any bullshit.  And while he would have admired that quality in any employer of his, he knew it'd make his task of relieving her of her keys all that much more difficult.  Hrmmm, looked like liquor was the only way to go.  He'd just have to think fast and on his feet.  Just another night on the job, he reminded himself.

"I'm a traveler," 'Rylan' replied with a grin.  "Nothing original, I'm afraid.  But I can never find myself able to stay in one spot for much longer than a few days.  But me wandering here....oh, I guess I must've taken a wrong turn somewhere."  He laughed and raised his glass to that.

"Actually, I was looking buy a little merchandise, and sell it in my travels.  I like to collect a variety of things.  I'm not too picky if I see a profit in it."  'Rylan' smiled again and gestured to her.  "And yourself?  A trader perhaps?  I'm only guessing by the efficient way you keep your men in line.  That's admirable.  That's why I prefer to travel alone.  Less people to worry about."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Merchandise, hmm?" Gwen said, her interest piqued. She had never had any objections to mixing business with pleasure--in her trade, they often went hand in hand.

Setting her whiskey down, she crushed her cigarette on the counter to put it out. "You say you're not particular, so long as it's profitable, but I wonder how true that is? I am a merchant of sorts, you see, but my merchandise is living. That's why I'm curious if you have any moral quandaries, or if everything truly is fair game."

She swept the ashes to the floor. "I'll just cut to the chase: I'm in the skin trade. I trade slaves. If you're not picky about the kind of products you collect and sell, I have a number of pretty, exotic things you could fetch a good price for. It's more of a long-term investment, of course. But if you put the right amount of work into it, you can more than double the price of what you paid in the right market. You just have to know your audience."

Lion

Oh, good this was the right Gwendolyn then.  You wouldn't believe how common that name was.  And knowing Quinlan he'd botch the job before it was even started.  And wouldn't that look wonderful on his resume.  He smiled at Gwen, even quirking a brow charmingly at her.

Good, she fell for it.

"Moral quandaries?  I don't think I even know what those are," he said with a wicked grin.  "Say, you got a smoke on you?  I seem to be out."  He wasn't, but he wasn't going to waste a paper and tobacco if he could get it for free.

"The skin trade.  I can't say my hands are exactly clean, myself.  I've dabbled here and there.  But, darling, if there's a profit in it, you've got my attention.  From the look of you, you've come a long way with your lot.  Carrying a few fussy ones, are you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Oh, she liked this one. Pretty, smart, and not afraid of being ruthless. She liked him well enough to sacrifice some of her tobacco on him, even.

Reaching into a pocket in her coat, she produced a small piece of paper, and a little paper package filled with tobacco. She offered both to Quinlan so he could roll his own as she spoke.

"Lord, so many fussy ones," Gwen said, and rubbed her temples at the thought. "You would think after a week or so they'd just calm down and accept things. I keep telling them, it'll only be worse for them if they don't. Why, just in this very city a couple months back, there was a massacre. A bloody massacre! Some brainless girl decided to make a run for it and managed to free all the others, and rather than herd them up and deal with it, that trader had them all gutted. Put the fear back on the market, it did."

She shook her head. "What a bloody waste. I keep telling them, they complain about me, they ain't seen nothing yet." And she took another long gulp of whiskey that started to give her a nice, pleasant buzz.

"At least they're pretty this time around, the fussy ones. It almost makes it bearable."

Lion

'Rylan' took the offered tobacco and nodded a thanks to her, rolling some up in the paper and handing back what remained.  He stuck the smoke in his lips and searched for his tinder in his pocket, but seemed to come up short.  He had it of course, but he wanted to see if she would offer.  Liquor sometimes made a person more generous.

"Pretty ones?" he said with a quirked brow and sipped his own drink.  "I'm in no condition to judge anyone, but I'd never spoil my stock.  They might never want to leave."  He laughed, jesting and grinned at her.  "But there might be a bright side to that fear.  The ones that want to pay, will pay big, because you've got better stock.  Thicken the market, too much competition, less profit.  Make another trader lose his stock, you close in for the kill.  Sounds like a wicked plan to make your pockets heavy with gold."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Precisely," Gwen said with a grin, and pulled her fire striker from the same pocket before handing it off to Rylan.

"And people do pay more for what I offer. You see some traders that brand their stock, or whip them, the fools. There are ways to punish your stock that leave no marks, and people will pay more for the unmarked, healthy ones. Branding?  Ugly and unnecessary. If the buyer wants to brand their slaves, by all means, but I know I wouldn't want to buy something that has someone else's brand on it. And what pleasure house is going to accept whores with whip scars? Unless they're a niche market, I suppose, but it looks trashy. Really, some traders are just lazy and uncreative. They take no pride in their work."

She smiled at the man, expression thoughtful. "You seem to have a keen understanding of this. Have you ever considered going into the business?"

Lion

Quinlan puffed gradually on the smoke and formed a little 'o' with his mouth.  He grinned slyly at her when she posed her question.  "And go up against you in competition?  No thanks," he said.  "I know a wild cat when I see one.  Not that I'm at all displeased."

He drank heartily from his whiskey.  "I prefer to dabble on occasion.  If I stick to one occupation, there's all the ups and downs that come with it.  If I come and go as I please, buying one, make a profit.  I make money without having to worry about the upkeep and damages involved with the trade.  Like you said, some people do in fact have moral quandaries about the trade, and are just as likely to interrupt the grease flow that makes the business so lucrative to begin one.  I prefer to minimalize my chances of being burned.  Too much."

He shook his head.  "But I'm sure you're sick of talking about business.  And from the looks of it, your glass is running empty. KINGSLY!  Fill hers up here!  And mine as well."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Gwen's smile broadened.

He was certainly right about the 'wild cat' bit...

She wondered if he'd let her show him just how much of a wild cat she could really be.

Which was why she was pretty pleased when the topic shifted away from business. Oh, she'd never turn down the chance to talk up her merchandize with a potential buyer, but after an entire day of dealing with business, she was also rather burned out on it. As soon as Kingsly filled her glass, she scooped it back up.

"Mm. You've got a good eye for more than just business, I see," she said, taking a sip. "I like a man that can anticipate my needs."

And she gave him a wink at that, before casually reaching over to brush a bit of ash from his shirt, though it was really more of an excuse to touch him. She made a little, "Huh!" sound, smiling, and pressed lightly on his chest. "Impressive," she said. "You're rock solid."

Lion

[Invasion of personal space, alert! :U]

Quinlan inwardly was taken off guard at the forward motion to make contact with him.  He wanted to laugh nervously and even give a sheepish grin.  'Rylan' however had to play it cool, remember the mission.  And the gold he'd get when he delivered the slave.  GAH!  He still didn't even know which one it was!  Okay, just take a breath.

So he did, and winked at Gwen, taking another drink from the whiskey.  Oh, that burned good.  Hopefully it'd whisk away any inhibitions he might be considering adopting in this moment.  'Rylan' crossed his legs and leaned back, cleaning off what ash remained on his shirt and laughing.  "Why thank you," he said.  "One can't survive long out here with hard travel on a soft body.  I'm sure you understand."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

[Bad touch! Baaaad touch!]

"I understand perfectly!" Gwen said, and only drew her hand away when Rylan leaned back. "This lifestyle ain't for the weak of body or mind. If you're not the wolf, you're the lamb, after all."

She swirled her whiskey in her cup, glancing idly at a passing tavern wench, with her big tits and soft body, the sort that had other men in the place drooling. "I never was a lamb. I think that frightens some people. I don't make you nervous, do I?"

Because if there was one thing she was, it was observant, and she'd noticed--or rather felt, in his muscles--the slight hint of discomfort when she'd touched him. It was subtle and barely there, but like a shepherd that knew how to read his flock, she knew how to read people. Either way, Rylan wasn't the only one hoping the whiskey would whiskey away his inhibitions. Some people could be a little shy or awkward about the age difference at first, or intimidated by her, but with age came experience--and the added bonus that her fertile years were over.

Lion

[Dat menopause doe!  So hot. xD]

Rylan tilted his head at her question and he grinned, clearly amused.  "I wouldn't call it nervous.  It's more like the itch of anticipation.  I guess I'm a little antsy.  I need more whiskey."

He knocked back his cup and slammed it down fro Kingsly to refill and he tipped the man a gold coin.  He took a long drag from his smoke and visibly relaxed.  After all he faced demons and evil spirits on a regular basis!  What was a stinkin' slaver gonna do.  Not to mention far be it from him to NOT want to get laid.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: