Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Playing with Fire

Started by Koga, April 06, 2015, 06:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koga

It was a dark night in the Niahi woods, as was every night. The trees provided complete shelter from the moonlight so it was pretty much impossible to trek through the forest without some sort of constant light source. Wildfire ignited a small flame in his hand. He had spent quite a while in these woods now, about a week or so and he was getting quite used to them. The first time he had traversed these woods at night he was trying to collect herbs, and accidentally grabbed some poison ivy due to the lack of lighting. That wouldn't be happening to him this time through, he had been traveling between the woods and the local village repeatedly for weeks now. He knew these woods almost as well as the Elf who had guided him through them when he first arrived.

Today he was here for reasons different from herb-collecting, he was in search of a monster that supposedly lurked deep within these woods. The monster in question was a demon, whose voice heralded death. At least, that's what the locals said. Wildfire wanted to find out the truth for himself, so now here he was. He was told that the best time to look for him would be at night, since the monster liked to serenade the darkness. Often times villagers who traversed the woods during the night said they could hear his angelic voice singing from the densest part of the wood. It was hard for Wildfire to imagine a demon with an angelic voice, but legends were legends, and Wildfire wasn't going to question them until he knew the truth.

A giant red bird walked behind Wildfire, cautiously looking around.  "You know you didn't have to come with me Fi." Wildfire said to the bird, who looked quite nervous. "I told you I can handle this." The bird looked rather annoyed at the comment, she cawed and angrily ruffled her feathers. "Hey, I didn't say you were scared. I just said you didn't have to come." Then suddenly a nearby bush began to rustle. Wildfire and Fia froze in place, staring at the bush. Then without another word, Fia opened her mouth and cawed out a giant fireball into the bush, burning it whole. They observed the remains only to find that the only creature behind the bush was a small woodland squirrel. Wildfire bursted out laughing, "Oh Fi!" He nearly shouted, slapping his knee. "Did the wittle squirrel scare you?!" Not that he could really blame her, the last time they heard a bush rustling in these woods what came out was a lot worse than a squirrel.

Lazy Rocktime

From within a lonesome and unassuming cave within the depths of the Niahi Woods, Rosario sat crosslegged, deep in thought. Not a sound was made save for his soft, monotone breathing and the occasional sounds of wildlife from farther in the woods. One benefit, he could admit, of his immortal exile was that there was a virtually limitless amount of peace time at his disposal that he opted to utilize as a time for meditation and self-reflection. A normal person would expect that his psyche would be perfectly enlightened as a result of all that meditation, but the tragic reality was Rosario despised solitude and longed for something he knew he could not obtain: a normal social interaction, one that was not disturbed by the fear inflicted by his curse. He had long since accepted the fact that such a desire was essentially impossible to achieve, but acceptance does not lessen the pain that a brutal fact causes. His days were bleak, devoid of hope and rife with lethargy. And as he battled his own depression internally, a faroff sound of flame upon foliage rung throughout the woods and into Rosario's ears. Instantly, his concentration was disturbed. 
Another benefit that arose through his lengthy life was that as the years flew by, he became more and more connected to Niahi Woods. After all, spend enough time in any environment and you become the environment. He had grown acquainted with every little detail of the forest, from the amount of trees to what kind of sound was made at a certain time. If he continued to live for the next few centuries, he might even be able to hear the very earth breathe. But of all the sounds that Rosario kept memorized in his mind, the sound of crackling flames was not one of them. His mind was clogged with questions as he walked silently and calmly to the presumed source of the sound. Who in the right mind would bring fire to the Woods? What was he going to do with them? And arguably the most important question; Would this person fear him like everyone else? Then, just as he begun to ponder the possible answers to the last question, he spotted two figures; one was a fair-skinned man like him, clad in bright clothes and sporting hair of the same shades. The other was harder to identify. On one hand, it definitely resembled a bird, but he had yet to see a bird with flaming feathers and almost as big as the former figure. A single word popped in his mind, one that he heard once in a story told by her lifelong companion, Alyna: Phoenix.  Without thinking, he swiftly and silently took cover behind a tree, blanketing himself in its shadow and keeping a cautious eye on the two. At first, he was confused. So long he remained detached from any social contact that when the opportunity finally came, he was quite unsure of what to do. How was he supposed to initiate conversation?

Koga

The squirrel looked to the giant bird with terror in its eyes and darted up the closest tree it could find. "Poor thing." Wildfire said, still stifling his laughter. "You really scared the nuts out of that guy, Fi." He said as he turned around to continue treading through the woods. When he did, Fia noticed the shadow of a figure move behind the same tree the squirrel ran up, and began to ruffle her feathers fearfully. She opened her mighty wings out wide, and cawed threateningly at the tree. Her 18 foot wingspan made the bird appear even larger than she already was. The red in her feathers began to turn into flames as emotion took over her. "Oh stop it Fi." Wildfire said with authority. He then turned back around to face the Phoenix. "That little squirrel didn't do anything to you!  Just leave it be." But Fia remained there with her wings spread out wide, cawing at the tree. "Fi!" Wildfire shouted, sounding slightly annoyed now. The bird cawed back at him seriously.

It was rare that Fia acted like this, especially over something as little as a squirrel. She must be really frightened... Wildfire thought to himself as he walked over to his bird. Gently, he patted her on the back and spoke softly to her, "C'mon Fi, let's take you home." He started walking back the way he came expecting his Phoenix to follow, but Fia refused to move. She was frozen with fear, not to budge until she knew what was behind that tree. Something was creeping deep inside of her, filling her whole body with dismay. Something evil, something supernatural. The feeling made her feel so crudely uncomfortable, she had to stop it. Fia cawed out one final warning to the tree, almost all of her feathers had turned into flames. Fire grew inside her mouth, and she opened her beak up wide.

"Fia stop it! You'll burn the whole forest down!"

Ren-senpai

Alistair trekked underneath the overarching trees of the Niahi Woods. The path ahead, illuminated by pale corpse light. The way behind, falling back into darkness with every step the young mage took. His crimson hair hung sombrely in front of his face, the colour of which seemingly sucked away by the light he had conjured.

Suddenly, Alistair lost all concentration and his light had dispelled, leaving him blanketed in complete and utter darkness. His eyes of piercing violet darted around searching frantically for the source of his loss of focus. After a minute or so of searching, he realised that he had been hearing the distinct sound of shouting and some kind of screeching. When he slowed down a bit, he began to smell smoke. When he looked closer, he saw something; fire.

Re-casting his light, Alistair diverged from his course and approached the source of the fire, too curious to leave it in any way untouched, thinking to himself, "It's ok, I have all the time in the world to visit libraries..."

But then he began to notice something out of the ordinary. As he approached the fire, he began to shrivel up on the inside from fear. Not the fear of burning to death from fire. Not the fear of being pounced upon by a creature of the night. Not the fear of anything he could see or hear. He was simply afraid. He asked himself, "Is is too late to turn back? Do I really want to know what's going on over there?"

Deep down, young Alistair Rin knew that the answer was "Yes", as it was with all questions he had. But that strange fear driving itself deep into his soul was stopping him. Yet he did not want to stop...

Lazy Rocktime

Rosario was disappointed, but not at all surprised, upon seeing the phoenix's reaction. His aura seemed to have a stronger influence on animals by degrees. What did surprise him was the lack of fear on the beast's companion. Was this a glimmer of hope on the horizon of his bleak life? That same doubt was surrounded by doubt as quickly as it had come. For one, if he revealed himself at this moment, he feared the wrath of a beast such as that phoenix. While he cannot die by normal means, he was not given the gift of regeneration or pain resistance, so he would suffer the flames, but could not burn out. And even if he did gather the courage to reveal himself, there was the possibility that the two would simply run away at first sight of him. It was a perceived loss no matter how he saw this dilemma. He would normally put a lot more thought on troubles such as this, but other pressing matters were at hand, such as the phoenix ready to unleash a burst of flame at his general direction. Not keen on being bathed in fire, he jumped out of cover and let loose a chill wind from his palm, aimed straight at the beast's gaping maw.

Koga

As the wind hit Fia's beak, the fireball within died. The Phoenix cawed with rage; an angered grimace grew on her face as she cocked her flaming head toward the man who cast the spell. The feeling grew as she looked at him, the sentiment of true horror was bubbling within her. She was beginning to feel overwhelmed, for just a moment nearly all the flames on her body turned back into feathers. Wings that were once wide open began to shrivel up toward her back. A look of sheer terror twisted across the Firebird's face. She was scared, to say the least. Too scared to fight at the moment. She wanted to fly far away from here and never return.

"It's okay Fi." Wildfire whispered softly. In truth he was just as terrified, he had honestly thought that Fia was angry at the squirrel. When he glanced at the man who jumped out from the tree he felt the fear overtake his body. Part of him too wanted to fly far away from here, but part of him also wanted to stay. He wasn't sure why, for some reason this reminded him of the Mordecai. They didn't act out of anger, they acted out of fear. Wildfire thought that was almost worse, he did not want to be like them. Then something strange occurred to him: this man was no demon. No, the creature that was creating this peculiar shadow of fear was in fact a human.

Fia looked at Wildfire and saw the fear overcoming him as well. She wasn't going to let him get hurt because she couldn't fight. The Phoenix began to turn her fear back into anger, as she cawed out and her feathers turned to flame. "No Fi." Wildfire said as he pulled his staff off his back and stepped in front of her. He ran his fingers delicately through the flaming feathers on her head and whispered to her, "Not yet." Then he turned to face the man in question, "Who goes there?"

Ren-senpai

"Who goes there?"

Young Alistair Rin jumped at the sound of a strange voice calling out, nearly suffering a heart attack. It did not help that he was already suffering a great fear the unknown, the likes of which had by now broken through the roof. Mentally, he was being sent on a spiral down into despair and physically, he was trembling on levels so high that it nearly hindered his movement.

But inquisitive minds press on, and Alistair was of one such mind; so he did press on, in spite of his fear. His fear of the unknown. His fear of the unseen.

In an effort to perhaps make the fear go away, or at least to suppress it, Alistair conjured and sustained a light of a golden and bright hue, illuminating the area around him and quite literally bringing his surroundings to a whole new light. But alas, his efforts to stymie the pure, unadulterated dread had ultimately failed.

As he neared the site of the smoke and fire, sweat began to form on his brow. "This is logical, yes... there's smoke and fire, and it's going to get hot. Of course I'm sweating right now...", he though to himself. He managed a small chuckle and then gulped, slowing his approach towards the site of the commotion.

But then he stopped; for he had seen it. Was it horrible? No. But it was, indeed, fear-inspiring. Was it a monster? Perhaps. A wolf in sheepskin. Would it horribly and viciously maul him to death? It might. He would never know from simply standing around...

Lazy Rocktime

Rosario lowered his hand, relieved that the danger of a phoenix's wrath had been averted, but it was not over. The attention of its owner was, for better or worse, directed at him. The red-headed man with fancy robes did not appear immediately hostile, but he knew first hand that demons can hide anywhere and everywhere, so Rosario treaded with caution. He heard him call out "Who goes there" at his direction and he wondered what the best course of action would be. Talking to him would be a pleasure he had been denied for centuries, but at the same time, he could not bring himself to truly trust this person. In the end, he decided to try and to talk to him, consequences be damned.
" I am the one people wrongfully call demon. Do you mean harm to me?", he spoke, his voice coming out as a bit more stylized and enchanting than he'd like.

Koga

Wildfire felt a chill crawl up his spine as the mans' voice entered his ears. Everything about this creature was terrifying, just being near him filled both Wildfire and Fia with near uncontrollable fear. But why? What was it about this man that made him so fearsome? He looked like an ordinary man to Wildfire, could he be a demon? Wildfire hadn't had much experience with demons, but this didn't look like any of the ones he heard about in the legends.

"Do you mean to harm me?"

This couldn't be a demon, no. The legends were wrong! This man was just as afraid of Wildfire as he was of him. Still, Wildfire remained cautious. "We don't wish to harm you, we've just come to see if the legends were true..." He called out, yet his grip tightened on his staff. "But.. if you're not a demon then, what are you?" There was no denying the dark aura of terror shrouding them. This man may not be a demon, but he was definitely no ordinary man.

Ren-senpai

By the time Alistair had neared the source of the smoke and flame, it was already gone, replaced by a chill that hang in the air. Finding a tree behind which to hide himself, he then pressed his back up against the trunk and listened in on the conversation.

"I am the one people wrongfully call demon. Do you mean to harm me?"

When the voice of the nearby terror had reached Alistair's ears, his breathing became heavy and uneven. Yet, he had no idea what scared him so. There stood a tall, pale man with dark hair with no evil in his eyes. Only terror.

"We don't wish to harm you, we've just come to see if the legends are true...", called back another voice. "But... if you're not a demon then, what are you?"

At the point that the second voice had reached the word 'demon', Alistair's main instinct was to keel over in fear. But to do so would be to reveal himself, for better or for worse. And as curious as he was about the state of this so-called 'demon', he did not want to die quite yet.

Lazy Rocktime

This crimson-haired figure feared him, he could see it in him, but his inquisitive nature trumped his own fear. Rosario was genuinely delighted and impressed, his lips curving into a subtle smile to prove it.

"Indeed, I am not a demon. I am a human, though I am not quite like you. I have been cursed with immortality. As such, my body endures forever, never to sicken or age. " he explained. Rosario silently hoped that his explanation was satisfactory. He did not want to remember the details concerning the origins of his curse.

Koga

Wildfire lowered his spear just a bit, trying to get a better look at the mysterious man. Though the mans' voice filled him with dread, somewhere deep within him, Wildfire knew this being would bring him no harm. He placed the bottom of his spear on the ground and looked over to man. "Then we wish you no harm." As scared as Wildfire may have been, he wasn't going to attack this man blindly, and to be honest he wasn't even sure if he could defeat him in his current state of mind. This fear was so enchanting it made Wildfire just want to keel over and die, who knows what it would do to him in the face of battle.

"What is your true name then, friend."

Lazy Rocktime

My true name. Now that got him thinking. Long has it been since his name escaped his mouth. No one had asked for it until now, so he never saw it fit to remember his name. And now it put him at a loss. The predicament amused him somewhat, bringing a smile to his lips. "It has been far too long since I have spoken my name out loud. Thus, it has evaded my memory for quite some time," he muttered in a sad tone. "but I of course know what I want to be called, so until I remember, call me Rose."

Ren-senpai

"Curious...", thought Alistair to himself. A curious name for a curious man.

Indecisive as to what should be done, yet driven to the brink of insanity by his curiosity, a trait that he was sure would be his downfall, Alistair's prime instinct at the time would be to poke his head out from behind the tree he was using to hide himself and observe the two more closely. Normally he would act a little bit more outgoing, but what can one do when staring directly into the face of pure dread? And so he slowly looked around the tree and, in a rather shaky tone, called out, "H-h-hello...?"

Koga

Wildfire heard the words, but nearly couldn't believe them. How could a curse do something so fowl and wicked to a man? He thought, but then he supposed that that's why they were called curses. "Forgive us, for our intrusion Rose." Wildfire said, as he put his staff back onto his back. "We did not wish to harm you, we merely came to see the legend of the forest." he continued, nervously scratching the feathers on Fias' back. This poor man, whatever kind of curse this was caused him to carry this burden of terror with him wherever he went. Wildfire could only imagine how painful that must be to ones soul, especially when you can't even die. Every person who met Rose surely must have ran from him at first instinct. Wildfire wasn't going to do that tonight.

Then, he heard a second voice call out from the shadows.

"H-h-hello...?"

Wildfire looked, and saw the face of a man peaking out from behind a tree. Immediately, he rekindled a flame in his hand and looked over at him. "And who are you!?" Wildfire wasn't sure where the man came from, he was too distracted by Rose to even notice his presence.

Ren-senpai

As Wildfire reignited the flame in his palm, Alistair panicked, trying his best to raise a barrier to block the flames. This did not go so well, however, since his mind was divided; one half trying to defend himself, and the other, focusing on profusely begging Wildfire not to torch him. "Please, please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeease, don't burn me alive!", pleaded Alistair as a shimmering, transparent wall arose and dropped before him in almost perfect sequence. It seemed as though he was trying to conjure miniature versions of the very stars above, and while he could not maintain his shield, it was certainly spectacular, if not a little disconcerting to the eyes and mind.

When he finally gave up, he instead chose an alternative path; to retreat behind the tree once more and let out a small squeal. Rose's presence was not at all helping with the dilemma.

viestrus01

As the girl walked through the darkness of the forest, she kept on hearing noises in the distance, so far off in the distance that she couldn't make out much of what it was. Though it did sound vaguely humane.

Carrying her basket full of herbs, she pressed on, collecting more herbs as she walked, thinking of those noises as just other people from the village nearby arguing. If that were really the case, then that'd be something she wouldn't want to step into.

Unbeknownst to her however, is that while she's gathering herbs, she's actually walking closer to the source of all the commotion. Upon hearing more noises, she stopped, her wisp following suit.

Okay. That definitely was human.

Finally deciding to investigate, she cautiously walked towards the source of the commotion. When she caught sight of what's going on, well... to say that she was surprised would be an understatement.

Erynies could only stand there as she saw a familiar face, along with some others she's never seen before, looking like they're just about ready to brawl.

Lazy Rocktime

Rosario had remained silent to assess his surroundings, as well as the two 'intruders' before him. Judging by the panicked reaction, the new figure was not a friend of the firewielder's. And even out of the corner of his eye, he spotted yet another person, a young elf girl. What's more, there wasn't even a hint of fear in her behavior. Impressive. A total of three people at his doorstep. This could not be mere coincidence. Greater forces must have had a hand at this. People have effectively eluded his sights for 500 years. Why now, of all times, was his silence broken? Could they have been servants of that wretched demon, sent to take care of a loose end that was Rosario?!
He took a deep breath. What was he overthinking about? He should be happy that for the first time in what seemed like forever, amiable people were in his presence. It was a moment to be thankful and welcoming, not to be judgmental and suspicious. With another deep breath, he smiled the best smile he could manage.
"Please forgive my apprehension. Oh, how I would like to be more confident, but I fear I may deter you as I have deterred others before...."
Damn it. That was not what he wanted to say at all. He took another deep breath. Let's try again.
"May I ask for your name as well, Mr. Fire-Wielder?"

Koga

The Fire Mage lowered his staff, and shared a confused glance with Fia. However strange it may have been that this man had showed out of the blue in the middle of all of the commotion, he was definitely not a threat to them. At least not in this state of mind. Roses' curse left this man near incapable of fighting... He thought, while glancing over at the squealing tree. What a powerful curse this was, to lead widespread fear throughout all who entered its' vicinity. This man, who obviously had some pretty powerful magic, was left defenseless, hiding behind a tree. The Flame-haired boy shrugged, "You can come out." He put his staff on his back before, and looked at his hands for a moment, cursing himself for jumping straight to violence. "I'm not going to hurt you." Then, he turned back to face Rose, and while doing so noticed a very familiar face.

"Erynies!" Wildfire shouted while waving his hand at the Girl. A smile grew across his face, despite the fearfulness of the situation. Oh, how good it felt to see a friendly face right now. The Mage laughed playfully, before looking back to Rose.  "Oh, sorry that's not my name." He said, still laughing, though with a bit more terror behind it this time. "My friends call me Wildfire."

Lazy Rocktime

This man grew more interesting the more he spoke. Rosario could see that he was a pleasant man to be with, judging by his unyielding hospitality in the face of what might as well be fear itself. It was wise of him to doubt his doubts.

"Wildfire...a strange name. Do take care not to live up to your namesake here," he jested."And that elf girl...is your friend as well?"