Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wolves Are Not Meant to be Caged

Started by Zero, April 14, 2015, 09:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Not for sure, no. They talk about it a little, and I catch scraps of their conversations, but soon enough. Mostly they talk about us, which of us they think will be the most trouble, which they think will bring in the most coin." He sighed, it really was a toss up for him on whether or not knowing or not knowing was better. Tobias wasn't looking forward to being auctioned off like a damn cow, but on the other hand, anything that got him out of this filthy cell might be worth it - at first.

His eyes roamed over her more intently and obviously then before, studying her entirely. The idea of her doing something to make herself less pretty wasn't really a great one. Those slavers were counting on her looks - much like any of the other females - and they would become angry if she damaged herself. Plus now that he really looked at her, Isaura was a very pretty woman. Her hips were on the smaller side, but her slender waist and ample bosom certainly had their appeal. Nice coloration too.

Shaking his head he looked away, not really wanting to focus on whether or not his new, strange little companion was attractive or not. It didn't matter to him. He wasn't like those men that had tried to rape her, and frankly, she didn't seem like she'd really know a great deal about lust or desire. His eyes probably would have popped out of his head if he could know her thoughts, though. Not that she was strictly wrong - some slavers did breed slaves like cattle, although most thought pregnant slaves and infants weren't worth the trouble.

"I always liked animals too." Yes, he hunted and fished to feed himself, but Tobias had always had a good deal of respect for the things he ate. More now than ever, possibly. His voice was very low as he softly confessed, "I'm a werewolf."

Some were appalled when they found out, some were positively terrified, some called him a monster, but he honestly didn't think there was much that Isaura could do or say that would really get to him at this point. Being locked in a cell waiting for auction was about as low as it could get. The slavers knew what he was, but those that shared his cell did not - they'd probably have tried to kill him if they did!

TreeFolk

"A werewolf." She let the word sit in her mouth a bit, then repeated it. "A werewolf..." She tried to think of any time she had encountered a werewolf before, and then nodded her head solemnly. "Ah, yes, I met a werewolf once. He tore the heart out of the eldest son of the family I served." She didn't say which generation, or how long ago it had been. She thought it must have been something like three-hundred or so years ago.

"He deserved it though. The werewolf was a cousin of his, whom he had set up a trap for. The werewolf cousin was once a normal man, but he was in love with the eldest son's betrothed, so the eldest son tricked him into getting turned to a werewolf. The cousin killed both the eldest son, but he could no longer be with the woman he loved. He, too, was killed for killing..." She ruminated on the topic a moment longer. "I have seen the emotion you call love do many awesome, terrible things."

She gripped the collar around her neck, staring up at the ceiling, contemplative. "I suppose I might bring in a good price, if they knew what I was. I do not know if this culture has Fylgia, though, so the knowing of what I am might not hold meaning for them."

Zero

Tobias actually cringed when Isaura told him that she'd known a werewolf that had torn the heart from someone she'd served. He knew that he had torn hearts from the chests of men. Very bad men, but they had still been men. His wolf didn't seem to think more of killing a person than it did of killing a deer. Maybe that wasn't fair, to his knowledge his wolf had never harmed someone that wasn't bad, or without good reason. Who knew what unspeakable things he'd done while mad, though?

"Love..." He gave her wry look at her observation on the subject. "Yeah, love can be pretty amazing and can also make people do terrible things. Although people that do terrible things in the name of love are usually just not great people to start with." At least from what he knew. Before he'd been turned, back when life was normal and the world made sense, Tobias had been sweet on a girl in his tiny village. At the time he'd thought he was in love, but honestly he wasn't sure he even knew what love really meant. Besides, he was a werewolf now. Not only would any sensible woman run screaming in the other direction, but he didn't think he could really do that to a woman. Life with a wolf would not be easy at all, he thought.

"Can't say I've ever heard of a Fylgia myself, but I've always been a simple man - not really even educated beyond very practical skills. I was taught to take care of myself, but things like reading and writing weren't exactly essential back home." He wasn't the least bit ashamed of his lack of education either. "No idea what I'm worth, probably not a lot."

TreeFolk

She wasn't the least bit bothered by his being a werewolf. Actually, she would probably dislike him if he hadn't been... If he had killed the people he had killed, while not being a werewolf. But then again, perhaps he would have taken a completely different path and wouldn't have killed others. And if he'd gone down that other path, he would probably not have been around to save her... Time and fate were certainly funny, fickle things.

Sensible would not be a word to describe Isaura. Certainly she was wise and knowledgeable, but wisdom and knowledge did not replace common sense. In fact, she probably wouldn't be entirely confident in wanting common sense, if she had the choice. Being common at all would be an unfathomable, and disdainful concept to her.

"Men have not always known the written word, and while it has done good, it is not necessary. Both the educated and uneducated die the same, when the time comes." She rested her chin in the palms of her hands, her eyes roaming the cell as she spoke. "I tell you this, because I am in debt to you, and there may come a time when it will be important that you know what I am."

"Fylgia are a type of guardian spirit, connected through an animal... Or some argue we're demons. We are tied to the male bloodline of a family, and must serve them. We disrupt the flow of time, really. Waylay death to those who heed our portents of death."

She sat back and pressed her back against the wall, turning her face against the wall, her finger nails tracing the cracks. "I'm unsure if I'm still a Fylgia, now that I am in a physical body." She looked at him, unsure of how he would react. Fylgia were respected in the culture she came from, but fear was the dominant reaction she encountered.

Zero

If Tobias had never become a werewolf he probably would have never traveled more than a day away from the village he was born in, and would probably be both a husband and a father by now. A long time ago, it seemed, that had been the life he'd wanted. Anymore thoughts of love or family were just idle fancies that he really couldn't afford or indulge in. Not that he'd disliked most of his life after becoming a werewolf. Traveling all over the Draconi Forest, living off the land, there had been a certain appeal to it.

"You really don't owe me. I just did what a decent person would have done." Not exactly true, even good people usually remained little more than bystanders most of the time. Not that he was going to point that out. Instead he listened intently to her describe the Fylgia, not quite sure what to make of them at all. "So you see death? I don't know if I would want to see, and if you see anything about me just keep it to yourself, yeah? I don't want to know when or how."

No he really didn't! That kind of knowledge just seemed like it would drive a person crazy. "As for being a demon, well I don't guess you're anymore a demon than a man that turns into a wolf..."

TreeFolk

Her fingers continued tracing the cracks. "People fear death, and things they fear they hate and believe are evil. Demonic. But, not all that is to be feared is evil." She looked at him, and she gave him a half smile. "I suppose you know quite a bit about that."

"It's a bit more than seeing it. Yes, I see the deaths of others, and I see the deaths others have caused. But I also bring death, or did. Indirectly, mostly. I prevent a death, but cause the premature death of an unknowable other, because things must be balanced." She stared down at her fingers, clasping them together, feeling an uncomfortable heaviness in her chest. She did not feel the need to describe to him the times were she had directly caused deaths. The times when she had been summoned to command the blood rage, and end the lives of those directly threatening the family members.

"On a brighter note!" She chirped, a sound vaguely like that of a cat, "I cannot read you much at all. This either means that your death is very, very far away, or it means I am unable to tell of your death because of what you are." The smile vanished from her face and her face stilled, her chest visibly moving at her deep intakes of breath. She stood quickly at the sound of guards and slavers yelling down the hall, opening cell doors. Was this it? Were they going to be sold?

Zero

"Yeah, I guess I do. At least, I like to think I'm not evil." His voice had gone very quite at that, keeping his eyes off her as he tried to absorb the knowledge she was throwing at him. She could see the deaths that people had caused. Tobias couldn't help but cringe at that. If she had seen what he'd done, how was it she could still stand to even speak to him? It was hard living with himself knowing even a hint of what he'd done. It was a very weighty feeling of remorse and regret for violence he couldn't even remember. Well, he knew what the wolf had done, but still remembered nothing of his time as a beast.

She made a peculiar chirping sound, reminded him of something feline. Wouldn't that be something? Isaura had said she was connected to an animal, hadn't she? A wolf and a cat, hanging out and having a little chat. Her declaration about his death either being far away or simply unreadable was both a relief and not. If it was far away, well then he had nothing to worry about. What if she just couldn't fortell the death of a werewolf? Also, how long was a long time, exactly? Fifty years for fifteen hundred?

Tobias might have commented, but his train of thought was interrupted by shouts and the wrenching sound of steel doors scraping against stone as they were opened on heavy hinges. He wasn't nearly as quick to stand and observe, having to drag himself up using the bars, and even then swaying on his feet with a wave of dizziness and feeling light-headed. It was hard to tell, since there wasn't a good view, but he'd guess four or five cells had just been emptied.

"I guess they've started. There are so many of us, this must be the largest auction of the year. I wonder how long it'll take to move us all?" It was a rhetorical question, really. Just an idle pondering. With a groan he twisted and slid back to the ground, exhausting what little energy he had. His stomach was roiling slightly, like he wanted to be sick, but nothing came. "I don't want to go through this again." He whimpered softly.

TreeFolk

Isaura did not sit back down, but neither did she move over and away from Tobias, even if she wanted to try and get a good look out of the cell. She was not a fool. It was clear that she was only being left alone because of Tobias, and she had already told him that she would try to avoid having her body taken. She most likely wouldn't be able to do that without his presence.

She felt her heart hammering, her ear lifted towards the noises, her fists clenching and unclenching on the insides of the coat sleeves. As their fellow cell block mates were herded and prodded past their own cell, she was assaulted by the deaths that would come for them, that had been caused by them. Her entire body shook under the weight of those visions, and she too felt sick. The boat ride had done nothing to make her become used to being around so many at once, especially since these individuals were far more likely to die sooner than others.

She could hear Tobias' words, but they came only distantly, muffled by the ringing in her own ears. As a fully actualized Fylgia, she had been able to pick through the important deaths, to control them. But now she was seemingly open, raw, overflowing with the harsh knowledge of what would come for all those around her. Even when Isaura had accompanied the Aruds into battle, she had not been so open to the deaths.

If her body had wanted tot give out, it wasn't able to, her knees locking into place. She stood stiffly, swaying, until each slave had passed. True, she could not tell every death, could not see all they had killed, but she saw and felt many. And for the first time, she felt emotion with it, feared that her lack of control was caused by that emotion. She could feel and understand the emotions behind some of the deaths, and it sickened her. Anger, fear, hatred, sadness, guilt, perverse happiness...

When the last of them had passed, and the fear of their own cell being emptied gone, Isaura felt her legs unlock and her body give out. But the ringing still persisted, her hands curling around her ears as she brought her knees to her chest and buried her head against them. Silent, her chest heaving as she tried to remember to breath, tried to stop herself from releasing the welling scream in her throat. Nothing mattered to her in that moment, and if there had been some other disturbance in their own cell, she was none the wiser.

Zero

Tobias could only sit with his eyes closed and listen to all the noise. The sounds grated on his ears and he felt the soft growls vibrating in his chest. How he wished it was quiet. His mind was in turmoil and he needed to think. Had it not been for the grounding presence of the strange girl beside him he might have even gone into a panic. Instead he merely huddled on the ground, trembling softly as his head swam in fear and illness. It seemed to last forever, but it had probably only been several minutes between when the sounds began and when the sounds began to fade.

Isaura seemed to collapse beside him, prompting brown-gold eyes to open wearily. She didn't look good. Not at all. Feeling a bit alarmed, Tobias managed to lift himself out of his mental haze enough to command his body to move. It was an awkward gesture for him, not sure how she'd really feel about him taking the action, but he put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her gently against his side.

"Hey, hey...it's okay. You're going to be okay." He said softly, trying to be comforting as she was obviously in distress. Tobias didn't know what exactly had set her off, but that didn't matter. "Don't lose it on me now, kid. I can't go back to being stuck alone with this lot." Now that the actual moment of auction was so close, he couldn't stand the idea of being stuck here alone, with not a friend in the world - and right now Isaura was the closest thing to a friend that he had.

TreeFolk

Isaura kept her palms pressed to her ears, eyes watering, head hammering, pressing her head hard against him as soon as he made contact. Squeezing her eyes tightly shut, her toes curling and uncurling against the floor of the cell, she focused as hard as she could on the vibrations of his deep voice, on the heavy beating of his own heart. She half felt like she was going to lose consciousness.

She nodded weakly, fervently, as she began to recognize the sounds of his words, trying her best to show that she was acknowledging him. That she could hear him at all. As the ringing abated, she finally opened her eyes, the lines around them showing the strain of the action. She offered him a tight smile, her hands loosening only marginally around her ears, not as if that was keeping the sounds at bay... They were not audible. "It just..." She swallowed heavily, shaking her head and trying to clear it. "It just hurts more than usual."

The sudden lessening of the visions found her entire body relaxing from the tension, causing a physical tremble to move up through her body. Her eyes closed again, exhausted, her own heart still hammering like a hummingbird in a cage. But his contact was welcome, grounding, and she gave him another grim smile. "I imagine we look awful." She released a large, shuttering breath, forcing herself to bring her hands down away from her ears.

Zero

When she seemed alright with what he'd done, Tobias wrapped his other arm around her, hugging her gently. He still didn't know what was wrong and hadn't a clue how to help. Finally, after a tense wait, she managed to speak, but he didn't really understand any better. What hurt? He didn't know. It would probably be rude to ask, and as long as she was going to be okay he supposed it didn't really matter. Since Isaura didn't say anything about it, Tobias left his arms around her, it felt good to hug her, honestly. The gesture was comforting him too.

He chuckled softly. "Yeah, we probably do. Don't care, though. You better? Gave me a little scare there." She finally took her hands away from her ears, and she seemed to have relaxed some. That made him relax a bit. Although he noticed that there seemed to be more wailing than normal coming from both their own cell and those near them that still had occupants. Knowing that the selling had started must have set a number of those waiting off. The air was thick with the stench of fear.

They were also getting rather malicious looks. Particularly from the two men that Tobias had chased off of Isaura, but there were more giving them predatory looks now. Despite their low whispering he could hear their conversations.

He wasn't even using the bitch, what did he care what they did?

They were all going on the block soon, who knew when they'd have the chance again at a good piece?

The giant freak didn't look so tough.

It sent chills through him. How many of them could he hold off if they decided to ambush them in their sleep? As weak as he felt he wasn't even sure how he'd managed to knock just those two around the night before. Maybe they wouldn't get the guts to come at him if they wouldn't have the element of surprise? "I don't think we should both sleep tonight. I didn't make myself popular last night, but you sure are."

TreeFolk

Isaura was almost positive that she had never been hugged before... At least she hadn't been for the five years she'd been in a physical body, and certainly not for the 2,000 years she had been a spirit. She had often watched on in curiosity at the gesture of affection between others, wondering what it meant and how others felt when experiencing them. She was certain that they weren't often exchanged in the kind of situation they were currently in, but she didn't care. It was her first hug, and that was what mattered to her. She decided she liked the sensation, and understood now why some did it often.

A smile, one which felt genuine and different to her, lifted the corners of her lips. She nodded. "I am... There was just a large influx of death leaving." She sounded concerned, as she added, "It doesn't normally hurt."

Her eyes followed his to glance at the men, noting their aggressive stares. She made eye contact with one of them, her face betraying no emotion, unblinking. "No, you are not. I was surprised when they did not act on their intent to try and kill you last night." She turned her eyes back to Tobias, "I think if I had slept longer, they might have." She tucked some of her stray blonde hair behind her ear. "It would certainly be best to keep an eye on them. The bigger one does still have a day left to live..."

Zero

"I'm sorry it hurts you, but it's only going to get worse." If the other cells being emptied had hit her that hard he could only wonder how bad she'd be affected when their turn came. She'd be pressed in closer in around all the bodies and images of death then. Tobias hugged her a little tighter for a moment to try to give reassurance. She sounded worried and that just made him more worried. At least worrying about her took his mind off worrying about himself.

A dreary sigh escaped him as he pondered their predicament. Being slaves was bad enough, being raped and killed was worse! "They hadn't worked up the nerve to make a move. Now they'll be more desperate. Maybe we should take turns sleeping tonight, or take turns napping today, then we can both stay awake and ready if they decide to get bold." Things like this had never happened to him before being turned. Nobody had ever wanted to kill him in his sleep before.

"What a string of rotten luck." He grumbled softly as he finally let go of Isaura, folding his arms across his chest and scowling in a rather intimidating way in the direction of the troublemakers. "Tell me about working with dragons." It was a rather abrupt change of subject, but he really needed something to take his mind off of all the bad things going through his head.

TreeFolk

"Sleep throughout the day is a wise decision. It will prepare us for whatever is to come." She knew what he had said was true about things only getting worse, but that was something to worry about later. There was nothing she could do to control the pain, or to prevent it from happening, other than to prepare herself by resting as much as possible. She only hoped that when the time came, that she would at least be able to walk to wherever they were made to walk.

She wrapped her arms around her knees when he broke the contact, resting her chin on her knees. "Dragons... At least the kind I worked with, are very strong creatures, physically and mentally. They are very opinionated, and are not afraid to let you know what they think. Most people do not know how to read them, and so that is where the problems come from."

Pulling one hand free, she gestured lazily, "The dragons I worked with bonded with people, but often they are forced into bonds with incompatible people, because people assume that they can own dragons. My job was to match individuals as best as I could with dragons... Though I do not like the feeling of matching dragons with people who mistake their companionship for ownership."

Zero

Tobias relaxed back against the stone wall, brown eyes falling closed as he listened to the sound of her voice. What she had to say was interesting enough, but just hearing a friendly voice talking was soothing to him. He wondered who should take the first turn to sleep. As tired as he was, he still wasn't sure that sleep would come easily knowing that people wanted to kill him.

"I've heard stories about the Kaadir. I don't think they're like some of the dragons that are around here. Still would be nice to see one, I think. Maybe if I ever get out of here I'll go to Essyrn, just to see them." He's never wanted to leave Adela before, like most of his countrymen, Tobias had always thought his homeland the greatest on this earth, but after being enslaved twice, well, maybe a change of scenery would do him some good.

His deep brown eyes opened to peer over at Isaura, studying her quietly for a few moments before speaking, "Why don't you try to take a nap. I know you were awake for a while before me. I'll make sure those cowards don't bother us."

TreeFolk

Isaura nodded, a small smile lifting her lips as she closed her eyes, "It is certainly warmer there." She pulled his coat tighter around herself before scooting in closer to him for his warmth. "Though you are already very warm on your own, so you might find it unpleasant."

When he suggested that she sleep first, she did not argue with him. She was feeling very tired and drained, and her head was throbbing from the earlier onslaught of death. Resting her head on his upper arm (for she was far too short in comparison to rest it properly on his shoulder), Isaura settled in. "Wake me up when you are ready to sleep. I see well in the darkness, so I do not mind staying up at night." She closed her eyes, and after the last bit of adrenaline drained from her, she felt her body give in to sleep.

Zero

"It gets warm here in the summers, probably not as much as there, but I think I could handle it." Tobias shrugged slightly, but didn't really know. Having her cuddling against his side made him shift slightly, getting comfortable and allowing her to share his body heat without complaint. Nobody else was going to look out for her, or look out for him, for that matter. Right now they were kind of in this mess together.

"I'll wake you when I can't keep my eyes open anymore." Truthfully he had good night vision as well, a byproduct of the wolf. Soon Isaura was asleep and there was nothing else for him to do but sit quietly and listen to her breathing. Mainly his eyes remained closed, but occasionally he would open them to glare silently across the cell where the troublemakers were. Sometimes he caught them staring in their direction, malice gleaming in their eyes, but as soon as they realized Tobias was looking at them they turned away with scowls.

He let her sleep, forcing himself to stay awake so that she could rest from her earlier ordeal. There wasn't likely to be time for rest later. If he was tired, weak, and vulnerable during the auction that was alright. The slavers would be present and would break up any trouble if necessary.

TreeFolk

Isaura woke after some time, surprised to see the cell cloaked in darkness. She noted that she was still wedged against Tobias, but was not bothered by it. Yes, she was trusting him very quickly. Despite her knowledge and wisdom of what happened in the world, her knowledge of how it went on was still fairly inadequate. Meaning that she was extremely naive when it came to the behaviors of others. To her, it just happened. Knowing the motives or emotions behind behaviors wasn't something she'd learned yet, which made predicting the actions of others difficult for her, unless they were planning on killing another individual or taking their own life.

So trusting Tobias came easily for her, and her own behavior was partially her own and then again, a bit of a mimic of how others behaved with those they trusted. She'd seen women press close to men they trusted, and so this was her way of mimicking that action in the hopes that it would bring her closer to understanding it... She didn't know a lot about the sexual relations of others, and didn't suspect that the actions of other women might be motivated by such inclinations. Not that Isaura was pressing against him suggestively, but that it was within the realm of possibility for her to do so without understanding the meaning. Knowing that things happened, and knowing the typical situations that they happened in, was completely different to why they happened.

And so she was utterly perplexed as to why he had let her sleep for so long. It was not to his benefit to arrive at market exhausted and worn down, and it also worried her that he was essentially the body which could stand and defend them against their other cell mates, particularly the two scowling men. Being exhausted would do him no good if they chose to attack in the middle of the night. Whispering up to him, she stared into his face. "You should sleep. I prefer being awake at night anyways."

Zero

Tobias really hadn't put much thought into Isaura's motives for taking to him so quickly. It didn't bother him to have her nestled against his side while she slept and he watched over her. They were in a horrible situation, she was cold and frightened, and he had probably been the only person since being taken to show her even a shred of kindness. Maybe he made her feel safer, most people like to cling to what security they could find. He wasn't a genius, just a simple hunter. It wasn't in him to ponder in depth about something that he didn't find troublesome to begin with.

She slept for a long time, but he forced himself to remain awake, no matter how tired he grew. Finally she stirred against him and he looked down at her with an easy smile. Some might have found it creepy the way she could stare, but Tobias simply stared right back, brown eyes glowing softly with a hint of amber. "I don't mind being awake at night, as long as I'm not dead tired. Which I kinda am. Did you sleep okay?"

Even as he kept speaking Tobias settled as much as he could, head falling to rest on his chest as his eyes closed heavily. Never in his life had he been so exhausted as he was now, but he was still worried about falling asleep. Isaura would wake him if the others looked like they might make a move against them, he was sure, but it still made him uneasy to surrender to sleep when everything in him screamed that he was surrounded by danger.

TreeFolk

Isaura stayed up through the night, her eyes easily seeing in the darkness. The night wore on, but the men didn't make any moves. In the silence and stillness, it was clear that they were just as fearful as the rest of the prisoners in the cells. And that was what she knew better than most, that all men were just men. She had never known true evil, nor true good, just men reacting as they must in order to survive. Some knew how to do it better than others, and those were the men who were considered good.

The night was always darkest before dawn broke. Always coldest, too. She distantly remembered a time when she had seen men struggle to tame their demons during such an hour. She could remember men at sea battling to maintain their sanity against the unending night, men abandoned and without hope amidst the sands, and men who fought through the night to see the sunlight once more. These memories, she knew, came from a time before her indentured servitude to the Aruds, because these memories were of places cold and merciless.

During this time, she knew the men would try their luck. This was the time men were most vulnerable, most desperate. It was when she was at her strongest, and it was during the short handful of minutes before the dawn that she felt her old powers return. The first time it had happened after she had become mortal, it had only been for half a minute. Now she had command for just over a minute.

And so when she felt the moment overwhelm her, she stood and silently stepped over Tobias. The men rose to meet her, spitting at the ground by her feet. Gray eyes flashed black, and her voice came out in a dark whisper, one which sounded more like the piercing cold wind over the tundra, than it did her own soft, feminine voice. "You will both die soon." The words she spoke struck, not a threat, but with certainty. "You, Karim Fallos, will die at the hands of a guard named Jareth Heron, who you have wronged. His dagger will strike you down before the sun has reached its peak once more." She turned to the other man, "And you Rand Ilros, will suffer the more. Before the moon has waxed again, you will be bought and sold as a beast to fight, and will die like a beast." She could feel her power begin to wane again, but she took hold of the moment. "And for the ill will you have bore me and this man, neither of you will travel to the lands of the dead for one-hundred years yet. You will have no rest, no freedom, no peace. You shall serve me if the time shall come, and only then will you be released from your bonds."

She felt her power leave her again, like the last bit of water being sucked down the drain. The men, pale and quaking, backed towards their portion of the cell. Isaura returned to her position behind Tobias, again weak and vulnerable, mostly defenseless. As the sun rose, she began to hear the doors of the cells a few down from theirs begin to swing open. He had only had a few hours to sleep, but she gently shook Tobias to wake him. "I believe our time is coming."