Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winds of Change [Liooon!] [M]

Started by Rhindeer, April 16, 2015, 02:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

It was a blustery, clear night at the beginning of spring, the wind cool but dry--and blowing pollen all around. Definitely not Jayari's favorite weather. It left her all sneezy and made her nose red and runny and eyes all sore, but just as she did every year, she bore it, even if it made her a bit moody.

And even moodier still that such weather had to occur when he would be here!

Ki'adan, prince of the White Wolf clan. Argh! It had been ages since she'd last seen him, and while Jayari wasn't normally big on vanity, there were exceptions! This being one of them, because the guy was fine. And that was a while ago! What would he look like now, even older--and no doubt handsomer and stronger?

Those were the thoughts running through her head as she braided her hair into their many small braids and fixed the beads and feathers woven into the strands. She checked her reflection in her mirror (one received from Essyrni traders passing through when she was a child) and scowled at herself. Her eyes were all puffy. Gods, why! She sniffed, hoping to clear her sinuses, took a cloth and dipped it into her wash basin, and pressed it to her eyes to try to bring down the swelling.

Dammit, weather, work with me here! I'm trying to make an impression! A positive one, that is.

Shit. What if the guy had a wife?!

Pushing the thought away, Jayari tossed the cloth aside and checked herself out once more. Aside from the red eyes, she thought she didn't look bad! She'd go so far as to say she looked pretty good! She had dressed up for the occasion, in garb befitting one who was both a warrior and heiress--though she had also made sure to choose the most attractive of her riding clothes: intricately embroidered breeches, clean leather boots, and a brightly patterned deel, topped off with a fur cap to keep her ears warm in the cold. It hugged her form snugly enough that she was sad to wear a coat over it.

Still, all things considered, she thought she looked pretty damned good!

Strong! Attractive! Confident! Yes! That was her! She looked like the sort of woman a man would leave his boring wife for, runny nose and all!

With a wink and a grin at her reflection to help keep her confidence bolstered, she rolled her shoulders back, grabbed her quiver and bow and sheathed her hunting knife, and strode out of her yurt, closing it up behind her.

The moon was bright tonight, lighting her way as she slipped away to fetch her mare, Zala, who seemed a little grumpy to be woken at such an hour, but who accepted it nonetheless with her usual patience. Part of her knew she shouldn't be going out alone this late, but it would be nice to meet up with him quietly at first, as prince and princess of their respective tribes, without the pressure of their parents--and their old grudges--bearing down on them. And so she had honored the request--and gladly, because she didn't mind being alone with him at all!

She lead Zala out quietly, and only once they were a safe distance away did she mount her and ride. It wasn't a far distance, and was still within her tribe's territory, and it wasn't long before she reached the broken tree that marked their meeting place, an old, massive thing that had long ago been split by lightning.

And it was there that she dismounted and waited.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Sniff.

Ki’adan eyed the distance across the planes, from where he was toward the lone hills far off toward the west.  This was not his home, he told himself.  Not anymore.  This was not the world he belonged too…and were it not for his father’s illness, he would not be back here.  If Dujarik expected him to take over the clan when he passed on, he was a fool.  Dujarik was always a fool!

Ki’adan growled to himself, feeling bitterness seep into him over such a stray thought.  Oh, but it could not be helped.  Dujarik would never see the forest for the trees, he would be blinded by the petty squabbles of small clans and never see there was a whole world so much bigger than these Plains of his. No, this was not his home.  And the first chance he had to leave, he would mount his horse and be as far as those lone hills.

And leave this foolish world behind him.

Inwardly he scoffed. 

He was here now however and there was nothing he could do about it.  Well, of course there was, but it was unbecoming of a man like him.  He did not run away from his obligations – the obligations that he cared about that was.  If Dujarik wanted to solidify an alliance with the Banyur, then  that was on him.  If he wanted to secure an alliance through marriage, he had another thing coming!  Ki’adan sniffed indignantly, to think his father would still try to par him off as if he were nothing more than cattle.

In fact he told Dujarik that very thing.  But no, he’d protested, he simply wanted to test the waters of alliance on equal ground.  Ki’adan had no intention making sure such a thing happened.  The Banyur were pig-herders if he ever saw one, and the White Wolf clan could do better…  Bah, what was he doing, he who wanted nothing to do with this stagnant life, and here he was passing judgment on who was or wasn’t good enough for the likes of his tribe?

Ki’adan mounted Akidu, the black stallion that he had since his youth, and looked over the horizon.  Unlike civilized men, Duhjari learned to see better at night, and their arrows could fly further and with greater accuracy in the dark than all the archers in Adela.  And at this fact, Ki’adan actually grinned, finding something to be proud of in his heritage.  By moonlight he could see a rider headed his way, and he could see the braids flying in the wind.

Akidu snorted and chuffed.  He nudged the horse into a canter and raised his arm as the rider approached.  He wondered if Jayari still had gangly legs and bucked teeth.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Jayari crossed the distance between she and Ki'adan on foot, leading Zala along by the reins, And as she walked, her heart pounded. Something about this felt all forbidden! Secret meetings with the prince of her tribe's former enemies! It was like the first verse of an epic ballad. She contained her excitement as best as she could, though, and reminded herself that thrilling or not, she still had to be careful. It wasn't long ago that another tribe, the Akara, had preyed on her. Unsuccessfully, but it still could have gone very bad.

But the Akara were still rivals. The White Wolf clan was a friend. At least tenuously. Still, a little caution was healthy, even though she felt she had nothing to fear from Ki'adan. She remembered him from when she was younger, and that was the memory she carried in her mind--along with all the childish feelings of awe and puppy love that came with a young girl's memory.

She hadn't been the warrior then that she was now, but she had been on her way.

"Ki'adan?" she finally said when she was within speaking distance. Wait. Shit. What was she supposed to say? She had not planned that part out! Something smooth and suave! Quick! She came to a stop and peered up at him.

"Heeey, long time no see! Looks like we're both a bit bigger now, huh?" she said with a grin, and wanted to kick herself. Or maybe have Zala kick her.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

JAYARI???  THE JAYARI?? The same skinny Jayari with the nappy hair and gangly legs? It was hard to believe and when she approached he found himself staring at her, at a temporary loss for words.  She was not how he remembered her, in fact he was quite pleased to be disappointed.  It probably wouldn't show in his face however, as his eyes gave nothing more than a half-lidded glare.

After a long moment of heavy silence, before he too dismounted and presented a hand before her, clasping her wrist in greeting, and he smiled at her.  "You certainly have grown." And he made sure his grip was strong on her wrist.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Oof. Well, that fell flat on its face. Jayari felt heat rise to her face, and was glad for the darkness as she reached out and clasped wrists in greeting, her own grip firm rather than dainty. Oh man. Had she just made an ass of herself? But he was smiling! That was a good sign! Right? And dammit, but he had a good smile...

"Hah, yeah! All grown up and fighting Adelans!" she soldiered on as she released him, puffing up proudly. Hopefully he hadn't noticed her brief lapse in confidence. "It's good to see you again, truly. I didn't think you'd ever come back. What changed?" She paused. "Uh, if that's not too forward of me."

Lion

That smiled faded out when she posed her question.  But it should have been expected.  Their clans had been rivals since even when Ki'adan was a small child, and here a new age would come between them.  Not that it mattered since Ki'adan had no intention of staying here.  This was no longer his home after all. 

But he forced that smile back on and even chuckled lightly.  "You fighting Adelans?!  Your father would risk his only daughter in the face of such fierce combatants.  I think it's safe to assume then that he taught you well."  He eyed her bow and arrow and massive hunting knife.

Ah, yup, now that was the Jayari he remembered.  His eyes stayed on the knife for a lingering moment.  "I came back because my father is not well."  That was perhaps not the smartest thing to admit, but it wasn't as if it could remain a secret for long.  "I have...been away for many years.  I was not sure how my return would be received.  It seems you and I are not the only things that have changed."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

For a moment, Jayari beamed beneath his praise. Oh, she was confident and she knew she was good at what she did, and she worked hard to get there, but that didn't mean she didn't enjoy compliments! Especially when they came from someone she admired. But it was short-lived, for soon things shifted to a darker topic, and Jayari's face fell.

"Oh." She grimaced. His father must be very unwell for him to return after so long, then. "I'm sorry to hear that, and pray he'll recover."

Awkward, awkward! This was not the conversation she wanted to be having right now! "I'm sure he's very happy to see you, though! And, I mean, well, I'm sure everyone else was, too! No matter how long you're gone, family's family. And speaking of family, things haven't been so bad lately between ours." She mustered up a smile, playing absently with the hem of her coat.

"My father was actually pretty excited to hear you were back. I think he still has hopes, if you know what I mean."

And Jayari patted herself on her back for that one. Master of subtlety, that was her!

Lion

Ki'adan looked up at Jayari at her suggestion.  Well, that certainly got his attention.  How could Aharu be happy that he's back?  And, unable to help it, he was certain the Chieftain had some sort of ulterior motive for such a feeling.  Perhaps he wanted him to come back so that he could give his father some sort of early demise!  And then who would be in charge of this alliance?  His sister?

Ki'adan inwardly scowled and shook his head of it.

Instead he flashed her a grin and laughed.  "Hopes for what exactly?" he asked, baiting her.  "Are you sure you don't have some hulking warrior at home that you're promised to, just waiting to thrash me if he catches wind of us being out here?"  He laughed again and nudged her teasingly.  "I'm sure once you flourished, Aharu already had plenty waiting in line for your hand."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Hook, line, and sinker!

"Aaactually!" Jayari said, tossing her braids over her shoulders totally nonchalantly. "As it so turns out, I don't have anyone! Oh, sure, there's a line up and all," she added with a wave of her hand and roll of her eyes, as though it were nothing but an everyday annoyance. "But there's terms, see. I got pretty tired of father trying to set me up, so I made a deal with him and tricked him into making him think it's his idea. I don't marry anyone until they beat me in a sparring match. Only a person who can do that is worthy of my hand. If they can't beat me, they sure can't rule beside me."

She grinned up at Ki'adan and placed her hands on her hips. "No one's beat me yet. And they won't."

Lion

Ki'adan grinned, mostly from her haughtiness.  She was just so so...SO JAYARI!  Well, maybe she physically changed, but she was the same old scrapper from before.  Woe be to any man that tried to make her his wife!

If he were interested in fighting, he was certain he could have her on the ground in less than thirty seconds.  But seeing as they were here, he didn't want to stand around talking all day.  "I'll have to take your word for it.  We're not here to fight, after all, lest we start another war," he said, though he grinned smugly.  "How about a good night hunt?  That's something I certainly do miss."  Hunting animals that was, not people.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Ohhh, I really wouldn't mind sparring with you like at all if that's a thing you ever wanted to do," Jayari said while kicking a loose rock, already imaging them rolling around together all sweaty and dirty and him all shirtless.

"But a hunt works for me! Sounds great!" she quickly added with a look his way, fighting hard against her own excitement, because she didn't want to look too eager even though she was bursting with it! After all, this just meant more time to hang around him and get to know him--and it was an opportunity to impress him! She could talk all day long about how awesome she was, but that meant nothing without proof to back it up.

Realizing she was still staring at him, flushed a little and turned quickly toward Zala. "Right! So, the hunt! Haven't been on a night hunt in ages. Are we taking the cooperative route, or do you like some friendly competition?"

Lion

Ki'adan's grin only widened. He laughed and snatched his bow from the saddle and pulled his quiver, strapping it to his waist.  "Friendly competition?" Oh she couldn't be serious.  Sure, he wouldn't doubt she had plenty of combat prowess.  But if she thought she could best him in a hunting competition, she had another thing coming.  He shrugged, amusement genuine.  "I don't see why not? But don't start crying when I beat you silly, gufu head."

And, like a giant child, he ran off toward the trees just off in the distance.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Gufu head?! I was gonna go easy on you to preserve your ego, but it's ON now! No mercy!" Jayari said with a laugh, snatching up her bow and quiver. She left Zala to graze; the mare never went far and came when called, and it was safer for her than tying her to a tree, in case predators came.

Then she was off, racing after Ki'adan through the trees, though she slowed once she caught up to him and began to move more cautiously, careful of where she put her feet. She had this one in the bag, she was certain! Ki'adan didn't know this land like she did, and she knew where all the rabbit runs were.

Of course, she was hoping for something bigger than rabbits. A deer, now that would be way more impressive!

And as she crept along, she paused and crouched, checking a small scattering of dung.

Well. That was a happy coincidence! It wasn't absolutely fresh, but it wasn't that old, either.

"There's deer around here," she whispered, just loud enough for him to hear. "And it's mine."

Lion

Ki'adan had been hunting for all his life.  Jayari would be putting that dung where her mouth was!  He crouched low in the longrass, when she pointed out the markings and he nodded to her.  "We'll just have to see about that!" he hissed as she went on ahead of him.  Oh, she was good, he watched her step lightly for a moment, and his eyes lingered on her ass.  He grinned.

There was rustling up ahead of them.  And in the dark, Ki'adan could make out the direction was to the right of them, moving quietly through the brush as the deer foraged for something to munch on.  As they moved, each going in their own direction, Ki'adan kept to the rear, and could see the deer much more clearly through the trees.

But it seemed the deer was much more alert than they both might have assumed and jumped at the sound of a cracking branch.  Ki'adan scowled at Jayari - though it had been he that stepped on the branch.

He put an index finger up to his lips.  When he approached Jayari, he hissed into her ear.  "Let's make this more interesting, shall we?  Loser has to strip naked and jump into the river!" he laughed again and bounded off after the deer as the animal sprung swiftly between the trees.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Jayari returned Ki'adan's scowl with a scowl to match, because she knew that hadn't been her! She didn't think. Crap.

Still, his dare turned her scowl into a smirk, and she let out a snort that was meant to be a laugh rather than laugh outright and spook their quarry more than it already was. "Hope you packed a change of clothes!" she whispered to him right before he bounded off, because if he was going to tromp around like that, it would be an easy win for her!

With pride no longer the highest stake and better stakes on the line (like, the stakes where she wanted to see him naked, dammit--she didn't care if she had to strip down and freeze, except that wasn't nearly as exciting), she let him take off and followed behind at a slower pace, crouched low and stalking like a predator. She didn't follow directly behind him, either; she veered off diagonally, hoping to cut both deer and Ki'adan off short. Slow and steady. Let Ki'adan spook the deer right into her arrow's sight!

Lion

And the hunt was on!

Ki'adan crouched low in the ground, stalking the deer more quickly than Jayari, but he figured he could gain on it and take it down faster than she could.  For the moment, he had to remind himself that he was not hunting slaves, but an animal that had greater sensitivity to the world around them.

And even more so at night.

He had learned in his years of hunting to keep his step swift and light, never to put ones full weight into it, more slam your heel into the ground. Avoid leaves when possible and  stick to the trees. When Jayari veered away from him, for a moment he watched her gait, that posture he had spent years perfecting.  And though Duhjari were master hunters upon horseback, they were no less competent on the ground.  He could see that practiced stride in her step.  One that could easily be underappreciated by all the years of her youth.

And maybe her ass too.

He didn't know how long he'd been staring at her, but when he saw the deer run out from the corner of his eye, his head snapped back into attention.  And their quarry quickly moved out of his shot. He cursed inwardly. No more distractions.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

While Ki'adan spent more time observing her than the deer, Jayari was the picture of focus. She goofed off plenty and didn't take much seriously in her day to day life, but once she caught sight of the goal or was presented with a glorious incentive, she became a different person. She wanted to win. Impress Ki'adan, show off a lot little, and get a show out of it? There was nothing better! The person that wanted it most would win this, and she wanted it a lot.

She came to a stop behind a clumping of sage and took a moment to wait, patient and motionless. She hadn't seen the deer yet, but if she'd telegraphed its progress correctly, it should be heading this way; Ki'adan was still behind and off to the side, so she didn't think it would have changed directions--ah!

It trotted into sight, its tail up and alert like a flag, its ears erect and eyes wide and alarmed. It knew it was being hunted and it paused, sniffed the air, rotated its large ears. Moving as quietly as she could, Jayari raised her bow and lined up her shot, aiming through a small gap in the sage.

Lion

Her ass could only prove to be so distracting. Now his sights were set on the kill and he aimed for it to be his.  Not only to run it in Jayari's face but because he was a hunter and could not be satisfied with anything less than a perfect kill.  He was a little ways behind her and even farther away from the deer.

The animal was alert.  And when the arrows flew, the deer bolted and the arrows ibtersected, missing by mere centimeters. But already Ki'adan was on the move.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Her arrow flew, but another arrow flew with it, and the deer bolted away unscathed. Jayari hissed a curse under her breath and shot a look at Ki'adan from over her shoulder, mock-glaring at him.

Had he been aiming for reals, or had he just sabotaged her kill? The butt!

It wasn't too late yet, though!

Lurching to her feet, she bolted forward and retrieved her fallen arrow, and was then on the move, sticking her leg out when Ki'adan drew close to try and trip him up!

Lion

It pretty much worked, except he tumbled on top of her and he growled in frustration, before scampering to his feet and running off. Damn her if the deer got too far away.  He ran between trees, weaving swiftly and stepping over a fallen log, and barrel rolling over to another.

Already, he notched his arrow and pulled the bow string back, the sharp snapping, fwiiip! of the weapon darting through the air.

And hitting another tree.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: