Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Forever Endeavor [Moonie]

Started by Zane, April 22, 2015, 04:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zane

"Ah, no. About two months earlier, Uncle Ben had come to me and asked if I have considered marriage, I told him that I hadn't. We didn't speak of it again until last month, when he told me that I was getting married to 'a young, eligible noble woman'. I didn't know your name until three nights ago when I demanded it." Liam was the kind of person that spoke with his hands, like gestures and motions helped him to better weave a history together, better solidified his arguments. "Now Ben, for as long as I have known him, has believed that marriage should be done of duty, not of love, which I consider to be very ironic considering the very loving relationship he had with my aunt. He wouldn't tell me the name because he really didn't think it mattered. Because the marriage was going to happen regardless. The only thing that I really had a say in, was that the wedding was the morning, and the feast was in the evening."

Liam watched Julia as he spoke, trying to gauge her reaction to his answer. Then followed with a question question of his own. "If you don't mind my asking, what was your initial response when you were told you were getting married?"

Zero

Liam hadn't even been told her name? Julia's eyes widened at that. Like Ben, her father hadn't thought details about her future husband important - only his name. She had been told quite excitedly that a marriage had been secured for her to the heir to the Sinclair family. Truthfully she had only made half-hearted inquiries about Liam upon learning of her impending marriage to him. Her father only waved off her questions as being unimportant.

"Resignation." Julia answered honestly and without thought. Which she immediately regretted, bringing up a hand to her mouth and eyes widened once more. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean any offense. It's just that I've always known that my husband would be chosen for me. I was surprised to hear it would be you. I had thought it would be someone, well, closer to Ravensway, but my sister was married to a lord in Northwatch, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised."

How embarrassing! Yes, it was an arranged marriage, but she should still show some enthusiasm towards the union. This man was going to be her husband for the rest of her life. Resignation! Honestly, what had she been thinking? "I had another question. I, um, I hope this isn't out of line, but when you were told you were to be married..."

Oh dear she was having trouble bringing up the words she wanted to even use! Actually she wasn't sure she wanted to know. "Ah, well it isn't uncommon for young lords to..."

Sucking in a breath she forced the last words out, "Was there a girl?"

Zane

Liam laughed and shook his head, "No, no. There wasn't a girl. After growing accustomed to like within the Sinclair Estate, I started training for knighthood. I accomplished that last year- as you can see by my armor -and have since been learning about the family business. I haven't honestly had much time to consider a relationship. And in truth, the other real female influence I have had since moving here is the Head Servant in Manor Stead, Allison Crawthorne. She's.." he paused, trying to find the right words, "an interesting person, you'll see what I mean when you get to meet her."

Leaning forward and fixing Julia with a quizzical look, he asked, "Where you sweet on anyone?"

Zero

"No, I have never been sweet on someone. My parents made it quite clear to me from a young age that I was to have nothing to do with boys until I was properly married, and that my husband would be picked out for me. For my own good, of course. They said that attempting to find my own husband would be disastrous and that they would know better who should take care of me." Julia looked down at her lap where her hands were tightly clasped. She lowered her voice to an embarrassed whisper. "Truthfully I think this is the first time I've actually been alone with a man that wasn't related to me."

What would he think of that? He'd probably think her a mindless dolt that only knew how to do what she was told. Which, she thought glumly, wasn't so far off. Julia didn't have much of a backbone, certainly not when it came to her parents. She followed their rules to a letter and never caused trouble. Her mother told her that obedience was a good trait for a wife, though.

Zane

"It seems many Lords share that sentiment." Liam had been about to ask her more about her life at home, when a large bell sounded. Liam held his hand out to her, "Come on, time to go take our place at the feast."

---------

The Courtyard has been set up with several large tables, all laden heavy with food and brew. There was also a dais erected with another table, this one with place settings, enough for Liam and Julia, Ben, and the brides father Arther, as well. People were encouraged to eat and mingle, become gluttonous and and drunk. They were also encouraged to address the couple, though no one had yet done so. The honor table was offered the first of any platter set out. When they'd had their pick of it, it became fair game for all. While Ben was spinning the first of what was sure to be many tales that night, Liam had helped himself to a bottle of Pinot Noir from the Torva Winery and a cut of lambchops seasoned, breaded, and fried so it had a nice crispiness.

"...And that's how I got the Torva Trading Company to finally make a deal with us, opening up trade in Connloath. Now The Late Lady Torva, gods rest her, may have been a bitter old crone but damn if she didn't know how to make a deal! The rising lady of that family has got some shoes to fill."

Liam quietly displayed the bottle to Julia and nodded to her glass, a silent offering. He didn't dare try to talk over Ben, but he'd heard the story too many times to care. Ben spoke of the Torvas like that were a respected rival long beaten- which was greatly stretching the truth of it, they were still the trade giant of Connloath. But that was neither here nor there.

"Now I want you two be aware, there is a likelihood that a drunken mob might carry you two off so the both of you can consumate your marriage, happened to me at my wedding." Lord Sinclair cocked his head over to Lord Vasile, "You were there, weren't ye Arther? Yeah, I remember you shoving Karen into the room after me then slamming the door!"

Zero

In a way Julia was quite relieved to take his hand and hold it all the way to the feast. Perhaps she didn't know Liam Sinclair, but for the moment he was the only one that she felt was truly sympathetic to her anxiety and fears. After all, he'd admitted himself that he hadn't any say in this union either. That he seemed very genuinely interested in getting to know her, and seemed to be trying to help put her at ease certainly didn't hurt either. Yes, so far she thought that she could learn to get along with Liam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sitting on the dais, once again at the center of attention, had Julia on edge. She did her best to hide it, smiling and politely laughing where appropriate. For the most part she didn't touch much of the food. Still not sure she trusted her stomach not to turn on her from anxiety. When offered wine, she nodded, waiting for it to pour before doing her best to sip it slowly and to not let her hands tremble and give away how badly she wished to be somewhere else.

Ben's last story had her pale, smile faltering and eyes widening. Julia had been trying very hard not to think about the wedding night. She'd been convincing herself for weeks that she was prepared to fulfill her wifely duties, but honestly the idea of being so intimate with a man she didn't actually know, regardless of a ceremony that said they were man and wife, frightened her quite a bit.

"Yes, I remember! What a wedding that was, but I think this one has been quite befitting my precious girl. I am thrilled we could come to this arrangement Ben, only the best for ours, right?" Her father's words did little to reassure her, she'd basically been sold to Liam like cattle, but she already knew that.

Rupert Vasile, youngest of the five Vasile children and notoriously spoiled brat, heard the story too, which gave him ideas. Used to being the center of attention, this whole wedding nonsense had been driving him mad. What was so special about Julia today? She was still boring old Julia! He couldn't understand why she had to get all the attention today, or the past couple weeks as wedding preparations had been intense at home with dress fittings and being told what to do and expect.

So, armed with this new fascinating information, especially after seeing his sister's reaction to it, Rupert started making the rounds to the various tables, looking for the most drunk and obnoxious guests and sowing the idea of ushering the newly weds out of the party. Once Liam and Julia were gone he could get all the attention like he should have been getting to begin with!

Zane

Liam politely refused an offer for a dance from one of the Ladies who's been invited, he didn't recognize her, nor did he care. He had two left feet regardless. The noble went on to find someone else to dance with as another platter was brought up, ham steak and yeast rolls. Liam grabbed some for himself, and some for Julia. "You should try and eat something. Nerves or not. You've not eaten a thing all day and you will probably find sleep hard fought on an empty stomach. And who knows, maybe part of the reason you are on edge is because you are hungry." His words were quiet, for her only. But the sharp eyes of Lord Sinclair didn't miss the action.

"Look at that, eh?! You see Arther?! I told you he would be a great match for her! Look at him! Taking care of his wife like a proper husband!" Ben's tone was aflutter with amusement and admiration.

Now it was Liam's turn to talk, to partake in the banter that so often dictated noble politics, "It's called being a decent human being, Uncle! Caring for the welfare of all besides oneself! As a businessman, you should give it a try! I'm sure it could do wonders on your public image." Liam smiled while he spoke, so the joke of it was know. And he was rewarded with the intended response, Ben broke down in laughing.

"Right! And a wit as sharp as 'is sword! I tell you! Right philantrapist this'un is!" Ben went on to recount a tale when Liam had paid for some Connloathian refugees to stay in the nicer of the taverns within the Sinclair Fief. The knight couldn't help but note the slurring becoming all the more prevalent in his speech.

"Mind the wine" Liam offered the advice to Julia while both the Lords laughed over the ever changing story of the moment, "It's deceptively strong."

Zero

Julia lowered her head slightly, focusing on the table as Liam gently encouraged her to eat. He was probably right, of course. Although she wasn't sure yet if sleep would come easy or hard tonight. On the one hand she was in a strange place, married, and overall overwhelmed by everything. On the other she felt exhausted. It had been a very long, stressful day. Drinking wine on an empty stomach was not a good idea, though, so she forced herself to pick at the food put before her. She was sure it was delicious, but she honestly couldn't taste it very well, it all might as well have been ash in her mouth as she tried to ignore her father and Lord Sinclair as politely as she could muster.

Lord Vasile regarded the newlyweds with a smirk as Ben and Liam bantered. "A son-in-law of mine would need a wit sharper than a sword, but it does a father good to see that his little girl is going to be well taken care of and I'm sure such care will be given to all aspects of their new life. Like my grandchildren - I expect many." Arthur did not slur his speech at all, seeming to only be sipping small quantities of wine rather than indulge. That he would be leaving, along with his wife, three sons, and daughter-in-law, in the morning might have something to do with his restraint.

Julia blushed at her father's talk of children, but didn't look up from the roll she was slowly tearing apart with her fingers. Some of it even went in her mouth, but a fair amount of it just ended up in little crumbles on her plate. She wasn't trying to be disrespectful or to ignore Liam's plea for her to eat, she just had no appetite.

Rupert was still mustering a small mob, putting ideas in tipsy and drunken heads. A ceremony and feast was all well and good, but Liam and Julia's real party was for after they left the guests to be alone for their wedding night.

Zane

Liam was ignoring the two lords with some great effort. In truth, he wasn't ready for the wedding night himself. Something about sharing a bed with someone he hardly knew was unsettling. He'd much prefer to get to know Julia in a meaningful and personal way before coming to know her. While focusing on ignoring the banter between the Lords and trying just a little of each platter brough before him (as well as encouraging Julia to try a little bit of each platter) he didn't notice the group of people gathering behind the dais, quickly forming into a mob. He was made very suddenly aware, when they grabbed the legs of his chair and pulled it and him off the dais.

Pulling, pushing, grabbing, dragging. They even dropped him at one point. Drunks were, after all, terrible at coordinated movements. After about three minutes of hustle and bustle, Liam found himself tossed- literally tossed -into one of the bedrooms. The sound of stifled shrieks told him that Julia was right behind him. The knight quickly collected himself, if she was getting the same rough treatment he got, the he was intent on catching her as she would likely be tossed into the room after him.

Zero

One moment Julia was very intently ignoring everyone and everything except Liam's gentle coaxing to try things as the platters were presented, and the next found herself lifted from the dais by rough and clumsy hands. Her first response was terror and panic, not sure what was happening. When she realized Liam was also being dragged and herded it did little to stop her cries. Although she realized as they passed through the house what the drunk fools were doing. Not that it helped to know.

It was difficult to really see anything through the crowd, but she saw Liam disappear into a room ahead of her, and a few moments later she was put down and shoved through the door at her new husband to a chorus of drunken laughter as the door was slammed shut behind her. Julia had been pushed hard enough to collide against Liam's chest.

She had stopped screaming, but now she was trembling violently. Her gown, which she had been painstakingly careful not to damage or stain through the day, had been torn in a few places, smudged by greasy drunken hands, and was more than a little wrinkled by her careless carriers. The beautiful style that had been set to her hair, keeping it up was disheveled, with parts of her dark hair having fallen loose.

Julia had convinced herself that she could approached her wedding night maturely, and with a bit of grace, but this was too much. It was one thing to walk calmly to the room she'd be sharing with her husband and quite another to literally be thrown at him.

Zane

Liam wrapped his arms around Julia as the two of them collided. He had be bracing to catch her if she were thrown, so naturally, his stance didn't yield to the impact. He hugged her against his chestplate, and while that may not have been the most comfortable feeling in the moment, it was all he could think to do to stop her tremors. "It's okay, you're fine." He spoke calmly, instinct telling him to do everything he could to de-elevate the situation. "Are you hurt?"

Zero

Julia's hands instinctively clutched at his arms as Liam wrapped her in a hug. There was no one else for her to cling to, it was a crushingly lonely feeling, knowing that her family would not have sympathized at all with her cowardly and unbecoming trembles. To her shame she actually sniffled with barely held back tears! "N-no. I'm o-okay."

She bit her bottom lip to stop its unseemly quivering. This was not the kind of impression she wanted to give her husband. It wouldn't do for him to regard her as a simpering mess. Julia wanted to be viewed as a good, reliable wife that he could count on. She raised one of her hands to carefully wipe away a few tears as she collected her wits. "I'm sorry, after hearing that story I should have been better prepared for this. I've never been manhandled like that before and I got quite a shock. I just need a moment, that's all."

To her credit, her voice barely wavered, and she was only shaking a little now.

Zane

"Liam unwrapped himself from her, holding her at arms length, "If it is any consolation, they caught me off-guard as well. And I am the one who was knighted. Deep breaths." With that, he let go of Julia and walked into the adjoining wardrobe to change out of the armor and give her a few minutes to collect herself. He soon exited wearing a loose fitting silken shirt and dark grey silk pants.

"If you want to get changed out of that dress, I think your mother may have gotten with the Head Servant, the wardrobe has several gowns that looks like they will fit you."

Zero

Julia managed a smile for his efforts, it was a small smile, but it was real as she finished lightly brushing the tears from her eyes. When he walked away she simply stood nervously, not sure what to do and not realizing what he was doing until he reappeared in more casual and comfortable clothing. A look of confusion immediately crossed her features, and that look only deepened when he told her she could change into another gown if she wanted.

"I don't understand." She truly didn't! This was it, wasn't it? Liam was supposed to help her out of her wedding gown, but not so she could simply put on another one. Her mother had gone to great lengths to explain to her what to expect once she entered this room with Liam. This definitely wasn't what she'd been anticipating with no small amount of trepidation. "Aren't we supposed to - to -to ..."

Her face reddened as she looked at the floor, not quite able to choke out the word 'consumate'. She was quite sure it was her duty to allow him to do it. A new fear settled in her stomach, that fear and panic came through heavily in her voice. "Oh, am I not desirable? I haven't displeased you in some way, have I? If I have I'm sorry! I didn't mean to, I will fix whatever it is, I promise. Please don't tell my father you're not happy with me."

Zane

"That couldn't be further from the truth of it." He spoke calmly, trying to grab her eyes with his, "Julia, you are extraordinarily attractive. And I have enjoying spending my day with you immensely. But... that" He couldn't bring himself to say it either, "is a deeply personal act of great intimacy. So I want to get to know you, personally. And furthermore" he took a deep breath, "I'm nervous. I've.. never considered being with someone in that way."

And there is was, the truth that he had not yet admitted to himself. "My late mother had a habit of romanticizing everything about the world. Since her death, I have come to realize alot of what she spoke of just isn't the way it works. But this will be different, this should be something more than a duty. I'm sorry I caused you so much grief, can you forgive me?"

Zero

Julia could barely get her eyes off the floor, let alone actually look him in the eye. Hearing him call her extraordinarily attractive only deepened her blush and she felt a small surge of happiness along with relief to know that he had enjoyed her company. She hadn't chosen him, but he was still her husband and she wanted to be able to be both married to him and happy about it if at all possible. Although his little confession did bring her head up enough to look at him in obvious surprise. She hadn't expected him to be as nervous and inexperienced as her.

"Forgive you?" She breathed softly, face once again looking confused for a moment before she shook her head. "Liam, I am the one that's..." Julia sighed and moved over to sit, feeling rather worn out from all the stress of the day. "I envy you. Do you know what my mother says about love and romance? That they are stupid things that only silly little girls think about. My father sold me to you and your uncle as easily as he would a dog."

She felt fresh tears in her eyes, but for a different reason. "I should be thanking you. For treating me so sweetly all day. As far as my father is concerned you own me, and you are...not at all what I was told to expect."

Zane

"I don't own you." Liam said as-a-matter-of-factly as he walked over to to a nightstand, he pulled out a handkerchief and passed it over to her, "We are equal parts in this, you and I. And as far as I am concerned, your father has absolutely no say in your life anymore. That ended when you said 'I do'. Now, you look dreadfully uncomfortable in that torn dress, why don't you change into something more relaxing? Also, I believe it was your turn to ask a question." He added with a smile, referencing their time in the library.

Zero

Julia took the handkerchief gratefully and dabbed her tears up. There was no use crying over feeling abandoned and betrayed by her family. It wasn't as if she hadn't known this day would come her whole life. Liam was right, of course. Even by Julia's raising her father was no longer the man she need concern herself with. Her husband's opinions and wishes for her were paramount.

Except that didn't seem to really be the case either. The relief was only matched by the confusion, because she really had never thought that Liam wouldn't be more like her father. Somehow her father had managed to marry her to a man that was so totally different from what she'd feared he would be.

Julia felt a little guilty for being so ready to accept the worst regarding Liam. Yes, she'd hoped that maybe she could have a good relationship with her husband, even if it wasn't a loving one. This was more than she had even dared hope. He wasn't even making her consummate the union. "Yes, of course, let me change into something a little less disheveled while I think of a good question."

She disappeared into the wardrobe, taking the time to remove the hairpieces and letting her hair fall loosely since it was so messed up anyway, though she did use her fingers to comb it lightly before changing from the damaged gown into a dark blue silk evening dress that was much simpler and lacked a stiff, confining bodice.

Re-emerging, she looked more relaxed than she had all day and smiling a little. "Aside from reading, what other hobbies do you have?"

Zane

While Liam waited, he laid out atop the bed, lounging with his legs crossed at the ankles and he fingers interlocked over his chest. As Julia exited, he smiled, glad that she seemed to be relaxing more. "Hmm, I like to explore the estate when time and weather permits. 200 acres is quite alot of land to cover, I haven't even made a dent, though I have discovered some pretty interesting locations. I enjoy continuing physical training, nothing like a nice ache to justify a trip the the bathhouse in Manor Stead. Beyond that, I have been teaching myself to play the piano. There is one in the study, I'm not great, but I know a few songs."

Stretching his legs while they reminded crossed, Liam was able to pop the joints in his legs, "And you? What do you like to do?"

Zero

Julia moved to take a seat at the foot of the bed, sitting so that she could look at Liam as he spoke. She found herself curious about these interesting locations he had discovered and wondered if he would take her with him sometime to see them. Every new thing she learned about him was unexpected, but so far only pleasantly so. He played the piano? Books and music, he seemed almost as much scholar as knight.

"I'd like to hear you play sometime, even if you don't think you're great." Her parents had never allowed her music lessons. They paid people to play music, a lady like herself had no need to know how. Julia pulled her legs up to tuck underneath her. "You already know I like to read, and I like to listen to music. Exploring, getting dirty, or exerting myself were all seen as not only pointless but unladylike, so I fear I spent a lot of time simply shut away enduring lessons or reading alone."