Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Forever Endeavor [Moonie]

Started by Zane, April 22, 2015, 04:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zane

Liam stared at the raising sun, smile planted firmly on his face. "It sure is, I never get tired of seeing this sight. Really helped to make all those months of training for knighthood worth it. You should see this place after the first snow of the season, the deep colors of the forest and sky contrasting against the white of the snow. If only I could paint." After the sun cleared the horizon, which took maybe ten minutes, Liam turned to Julia, "Sorry for waking you so early, but thank you for sharing this with me."

Zero

As they watched the sunrise together quietly, Julia tried to imagine how it would look all covered in snow like Liam described. They didn't get nearly as much snow in the south as they did here. She sipped her coffee with a smile at the thought of how beautiful it would be. It was also good to know that her new husband was a very early riser!

"Don't apologize, this was a wonderful way to wake up to my first day as Lady Sinclair." Julia turned to Liam and reached out to squeeze his hand gently, "I will get used to getting up very early, especially if it means I get to see more sunrises like this one. Is the view as lovely at Manor Stead?"

Zane

"It is perhaps not quite as exquisite as the view here, but it is charming and lovely in a what that is unique to Manor Stead. I think you may prefer it there. I know I do." He took a long drink from his coffee, allowing the hot liquid to warm him. "Oh! How often do you drink coffee normally? Also, how do you normally take it? I didn't know so I went with what I used to do, two lumps and an ounce of cream." His own coffee was black, he forced himself to get a taste for it black as he soon found out that making the coffee how he used to cost him precious heat that the liquid liked to vent far too quickly during the winter. Especially if you were training all day out in the cold.

Zero

"Charming and quaint can be nicer than grand sometimes." Julia smiled, rather looking forward to seeing Manor Stead. It sounded like a much cozier and more intimate environment. Not that Manor Sinclair wasn't lovely, because it certainly was, but it felt more formal and opulent here. "I'm more accustomed to tea than coffee, but I don't mind. It is actually very good just like this. Thank you, Liam."

To emphasize her point, Julia took a long sip of her coffee as she continued looking out at the spectacular view. "How long are we staying here at Manor Sinclair?"

Zane

"Duly noted, and you're welcome." Liam took another drink of his coffee, "We will probably be leaving here tonight, After the last guest. Ben doesn't like staying at this Manor anymore than he has to. There are some bad memories here for him." He was of course talking about the death of Ben's wife, then later the disappearance of his daughter. In all likelihood, after they got to Manor Stead, Ben would only stick around for a few days before going to Manor Dellow. The good memories that the man had there could be just as haunting as the bad ones of Manor Sinclair.

Liam turned to face Julia once again, "I know you've only just woken up, but would you like to take a small hike on one of the game trails? It would be a nice way to eat up the early morning until breakfast is called. If you want, we can stop by the kitchen on the way, refill our cups or get something small to eat."

Zero

Julia focused her attention back out the window, sipping her coffee with a slightly bowed head. She, of course, knew that Lord Sinclair's wife had passed away and his daughter was missing. The death or disappearance of a noble was big news and as such spread all across Serendipity like wildfire. Not that she was prone to gossip, but you couldn't help but hear about things like that when so many spoke of it. Her thoughts tried to move away from that and consider that she would be moving into her primary marital home that night, probably only hours after saying good bye to her family.

Her new husband once again stepped in to distract her from her worries at an opportune moment. Julia turned to look at him with a smile. It was a nice invitation. On such a hike there would be little else to do but enjoy the fresh, albeit chilly, air and the landscape around them. Well, and talking. There would likely be a lot of talking in the coming days as they came to know each other better.

"That sounds nice, but am I dressed for it?" After breakfast she would need to bathe and prepare for the day ahead. Normally she would do that first, but she doubted a bath right before a hike would be ideal.

Zane

"That should be fine, it's only about a mile in length and it is mostly level, plus now that the sun is up, it should start to warm up." Liam finished off his coffee and added, "Unless there was something else you wanted to do, someplace else you wanted to see. I could finish showing you around the manor, we kinda got cut short by the time yesterday."

Zero

"No, I think a walk in the morning air will be refreshing. I know we are leaving tonight, but there will be plenty of time to explore Manor Sinclair another time. It wouldn't be doing the place justice to try to rush seeing it all at once." Julia smiled and finished her cup of coffee. "Let's drop off our mugs or refill and then you can show me this game trail while we talk. I'm sure we can both think of more questions to ask each other now that we've had a good night's rest."

Zane

Liam nodded his agreement, leading them both back to the kitchen. Liam refilled his mug as chef Marris came out of the food storage. "Breakfast will be on the table in two hours. With luck, maybe less." The chef said before going back to cooking.

"Thank you, Marris." Liam replied, grabbing a leather belt with a knife holster from behind the woodstove, strapping it on under his housecloak. Being a knight, he had weapons of all sorts hidden throughout the manors. Perhaps it was a bit unnecessary, but it never hurt to be prepared. Noting Julia, he consoled, "Unlikely we will need it, but we'll have it just in case. This is a game trail after all." Picking his mug back up, Liam added, "Are you ready?" Offering his free arm.

Zero

Julia followed Liam in a comfortable silence as they made their way back to the kitchen. While her husband got more coffee she placed her empty mug neatly on an available surface and let her eyes wander about the room curiously. She had not gone into the kitchens themselves very often back in Ravensway. Her parents chastised her for being in the way. After all, what need have a lady in the kitchen?

It was kind of nice. No one seemed intent on shooing her out of everywhere. Under her parent's roof there had only been certain rooms where her presence was deemed 'acceptable' and it had been rather disheartening to always feel unwanted or in the way. Julia smiled at Liam's reassurance to the knife he had strapped on as she slipped her arm in his. "Yes, I'm a little excited to see some of the grounds actually. It is only a shame that our wedding did not take place at a prettier time of year."

Zane

Liam gave his wife a quizzical look. "You are probably going to want to retract those words in a moment. Autumn is very pretty here at the Sinclair Estate." He led her over to the back door of the kitchen, hunters who were given permission would bring a portion of their game to this door as a compensation. Most game trails could be easily accessed from the back door of the kitchen, per design. It wasn't long before Liam was guiding Julia along the path.

The forest around Manor Sinclair was alive with color, autumn has played it's roll, painting the trees in reds and orange and yellow. Occasionally, leaves would detach itself and it would fall slowly to the earth. The sight, accompanied the calm of the early morning and the chill of the air, was quite tranquil. Liam took a sip of his coffee before stating, "I believe it was your turn to ask a question."

Zero

Julia blushed faintly and lowered her gaze to the floor as she followed Liam out the back door of the kitchen. "Yes, it's very beautiful with all the colorful leaves, I didn't mean to imply it wouldn't be. I only meant that in the springtime it would be slightly warmer and the flowers would be blooming. I loved the wildflowers around my old home."

The nervousness and apologetic nature was not likely to go away anytime soon, no matter how sweet, accepting, or understanding Liam might be. Julia was still afraid of offending or upsetting her new husband. "Is it my turn again? I hadn't realized. Um...You said this was a game trail. Do you hunt?"

Of her brothers only Stewart didn't hunt, and she had no idea if it was something Liam enjoyed. She didn't recall seeing any hunting trophies, but this was essentially the party manor, so maybe if there were they would be at Manor Stead.

Zane

"Sorry, I didn-" Liam stammered and let his voice drop, "I was merely being playful, Autumn has always been my favorite season, the air tastes cleaner, very crisp. And the cooling temperatures make coats and cloaks increasingly appropriate. If I weren't of the nobility, I'd be a traveler wrapped in a cloak."

Liam took another generous gulp from his coffee before answering, "I know how to hunt, but I don't hunt for sport. My mentor made it very clear that I should be able to live off the land with nothing but my wits. So along with hunting, I also know how to fletch a bow and set of arrow, make weapons and tools, a fair bit of herbalism, and tracking among other things. General forestry really. The game trails are really for the hunters that we sell hunting licenses to. Ben started allowing hunters to hunt on our land as long as they signed a contract to give no less than twenty percent of their kill to the our kitchens. Chef Marris oversees it all. Meat is sent to the other manors from Manor Sinclair."

Zero

Julia's entire face was red, probably her neck and ears as well! She peered at Liam sheepishly out of the corner of her eye. The idea that he was just being playful hadn't even occurred to her. Gods above, but she felt so awkward and incompetent. Once again she felt herself doubting if she could really do this marriage thing. Her whole life she'd been groomed to be a wife to a lord, but now that she was nothing seemed simple about it. Not really knowing her husband very well didn't help her know what to do or say at all.

Thank goodness that he quickly changed the subject. Julia quickly found herself openly staring at Liam, her large doe eyes widened and mouth slightly open in a bit of an awe-struck expression. He could do all that himself? He was a lord and heir to a flourishing business! Why had he been taught such things? She couldn't help but think of what her father would say. Hunting was one thing, but the rest was just a waste of time for people like them.

"That's amazing." The words came out as a slightly breathy whisper as she looked down at the ground suddenly. Her husband was obviously a very learned man in practical skills. What would he think of her? How could he possibly find someone like her interesting at all? Julia could already feel her heart sinking at the thought of how much of an utter disappointment she would probably end up seeming to a man like him.

Zane

Liam smiled at her reaction, feeling a swell of pride rise in his gut as she stared at him in astonishment. Liam knew that many of his skills were uncommon among nobles, but it was a point of pride for him to be so versatile. But what she didn't after left him a bit stunned. Julia looked down, as if she were ashamed of something. He sought to move her beyond that.

"You say you like to read, have you ever read Kvothe Temmpi's Book of Great Mythos?" He asked, hoping the sudden change of subject with a question would distract her from whatever made her look so down.

Zero

"I don't think that one was in my father's library, or if it was, I did not chance upon it." Julia mumbled softly. Oh dear, she was going to ruin whatever good impressions she might have made so far, what with her uselessness and now her mumbling. Her mother would have scolded her for behaving so. She should be the epitome of poise and grace, not some timid, unsure ninny. There was only one use that was really important for a wife, her mother had told her so plenty of times, and that was children.

Oh, but she couldn't even do that right. Julia had no reason to believe she was barren, of course, but Liam hadn't even wanted to consummate, so she couldn't help but feel she'd done something wrong. Obviously she wasn't alluring enough. How was a woman to be both virginal and seductive for her husband? He'd insisted it wasn't a lack of appeal on her part, but a desire to become more familiar with each other before becoming familiar with each other. She really wanted to believe that, but couldn't completely ward off doubts about her desirability.

"I'm not sure that counted as your question. I think it is still your turn." Julia said weakly, hoping she could come up with a better answer to a question, not to mention a good question of her own.

Zane

Lima found Julia's increasingly quieting voice growing more concerning, "Okay, my next question. Are you okay? You aren't cold are you?" Liam started to shrug off his house coat as he continued. "Your voice has grown quiet over the past few minutes." Liam draped the housecoat over her shoulders, without the mug of coffee ever leaving his hand and without so much as a drop leaving the mug.

Zero

It was true that the air was just a little crisp for this time of year, especially for someone that was used to warmer weather in the southern part of the country, but Julia couldn't say she was unduly cold. Even so, she blushed when he draped his housecoat around her shoulders. Liam was so considerate, which made her feel even worse for feeling so miserable. Maybe she was being ungrateful. He was a good man and was obviously trying very hard to be a good husband to her despite neither of them having asked for this marriage.

"I'm sorry. I'm alright, really. I've just got a lot of heavy thoughts on my mind." Julia looked away from him sheepishly, actually taking a moment to look around them. Would he be content with that answer? What if he wasn't? She sucked her bottom lip into her mouth and chewed on it nervously before turning to look at him through lowered lashes. "It's just that the more I learn about you, the more incredible you seem and I am so...spectacularly not incredible at all. I worry that you will find me a dull and boring wife."

And the thought of being disappointing to him was a rather upsetting one to Julia.

Zane

Liam smiled softly, "You aren't boring. You can't be boring. Call it a naive thought, but my mother always said that boring is not a state of being but rather an event. It is impossible to be boring, you experience boring. Ben would tell you that the only sure way to stave off boredom is to find a passion. I love to learn new things, anything I can learn. Knowledge is my passion. From piano to swordplay and archery to forestry and tracking. So, if you'll permit me a third question, what is something you have always wanted to do?"

Zero

Julia dropped her gaze once more, trying to hide the slow blush that crept up her face, though her lips were twisting into a soft smile. He was just so nice. From the moment her hands had been placed into his, Liam had been more than kind to her. "It isn't naive, it's beautiful. I -"

She fumbled over her words, halting her speech again as she tried to think of what to say. Or of anything to say. Julia had certainly not prepared for a moment like this. What did she want to do? "Maybe, if you didn't mind, I could learn to play the piano with you?" Shyly, she looked up at him through lowered lashes, wishing to see his reaction.