Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A swing and a miss! [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, May 07, 2015, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Evening was falling, and the orange harvest moon was rising. It was a beautiful evening, not too warm or cool, and the town center was alive with the merry sounds of laughing children and playing minstrels, and the fresh scents of baked goods, fresh fruits, and cooked meats. Large tables had been brought out and pushed together, decorated with baskets of fruits and sweets, and ale was brought out by the barrel and served in plenty to the many revelers.

It was the first harvest festival of the year, a time when folks from all walks of life flocked to the town center to celebrate and enjoy the year's crop. Many soldiers returned home during this time--some staying to help their families through the winter, many returning to service after a few days of leave, so it was an especially important time for many families, who got to see their sons for the first time in months--or even longer.

Delwyn remembered those days fondly, what it had been like to come home for the festival after being on the field for so long, and even though it had been two years since he'd come home for good, it was still special to him. It was a time for catching up with old friends, enjoying some good ale--

And, you know, dancing with a pretty girl or two.

A large, grassy area had been cleared out to serve as a makeshift dance floor, and after several mugs of ale, Delwyn found himself out there, dancing with a pretty innkeeper's daughter. She was rather cute, her braided hair laced with colorful ribbons, and her large breasts were certainly an added perk, heaving with her every breath against her tight bodice. He certainly wouldn't object to spending a night in her inn.

Preferably in her bed.

As the current song came to an end, Delwyn took her hand and tugged her inward, twirling her into his arms and then dipping her while she squealed and threw her arms around his neck. He flashed her a bright grin and wiggled his eyebrows at her teasingly, then pulled her upright again so she stumbled and fell against his chest, panting and laughing. Bringing his hand to her chin, he tipped her head up so he could meet her eyes, and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"That was fun," he told her, while she flushed--from exertion, and a fresh blush. Taking a step back from her, he caught her hand in his and brought it to his lips. "Thank you for the dance, m'lady. It was a pleasure--and, I hope, the first of many. Would my lady like to join me for refreshments?"

"Oh!" The girl laughed, taking her hand back with a deeper blush, and motioned helplessly toward the crowd. "Oh, I'd love to, but I should go check on my husband!" she said, and Delwyn's eyes widened. "Make sure he's not drinking himself sick!"

Well!

"Ah. Ah, yes, of course!" Delwyn said, with an awkward laugh, his sexy thoughts instantly crushed. "Well, m'lady, it was certainly a pleasure! Er, good luck!"

Damn!

Frowning, Delwyn watched her go, then headed to the table, poured himself more ale from the tap, and took a long swallow.

Tonight was just not his night.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Arthuriel

As the festivities were under way, an unfamiliar person slipped into the town center, a joyous smile on her face as she skipped, twirled and danced her way over to the barrels of ale. She probably would've been an odd sight, with her multi-colored eyes and spiky hair that never seemed to pick a single direction to go in. But she wasn't, not to the happy townsfolk though, in their defense, many of them had had quite a bit to drink.

She sat at what she knew must've been the only empty table at the affair and begin observing the crowd. She sent out an intangible ripple of psionic energy, pulling in the thoughts of those around her. Most of it was drunken nonsense, and the woman had learned to filter out the nonsense long ago. She was tempted to focus her mental energy on finding whoever had the most amount of spare coin, but with a shake of her head, she decided to have some fun.

Instead, she focused her mind on finding whoever would be the most interesting, someone who wanted to have some fun themselves. Her friendly smiled changed into a grin as her mind focused on one person two tables down from her. She could've reached into his mind, finding most everything about him out -- He didn't seem to be extremely strong willed, but that again could've been because of the ale he was drinking -- but she decided not to. She'd learn about this man the old-fashioned way, by talking.

She poured herself a mug of ale and then began the short walk over to the man.

This would be fun.

Rhindeer

...Perhaps he had spoken--er, thought!--too soon!

Because no sooner had he begun to pout over his luck when he caught sight of movement just out of the corner of his eye, and glanced to see a pretty young thing headed his way. Well then! The night was young indeed!

Downing the rest of his ale in one large gulp, he set the empty mug down on the table and turned to beam a winning smile her way. "Come to steal a quiet moment away from all the action, too?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Arthuriel

The woman smiled, forcing herself not to probe his mind. He was better looking than she'd thought; the night was looking up.

"I am, yeah." She extended her mug, asking for a toast. "My name's Lirath, and you are, handsome?"

Rhindeer

"I'm handsome? Why, thank you! That's too sweet of you!" Delwyn said with a laugh, taking up his empty mug and clinking it against hers.

Still grinning, he added, "In all seriousness, m'lady, you may call me Delwyn. May I ask your name?"

Arthuriel

Lirath studied the man for a moment with narrowed eyes cocking her head to the left. Had he not heard her or was he planning some jest? Or he was an idiot.

"Lirath," She repeated, taking a swig of her ale.

Rhindeer

Oh. Right. Hadn't she just said that? Delwyn barked a laugh and smacked the heel of his palm to his forehead in a "doh!" sort of gesture.

"My apologies, m'lady. Seems I've had more ale than I realized!" he said. "Or maybe not enough. I think that's always the correct answer, don't you?" And he glanced into his empty mug as though hoping more ale had manifested on its own, before setting it down with a sigh.

"Still not tipsy enough that I can't keep up with the next song. Would you fancy a dance?"

Arthuriel

An idiot, it was then. A cute idiot, but still an idiot. Lirath chuckled at the longing look Delwyn had given his mug and smirked slighty as he turned away. She waved a hand, summoning up the powers her otherworldly--other-dimensionally--patron had granted her and watch as the cup refilled itself with a golden brown ale.

"Dance?" She asked innocently. "You've hardly touched your drink."

Rhindeer

Delwyn's brow furrowed at such an odd statement, considering he'd just finished off his drink. "Hm? Oh, no, I actually just finished it off--"

He cut off abruptly when he glanced at his mug, and saw that it was glistening with ale. He blinked several times in confusion and surprise, then rubbed lightly at his right temple. Well! Maybe the ale tonight was stronger than he'd thought, though he felt pretty okay! He thought. But didn't he always feel "pretty okay" when he was positively lit?

"...Huh. Actually, I think I've probably touched my drink a little too much," he said with a sheepish laugh, scratching at the side of his head. "But I swear I'm still perfectly graceful! See, I'm still standing upright and walking a straight line! If I were walking, I mean. I realize I'm just standing now."

Arthuriel

Lirath chuckled. This conversation certainly was more entertaining without her knowing every bit of his life. Still, she wanted to know something about him.

"I don't dance with strangers," She said, taking a seat at the table. She gestured for him to do likewise then added. "Tell me about you,"

Rhindeer

"Oh," Delwyn said as he took a seat. "You mean you don't recognize me from your dreams?"

And he laughed at his own wit (it always sounded funnier when he was a little tipsy) and waved a hand quickly. "I jest, I jest! In all honesty, m'lady, that's a bit of a broad question. I suppose the short answer is: I'm just a man out and about, intent on enjoying good food and good company and forgetting my responsibilities for a few hours. And what about you? Tell me about yourself, and maybe we'll be familiar enough by then for that dance."

And he winked at her, and took a sip of ale.

Arthuriel

Lirath took a large swig of her own ale, having magically refilled her mug as Delwyn spoke. She had to remind herself not to read his mind, that would ruin her game. Still, it was difficult, he was interesting.

"Oh, I'm nothing special." She said with an sly grin. "A wanderer, mostly. I'm searching for the world's greatest ale and sadly," She pouted, tilting her head down while keeping her eyes on Delwyn. "I've yet to find it."

Rhindeer

"Ah, that's probably because it's very subjective!" Delwyn said with a light shrug. "Greatest ale I've ever had was at a--"

He paused, having been ready to say 'brothel', but he didn't imagine that would earn him any points with the lady. "--A tavern, up in northern Uthlyn. Great stuff, deep and rich, but I may be biased. Also I may have been a wee bit drunk. Drink enough and it all becomes the greatest stuff you've ever had."

He smiled at her and nodded at her mug. "Keep working on that, and I'm sure it'll rank in your top ten pretty fast."

Arthuriel

Lirath shrugged noncommittally. "Best ale I ever had was in a whore's house." She said, casually as she took a swig of her mug. She decided not to mention she'd burned the establishment to ash, no one wanted to hear a thing like that anyway...

She eyed him curiously, once again having to force herself not to probe into his thoughts for the answer to all her questions. It was surprisingly difficult, she noted--not surprised, merely noted--not reading his mind and it gave her a sort of thrill. For her many years (and there were indeed many) she'd pried knowledge and answers from anyone, always learning. It was a strange feeling for her, not knowing and she smiled despite herself.

Still, she just couldn't resist using some of her usual tricks.

"Watch this," Lirath said, her smile turning into a coy grin as she let go of her mug. It floated weightlessly in the air for a moment. She placed a hand underneath the cup, palm upward and summoned once again the powers of her beloved patron. A small fire winked into existence in her hand but it didn't burn her. In fact, the flame did nothing at all for a moment. Then all at once she snapped her hand into a fist, putting out her fire and caught the mug with her other hand. The only noticable change was that her ale--once a golden brown--now appeared to be water.

Lirath Tadiel knew the truth of her magic, however.

"Go on," She said, holding out the mug for Delwyn to see. It was a simple enchantment, but one he would no doubt enjoy. Another mage may have been concerned of the numerous people seeing her trick, but not Lirath. As she had woven her patron's magic to her will, she had always worked her Psionics, making her and Delwyn all but invisible to their simple minds.

JackieCat

"WOW!" the little dragon zipped over to the two people sitting at the table.  The dragon could see them.

"That trick was cool!" the foot-tall dragon zipped around the two people's heads. "Was it magic?  Or just slight of hand?  I've seen a lot of magic, and it always amazes me!  I don't have any magic of my own, not that I know of, at least!  Is magic something completely miraculous, or is it science?  Are there gods who control everything?  Or is life just a wibbly bunch of spontaneous events?  I really don't know, but I like to think about it, but I also really like to think about cake!  It tastes so good!  I bet there's cake at this festival, do you like cake?  I love it!  I'm not really from around here, but I travel, so this is my home as much as anywhere else!"  Jiminie rambled on.  Then she stopped abruptly and landed on the table. "Wait, isn't magic frowned upon here?  I mean, I love magic, but don't some people hate it?  I don't really know anything about the war except that some people hate magic and are trying to drive it away or destroy it.  Anyway, is that ale?  Can I try some, I've never had ale before-!"   
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Rhindeer

...Well. So much for pretending to be a gentleman, when she went on ahead and admitted she'd been to a brothel. Alright, then!

Delwyn had hardly got over the surprise of that, however, when Lirath went and did the unthinkable.

She conjured a flame.

From her hand.

She didn't even get a chance to show him what was in the mug, because he was already leaping from his seat, spilling his own ale in his scrambling. "Shit! You're a mage!" he gasped, and looked frantically around them to see if anyone else had been watching even as his heart just about burst from his chest. And to make matters worse, that was when a little flying creature came zipping about, rattling out words and--

...Wow. How drunk was he?

"I...have to go."

JackieCat

"Oh I'm sorry!" Jiminie said, her eyes wide, completely misreading the man's actions. "Did I unsettle you?  Or do you hate me?  A looooot of people hate me, they say it's annoying, and I guess it could be, but I like to talk, and I really, really like to go on adventures, and I like to see other dragons and sometimes I even see a Speckled-Backed Wart Frog, which are rare, not many frogs have warts.  Usually only toads have them.  Anyway, what was I saying?  Oh yes, people hate me, they also say I get distracted easily-!  Ohh, pretty flower!  Oh, never mind, sorry about that!  My name is Jiminie, who are you two?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Lirath ignored the small creature but grabbed Delwyn's arm, sending out rippling Psionic energy. She wasn't reading his mind, but merely calming him. He was interesting and she didn't want him to go so soon!

Damnable dragon.

"No," She pleaded, moving closer to him as she spoke. "It's okay, no one else saw. Please stay."

JackieCat

"Yes, please stay!" Jiminie cried. "I'm sorry if I was annoying.  I'll try to shut up."

The dragon, who had started hovering again, landed and clamped her little mouth shut.  She sat down and stared at the two people, waiting for one of them to say or do something interesting.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor