Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Light in the Blizzard (Anguish!)

Started by Aleron, June 20, 2015, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleron

Michael hiked over the crisp snow, wrapping his brown cloak over him tightly. His breath trailed into the air each time he breathed, and he shivered.
He'd spent that afternoon out in the woods again, moving the snow in whirlwinds and crafting icicles that rose up from the ground. It had all been for a girl, who he didn't even care to remember her name. He'd met her earlier that morning in the town square when he went out to buy some apples. She was beautiful; long, brown hair, large hazel eyes. He told himself not to carry away, like he'd done all the times before, and to try and get to know her. Maybe she was the one, he thought. He'd given up his adventures when winter settled in. Cold and homeless, he found a small town where the people were kind and spent all his gold on a beaten down shack near the woods. It would need repairing, and until he could find someone to seal the holes he stayed at the inn.
He and the girl got talking, and before he knew it he was out in the woods with her. He couldn't remember why, but he could recall trying to impress her with his magic abilities. He played around with the ice and snow, turning every few seconds to hear her cheer and clap. At one point she td him to take his shirt off; he did, trying  to seem cool and powerful while wielding two levitating spikes of ice. But when he turned around she was giggling, and had left with his tunic. Luckily he'd brought a warm, cotton cloak, but he was far from the village and it would take a bit of time to get back.
His arms, hidden inside his cloak, brushed against his cold body and he squinted. A small sprinkle of snowfall had begun to fall around the sparse, dead trees. The sky was cloudy but he could tell it was getting near sunset. A few lights lit up ahead, and he breathed a sigh of relief.

Ten minutes of slow shuffling later he finally made it to the village of Snowfall, which was quite aptly named, he thought. His feet were numb and his arms as well. His ears hurt, his face was red, and snow had fallen like powder over his black hair. He wandered past his shack, the holes in the wall painfully obvious and imposingly large. A few people greeted him as he made his way to the inn.
When he stepped inside the heat from the fire burned at his freezing skin, but it felt wonderful. He sat at the innkeeper's table.
"You look cold," the balding man said. "Spent the whole day outside again, have you?"
Michael sighed. "Yeah," he admitted. He peeled open his cloak revealing his bare chest. "This time she got away with my tunic, too. It's twice as long and twice as cold coming back when you're naked in the snow."
The bartender laughed heartily. Out if anyone, he was Michaels closest friend, despite being a middle aged man who got drunk more than daily.
"Oh, I can bet that's true. Who was she?" He asked. Michael shook his head. "I can't remember her name."
The innkeeper poured him a big mug full of maple syrup mead. "You know, I'm sure it'll turn out great. You haven't gotten yer house set, have you?" Michael shook his head.
"Well, you can always take the back room. Even when you get all set in."
Michael, smiled, thanked the man, and took his mug to a log chair in front of the fire. He took his little vile of water and opened it, pulling the water out and holding it in a ball in the air. It slowly began to crystallize until a shell of ice formed around the water inside. He levitated it over near the fire and tried to do something he'd been experimenting with before. As it began go melt, he tried to keep it frozen solid. Of course, after a few minutes most of it had melted and dripped into the fire. Only a small lump of moist ice remained. He sighed, pulling it back and waiting for it to thaw until he could store it in his vile again.
He realized with a chortle of self pity that he was down another shirt.

Anguish

The cold didn't bother her. It never did. She always had the Light to keep her warm. However, warmth can't help you find your way if you're lost. Unfortunately, that's exactly what Auriel was. Lost.

She pulled the hood of her white and gold fur cloak over her head. It matched the fur leggings and tunic she was wearing. She didn't normally dress for the cold, but she knew there was a chance of snowstorms. It's better to be safe than sorry, after all.

As the snow began to fall faster and faster, and the sky began to grow darker and darker, Auriel made her way to the only sign of civilization she could see; a few lights off in the distance. She had no idea what village this was, or if it was anywhere near where she wanted to be, but she needed to take a rest. She had been traveling all day, hadn't eaten in what would probably be around twelve hours soon, and was exhausted.

Finally the buildings began to take shape, and within what seemed like twenty minutes or so she arrived at the village itself. As she approached, she saw a small sign with the name of the village. Snowfall, it appeared to be called. "What a fitting name..." Auriel thought out loud.

She began walking the streets, looking around for an inn or some other place to spend the night and get a hot meal. It wasn't long before she came across what she was looking for, and when she arrived at the entrance to the inn she stepped into the warm glow of a burning fire and the laughter of drunken men and women. She pulled down the hood of her cloak and smiled kindly at the innkeeper. "Excuse me, sir... could I bother you for a meal?"

While the innkeeper pondered her question, for a brief moment she made eye contact with a man sitting by the fire. He appeared to be a handsome young man missing a shirt. During that brief moment of eye contact, she smiled politely, then turned her attention back to the innkeeper.

"Of course! I just need one moment. Please, take a seat by the fire and warm yourself." The innkeeper said, and so Auriel took a seat next to the young man.

Aleron

Michael leaned back in his chair, drawing his cloak closer around him. A group of drunks had begun singing cheerfully in the corner and a man went over to their table with a tray of fresh ale.
He looked around the room, gazing at all the faces. But suddenly there was a new one, one he had never seen before. She had the purest hair he had ever seen, her skin tan and her eyes the color of the sun. She wore what seemed to be expensive fur clothing that was white like the snow outside.
He stared, his face frozen and his mouth hanging just a bit open, deep into her golden eyes. She turned towards him after talking to his friend and the innkeeper, Brenn. He whipped his head back towards the fire.
A warmth glowed against his side, and he turned, to his surprise, to see the girl sit next to him. Despite her beauty she had an innocent, childlike manner to her, and her size helped support that notion.
Any sense of resolve he'd made just minutes earlier after coming from the forest to not approach beautiful girls was lost as he turned his head, looked deep into her eyes, and said, "Hi," as friendly as he could.

Anguish

"Hi!" Auriel said with a smile. She took her cloak off and rested it across her lap, since she was now warm by the fire. "I'm Auriel, nice to meet you."

Just after she finished her sentence, the innkeeper came over with a small plate of food, consisting of a few pieces of dried meat. "Thank you," she said gratefully as she she reached into a small white leather pouch on her right hip for some coins. She paid the innkeeper for her food, who simply smiled and nodded his head before walking away.

It may not have been exactly what she was hoping for, but she was absolutely starving. Completely fixated on her plate, Auriel forgot about the young man for just a moment. After devouring one of the pieces of meat, she turned back to him. "What's your name?"

Aleron

He stammered just a second. "Michael," he said. He smiled at her. "I've never seen you here before. Are you from here?"

Anguish

"Nope. I'm traveling the world right now." Auriel said, gazing off into the distance a little bit, almost as if she was daydreaming. "Although I got lost in the blizzard. Honestly I'm not even quite sure where here is."

She laughed a little bit. It was a soft, gentle laugh; the kind that makes you want to smile. "So how about you? Are you from around here?"

Aleron

Michael raised an eyebrow. "Blizzard?" He asked. Just then a person bundled in thick woolen clothing slid into the inn, and a gust of snowy wind filled the room. Michael chuckled. "Wow. That must've caught on quickly; I could swear it was only snowing ten minutes ago.
"I'm not originally from here, since I used to adventure, but I just moved in a week or so ago. Since it would be too difficult surviving out in the wilderness in the winter. Where are you from?"

Anguish

"A small town called Southshore." Auriel said, looking over towards the fire now as she picked up another piece of meat. "I wouldn't be surprised if you never heard of it. Not many people have."

She pulled out her small pouch again to check how many coins she had left, then smiled politely at Michael. "Excuse me for one moment. I need to ask about a room."

With that, she got up and began walking over towards the innkeeper. "Excuse me, sir. Are there any rooms available?"

Aleron

Michael looked up at Brenn, widening his eyes.
"Uh," he said standing. "I can get you one. I mean, I can pay for yours. You'll need as much money as you can get over here, especially if it's a blizzard."

Anguish

Auriel gave Michael a bit of a surprised look. She normally would have declined immediately, but she was almost out of money. Also, he made a good point about the blizzard. "That's very sweet, but are you sure it's no trouble to you?"

Aleron

"Yeah, yeah. No trouble." He quickly went over to Brenn and gave him a handful of coins. The old man looked at him, then at Auriel, and smirked. "What?" Michael asked under his breath. Brenn subtly smiled and beckoned him away.
Michael returned to the seats, waiting for Auriel before he sat down. "So, tell me about this Southshore. Where is it?"
He looked outside through the small glass windows. "I'd bet it's warmer than here," he said with a grin.

Anguish

"It's at the very southern end of Summervale." Auriel said, smiling at the memories of her home. "It's almost always warm and sunny, and you can see the ocean from the edge of the town. Oh, it's beautiful there."

She paused, staring into the fire for a few moments in silence before turning back to look at Michael. "You said you used to adventure, right? What types of adventures did you go on?"

Aleron

"Oh," he said, looking off as he remembered. "Just some wandering around. Sometimes I've come across some people who need help, or some bandits, but they weren't much trouble. I also like to mess around with my ice magic."
He pulled out the half-melted ice cube he'd been using before. "Whenever I get bored," he began matter-of-factly, "I like to see how long I can keep the ice I  the fire before it melts."
He chuckled. "I got better this time, but it still wasn't that long."

Anguish

"Magic is a beautiful thing, is it not?" Auriel said with a smile. "Don't worry if it takes you a while to master. The more you practice, the better you'll get."

She took another look out the window, only to see that the storm was still just as bad as when she arrived. She couldn't help but laugh a little bit. "I can see why an ice mage would find comfort in this town."

Aleron

Micheal chuckled. "There's never a shortage of ice here."
He leaned forward, lessening the distance between them ever so slightly. "Do you have any magic?" He asked. "Any tricks up your sleeves, spells you can wield."

Anguish

"I can use Light magic. I specialize in healing and defensive spells, but I can use offensive spells fairly well." Auriel said with a smile.