Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Permanent death in SotE?

Started by SerJanustheGlassjaw, August 02, 2015, 06:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerJanustheGlassjaw

Sorry if this has been asked/posted before, or if the info's easy to find. I've searched but haven't found anything on this grim subject!

I have a question regarding the death of characters within the stories. So I know on one level, death in SotE is definite. From what I've seen from flipping through the forums, player-created characters in the Civil War story have died, and I've personally already written an "NPC" I created to die in my first thread. However, it seems that characters actually die very rarely in the stories.

So I guess my real question is, has a player-created character ever met actual perma-death within the SotE story yet? & via what means? Death during battle, inflicted by another player, written off themselves, etc. I'm just wondering if it's ever happened organically within a story as opposed to just being written off in the plotting.

I'm personally a big fan of tragic fantasy, so the deaths of main characters are something I enjoy seeing in a story set in a fantasy realm. They could happen at any time, it's always a surprise! I intend to make many characters for SotE, and I intend to kill them off, too. This will just add extra weight for the other players taking part in whatever thread the death occurs in.

If this is already an established thing in the game, sorry for rambling. I'm just hoping I'm not the only one willing to pull the plug on a favorite character in order to make a memorable story! 

Zane

Hi! Name's Zane. Nice to meet you.

So, SotE is completely free form. Meaning, if you want your character to die from say, a papercut? Welp, looks like that papercut is infected. Who knew that being a scribe was so dangerous? If you want your character to say, survive the almighty attack of a demon djinn god slayer. Try to find a way to justify it. Your ancestors were actually djinn hunters and they are immune to the powers of Djinn.

The point is, anything is possible if you can find a way to justify it. As for permanent death! SotE runs on Liquid Time, meaning that your character can be in multiple places at once, some people, like myself, like to make timelines for their characters. I keep mine off-site, but writers like @GoblinFae keep their characters storyline in the character profile. While the death may be the end of their life, there is so much else left to fill in. And who says death has to be the end? Anything is possible if you can justify it. We are here to create and tell stories.

Hope this helps, good luck, and lots of fun!

Ethereal-Star

I'd like to second what Sir Zane said, especially about the liquid time factor. The site does run on multiple times, not multiple timestreams mind you, like an alternative timeline for your character, but different things happen at different times for any character in the game world. Of course, if it's easier for you to play one thread per character at a time, that's fine too! And if you wanna kill 'em off? Go for it, but it doesn't have to be the end.

For instance, you can do threads before their inevitable death, one that takes place earlier in their timeline. Or you can even plan to resurrect them somehow either through magic, someone else's character who you thread with, a magical object, certain event triggering or anything else you can think up. Perhaps your character runs into a cleric later on who brings them back to life. Of course, whether it works or not is totally up to you and what you want to happen for the character.

I totally get the whole drama and trauma of death in stories, as it does add more interesting weight to a situation. I have a character named Stardust, who used to be a saintly unicorn before she was tortured and killed, and therefore corrupted into another form. Her story is planned out so she will eventually be restored to the light again but it will take some time (and many threads in between!) I am first doing a flashback thread with someone to RP that first incident for her. But it is far from being the end, only the beginning really.

Another of my characters Vanesse, who is a Valkyrie, one of her jobs is to take back fallen worthy souls back to her hidden island home and, once there she releases their spirit and they become as though 'alive' again, but not exactly. They take on solid form but cannot leave the island after that. From there she and the other Valkyries train them in many battle tactics, both new and old ones. So if you ever want to kill off a warrior character of yours, let me know and I can toss Vanesse his/her way and their story can continue, just in a different way than normal.

Another idea is you can roleplay them in the afterlife whether as a ghost, a possessed object their spirit is trapped in or in a completely new place. Maybe from time to time they visit their loved ones on Earth, to say a final goodbye and/or simply to check on them every now and then. It's a interesting idea and one well worth planning out.

But whatever you do, make sure to justify it and have fun! The rules are easily bendable, provided it does not break canon. And welcome to the site! ;)