Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Unrealized Opportunity (Wicked Basket)

Started by Ever, August 22, 2015, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever

She had done it. With low provisions, no magic and sheer will and determination alone, Syre had surpassed the desert! Perhaps it wouldn't be considered something to celebrate in another's mind, but she had trekked here wearing black and God dammit if she wasn't going to let herself drown in the waves of relief and pure joy that washed over her very soul when she saw the enormous granite wall that encapsulated the apparently. And besides, that sandworm she had tangoed with hadn't been any picnic either, but granted, it could have been much bigger. Few gashes from RedShine to the gut did the trick.

Ruffling her hair with her hand, Syre breathed deeply, letting out a gentle blow from her rounded lips as an exhale as she prepared herself. Her research into the religions of Le'raana were turning up fruitless. Maybe she just wasn't digging far back enough and the Ancient religions of every culture were what she needed to look at next, but for now, the closest thing she had to a "break through" in her notes were the Djinn. Apparently, the actual creature could be found in the desert and Syre was lucky enough to not run into one of them. She needed more information first and who better to ask than an Essyrni! With that in mind and a grin on her lips, Syre walked on to enter The City of Gold. Maybe her own fortune would be good to her this day. She'd just have to wait and see.

Well, Syre could give credit where it was due. This place was gorgeous! The streets were bustling, the people themselves lit up the city brighter than the blazing sun in the blue sky did! Walking and rotating slowly, Syre's wide eyes took in all they could. She walked around and of course, as was a bad habit of constantly talking aloud as she thought and studied, she began to mumble about her plans:

"Alright, so with no wealth, no privilege and L'Azure ancestors from practically eons ago that no one here alive would know, I'm not getting up to the door to the Shah's Palace to say the least. But hey, all I need is the least bit of information. Heck, if some sales person hands me a book of the lore, I'll be happy!"

Syre pursed her lips, stopping and looking around. She had been walking for a while with no discernible  purpose and she didn't want to stick out to badly. Her slightly tanned skin was a helping factor, but the red and blue hair was not. Although. from Syre's experience, people just made an assumption or a best guess and left it at that. Her eyes and hair may be clearly foreign outside of Serendipity, but at least they weren't eyebrow raising-ly strange and suspicious. Sighing, Syre simply adjusted the shoulder strap of her worn, brown satchel, full to the brim with notebooks and journals bursting at the seams, and continued to stroll along.

As she multi-tasked by musing about her plans and taking in the sites of a stunning new place, she hoped something would hit her. Bang! Just like that. An epiphany, a sign from above!  Anything at all, just so she could make any progress at all..

Wicked Basket

There was no way that Lucian could be anymore lost and clueless. He had never been in Essyrn before, and he wasn't too fond of it. There were so many people and hardly any room to move. The only good thing about it was that the people here had dark skin, so his own darker skin was left alone. However his size still earned him many sideways glances. He towered over everyone, but that wasn't unusual.

As he walked along, or at least tried to as best he could with the streets being so crowded, he looked around and took in the sites. Of course this translated into not entirely paying attention to where he was going and running into someone. Due to his size he was largely unaffected by the collision, but he doubted who he had run into had faired just as well. When he looked down to see who he walked into he saw a young woman who did not have dark skin. She had lighter skin like other people did everywhere else. He looked at her with a puzzled expression on his face. Why was she so different from the rest?

Ever

For a rare moment, Syre stood still, this being one of the few times she took planning her next step seriously. It was possibly due to the fact that this was her work and there was nothing a L'Azure was more passionate about then there work. Granted it was normally military work, but that of course didn't stop Syre from having a interest in weapons as well.

She tried her best to concentrate. She was smart enough to know that she couldn't run up to any ol' local and ask about demons. They weren't exactly considered an appropriate topic of conversation. But who? Where could she go to where her head wouldn't be bitten off for her lack of "conversation etiquette"? Damn, she was so eager to get her that she hadn't thought that maybe it would have been all the better to go to a place where her name was a little more known and her rather "different" interest may have just gotten a raised eyebrow and a blink as a reaction... But she supposed that was the point. She didn't want to rely on her family name. This was her search, her work. She could do it by herself and she needed to prove it.

If there's one thing that can derail a train of thought and pour water over a renewed spark of determination, an off-putting and surprising jolt to your back does that trick marvelously. Embarrassingly, a definite ear-catching yelp escaped Syre and she jumped, landing on her toes and spinning around, rigid, but also seemingly ready to snap at break neck speed. Her eyes circled around and they found themselves rising up to meet with the source of the impact. She immediately coughed, realizing, that in the first seven seconds in which an impression can be made, she made a sound skin to a puppy who had it's tail stepped on.

"I-I mean.. Ah! Hey!" She growled, a failed attempt to salvage herself. Grimacing, she took the awkward moment, in which it was apparent that neither of them had any intention of leaving, to analyse the man with a few quick glances. Well for one, he absolutely towered over her. That didn't put her off though. Her father and her brothers all towered over her, with the exception of Kei. His skin was simply dark to her, the bright sun made it hard to distinguish any hues in his skin that may point to any place of origin. He looked.. Vague. Plain. But he wasn't. She could just tell. He was unassuming, but there was something more to him. Suddenly, a smile burst onto her lips. The big lad looked so unsure! She really wasn't that upset, so Syre thought it best to make sure he knew that.

"Don't look so bewildered m'lad, you're starting to worry me!" She laughed heartily and out of habit, she gave him a quick and casual salute with three fingers from her temple, "It's my fault, honestly, I don't usually stay in the same place for too long! I'm Syre! I'm not from around here and you know what they say, "Blame the foreigner, not the local."! Or.. Maybe that's just in my house.. Huh.. In fact, I think I got told I probably shouldn't say that anymore.." Shaking her head, Syre knew she was rattling on and perhaps even scaring the poor fellow. Trouble was, Syre couldn't just stop who she was.

She looked him up and down slowly, her eyes going from the bottom of his feet right to the top of his head and she gave a low whistle, "Must say, you are a beast, my friend! It's no wonder you couldn't see down here! Don't worry, I'm used to it! So.. Um.. Yeah!" She let herself fade out, but she still managed to end on a smile.

Wicked Basket

Lucian looked at the woman and simply blinked a few times. The rapid rate at which words came flying out of her mouth was dizzying. Lucian had to stop for a second and try his best to go over the excess of words to find something he could make sense of.

Well for one she said she wasn't from around here which would explain why she looked different from the rest. She also didn't seem put off by his appearance, which was always a relief. She had also said something about her being Syre. Was that her name? It must have been. What else could it be. Of course that also means that she had introduced herself, and when someone does that your supposed to do the same or they get mad for some reason.

"My name is Lucian," he told her not really knowing what else to say.

Ever

He seemed to have kept up well enough! He had gotten his name out well enough. She blinked and pursed in her lips in a silent 'Hm..'. Lucian, huh? Strange name. Not from any region Syre was familiar with.. But then again, who was she to call a name strange given her full name? .. Syre hid her mental scowl with a outward beaming smile on her lips.

"Lucian, huh? Are you from around here?" For all she knew, Lucian was a fairly popular name here!

The longer Syre stood in his presence, the more certain she became that there was something "off-but-not-off-off" about him. Despite his stature, he seemed weak... Like he was in a daze. Concern dimmed Syre's sparkling eyes.

"W-wait.. Don't answer that. I already can tell." she blurted out, waving her hands and then laughing nervously, "Wh-what I mean is, I guess you're not from here either, huh?" She composed herself, slowing down her pace. If she knew for a fact that she got over-excited and couldn't even understand what she was rambling on about sometimes, then what were the chances any strangers could understand her?

"If it's not rude, what brings you here?"

Wicked Basket

Lucian didn't really know how to feel about Syre. She was quite odd indeed, and she talked a lot and very quickly. After asking a question she immediately told him not to answer it, which in and of itself was confusing enough. She then said something about not being from around here, which was, in fact, true. Then she asked how he ended up where he did. Since he didn't tell him not to answer this question he guessed that he was supposed to.

"I don't know," he replied. "This is just where I ended up."

Ever

Syre pursed her lips once more, blinking slowly in response to his answer a small, "Ah-huh.." of wonder laced with a little bit of worry escaping her lips. Just where he ended up? Anyone may have just taken this to mean that this man was simply a traveller and simply "ending up" in places was just how he was, but Syre could read things that not just anyone could read off people. He seemed genuinely confused, he honest to the Gods above looked bewildered by his very surroundings. To Syre, this Lucian wouldn't last five minutes as a traveller or a wanderer of any kind. In fact, she'd place a bet that his mere size had been the thing keeping him alive! Then again, she couldn't tell how long he'd been winding up in places over Le'raana, maybe he really just a very, very unprepared wanderer... But she doubted that.

As was the proper way to uphold conversation (as Sy had been taught), she continued as to not let an uncomfortable silence descend, "Myself, I'm here for work! Nothing official, I work independently. It's for research!" she smiled, kicking herself for realizing that her severely frowned upon work wasn't the topic to hit on when you wanted to prevent a discussion grinding to a dead halt. In her panic, this slipped out:

"Say, if you're not really here for anything and we're both strangers in this Golden City, why don't you join me?" What?! No! Talking about the work that was opposed by the majority of the continent was one thing, but inviting someone to practically partake in the research pertaining to said work?! That was a whole different kettle of fish! As Syre smiled brightly in invitation while a lot of effort was made to restrain her hands from ripping out her own hair, it was clear that she was too late for her to take anything back and she'd simply have to wait for his answer..

Wicked Basket

She spoke again quickly, almost urgently. It was if she was nervous or unsure of something. According to her, She was here for research. What kind of research? Lucian was always looking to learn new things about this world.

"What kind of research," he asked.

Ever

Syre sighed, frowning a little. Damn it, she just needed him to not be curious.. But she supposed that was a pretty ridiculous thing to want. Everyone was curious. Her mind rushed between ideas and more specifically, ways of saying "Demons" without... Actually saying "Demons." Then it hit her and she beamed at Lucian, rummaging in her back for a leather bound book without taking her eyes off of his. Taking it out, she opened it at a random page that depicted several magic circles. This research book was specifically for magic, even the Dark Arts, but there was nothing that pointed to her extensive Demonology work.

"Mythology, lore, all kinds of entities. It fascinates me.I'm here because I'm taking a new kind of "culturally-specific" angle on it." Syre didn't like lying, but technically, she wasn't lying... She just wasn't revealing certain details.

Wicked Basket

Lucian just stared at her and blinked. He had absolutely no idea what she just said. Though he had managed to somewhat decipher all her other babblings, this one was beyond him.

"Sooooo..... You study what?"

Ever

Syre rolled her eyes and softly sighed. She really, really didn't want to lie to this Lucian fellow. Especially since he looked so puzzled already. So, she just smiled and tugged on his arm quickly, turning around and waving for him to follow her, "Walk and talk Lucian, c'mon."

She walked along, her head stretching and turning to see if she could make out anything of interest. Hoping you were still behind her, her brain had found an excellent way of saying what she did... Without saying what she did!

"I study the magic of creatures. You know? The magic of things that aren't human."

Heh. Perfect.

Wicked Basket

Lucian followed Syre through the crowds, which didn't turn out to be too difficult. His height allowed him to see over the heads of everyone so he could keep his eyes on her which was also quite easy because she was so different from everyone else. She then finally gave him an answer that he could understand. The magic of things that aren't human? Lucian was almost certain that he wasn't human. He didn't know what it was that made him think this way. He looked like a human, but he was bigger. He had also never come into to contact with another human whose skin was the same color as his own, though the ones around him now came the closest. Perhaps her studies would find the answer he had been looking for.

"That sounds perfect," he said not realizing he did not vocalize the context as to why it was.

Ever

The crowds started to thin and Syre gave a breath of relief. Finally, a little peace. Honestly, she wasn't sure why she was so jumpy all of a sudden, Serendipity was usually much busier than this on a regular basis. Maybe it was because of this whole inviting a complete stranger along to partake in highly controversial research issue. She began to look around for a place to stay. There had to be an inn or something around her. Lucian actually gave her a reply and it wasn't a question or a puzzled statement. But that wasn't what got her to spin around on her boot heels and stare at him with wide, sparkling eyes.

Perfect?

"How so?" she asked, trying to hide her grin. Did.. Did he study something like this too? Or at least know something about it? He could have fooled her! Oh this was perfect!

Wicked Basket

Lucian looked down at the ground and scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.

"Um... Well," he began. "I was hoping that in your research I might learn something about myself."

Ever

Syre gazed at him, tilting her head and frowning a little. She wasn't overly disappointed about it, it just wasn't exactly the answer she had been expecting.

"You.. You don't know anything about yourself?" She hastened a guess about his situation and she had a feeling she was right. Everything about this Lucian character was starting to make a little more sense. How she couldn't tell where he was from and why he seemed so flustered and confused, even just in his demeanor. 

Wicked Basket

Lucian solemnly shook his head.

"I ended up in this world knowing nothing but my name."

Ever

Something struck with Syre at that moment. Her father would have called it a "Knight's Instinct." A feeling of protecting those who were vulnerable. Syre refrained from calling it at and simply thought of it as a pang of sympathy that went through her heart. She... She could sort of relate to a case of unknown identity. The difference was, she lost a sense of her identity when she simply didn't want to follow in the footsteps of her family and it didn't her too long to find another calling: Demonology. But still, for a while, she had no idea what she was going to do with her life. If she wasn't going to be a L'Azure Knight, was she really a L'Azure at all? That had been her train of her thought.

"I see.."  Syre suddenly beamed brightly at him.

"I tell you what Lucian. I still have my offer of you coming around with me as I do my work. Maybe it will help you and maybe it won't, but the one thing that may come in handy is my knowledge of this world you're probably still a little bamboozled by, am I right or am I wrong? Well you can ask me anything you like and I may let you in on a few secrets too." She winked at him and laughed, but she decided to say it again, to summarize it in case that joke at the end had thrown him off.

"Tag along with me and I'll try and help you. What do you say?" I reached out her hand for him to shake if they had a deal.

Wicked Basket

She had indeed thrown him off, so the summary at the end was greatly appreciated. When she held out her hand he looked down at it. He had seen people shake hands before, and he assumed that's what she was going for. He reached out and shook her hand, his much larger hand engulfing hers.

"Alright," he replied simply.

Ever

Wow, he was strong. But it wasn't enough to completely weaken Syre's own strength as she squeezed and shook his hand happily.

"Alrighty then! Let's find a room at an inn and I'll tell you more about my work!" She let go, turning around and walking forward, more of a bounce in her step. Eventually, her eyes came across a building that was either an inn or simply a house that was very big and not aesthetically pleasing in between all these smaller houses. Her intuition hadn't failed her yet! She walked in and paid for a room for two for three days and two nights. She could pay for more if anything came up and she had to stay for longer. She shot Lucian a smile, hoping he was still following behind her and taking the key, she went to the second floor and entered the third room on the left.

The room was gorgeous, just what she'd expect from the City of Gold of course. She threw her bags down and sat on the rug in the middle of the room, always feeling more comfortable on the ground.

"I'll be frank Lucian. I study demons. I can't ever say in public because they're a highly controversial subject and I could get into a lot of trouble for doing what I do."

Wicked Basket

Lucian dutifully followed Syre to the inn and then their room. He ducked through the door and looked around. The room was much fancier than anything he'd ever seen. Then again he hasn't seen much.

Now that they were in a private location, Syre admitted exactly what it was that she studied. She also explained why she couldn't openly admit.

"Why is it controversial," he asked. "What exactly are demons?"