Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Woe Unto Hypocrites (Parkway)

Started by Saber-Five, October 06, 2015, 06:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber-Five

It was a new morning for the city of Uthlyn. Outside a rose themed brothel, a party of the city watch gathered, securing the street with bystanders looking on. The guard captain, still in his nightshirt looked down on the half naked corpse of a highly respected merchant named Jospeh Figgins. It appeared that Figgins had been spending the night at the establishment when his body was found outside just an hour ago.

The middle age captain named Aaron Elric just shook his head at the scene and sighed.

"Ansgar this is a mess."

Parkway

Uthlyn was not a town Ruby was happy about going to but she was here.  She had been here a few days without incident.  But things sure had taken a turn for the curious when she stumbled onto a crowd gathering by a dead man. 

What looked to be a few guards had been keeping the crowd at bay.  Her blue eyes watching their every move.  When another showed up he was not dressed properly but the others seemed to be speaking to him.  Must be an official.  This was when a gap in the crowd gave her a view of the body.  "Oh!"  She exclaimed!  Ruby had just did a transaction with the man a few hours before, well yesterday to be precise. 

Saber-Five

Captain Elric turn his head around and toward to the woman that gasped. A Fae here in Connlaoth? It was very rare to see Faes in the country due to their association with magic. As long she doesn't use whatever magical powers she may wields out in public there won't be any problems. Obviously a foreigner as well the guard captain also considered as he asked.

"Ma'am did you knew the deceased?"

Parkway

The official like figure began to approach Ruby.  Oh it was because she stood out!  Damn she knew coming to Connlaoth was a bad decision.  Damn her greedy little heart! 

She ran threw the last few days, nope she did not use magic in this heathen land.  She was sure.   Nope.  Whew okay he is asking me what?  Oh if I know him.  Without thinking she replies.

"Aye.  Sort of.  We had some business and he paid me handsomely for it too."  She groaned!  Oh Ruby you dummy you should have said no now he is going to want to ask you all sorts of thing.  She looked over at the body and shrugged.  "Well I guess I should get going now.  Good luck sir."  She began to back away slowly hoping he would just let her leave.

Parkway

As Ruby tried to turn the crowd gathered closer.  The official of sorts was questioning a Fae.  This was the stuff for later gossip at the tavern and no body wished to miss it.  They sort of blocked her exit.  The poor fae edged a bit and looked about for an escape from the questioning eyes of this fellow.

Saber-Five

Captain Elric grew quite curious when the Fae mentioned her ties with the dead merchant. It seem she didn't want to get involved with this mess further. Well that was just too bad, he had questions but now the crowd around them butting in, trying to listen in. Taking Ruby by the arm, Elric spoke to her that broke no room for argument.

"You're coming with me."

With a unit of city guard, keeping the others back, Elric took Ruby into the brothel where they can have some more privacy to talk. Thankfully the owner of this establishment was a close friend of his, and quickly provided a room for him to continue the conversation. Once the door was close he continued.

"Okay here how its going to be lady tell me all you know about Mister Figgins. If you cooperate I can provide protection until you leave this city."

Parkway

"Hmmfff" She wiggled a bit as he took hold of her arm.  "Brute!" She murmured under her breath.

He brought her into the brothel and her wide eyes grew even more so!  What in the world was he taking her in this place for.  She briefly though of kicking him in the shin and making a mad dash for it.  But she realized the futility of the move.

One he closed the door and released her she rubbed her arm.  Not that it hurt but in an instinctive move of comfort.   

And Ohhhhh what a generous offer!  She thought as she rolled her eyes skyward and groaned inwardly. 

"I really can't help you.  I just gave him a package and he paid me.  Paid handsomely too!  Damn!"  She swore at the bout of bad luck.  He had asked her to stick around because he was going to send her on a new task.  Coin she never turned away from.  This was the only reason she was still sticking around, now she wished she fled.  But, she was saying too much to this human type. 

She stood stiffly trying to think of what else she could say to get her out of this situation.  "I really don't know anything.  This is only my first time in the heathenish town.  Just let me go."  The last part said in a childlike type whine. 

Saber-Five

Arching an eyebrow at the Fae's latest outburst, Captain Elric remained slient to let her finished. Crossing his arms over his chest, with an unimpressed expression, he fiercely replied.

"Listen here miss you don't have many options at the moment. Let me paint you a picture. A businessman, a highly respected person with powerful friends has been found murdered like a dog in the streets. Then there you, a foreigner and one of the Fae, a people known for magic in a land that's going a bloody war over the issue. Considering those factors and your display back in the street, you're likely already a scapegoat in the eyes of the townspeople.

If you tried to flee the city now it will make you look even more guilty and probbaly get the Mordecai involved. Personally I prefer not to waste my men and resources on a d*** witch hunt and just focus on finding Figgins' killer."

Taking a deep breath and pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration, Aaron Elric continued in a calmer tone this time.

"Okay let's start over, what's your name and your purpose being here in Uthlyn?

Codestar7

Parkway

She flinched as his tone became more agitated. She looked down and cursed her bad luck before finally replying.  What other choice did she have.

"Ruby, Ruby Falawern."  She shuffled back and forth on her feet clearly uncomfortable.  "I told you I came to Uthlyn, against my better judgement, to deliver Mr. Figgins a package.,  She held her hands up at this point and waved them before setting them back at her sides.  "And before you ask me, no I do not know what was in it.  I didn't get paid to look, just deliver it."

She hated this town and she knew he was right.  These narrow minded people would just speak out an easy target such as herself.

"I stayed because he asked me too.  Said if I did he would pay me to take something back with me to the Mage Palax in La'marri."  She shrugged.  "I don't know anything else.  I only met him the other day, I swear...uh, guard."

She ran out of anything else to say and shrugged again.  She was at this humans mercy.

Saber-Five

Aaron Elric felt some guilt for making this girl feel uncomfortable but the demands and stress of his job over the years tend ruin his manners. Still he must continue with the questions, while scratching his brown bearded chin with an index finger.

"I see, but perhaps you missed something. Were you and Figgins at his shop? Did he look stressed to you at the time and was anyone else there?"

Parkway

Ruby sighed and tried to think about the day she entered Figgins shop.  After a few minutes she looked up with a serious tone told him about the day she met and spoke with Figgins.

"I got her super early in the morning so I headed to the tavern.  After a few ciders and a bowl of porridge I went to check to see if his shop was open.  It was.  I went in and he was behind the counter and appeared to be writing, I just thought in his ledger or something."  She stopped and swallowed as she tilted her head and continued.  "He greeted me like any shop keeper would, and added what was a Fae doing in Uthlyn, to which I told him of Mage Palax package.  He was eager to take it.  In fact he seemed very anxious.  So I handed it to him."

Ruby chanced looking directly in his eyes.  "After I handed the package over and all that he handed me a pouch and said there was more of it if I stuck around a few days and took something back to Mage Palax.  So of course I said yes.  I mean who wouldn't."  She held her hands out.  "I didn't use any magic at all.  I just been hanging out at the tavern and speaking the the bard a little."