Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All That We Are [Draconian] [Scrapped/Archived]

Started by DragonSong, November 07, 2015, 08:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Kai looked around the massive stable, eyebrows rising fractionally to show he was impressed (an intense expression of emotion for him). "Nice place," he said quietly from the doorway.

Next to him, Ka'lei snorted derisively, crossing her arms over her chest. His twin's eyes flickered around in a practiced manner, one he knew well; scoping the layout, the potential exits, where not to get cornered. She shrugged, scowling.

He leaned over and bumped her lightly with his shoulder. "C'mon, Lei-lei, it could be worse. And you like horses, don't you?"

"Hmph." She turned her nose up at him. "Doesn't matter what I like. Never has."

Kai sighed. Ahh, his sister. He loved her, but sometimes she truly was impossible. So, as usual, it was up to him to try to make nice, no matter how uncomfortable he was with the role. He took a hesitant step into the building, breathing in the smell of horse and hay. Ka'lei followed at his heels, her glossy black wings shuffling in irritation.

Hesitant was not a good look for her brother, Ka'lei decided. He was too big for it, too noticeable. Looking around, she tried to get a feel for the new hell they'd been dropped into. Barely an hour off the auction block and their new "owner"- her lips curled unconsciously just thinking the word- had lent them out to some stable master or another.

Lent. Like they were pack horses. Or some gardening tools.

Though, she had to admit, some of her anger was tempered by the animals around her. She did like horses, always had, and they tended to return the sentiment.

"Hello?" She was suddenly brought back to the present by Kai's soft call. "We've been sent to work. Who should we report to?"

Draconian

Voices.

Valerian looked up from the horse he was brushing, poking his head out from the stall before he just stared flat out.

Those weren't people.

Well they were people but they weren't people people. Not like he knew them and he stared long and hard at their wings before he took his leave of Searchlight's stall.

Sent to work? Valerian frowned in confusion - must have been something to do with his father who was currently absent. "Uh... Me, I guess." He rubbed his shoulder before he walked towards the pair, his odd gait obvious to them but something simply normal for him. The effects of the fake leg obvious to people who weren't used to his strange way of walking.

Clearing his throat he looked to the two, staring at their wings. "I'm Valerian. I guess... You're here to help with the horses? Or something?" Or something. "Do you eat people?" The question sort of fell out of his mouth before he really realized it but he quickly snapped it shut and blushed.

DragonSong

Ka'lei's mouth fell open. "Are you stupid?" she demanded incredulously. A hand clapped over her mouth before she could get anything else out, the sheer fabric of her slave's veil pressing harshly against her lips. She struggled against her brother's hold, glaring at him, but he was too strong for her.

"Yes, we've been lent to the stablemaster here," Kai said calmly. Deep blue eyes looked the young man up and down, evaluating. "And no. We don't eat people," he said after a long moment. Ka'lei snorted, rolling her eyes. Speak for yourself.

The stranger was embarrassed by his own question, Kai could tell. His lips twitched in an almost-smile, though the expression was mostly hidden by his veil. "We are yours to command," he said evenly, dipping his head respectfully. He would have bowed fully, but his squirming sister prevented him from doing so.

Draconian

Slaves.

Valerian shifted from his good leg to his fake one uncomfortably, looking down at the ground for a few moments. Maybe there was something going on he didn't know about? A brief glance to the pair and he looked over at the big pile of hay he'd been waiting to move. At least this wouldn't take all day. And at least they didn't eat people.

Without saying anything Valerian grabbed a bale of hay, lifted it up and walked down to an open room before placing the hay in.

"So. I guess you're to help me with hay, since... I wasn't even alerted you were coming here." A weary look at the girl who'd snapped at him and his brown eyes focussed on the guy. "What're your names?" Valerian asked, hefting up another bale of hay and walking it to the room. It would be fine. It's take a little under an hour to move this hay with three people instead of taking him all day.

Get some idle chatter going while he could, "Can you fly?"

DragonSong

Kai easily moved to do as he was told while his sister followed more reluctantly, taking a bale of hay each.

"I'm called Kai," he murmured, glancing around the stable, memorizing his surroundings. "My sister's name is Ka'lei."

"Your sister can speak for herself, thanks," the girl grumbled, a semi-permanent scowl etched onto her face.

He glanced back over his shoulder, one eyebrow rising fractionally. "Were you going to?"

His twin huffed and looked away and a quick, tiny smile flashed across his face. He'd thought so.

"We can fly," Ka'lei answered the young man's question, more to prove her brother wrong than because she felt like talking. "Not that we get the chance much," she added under her breath.

Draconian

Kai and Ka'lei.

Clearly the girl-one was angry and Valerian just stared at her while they spoke, eyes wide while they worked. If they were working, did he have to work too? The girl seemed angry at everything so, Valerian picked up another bale of hay and deposited it into the other room just as they were doing.

Knowing that they could fly gave the wings more interest so he stared at them openly. He'd never met anyone- or anything - with extra limbs before and he just... Stared.

"Can I touch them?"

DragonSong

Both siblings froze. Kai just stared at him, startled. Ka'lei looked about ready to bite him, so he reached out and grabbed her arm, squeezing meaningfully.

"I...suppose so," he said after a long moment, tilting his head to the side in a gesture that was almost birdlike. "I only speak for myself in this matter, though." He nodded at his sister.

Ka'lei crossed her arms, jerking away from her twin's hold, and very deliberately looked away, not saying anything. Quite frankly she didn't know how to react- of course her ever-calm brother took it in stride, but no one had ever asked them something like that before. She wasn't sure if she was offended or not.

Sort of hesitantly, Kai let one of his wings unfurl a bit, the subtle greens and blues glinting as they caught the light. "Ah...go ahead, I guess," he muttered after a moment.

Draconian

Valerian was more than happy to touch the wings.

Having lived in Connlaoth his whole life, and being in Wulfbauer almost as long seeing non-humans was a rare occasion and his fingers delved into the feathers with glee. A strange expression was on his face but he looked pleased enough with himself before he snatched his hand back and tucked it into his pocket.

"Sorry. Don't get to see many wings... Working with horses." Wings on people was what he was going to say, but it seemed rude.

"Alright, so... The hay... Once that's done..." Valerian looked at it, frowning slightly before he pursed his lips and tilted his head, pushing a hand through his hair. "I don't really know. Are you sure this is right place you were sent? There isn't really... All that much to do."

DragonSong

Kai shuddered a bit at the foreign sensation of someone touching his wings. It wasn't unpleasant, exactly, it was just very odd. He snapped them back quickly when Valerian was done, feathers shuffling as they folded tight against his spine.

"I suppose you wouldn't," he murmured with a small smile. "And you don't have to apologize. We are here to serve, whatever you ask."

Ka'lei tsked irritably, scowling at the hay they had yet to move. "I'm starting to wish we were sent to the wrong place," she muttered.

Kai smacked the back of her head, not hard enough to really hurt but definitely hard enough to get his point across. She yelped and scowled at him as he dipped into another shallow bow. "We have been lent to a man called Bairn Reine, our master sent us here. If we have made a mistake, I hope we have not inconvenienced you."

"How on earth could we have inconvenienced him?" Ka'lei snipped. "We're helping him lug hay around for gods' sake, it's not as though we're spooking the horses or something!" She suddenly sneezed. It seemed the damn veil was trapping dust and hay particles against her nose and mouth.