Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How Much is That Doggie in the Window? [M]

Started by Zero, November 13, 2015, 02:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Tobias chuckled as he watched the children chase each other around the small yard. It made him ponder his own future children. He thought about watching his own children running and playing around his childhood home, it was easy to imagine their laughter and it filled him with warmth thinking about it.

The wolf wrapped his arm lightly around Tessa's shoulders as she tucked herself against side. He was still watching the children as he listened to what she had to say. "Mm. If you want to go I think we should. It'll be good for me to be up and walking around."

Tobias turned his head so that he could kiss her temple softly. "Besides, if I'm feeling this much better today, in two days I'll be feeling even stronger."

DragonSong

"Mmm." She hummed a quiet agreement and let her head come to rest against his shoulder. Despite herself, a slight yawn overtook her which she quickly raised a hand in an attempt to cover. It was ridiculous--she shouldn't be this tired this soon, particularly after a day of doing little but sewing work.

"Alright, you two!" Michael's voice came from the doorway this time, the boy beckoning to his younger siblings. "Ma says it's time to come in."

The twins groaned and complained, but obeyed, albeit sullenly. Tessa chuckled a bit and shook her head as she watched them troop passed while their brother ushered them back into the house.

Zero

Tobias tilted his head to rest against hers, closing his eyes and just enjoying the moment. He could almost forget all the horrible things, for just a moment. Almost. A soft chuckle was given as Tessa yawned. They both needed to remember to get enough rest right now.

He lifted his head when Micheal called for the twins to come back inside. The children's complaints were met with a soft laugh. Tobias couldn't blame them, how many times had he grumbled as a child when called inside of an evening? He couldn't begin to recall the number of times he'd begged to stay out and play with his friends for just five more minutes.

"Maybe we should head back inside too, darlin'. I know you don't want me to push it." Tobias gently rubbed his hand up her back.

DragonSong

"Mhm, right." She tilted her head back to smile at him a little sleepily, then dropped her hand to take his and pulled his gently after her back into the house.

Michael was busy trying to wrangle the twins into bed, while Jonathan had apparently started a fire in the small hearth and sat just in front of it, leaning back against Della's legs where she sat in a well-worn armchair with an open book in her lap, reading glasses that Tessa only rarely ever saw her wear perched on her nose.

"Alright, I'm heading out," Mia called with a wave as she moved toward the door.

Tessa blinked, a little startled. "Out? But it's getting dark."

"I took that job clerking in the legal district, remember? Only position open was working nights, so far. I'll be home before midnight though, don't worry." She smiled and waved, her parents calling after her to be careful as she slipped out through the front door.

Tessa bit her lip, suddenly irrationally worried, but she knew better than to say anything. Mia was a grown woman, after all.

Zero

Walking hand in hand back into the house, Tobias couldn't stop a soft pang of sorrow as he looked upon the scene. His mother couldn't read, but he was suddenly reminded of quiet nights with his mother sewing in front of the fire, his father settled near her. It took a moment, closing his eyes and trying to shake the memories from his mind, before he opened them again.

Tobias tilted his head when Mia said she was going out. She had taken a clerking job? It was his fault, he realized. Della and Mia had to find new work because of him. The wolf watched Mia head out of the house with a hint of worry. Was a girl walking alone in the dark safe?

"I'm so sorry, Della. I never meant for..." The wolf made a helpless sound and gave a vague gesture, "Any of this."

DragonSong

Della blinked, looking up from her book, and for a moment just stared at him with her brows slightly furrowed. Then her expression cleared and she blinked again, before frowning properly.

"Don't you go doing that," she told him firmly, and returned her attention to her book in a clear dismissal of the apology. "We're getting along just fine. Plenty of people always need a good cook, and Mia's decided she wants to be a magistrate--which means clerking is a first step. She never would have known that about herself if we'd state on at the estate."

Oh, right. Tessa realized she hadn't told Tobias that--well, it hadn't exactly come up. But Mia had been the one to walk circles with her around the legal district the last few months, and the younger woman had grown more and more indignant with how little help they'd found. She;d gone on numerous rants about it, until her father suggested maybe she should look into how one went about entering such a profession. In his words, if she was going to complain about it, she might as well know how it all worked.

Jonathan glanced up from the fire and gave Toby a brief nod, as though to emphasize his wife's words, before adding, "The two of you turning in? You're welcome to sit a while, if you'd like. Della's just put the kettle on for tea."

Zero

"I still caused a lot of trouble for you all." The wolf mumbled softly, "And I had promised you I'd take care of Tessa and, well..."

It pained Tobias to even think of all that his poor mate had been through while he'd been gone. He knew that none of them blamed him for it, of course they didn't, but he still felt guilty and blamed himself. The wolf had failed his mate and unborn pup. They had needed him and he wasn't there.

"What do you think, darlin'? Would you like to sit and have a cup of tea before bed or do you want to turn in now? I would be okay with either." Tobias didn't feel too worn out. It felt good to get out of the room for a while and see the children, get a little fresh air in the garden, and talk to Della and her family again. He also enjoyed the idea of snuggling into bed with his mate curled up  warm and safe against him.

DragonSong

Tessa looked up at him, a slight line between her brows. She knew he still blamed himself for not being there the last few months, which was patently ridiculous. But it wasn't exactly the time or the place to get into that, so she let it slide for the moment.

"I wouldn't mind a cup," she murmured, looking to Della and Jonathan with a small smile. Another yawn threatened to overtake her and she added with a chuckle, "Maybe just the one, though."

Jonathan smiled at her and nodded, getting up to fetch the kettle that had just started to whistle and pour out for cups of tea, which he passed around with murmured warning to be wary of the heat.

Zero

Tobias thanked Jonathan quietly as he was handed a cup and carefully made himself comfortable sitting in front of the fire. This was so nice, so normal. It was hard to put drinking tea by the fire with his family with being tortured mercilessly just a few days before.

"Jonathan, do you go hunting often? If you're planning on going anytime soon I think I'd really like to go with you." The wolf hadn't fully recovered by any stretch, but letting the beast out to hunt would be a relief. That wasn't even considering that he could share what he hunted with Della's family. It wasn't much, but it was a small way that he could repay them.

DragonSong

"Oh, not as often as I'd like," Jon replied as he took his place again. "But I get out every once in a while. The next time I get the chance, you're more than welcome to come along." He inclined his head toward Tessa with a soft smile. "The missus too, if she likes."

Tessa cupped her own tea between her palms and perched on the edge of the only other free chair, nodding for Tobias to take the seat with a quick smile for Jonathan. "Maybe I will. Not sure I'd be any help, but...I liked the woods. I never had much chance to really do things like that before, but I'm always happy to learn."

It was a little odd to speak about. She managed to keep her voice even, small smile in place, but she couldn't think of her only real time out in the wilderness without thinking about--

But they would fix that. Once Toby was better, they'd make new memories. And she knew how much Tobias loved the forests, she was sure he'd be thrilled to get out with Jonathan. 

Zero

"Thanks, I appreciate that." Tobias sent a soft smile to Tessa, glad that Jonathan was willing to include her in their hunting trip, but also wondering if his mate should go out hunting while carrying their pup. He couldn't deny that he loved the idea of her being out hunting with him. She was the center of his world.

"You would be a help, love. I want to share everything with you." Tessa might not have been raised learning about life in the country, but Tobias had no doubt that his beloved would adapt to rural life by his side. He'd teach her all kinds of practical skills, if she wanted to learn them. "We'll turn you into a natural hunter in no time."

He sat on the chair where his mate wanted him and looked at her longingly. If it weren't for the risk of spilling their tea, the wolf would have very much wanted to drag his mate into his lap. As it was he took a slow sip, savoring the warmth that filled him.

DragonSong

Tessa returned Tobais's look with one of her own, eyes soft and lips curved into the hint of a smile. She didn't notice Della and Jonathan exchange a quick look of their own, clearly amused by the younger couple's obvious, sappy adoration.

"Tessa, dear, you've been taking that tonic, haven't you?" Della piped up, still smiling knowingly.

Tessa jerked her eyes away from her husband with a theatric sigh, laughing, "Yes, Dell, I have. I promise. Once a day, just like the midwife said." Her tone was light, but her expression hardened a bit as she looked at the cook.

She didn't want to say it out loud, not in front of Toby, but she knew she really hadn't been taking enough care with herself in the last three months--the past few days had done both her and her husband worlds of good, but Della had been adamant she get an herbal tonic from one of the local healers to help counteract the conjoined effects of malnurishment and working herself to exhaustion.

She didn't want to talk about it. Not now, not when things had finally settled and they were safe and happy. Her hand came to rest on Toby's shoulder, the other hand lifting her cup to her lips for another sip of tea.

Zero

Tobias was still smiling gently at his wife as Della spoke up, he didn't shift his gaze away from Tessa as his mate responded with a laugh.Other emotions crept into the gentle expression, sorrow and regret. He turned his gaze away from Tessa, not wanting her to see the subtle shift.

It was obvious to him that she hadn't taken care of herself in his absence. She had been so thin and worn that day. Her state was impossible to miss. Tobias also didn't want to bring it up, knowing that Tessa didn't want to talk about it. They had been through quite enough and he didn't want to upset his mate with the touchy subject. He felt enough guilt for his inability to take care of her for those months as it was.

"Don't worry Della, she knows if she doesn't eat, rest, and take her tonic that I don't eat or rest either. She can be stubborn alright, but I know how to get her to take care of herself." Tobias turned his eyes back to Tessa, the brown were full of love and a bit of teasing.

DragonSong

Tessa rolled her eyes at him, pouting a bit, but her hand slid up from his shoulder to cup the side of his neck gently as she leaned in to peck his forehead. "Ridiculous man," she accused fondly when she pulled away, shaking her head at him. She let her hand trail down to grasp his, squeezing delicately while she finished off her tea.

"Well, between the two of you maybe you'll actually manage to nag each other into proper care," Della chuckled, earning a quick scowl from Tessa that didn't seem to bother the cook unduly. Jonathan chuckled quietly from his spot by the hearth.

"Speaking of," Della added, cocking her head in Tobias's direction. "Think you'll be up for that trip to the market? It's no rush, mind, just a thought."

Zero

"But I'm your ridiculous man." Tobias smirked at Tessa, eyes twinkling mischievously as she pulled away shaking her head. His mate was so adorable when she pouted, the gesture made him want to kiss her cute, pouting lips. He squeezed her hand back before lacing his fingers through hers.

"Hey now, I try." He shot Della his own pout. Why was she including him? He had done almost nothing but rest and eat! How much more taking care of himself was he supposed to accomplish?

"As much as I like your house, getting out of it for a little bit might be good for me. I'm feeling stronger every day, so I think it's a good idea if you don't mind having us along." Tobias didn't have money to spend at the market, but just stretching his legs and walking around the markets would be invigorating. It wasn't a long run through the woods, but it was definitely a good start.

DragonSong

Lowering her voice so Della and Jon wouldn’t hear, Tessa leaned in to give him another quick peck and murmured, “You’re damn right you are.”

Dell just laughed at them both, shaking her head with all the exasperated fondness of a mother watching her grown children. “I’m glad—not to mention it’ll be nice to have an extra pair of hands to help with the shopping,” she enthused. Then her expression turned a little stern and she added, straightening, “Now, if the two of you want to be at all functional tomorrow, you’d best get some rest.”

“Della!” Tessa protested, laughing. “I’m a grown woman, I don’t need a bedtime. And neither does my husband!”

“Maybe, if you weren’t pregnant and stubborn as a mule, and he wasn’t still healing.” She stood, collecting both her and Jonathan’s cups. “I can’t force you, of course. Only strongly recommend.”

Tessa snorted and rolled her eyes, but she was smiling. Her heart ached at just how clear Della’s affection for them was, and even when she could be a bit smothering, she found herself almost craving the lectures. She would miss her so much when they left.

Zero

Their reactions to Della's strong recommendation was very different. Tobias smiled fondly at Della as she told them they should get some rest, but he simply shook his head as Tessa laughed and protested. He chuckled softly at his strong-willed mate being compared to a mule on stubbornness.

"I don't know, darlin'. Bed actually doesn't sound like a bad idea to me." Tobias hummed softly, wrapping one arm around her waist and leaning his head against her shoulder with his eyes closed. It had been nice joining the family for dinner, but the idea of absconding to bed with his wife was certainly appealing. He wouldn't say he was worn out but snuggling up with Tessa in bed would be nice, even if they didn't sleep right away.

DragonSong

"Oh—" She melted almost immediately, glancing down at where his head rested on her shoulder. "Fine," she huffed, more for the form of the thing than in genuine protest. If she was being honest with herself, the idea of bed was actually very appealing; it had been so good to see Tobias out with the children, to see him smiling so easily, but the thought of curling up in bed, just the two of them, had an allure she couldn't deny.

"Good night then, Della, Jon," Tessa chuckled as she moved to get to her feet. Her fingers laced through Toby's gently and she leaned into his side a bit before moving away back toward the door to their room. She still held her tea cup in one hand, only half finished, but she knew Della wouldn't mind if she took care of it in the morning. Besides, a cup of tea in bed actually sounded pretty good just then.

Zero

"Good night. Dinner was really nice." Tobias smiled at Della and Jon before letting Tessa lead him back to their bedroom. He brought his tea with him as well, and gently set it on the bedside table as soon as he got close enough.

"I'm glad we decided to eat with them tonight. Maybe we'll start having dinner with them more now that I've gotten well enough." It would be nice having meals with the whole family every day, at least as long as neither of them exhausted themselves before supper - and for as long as they remained living with Della's family. He wasn't sure how long that would actually be.

"C'mere love." Tobias said as he sat on the edge of the bed, arms open to Tessa.

DragonSong

Tessa grinned at him, tired but glowingly happy, just for a moment. "I'd really like that," she murmured as she set her cup down beside his. His arms were already open when she turned back to him, and she smiled again. It was so easy to tuck herself into the curve of his body, to wrap her arms around him and turn her face into his shoulder.

She'd almost forgotten how well they fit together. Yet another smile curved her lips and she nuzzled into him. "I'm here," she murmured. "I'm right here. Now what?"