Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Catch of the Day [m]

Started by Draconian, January 28, 2016, 02:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

Gods be damned that's a lot of hair.

Hydra always thought he had a lot of hair. Hell, Lonely Bird had quite the ponytail. This though. He stared at it, reaching forward with all his hands to fingercomb it, this was a lot of hair. How had it not gotten all ripped out?

Well, the ocean was a big place. That was probably how.

"Well, it's just... More comfortable." He brushed one of his hands through his hair and then looked at her hair before he decided it was untangled enough to braid. "Less to lean on or get ripped out if it's all in one spot," He shrugged.

"and I like your hair," was added as a very quiet mumble which could be mistaken for an exhale before he continued the one side.

"You have too much hair for one, so you get two." He stated, giving her little choice. Which was appropriate given her current Captured situation. "Are you hungry?"

DragonSong

He- he liked it?

That struck her as an odd thing to say.

Still, she found herself whispering a soft, "Thank you," hunching her shoulders a bit in an effort to curl in on herself. She sat in silence while his fingers combed through her hair, then started a bit at his question.

She began to turn, then remembered she probably should hold still and let him do his work with her hair. "I- I am," she responded. "I didn't think... Are you allowed to feed me?"

Draconian

He continued to braid her hair, finishing off the long braid with one of the jewel coloured ties he used in his own hair. Appropriately purple so they blended in. Stuck out like sore-thumbs in her hair though - no matter. Onto the other braid, he watched her body language before he tried to smile at her. She wouldn't see it, but Hydra knew he did it and that's what mattered.

"of course. I'm allowed to do anything to you," Hydra paused, "I mean... I'm..." He clicked his tongue, "I'm supposed to take care of you while you're here." Was now an appropriate time for humour? Probably not. "I'm the best looking, so... Clearly I'm the best choice." mmm, definitely not but the words had left his mouth and it was too late to put them back in.

"What do you eat? Uh... Fish?" Hydra had decided the default answer for everything Merfolk Aura-lee was 'Fish'.

DragonSong

Gradually she began to relax as he braided, the tension slowly leaving her shoulders. At his comment she sort of half twisted around to look at him, brow furrowed as she tried to figure out if he was joking or not.

He was hardly unattractive, by her standards at least. It was just his odder features that stood out, but she was growing used to those. Though her own coloring could easily be interpreted as "human" there were plenty of merfolk who'd look more like Hydra than herself. Once she'd gotten over the initial shock of hm having an extra set of arms, she supposed it wasn't exactly any stranger than a tail.

"I eat what I can find," she said with a small shrug, deciding not to address it for now. "Usually, yes, that means fish." She tilted her head a bit, forgetting to hold still so he could braid. "Is that strange? I'd think most people in your...lifestyle would eat fish."

Draconian

[ She's so cute <3 ]

The moving of her head wasn't so bad now that he was halfway through her mop of hair. There was enough there to leave some slack and he finished the braid off quickly, giving it a little playful tug. Not that she would feel it, her hair was so long.

"We eat lots of fish," He decided, "I don't really like mine cooked." Hydra shrugged, "But most of them are preserved so... Don't really have much of a choice." He moved away from the girl, hands out and he moved to sit on the floor, leaning back with one set of arms and the other resting on his knees.

"So... Want some dinner then?" He inquired, "I'm going to guess yes but I don't want to bring you food to ignore it and for it to go bad." He wrinkled his nose, "rotten food smells gross."

DragonSong

[Heehee ^^]

Aura-lee twisted to watch him as he moved away, absently reaching up to pat the braids he'd woven her hair into. Hmm. Interesting. She took the end of one and pulled it over her shoulder, examining it curiously. Well, it certainly made it more convenient to handle.

"Hm?" He'd asked a question. Flushing a bit, she dropped the braid and refocused on him. "Oh...yes," she murmured. "Yes, I'm hungry. Um, please." She drew her legs up onto the bed, folding them under her body the way she would have her tail.

Draconian

Hungry.

Hydra rubbed at his bare chest and pulled the key from his pocket, opening the door wrote quickly shutting it. The door locked on his exit and he pocked the key again. The girl was alone for twenty minutes or so.

Pulling open the door again, he returned to the room with a slam, locking the door and cradling a little pouch of food in his other sets of hands. He was flushed and angry looking, the knuckles of one hand bleeding blood so dark green it looked nearly black. Quickly enough he his his hand behind his back and looked towards the bed.

"Brought food. It's today's rations." He offered her a small smile, a small tilt of his head while he held out the pouch.

Hydra looked around awkwardly.

"Have you ever had candy before?"

DragonSong

The instant he was gone Aura-lee stumbled her way to the door, knees giving out twice but somehow managing to get there eventually. Of course, when she turned the knob it was locked.

Gritting her teeth, she muttered a curse and slumped against the door. She hadn't really expected it to be that easy- she probably wouldn't even have been able to make it back to the deck if she had gotten out- but she couldn't help being disappointed.

Well. Sitting there wallowing wasn't going to get her anywhere. Straightening her shoulders, she decided she was going to practice walking until Hydra got back. It would take her mind off things at least.

She'd managed a few shaky paces around the room, growing more confident with each pass, when the door suddenly opened again. Startled, she collapsed back onto the bed, looking at her keeper with wide eyes. He did not look happy.

Mute, she shook her head in answer to the question. Her eyes flicked to the pouch he held out and her stomach rumbled, but for some reason she found herself focusing on his face, his expression. "Did...something happen?" she ventured quietly, tilting her head at him.

Draconian

Yes.

"No. Everything is okay," Hydra moved to sit down the pouch between his knees and he handed her some dried salted fish, a flask of water and pulled out the exact same for himself. A loaf of bread - stale but edible - was pulled out also and ripped in half.

"Your feast!" He tried to smile before taking a big bite out of the bread, his long canines flashing it what little light was allowed in the room.

"You never answered me," he started after swallowing his food, "have you ever had candy before?"

DragonSong

Aura-lee took the food gratefully, though she gave it an odd look before daring to put it in her mouth. Her eyes widened a bit. Huh. It wasn't bad. Very different than anything she'd ever eaten before, but not bad.

Nibbling at her "feast"- she couldn't help her lips twitching up just a bit at the word- she watched him as he took a bite of his own food. Were those...fangs?

"Oh." She blushed a bit when she realized she hadn't answered him. "No, I haven't." Her brow furrowed slightly. "I don't think I even know that word. Is it another kind of food?"

Draconian

Hydra smiled at her, seemingly excited that he got to show her something new.

He looked at the peppermint sticks in the pouch and nodded to the food "finish your dinner and I'll give you a treat, Aura-Lee."

DragonSong

Still frowning a bit, she shrugged and did as he said, eating quickly. She hadn't realized how hungry she was until she actually had food in front of her.

When she was finished, she tilted her head at him a bit, feeling her two heavy braids fall to the side. "Why...are you being so nice to me?" she asked softly, not accusatory but genuinely curious. "I'm just- cargo to you, right?"

Draconian

Frowning, Hydra watched her, looking her up and down.

"Would you like me to treat you like cargo?" He asked, voice soft. The peppermint candy was held out to her and he gave her a gentle look. He didn't want to explain himself. It would give away too much.

DragonSong

Aura-lee just stared at him for a long moment. Her common sense told her she shouldn't trust him, shouldn't trust the reassuring voice and the gentle eyes. But...well, he'd already had plenty of opportunities to treat her poorly, and yet he'd been kind to her, much kinder than she could have expected anyway.

"No," she murmured, reaching out to take the offered candy. "I just...I don't understand." Shaking her head slightly, she looked between him and the treat she now held. "What do I do with it?"

Draconian

A small smile and he popped the treat he got for himself into his mouth.

Hydra licked it, his tongue snaking out before he pulled it away with a smacking sound.

"You suck on it. It's peppermint." Hydra smiled at her, popping his treat back into his mouth, "it's made of sugar."

DragonSong

Slowly, warily, Aura-lee mimicked him, placing the peppermint in her mouth.

Her eyes went very round. "Oh!" she exclaimed, looking at him and blinking. "It's cold!" Then she frowned and shook her head. "No. No it just- tastes cold?" How was that even possible? But it was the best description she could come up with.

"This is sugar?" she asked, tilting her head from side to side as she sucked on the candy. Now that the strangeness of the flavor was wearing off, she found that it was quite pleasant. "Where's it come from? Where did you get it?"

Draconian

Hydra smiled slightly, glad to have gotten her mind off of her capture - if only for a few moments.

"It's melted. By fire." Did she know what fire was? "The peppermint flavour is added and you get this!" Hydra held out his stick with a smile before popping it back in his mouth and moving to the pile of blankets on the ground to which he laid down on.

One set of arms behind his head and the other resting on his belly.

"It came from the pantry," he shrugged, not mentioning he'd had to pay for it.

DragonSong

Fire. She knew the word, but had no experience to attach real meaning to it. Falling quiet, she licked delicately at the candy and watched him settle in.

"Fire makes things warm, right?" she mused aloud, drawing her feet up onto the bed so her knees were tucked under her chin. "Then how does the...peppermint taste cold?"

Her eyebrows drew together in confusion. Barely an hour out of the sea and she felt hopelessly lost, in more ways than one. She closed her eyes with a heavy breath. "I'm never going to make sense of all this," she muttered, more to herself than him.

The sudden sense of dejection didn't stop her from continuing to lick her stick of candy though.

Draconian

Fire makes things warm. Hydra gave an amused snort, giving her a side eyed look before he closed his eyes, still sucking on the peppermint. "The mint, I guess," Hydra shrugged, "It's a plant and it... Makes your tongue all tingly."  It wasn't any big deal, right? Except maybe to a mermaid.

Or whatever she was.

"You'll make sense of it fine," He looked at her briefly from his place on the floor. Deciding then that he wouldn't tell her that the bed was for him and this pile of blankets on the floor was for their 'special guests'. "Sun'll be down soon," He commented idly, "unless there's a storm it everyone'll be asleep with it."

A brief look at the blankets and he frowned slightly, "You don't sleep like... Upside down or anything do you?"

DragonSong

A plant? Aura-lee looked at the candy. How did that come from a plant? She shook her head, putting it from her mind. The mention of a storm made her shiver slightly; she'd always dove deep under the water when such things occurred, keeping herself as far from the surface as possible.

What would happen if there was one?

Snapping out of her nervous musings, she blinked at him incredulously. "Why in the name of the tides would I do something like that?" she asked, a surprised sort of laugh bubbling out of her as she tilted her head. "I sleep like this."

Adjusting her braids a bit, Aura-lee lay down on the bed. It was a little strange- in the ocean she would sort of float while she slept, she usually had to anchor herself with seaweed or something so she didn't drift away- but the positioning was mostly familiar.

Sitting up a bit again, she gave Hydra and odd look and asked, "Do you sleep upside down?" Perhaps that was a common practice on land?

Tags: