Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where Rumors Grow [M] [Giraffe]

Started by Goldie, November 02, 2023, 06:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

Jelani only glanced at the paper but didn't pay it any mind, at least outwardly. She recognized the handwriting and the style immediately and didn't need to dwell on it when more immediate dangers faced them. Anger would cloud her judgement, was clouding her judgement.

She could not properly lead while she was angry.

What she could do, however, was ensure that Pyla was cared for and the council made aware of the severity of their plight. Someone was trying to eliminate them. Someone who knew them well enough that they could control their movements like puppets.

"We can't face them, Pyla." she murmurs we softly, "Not by ourselves and certainly not in our condition. You need your strength or you'll be no use to me or to our family."
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

wandering_giraffe

Something seemed to click in Pyla's mind. She weakly pushed herself up more in bed, so she was leaning up more. She extended a shaky hand for the dried fruit.
"Ok...I'll eat...but afterwards...after we're better...what's the plan? Are these people that helped us to be trusted?" After every question she would pause and take a long sip of water. Honestly Pyla felt sick to her stomach, like anything else would make her throw up, but she kept drinking water.
Zephyr had curled up by Pyla, and was alertly watching the door.

Pyla quietly felt her injured arm. It was cold to the touch.
"Perhaps I could have more medicine..." Pyla quietly asked, merely touching her arm sent spikes of pain all the way to her head.
"Can I do anything for you, Jelani?" Pyla asked, wanting to be there for Jelani like Jelani had for her.

Goldie

Jelani just smiled sadly, though unintentionally, down at Pyla and gave her good hand a gentle, reassuring squeeze.

"No, sister." She reached forward and brushed a stray hair from her face, "As long as you regain your strength, I'll have everything I need."

Then she stood and walked to the door. She hadn't missed Pyla's reaction when she touched her arm and was determined to find something that could help take the edge off the pain. These women helping them should have something - nothing that could come close to the healing touch of magic, but something that could be of assistance.

Not a short time later, one of the women returned with a steaming hot mug of tea mixed with a tincture that would help, not only with the pain, but with the infection as well.

"Here." She placed it on the side table, knowing better than to try and hand it directly to the woman with only one good hand. Jelani stood by the woman's side and nodded in encouragement to Pyla. It is safe, the nod relayed, you are safe.

And she needed to be well enough to travel by the morning. They couldn't delay any longer.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla gratefully took the tea, slowly sipping it.
The tea tasted bitter but had a slightly sweet aftertaste. Pyla wrinkled her nose at the taste but finished it, setting the cup down carefully on the side table. 
The tea seemed to put Pyla to sleep, and she slept till the next morning. Pyla woke up with a start, the intense pain in her injured arm having faded to a dull ache. 
She felt much better. 
"I think....I think this is as good as I'm going to feel," Pyla quietly said, before sitting up and forcing herself to swing her legs over the side of the bed. 
"Thank you for the tea...and for taking care of me." 
"If you'll just lead, I think I can walk." 

Goldie

Jelani took the time Pyla slept to examine their surroundings and prepare for their departure. It should only take them a day to travel back home with a decent pace, and their camels were well rested, fed, and ready for the journey. Pyla, however...

But that didn't matter. They had to leave. Pyla's condition wasn't going to get better anytime soon and they couldn't just stay to wait for her to get stronger. Jelani would just have to hope she wouldn't get worse on the way.

The women had taken great care of them and the tiny village had done so much for two strangers. She would make sure to compensate them once she was able to work it out with the elders. They wouldn't deny her, of that she was sure, and the Mtetezi always paid their debts.

She returned to Pyla's side when informed her sister had woken and nodded when she declared herself ready.

"Good." She replied, making sure to contain all of her doubts and fears. She needed to be strong. She always needed to present herself with strength and competence, "We're off, then."

They were doted over by the villagers as they left and had a good amount of food and trinkets that could help with survival that were already loaded into their saddle bags. Jelani had told them they had a ways to go to reach their home, not wanting them to know where they actually lived, and the people had come through.

Then they were off, the sun still slowly rising from the east.

wandering_giraffe

Pyla was concernedly quiet the entire journey back to their home base. 
When they got back, Pyla took care of her camel, and then headed to her room. Her arm was throbbing.

Once Pyla got to her own room, she practically collapsed onto her bed, letting her knapsack just fall onto the floor.  Anger was building in her.
She just wanted to scream at herself. She had failed. She had almost gotten both her and Jelani killed. And she lost a hand, potentially hindering her ability to fight. 
Pyla angrily sat up.
And then there were the relentless memories. 
She just wanted to forget the last few days.
She wanted to forget those awful men. She wanted to forget everything.  She let out an angry, painful yell. 
"I'm useless!" she angrily yelled to the empty room. Pyla stood up and grabbed her knapsack that had fallen on the floor and angrily launched it at the opposite side of the room, the knapsack hitting the wall with a crash. 
"Fucking USELESS!"
And she collapsed to her knees with an angry yell before breaking down into sobbing.

Zephyr had watched the whole thing happen and anxiously flew off to find Jelani.