Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Untamed, Unbroken, Unbound [Rhi-Rhi]

Started by DragonSong, February 01, 2016, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"No!" She scowled and folded her arms. "Of course not, I just...forgot to dry my hair more, that's all." She huffed and mumbled with a glance at the floor, "Sorry."

Another huffing breath and she tossed her hair- rather reminiscent of a spirited horse, though she didn't realize it. "Just- where am I supposed to sleep? Horse Lords, a body could get lost just trying to find a latrine in this place."

Rhindeer

"You'll sleep in your room, of course," Qismat answered like it was the most obvious question ever. He wiped his cheek where some of the water from her hair had splashed. "I've had one prepared for you. When you're ready to retire, all you need to do is ask to be shown it."

He cocked his head curiously. "Were you ready to retire?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Lani's cheeks colored a bit at the rather obvious answer and she sucked at her teeth, eyes on the floor.

"I- suppose. Sure. If you don't...require anything else of me, sir." She winced a bit internally, feeling awkward and out of place.

Rhindeer

"Nothing that I can't do for myself," Qismat answered with a wry smile as he rose from his seat. He motioned Lani aside so he could exit the room, and with a nod her way, indicated she should follow.

"I'll show you to your quarters. It's not much, but as I promised, you'll be able to furnish it later. Right now it's very basic, but I assure you it's at least comfortable and private. If you need anything, you can ask one of my servants, but don't be afraid to wander freely. My home is your home, and there's no room that's forbidden to you. You could even leave if you wanted, but I'd advise against that just yet. Ah, here we are."

Qismat paused outside a door and opened it, revealing a sparsely furnished room--though what furniture was present was elaborate. There was a table and washbasin, a tall wardrobe, and a canopy bed large enough to fit several people, the red, tasseled curtains currently tied back.

"I hope that'll suffice."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Lani gave a low whistle when she saw the room, shaking her head-- not a denial, just a sense of bewilderment.

"Yeah, I think it'll suffice just fine," she murmured, carefully picking her way around the perimeter of the space, checking for any hidden nasties or easy methods of escape. An old habit, almost an instinct, that she didn't even realize she was doing.

Rhindeer

Qismat arched an eyebrow as Lani explored her room like a soldier entering hostile territory, and cocked his head. "Mm, last I checked it was also free of booby traps and monsters," he lightly remarked.

DragonSong

She froze, then winced a bit and twisted to face him. "Uh, yeah. Right. Sorry, it's...old habit, I guess."

Lani  shrugged a bit, then allowed her shoulders to relax slightly and moved toward the bed, perching a little cautiously on the edge of it.

Her eyes immediately fluttered closed and she let out a long breath, flipping back into the mattress. "Oh, Horse Lords, that is soft," she sighed blissfully.

Rhindeer

Qismat watched her in amusement, though not without a twinge of sadness. The girl had been a slave; she wouldn't know of any comforts. He could relate to that; maybe not to being a slave, but to living a hard life and being mystified by comforts he now took for granted. His old life could have happened lifetimes ago, for how far he was now removed from it.

Poor girl. He couldn't begin to imagine what she'd been through, to make her so hyper-vigilant, but he was glad he could show her some tenderness after all the violence.

"You'll have to tell me about these 'horse lords' sometime," he said with a small smile as she discovered the wonders of an actual bed. "For now, rest well, Lani. You're safe here, and I promise no harm will ever come to you so long as you live under my roof."

DragonSong

"Oh." Lani blinked up at him, pushing herself up onto her elbows. "Well...thanks."

She offered a cautious smile at his comment about her frequent oaths. She couldn't remember the last time someone had actually seemed interested in the things she said-- let alone something that she viewed personally as connecting her to her heritage.

Of course, that thought drew the smile from her lips, and she looked down again, eyes distant. "Yeah. Uh, remind me, I'll tell you about them."

She sighed and laid back down. She couldn't truly relax with someone else still in the room, but it was worlds better than she'd felt it...gods, she didn't even know how long. "Really. Thanks."

Rhindeer

"It's my pleasure," Qismat said with a small bow, and then he closed the door behind him and left her to her privacy.

It had been a long day, indeed, and as much as he enjoyed playing the host, he had a few business contracts to wrap up--and a bed that was eagerly awaiting him.

He hoped Farha--his favorite concubine--would be waiting for him, too.

DragonSong

Lani nodded at him again as he left, then flopped back fully onto the bed with a sigh.

She still ached, was still sore, but for the first time in years she wasn't actively hurting. Nor was she hungry or thirsty, which seemed just as much a miracle. In fact, she was almost worried that she'd be too comfortable to sleep.

She needn't have bothered worrying. Within moments, she was unconscious.

Rhindeer

Qismat was always an early riser, and he let Farha sleep as he rose from bed for the dawn prayer. He never missed a prayer session, for he owed his life to Hakeshna; she had answered him when he needed it most.

After that, it was his usual routine. Wash, dress, take care of pressing business matters early so they were done and out of the way, eat a light breakfast. He let Lani sleep, knowing she no doubt needed it, and besides, she would have to get up soon enough. The healer was scheduled to arrive soon--and Lani was just going to have to deal with that! He knew she had to be hurting, but like a wounded animal, she was hiding anything and everything that could be perceived as weakness.

Half an hour before the healer was scheduled to arrive, Qismat decided it was about time. Lani would probably want some time to get decent, or grab a quick meal. Not wanting to be the one to wake her, in case a man coming to her bedroom while she was sleeping would spook her, he flagged down Bridget for the task.

Dutifully, the young woman approached the door to Lani's room and gave a quick knock. "Miss Lani?" she called. "Prince Nejem says it's time to get up!"

DragonSong

Lani jerked awake, rolling off the bed and landing in a fighter's crouch. She winced and cursed colorfully as her battered body protested the movement.

Then she actually woke up, realized she wasn't in danger, and straightened up a little sheepishly. "Oh, uh...thanks. I'm up."

Rhindeer

Bridget blinked, hearing a thud on the other side of the door, and then a lot of words that made her face color. That girl sure had a...creative way with words. She cleared her throat and leaned in closer to the door, trying to listen in.

"Is, er...everything okay, Miss Lani?"

DragonSong

"Oh. Uh, yeah, everything's fine!" Lani found herself flushing a bit. The gladiator pits weren't exactly the classiest of places, and it wasn't like her wandering tribe had worried much about foul language.

Seemed she'd better start watching her tongue around here.

Straightening out her clothes as best she could, she moved toward the door and cracked it open. "Uh-- what's going on? ...Prince Nejem need to see me?"

Rhindeer

Bridget peeked back at Lani through the crack, eyebrow raised. This girl was...odd.

"He said the doctor will be here soon, so he wanted you to have some time to get ready," she said.

DragonSong

"Huh. Okay. Thanks." Lani nodded to her, moved to shut the door, then hesitated. Was she supposed to invite her in? Send her away? Just shut the door in her face?

Horse Lords, at least in the pits she didn't have to worry about social niceties.

"Is there, uh, anything else, Bridget?"

Rhindeer

"Ah...no. That was all, miss," Bridget said. "That is, unless there's anything you needed...?"

She was supposed to be the woman's personal servant, after all. But she wasn't sure how to navigate this. The woman was rough around the edges, sure, but not enough that the awkwardness and vulnerability of being in such a foreign situation didn't shine through, which made for an odd mix that Bridget wasn't used to. Should she leave her alone? Offer to help? She wanted to be useful, but she didn't want to step on any toes.

She was used to serving those who knew what they wanted!

DragonSong

"Anything I need?"

A horrifying realization dawned on her. She blinked. "Um...Bridget...when you said, last night, that Prince Nejem wanted you to...help me out and whatever-- was that, like, a permanent appointment?"

Rhindeer

Bridget stared blankly through the crack at Lani.

"Yes. Of course it was. I am your personal servant, after all."