Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crouching Owl, Hidden Leopard

Started by Rhindeer, February 25, 2016, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

While her attacker was "distracted", Owl leaped to her feet, biting back her triumphant grin, and snatched up her sword, feet feather silent, thanks to her boots from Rufus. Sword in hand, she wasted no time in going on the offensive as she came up behind him--and swung a hard blow for his kidneys, aiming with the handle of her dagger.

The aim, after all, was to disable, not kill.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Ah, the old kidney punch. A venerable, if not crude technique.

Herrick spun about, glancing the handle of her dagger off of his cloak and brought his rapier in for a quick thrust. He aimed it so that it'd cut along the side of her enchanted armor.

It'd sting and draw blood, but it was far from lethal.

Rhindeer

His blade glanced off her armor as though it were plate mail, even though it was only leather, but it was still far too close for comfort. Quickly Owl retreated a couple steps into the false darkness, then lunged forward again and feinted a thrust with her sabre to his chest, before swinging low for his legs.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Damned armor! He was hoping the magical properties of his rapier would counter her magical armor, but he supposed that just would've been too easy. And he didn't want to use Cheesecutter, since Owl'd no doubt recognize the blade.

She feinted, and Herrick jumped backwards and out of her reach. He took a throwing knife and sent it sailing towards her leg, aiming to distract her as he moved in to feint with his rapier and then snap a high kick at her head.

Rhindeer

Owl could see just fine through her own illusions, so she saw the blade whizzing for her and twisted to the side--but the distraction cost her precious seconds. She steadied herself just in time to parry his feint almost too late, but his kick got her right in the head, over the blow she'd already taken.

With a cry she went down, tumbling onto her side as the world spun and her head screamed even through the protection of her mask, but she knew she had no time to stay down, because inaction was death and this guy seemed fucking out to kill her. She kicked out at his knees with her feet, aiming to hook them around a leg and pull him down with her.

DaGlobster

She kicked out at his legs, and she actually did manage to hook a leg and pull Herrick down. He hit the ground with a grunt, but he was far from out of the fight, and he was ready to defend himself as he got ready to kip back up onto his feet.

Rhindeer

Owl didn't give him the chance.

Her ears were ringing and head was throbbing, but her assailant was close to her now--and she lunged for him, knowing it was kind of crazy, but deciding to take the chance. She landed on him while he was still preparing to kip up, straddling his chest, and brought her ice dagger to his throat.

"Don't move!"

DaGlobster

Well, Gods be damned.

She got him! Beneath his mask, Herrick was grinning, and he kind of hoped Owl would take his mask off to see it for herself.

Rhindeer

Owl glared him down, dagger still threatening to pierce his skin, and it was only when she was certain he wouldn't struggle that she grabbed for his mask. She kept the dagger firm against him as she peeled it off.

"Damned copycat," she grumbled, and then snorted. "Hah, get it? Copycat? I'm hilarious. Well, I sure hope it was worth it, because after tonight you're--Herrick?"

She stared down at him, mask in her hand, and just gaped.

DaGlobster

Oh Gods, yes!

Her face alone made it all worth it.

"Hello, Princess," Herrick said, looking up at her with that signature grin of his.

"Gotta say, really outdone yourself this time. What do you think of the mask?"

Rhindeer

Owl just stared.

And stared.

And stared some more.

Somehow through the fight she had kept her cool, managed not to panic even when it felt her attacker might best her, and kept a clear head even when he'd rattled her brains. Beneath all that, though, she'd frankly been scared shitless. She'd taken on other lowlife thugs, but he was the first since Smed or Varian who actually stood a chance of winning.

For a terrifying moment, she thought he might, and then...well...she knew good and well what sorts of things could happen.

Now, as the adrenaline faded and she stared down at Herrick, and realized she was safe and had never even been in real danger, all that panic came rushing in somewhat delayed--and with it, a spark of anger.

With a sudden growl,  she punched him in the jaw. "You bastard! You scared the SHIT outta me!"

DaGlobster

Yeah, Herrick wasn't going to take that, though. While she'd been busy staring at him, he'd gotten an arm loose, and he raised a hand to catch her fist as it came flying at his jaw.

"That was the point!" Herrick said.

"You were faced with an unknown attacker of... more or less equal skill, and you came out on top!"

He gave her leg a pat.

"I asked you a question, though. What'd you think of the mask? Think it'll be good for fighting crime with you?"

Rhindeer

Owl sucked in a breath through clenched teeth, willing her heart to stop racing and breathing to normalize. Yes, that was the point, and that was clever, but she had a headache to kill and was still coming down off of what she had thought was a life or death situation!

Letting her breath out through her nose, she let her shoulders slouch and pulled slid her hand out of his fist.

Wait a minute. She...had come out on top here. She had beat Herrick. She rubbed at her head, slowly registering that beneath the amped up fight or flight instincts gnawing at her.

"It's...wait. Fight crime? Are you saying you're gonna stop your criminal stuff and--wait." She blinked, doing a double take. "Where'd your hair go?"

DaGlobster

"Yeah," Herrick said.

"Surprise! I sorta figured I'd debut the outfit, get your thoughts on it, yeah?" Herrick said. He passed a hand over his buzz-cut.

"And yeah, I had to cut my glorious locks so you wouldn't recognize me. Don't fret, it'll all grow back. Isn't the first time I've had to do it."

Rhindeer

Realizing she was still straddling Herrick, Owl gave a small start and moved off of him to sit next to him instead. She pulled off her mask, letting her skin breathe, her face sweaty and flushed as she used it to fan herself instead.

"Damn, it's short," she said, and rubbed her head again, still taking it in. "And, uh, your outfit is...it's nice. Heh. Sorry I called you a copycat. Kinda. It was a good pun, not sorry about that. But seriously, you're...you're for reals quitting the crime thing? Really?"

DaGlobster

Once Einin took off her mask and un-straddled him, Herrick sat up alongside her.

"Yup. You've convinced me to change my heart," Herrick said.

"Figured I've robbed enough nobles and royalty for one lifetime."

He looked to her, and reached on over to pick the leopard mask back up.

"You may now call me... The Leopard!" he declared.

Rhindeer

"I...I have?"

Owl gave "The Leopard" a curious look, eyebrow raised. "So why the change of heart, Leopard?"

DaGlobster

"Call it..."

Herrick looked thoughtful for a few moments, then he laughed.

"Don't quite know specifically, actually. I just... You do some good work, Princess. I guess you could sort of say that I look up to you, in a way?"

Rhindeer

"You look up to me?" Owl repeated. This night was getting wilder and wilder by the moment!

"I think you kicked me harder than I thought."

DaGlobster

"I mean, I kicked you pretty hard," Herrick admitted.

"But you ain't hearing things."