Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crouching Owl, Hidden Leopard

Started by Rhindeer, February 25, 2016, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Huh!"

Still rubbing her temple, Owl cocked her head. "Well, can't say I'm sad to hear that. About damned time you went straight! Saves me the trouble of having to turn you in later."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Truly, your vote of confidence fills me with inspiration."

Herrick stood up, and offered Owl his hand, in case her head was a bit too rocked up and she needed the leverage.

"Let's get you something for that bruise on your head."

Rhindeer

Owl grabbed his hand and hauled herself to her feet, wincing, and let her illusion drop as she did. Her head still throbbed, but she wasn't concussed, so that was a positive thing!

She sheathed her sword and dagger when she was up, and put her mask back on, tucking any loose hairs that had fallen out during their scuffle back into her ponytail. "So was that tonight's training, or is there more? 'Cause if there's more I'm throwing it out there right now that I'm rebelling. I already worked extra tonight taking down some creep, and then you had to jump me! I think that's a pretty full night."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Well, I'd say "creep" is a bit light of a term for the guy you busted up," Herrick said. He shot her a knowing look.

"Before you ask, I was shadowing you the whole time. The original plan was to ambush you on the street, but once I saw what you were doing, I decided to wait here," Herrick said.

Herrick put the balaclava back on and slipped the mask on over it.

"Let's call it a night. I'm gonna be going with you on your "patrols" now, so remember to wake me up before you sneak out."

Rhindeer

Owl gave him a squinty-eyed look when he admitted to tailing her, but then she just shook her head and dusted herself off.

"Well, before I knew you were following me, I didn't wanna freak you out by saying I'd just taken down a notorious, murdering child rapist," she said, and barely repressed a shudder as soon as she said the words. It was...difficult not to think about what she'd witnessed. What she'd almost witnessed. To think about what could have happened, and what had happened to the others she couldn't save. It was much better to think about the boy she had saved, and that the man was now behind bars--and would, hopefully, never hurt a soul again.

She rolled her shoulders back and took a deep breath. Being a hero was...emotionally difficult work, as it had turned out. But it was also rewarding, and it was that desire to help people, and the small little flickers of progress she saw, that made it all worth it. It would get easier with time, she'd been told.

"Anyway, I suppose it'll be my turn to teach you things, now. Teach you how to be good and honest. Inspire hope rather than fear! Well...you can still inspire fear, you just have to direct it at the awful people who deserve it."

She adjusted her mask, and then began to walk, still a little unsteady and achy.

DaGlobster

"Heh, teachers teaching teachers," Herrick said, and he followed along next to Owl. While he wanted to retort with the fact that he wasn't particularly bad or dishonest, he let Owl have her little moment.

"How's your back? Still bruised after that tumble you took a few days ago?"

Rhindeer

"Yeah, but it's not as bad as before. Just a little stiff, but nothing I can't handle," Owl said with a grin, slipping out of the warehouse and into the night.

"I'm tougher than I look, you know."

DaGlobster

[So I know it was a big "on-the-fence" issue in the past, but Herrick and Einin are gonna ship, right? Riiiiiiight? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?]

"I don't care how tough you look. Damn near slipped off the roof. What did I tell you about wet shingles?" Herrick chided, acting a bit more "teacherly" than even he would've liked.

"Although I ain't doubting how tough you are. I'm just bein' worried."

Rhindeer

[I'm kinda just seeing where the chips fall, to be honest! She's still overcoming heartbreak! (Her feels went a lot deeper than I realized initially.) D8 And still working through a lot of issues. xD]

With a snort, Owl rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at Herrick. "What are you, now? My father?" she said with a laugh.

"Spare me the lecture, dad! Besides, I didn't fall off the roof. Just almost. But almost doesn't count. It was fiiine."

DaGlobster

"Almost broke your neck, is what you did," Herrick chuckled, and he nudged her with an elbow.

"By the way, great job beating me. Next time I won't go so easy on ya."

Rhindeer

"Easy?" Owl repeated, and spun toward him to give him an incredulous look.

"Don't tell me you were holding yourself back."

DaGlobster

[Herrick'll kiss away the wounds, don't ya worry ;D]

"Well, as you know, I had to keep from using my main style, 'lest you recognize me," Herrick said.

"No pistol, no Cheesecutter, none of that," he added.

"However, you shouldn't feel like you accomplished less now. Just know it's going to be harder next time."

Rhindeer

"Hah, well, I hope you wouldn't use your pistol anyway. I can hide cuts and bruises. Not sure I could hide a full on hole in my body," Owl said as they neared her home.

She slowed as they approached, feeling a little anxious at the sight of it, and sighed as she came to a stop. She was tired and ready for a rest, but...

"I don't think I'm ready to go home yet."

DaGlobster

"Relax, I would've used it in a nonlethal fashion. Think less bullet and black powder, more leather ball and firework powder," Herrick said, and he paused to take in the sight of her home.

If anyone asked him about the place, he could probably say the Biernes have the comfiest attic.

At Einin's declaration, Herrick looked to her, and he tilted his head a bit so she could know he was curious without him having to take his mask off.

"Hm, really? What'd you have in mind?"

Rhindeer

"I don't know," Owl said, frowning. "But somewhere other than home just yet. Anywhere, really."

And she turned away from the place and started to walk, picking a direction at random. "I wanna enjoy the outdoors while I can! It's a nice night," she said by way of explanation. "And I'm going to be all stuffed up indoors tomorrow, anyway," she added in a mumble.

Which was, of course, the source of her anxiety, an anxiety that had been gradually building, but which she had been keeping gloriously distracted so she didn't have to deal with it. Which was, of course, her favorite method of dealing with problems. Her birthday was fast approaching, as was Ryk's wedding, which meant lots of dress fittings and sizings, which meant her family throwing her at potential suitors, which meant added pressure to wed, and which meant...well...

Which also meant seeing Ryk actually get married.

DaGlobster

"Hm," Herrick said, falling into step beside Owl.

"A run, then? Nice and easy, over the slum rooftops?"

He could tell something was off, but he just couldn't quite place it. He'd just go along with her, for now.

Rhindeer

"You really are trying to kill me!" Owl said, rubbing her sore head again. "But sure, I can probably manage. Race you!"

And with that said, she tore off down the street, heading away from the noble district and toward the seedier part of town.

DaGlobster

Herrick took off just after her, his greater height allowing him to catch up with long, graceful strides.

Rhindeer

Soon enough, they reached the slums, and when they did Owl wasted no time in springing from a crate and vaulting up onto a ramshackle roof. She was sore, and her back and shoulders complained, but she ignored the ache as well as she could as she dashed over the roof.

DaGlobster

Herrick ascended in a similar fashion, using a carriage to step up and then leap onto the roofs behind her. The slums were easy to free-run over, since most buildings featured flat roofs, and were usually spaced pretty close to one another. The challenge came from dodging laundry lines, rooftop gardens, and other rooftop clutter.