Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Room with a View

Started by visualspice, March 17, 2016, 02:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jounin64

Aldwin stuck to the shadows, examining every possible escape route, and eavesdropping on every conversation.  "Very interesting...there are people willing riot against the nobles, but not support the mages. They believe that they're not properly safe from the of Duke Turgall...well this is defiantly a fear I can play with." The Witch Doctor mutters to himself.

Emerging from the shadows, Aldwin wades through the sea of people spreading dissent by whispering one simple sentence. "Turgall's army is approaching." He doesn't stay long enough to hear their reaction, by the time he goes from one side of the crowd to the other, Aldwin already returned to the depths of the shadows.

DragonSong

"Well..." Fiona tilted her head as she glanced in the direction Jack indicated, hedging. "I- I don't know. Maybe?" She blinked up at him, starting to feel incredibly agoraphobic. "Do you think we should...I dunno, do you want to talk to her?"

Anything to get them out of this crowd at this point.

Cambie

"Yeah, the wrong bridge talk," Fletcher replied, still peering through the looking glass.  Down below, he could see the shouting match that was beginning to develop between the speaker and his frustrated audience. "If they don't fix the broken one, this City will have plenty of other problems to deal with aside from an architectural monstrosity." It was a terrible design in his view, but he was a gunsmith not a structural engineer.

He looked back at the man (who was not a scholar he recognized, but Fletcher hardly spent time up in this Tower anyway) and to the wine sitting upon the table.  After a brief second he smirked and nodded, but added, "If the other Masters see you up here with that, you'll be pissing sitting down for a month."

Saber-Five

Inside the bell tower of a nearby chapel, Nemesis watched on as the situation worsen down at the city square. He had an excellent vantage point from this spot. Sure it didn't command a perfect view like  Uthlyn's main tower, but this church served its purpose well enough. He eariler had thought about staying on the rooftops of buildings. Yet Nemesis realized that any onlookers above in the large could spot easily with a looking glass.

So the church gave him the added benefit of remaining hidden. That fool of a speaker needed to somehow appease the growing mob or just leave already, Nemesis thought in utter frustration. The Justice Seeker had pulled out his crossbow and loaded with an explosive fused arrow. Preparations were certainly needed at this point.

visualspice

"I won't tell if you won't," the man said, and handed Fletcher a glass. "Besides, I'm pretty sure the whole of Uthlyn has bigger problems at the moment." While Fletcher continued his scouting, Cullen peered over top of his head. The window, was thankfully, big enough for the both of them. He caught wind of something, some more words coming from the crowd. He couldn't help but chuckle.

"Uthlyn's are supposed to be the most educated of all of Connlaoth, yet they're starting to believe the Turgallian army is on it's way. If they were paying enough attention, they'd know the army has been split up, most pieces heading North."

~*~*~*~

Down below, Jack continued to look around like a suspicious cat.
"What? Why would we go talk to her? What if she's some spy out to get us?" He moved to roll his shoulders, cracking them as he did. "Come on, let's just get out of here. This many people is making me nervous."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Fiona nodded quickly, itching to be away from the crowd now. "Do you really think there'd be some sort of...spy after us?" she asked quietly, eyes wide.

TreeFolk

Ailbe found herself in the small courtyard at the foot of the tower she'd been looking at earlier. Looking over her shoulder, she noted gratefully the absence of the man and woman she'd believed had been following her. Perhaps she had just been paranoid, but the man had stared at her rather openly. But surely he would not have looked at her so brazenly if he was really following her.

She looked back up towards the tower window before shrugging out of her raincoat again, eyes still glued on the crowd. Her fingers flicked to the small fishing knife attached at her waist, wishing she had something more... Wishing she had a bit more fighting practice to defend herself. Toughness could only go so far in comparison with sheer skill, and if that man had actually been following her she wouldn't be too hard to capture or kill... Just like her father, her brother, her sisters, her mother. Only her brother Lorcan knew how to fight, but he had never thought to teach his little sister how. She'd only ever been taught stealth, to run when there was danger. That wouldn't always work though. Hadn't worked.

As she watched the crowd, Ailbe made a resolution to herself. She would learn to fight, to defend herself and those she loved. Even if she should never find Cullen, she would find a way to learn so that she could rescue her family all on her own!

Jounin64

Waiting, silently observing, Aldwin hides away just enough to not be seen. He's planted the seed of doubt, and now he'll watch it grow. At this moment The Witch Doctor made an executive decision to hold off his subjects for now, he wants to see how unstable this city truly is.

During his observation though, he noticed a woman walking rather briskly. His curiosity was peaked once she drew a knife. He could use some allies here, the bardic shopkeeper is his only agent in Uthlyn, and he'll need more than that to successfully escape. Emerging from the shadows he approaches the woman.

"You are holding that knife wrong, if you intend to attack another being, then I'm afraid to tell you that you'll loose that confrontation. That grip makes me think that you're ready to prepare me dinner." Aldwin draws one of his own knives out of his coat. "You see this is the proper position."

Cambie

Eye still glued to the looking glass, he accepted the cup with a gracious "Thanks."  A quick sip of it brought a wide grin to his face.  By Ansgar, against protocol or not, that was a good vintage.  He set down the cup on the windowsill next to an old copy of Winslow's Alchemical Transmutations, which brought up sour memories.  "Now that's the way to get through a class.  Who was your Master in here, Barentsz?  No wonder you've resorted to wine."

With a shake of his head, Fletcher folded the looking glass and stored it away in his coat pocket.  Indeed, the crowd was beginning to grow more restless, their collective voices crescendoing.  He didn't have to strain to hear the word Turgall flying around. "Good, the farther that army goes, the less trouble we'll have here.  This is a place of learning and wars have no business being here."  Ironic, coming from a gunsmith.

TreeFolk

Ailbe jumped, startled by the appearance of the man... She had been so wrapped up in the crowd, not considering that anybody was paying attention to her. The man looked rather fancy to be any good with a knife, all tailored clothing and neatly combed hair. She'd dealt with rich folk before, mostly the mages she helped her family sneak out on to the ships, but that didn't mean she was comfortable around them.

Looking up at him, she hesitantly shifted her grip on the fishing knife to mimic his before shoving it back in her belt. "Gutting fish, not meal prep." Should she use honorifics with the man? He certainly looked to be well above her own station as a fisher, but then again not many people above her station lived in her village. There was the village elder and a few guards, but not many else. "Thanks," she added.

Jounin64

Aldwin stashes his knife away as well. "Don't thank me, I'm only doing my duty to help the innocent defend themselves." He looks curiously at the once drawn knife then looks her in the eyes. "Now I do quite wonder, why draw a weapon now of all times. There is a mob of people nearby, and they seem on edge. Do you know something that most do not, or are you just merely expecting the worst?"

The Witch Doctor folds his hands behind his back, and walks up next to the woman. Staring towards the tower, he continues. "Because if you are expecting the worst, I guarantee you, it won't nearly be as bad as the reality." Aldwin then offers his hand. "I can show you a safer place to hide, than the open. I only request a favor in return."

TreeFolk

Innocent. Ailbe felt resentful towards the word. There were many ways that she was not innocent. Many ways it had been taken from her. Seeing ones entire family be killed, taken captive, or escape in exile hardly made one innocent. Smuggling fugitive mages away illegally hardly made one innocent, either. But she probably appeared innocent to this man. She was a small young woman, traits that often had men mistaking her as delicate when some of them first asked for her hand in marriage. But in the context of her current situation, Ailbe was innocent, even if she didn't know it.

The question set her on edge, but what came next sent a chill down her spine. The way he said it made her feel very uncomfortable, and she stared down at his offered hand suspiciously. Ailbe might be young and naive to some of the ways of the world, but growing up during the war and in a fishing village had taught her to distrust strangers. She could hardly tell him that she had thought she was being tracked by a man and a woman who somehow knew of her involvement in smuggling mages away. But she was also unsure how she felt about being asked a favor.

Looking up at him, she bit her lip nervously. "Yeah, an' what favor is that?"

visualspice

As Jack was pushing his away away from the crowd, and the tower, he couldn't help but peer over his shoulder and saw that strange woman again. He grit his teeth, muscles tensing.
"She's like something out of a horror story you tell children before they sleep at night. A strange fisherman far from the sea...."

Yeah, he definitely didn't want to stick around longer than he had to! And with the crowd murmuring over the Turgallian army, which was now at the peak of their conversation, the speaker went on to ensure them the army had successfully been chased North, and that more soldiers are being stationed throughout all the major cities to ensure their is peace and safety.

That being said, there were already extra soldiers and guards in the town patrolling the outskirts of the masses. And the street Jack had wanted to go down seemed to be crawling with too many guards and not enough peasants. So he simply turned around.

"We might need to go the long way home," Jack muttered, eyeing where the fisherman girl was and trying to avoid getting to closer to her and.... some new friend she was talking to! He KNEW it. He grabbed Fiona's arm and pulled her close ot him before ducking with her into the shadows of a building.

"There she is again!" he whispered. "And she's contacting some strange man to help her." His eyes narrowed on them, and watched them with a judging stare.

And while so many were paranoid in the square, high above them in the tower Cullen was holding his own glass of wine, sipping it once before keeping his gaze glued to the crowd. But at Fletcher's words, he simply said, "If only war'd would listen. Greedy bastard, that one." And to that, he lifted his wine and finished the glass.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Fiona yelped at the sudden grab but allowed Jack to pull her into the shadows. She pressed a little closer against him, eyes darting over the crowd warily while she sort of half hid behind his body. "What makes you so sure she's after us?" she murmured.

The crowd alone was enough to make her all kinds of edgy. Jack's supposed spy- or whatever- was certainly not helping things.

Jounin64

This question caused a chuckle from The Witch Doctor. Though with his mask on, his facial expressions were hidden from the world. "Clever girl, but I cannot answer that question so in the open. All I can say is that it will help keep you safe, It will help keep me safe, and it will help keep many people in need safe."

Keeping his hand extended towards her, Aldwin then asks. "So do we have a deal? If not, I recommend you forget you ever met me."

TreeFolk

Ailbe still didn't like taking a deal when she wasn't certain what her obligation to him would be. Making a deal with a man in a rather scary mask reminded her of some old folk tale, where the human was tricked into a covenant with the fae. Before they knew what happened, their entire life was overturned.

But... It seemed like something bad was going to happen here, and that this man intended to be on the living end of things. She herself needed to stay alive long enough to find Cullen and rescue her family. Ailbe still hesitated in taking his hand, tentatively taking a hold of it, her small hands calloused and strong from her work. "I want the chance to negotiate whatever this favor of yours is when we're not in the open, then. If not, then I'm sure I'll figure out some other way to stay alive."

visualspice

Jack saw the two shake hands on something.
"Look... they're working together!" he hissed. "Oh man..." he cracked his neck and looked back towards the crowd, which was still as restless as ever. "Yeah... I think it's time to make our exit. Come on!" ANd he turned around again and tugged Fiona in another direction.

DragonSong

She didn't need any more encouragement than that, nodding and falling into step beside him as he tugged her along. "Please tell me we can get to your house quickly," Fiona said quietly, nervously, glancing over her shoulder with every other step.

visualspice

Cullen was still enjoying his wine when he noticed something outside the window. The priest from the city's church had come out and was commanding all these people to disband. The greased-black haired man couldn't help but smile as, after some reluctance, the crowds did part.

"Looks like we might have our Day of Respite yet." He set his glass down and nodded to Fletcher. "It was very lovely sharing a view and drink with you. I hope your study's here are prosperous." And he moved to exit down the long winding stone staircase of the tower.

Jounin64

These hands...so delicate yet so course. So small yet so much hardship. Maybe this woman isn't as inexperienced as I first thought. Aldwin thinks this to himself has she allows him to take her hand. The Witch Doctor very well knows that body parts like the hands tell a lot about a person, but he also knows that with magic like his, those stories could be lies too.

Breaking out of his train of thought Aldwin nods. "Fair enough proposition." He then grips tighter on her hand and begins leading her throughout what he knows of the city so far, and eventually leads her to the music shop in which he entered from. "This store will be safe for us, trust me.'