Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Room with a View

Started by visualspice, March 17, 2016, 02:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

If only Ailbe had known that she was mere moments away from seeing Cullen again, she might not have followed the suspicious man through the city. He pulled her along, the grip on her hand making her anxious. Eyes darting about, she tried her best to keep track of the street names and buildings they passed by. While she was an expert at navigating the ocean and the surrounding landscape of her small fishing village, she was not as confident in her skills at navigating through a city. If it came down to it, she could perhaps just figure out her bearings and head west through the city... But that could have her winding up somewhere even more dangerous.

Trying to keep her anxiety from her face, Ailbe followed him into the shop. A frown creased her lips as she looked around the shop... It seemed just an ordinary music shop to her, which made her even more suspicious of the man. She could hear the muffled sound of music coming from what seemed like the underbelly of the shop- perhaps someone was practicing in the basement? Even so, she positioned herself so that she was close to the door.

Crossing her arms, she shifted in her fishing gear, uncomfortably warm. "Alright, what is this deal you're tryin' to make? And what's so bad that's gonna happen? And why would ya choose to keep me safe of all these folk in this city?"

visualspice

Jack got the pair of them out of the crowd and to the lesser part of town. Though not as grand in appearance as the main square, it still held a lot of tall and proud buildings that followed along a few small tributaries that fed into the Matron. It was across the small bridge and east they went, down towards the docks, then beneath them, to where it seemed a whole other world was revealed- for the section where Jack lived was the underbelly of the city, and it was evident only the poor, or seedy types, lived there.

"Come on, home sweet home is even deeper underground," he said, making his way towards a stone staircase.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Fiona paused, taking in their new surroundings. "Under- under...ground," she repeated with no small amount of trepidation.

Taking a deep breath, she gave herself a brisk shake and followed after him. Her wings shuffled nervously under her corset, a habit she'd thought she'd lost years ago. "How much further then?"

visualspice

"Probably further than you'd like," Jack admitted, and continued to guide Fiona home.

OOC: This ends Fiona and Jack's interaction in this thread :D but the link above is for those who wish to read up on their hi-jinx XD
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Jounin64

All these questions just get responded with a simple chuckle. "You are quite the curious one aren't you? Well once we enter the shop, everything I tell you will remain hushed." Aldwin opens the door to the shop. "If you can't keep this a secret, then I will find a way that you can."

The Witch Doctor motions her to come in as he enters. Once they're both in he closes the door behind them. "To answer your first question, I need a map. I don't care if you draft one yourself, buy from a cartographer, or even steal one, I just need an accurate map of Uthlyn. Do this for me, and I'll protect you. As for why you, merely the whims of fate brought you to that place and time, and just that."

Aldwin glances towards the cellar door then back at Ailbe. "I think its best to wait until we trust each other for me to answer your second inquiry."

TreeFolk

Ailbe did not believe in fate, or at least did not want to believe in fate. If fate existed, then hers had been a cruel one thus far. But what he requested did not seem unreasonable for a promise of safety. What a map in the grand scheme of things? He was not asking her to kill anybody or to put herself at risk, and surely getting her hands on a map would not be too difficult. And should it become difficult, what was holding her to keep such a promise? As long as he did not actually do anything to actively keep her safe, then by her standards he owed him nothing. She did not owe him the map until he upheld his promise of keeping her safe. It also meant that he might owe her something if she delivered the map to him before whatever he thought was going to happen, happened. And if it did not, she would have done him a favor for no reason.

Ailbe's eyes followed his towards the cellar door, her back still at the door. "What's in it for me if whatever you think is comin' doesn't?"

visualspice

There was a lot to do, a lot to be done. Cullen wasn't going to waste any more time here. There was plenty enough reason for Uthlyn to rise up in protest and flood the entire place into chaos. He would't need an army for this, just a little shove. And the world would come tumbling down.

So long before the rest of the masses were breaking up for the night, Cullen had his hands in his pockets and was sauntering off to his place of rest. He saw a couple nervously looking around and nodded to them, "Good day we're having. Should be a beautiful night. And the Day of Respite is nearly at hand!"

The couple tried to smile about it, but they still looked frightened. He continued to walk on past them, all smiles. They had very good reasons to be afraid. And the day after Respite, the only masks the people would dawn are those of their own fears and frustrations towards the crown.

Jounin64

Aldwin looks Ailbe straight in the eyes at this question. "You are very lucky that I am a patient man, some people would have killed you for asking all these questions by now. So let me bring light to this situation, whatever I think is going to happen, will happen because I am in control of it." The Witch Doctor folds his hands behind his back and starts pacing. "The only way to stop this from happening is if I'm dead...and I'm a very hard person to kill, so getting me this map will ensure your safety from what I know will happen." Aldwin stops a foot away from her. "Do you understand?

TreeFolk

A shiver ran down her spine, certain that he was not a man she would like to cross. He certainly seemed powerful enough to cause something great enough to warrant this kind of proposition. Still, Ailbe scowled at him, tilting her chin up at him obstinately. "Oh yeah? Well some folks woulda killed me because I didn't ask questions. You're just some strange man I just met on the streets, and I'm just a girl from a small village. My Da taught me better."

She frowned and crossed her arms, steeling her jaw when he stopped just a foot short of her. Amber eyes leveled on his face as she forced herself to stare him down through the mask, feigning fearlessness. "But yeah, I understand. I'm stubborn, not dull." She walked to the door and opened it up, wedging her foot in between the door and the doorframe as she looked over her shoulder at him. "I'll get you your map, mister."

Shouldering herself into the door, she stepped out of the shop and into the street, hearing the door shut behind her with the clanking of the bell attached to it. Taking one last look back at the shop, she took off into the street in pursuit of the map. How she would procure it yet was not entirely certain, but perhaps she would circle back to the building she had been at before. Surely she would find a map among the books, and perhaps she might bump into Cullen along the way.

visualspice

The Haberdasher was an interesting little pub, with a quaint atmosphere that was stifled only by the tension hoovering over the city. The man made simple hats and served beer, and also was connections to a friend of a friend Cullen needed to advise.

Nothing was ever spoken, naturally. Cullen simply ordered the right amount of booze to get his message across. And with each sip, the whole of Uthlyn would be none the wiser.

Jounin64

once Ailbe left, Aldwin double checks for any curious onlookers before opening the door to the sewers. Within in it his agent stands there with all the abominations soothed to sleep.

"Good work, but soon they'll need to be waked. I have someone procuring a map for me, once I have it be ready to flee, because once I have it, I'll be preparing their release."

TreeFolk

Ailbe wove through the streets of Uthlyn, doing her best to remember the way she had come before and the way back to the shop so she could return with the map. The closer she came to the city center, the easier it became to find her way. The streets became littered with bits of trash and articles of clothing, evidence of the disgruntled gathering she had witnessed before.

Once at the building she took the steps to the door, opening them and entering the dimly lit entryway. Just as she stepped forward to ascend the stairs a middle-aged scholar appeared at the top of the stairs, glaring down at her.

"Get!" He shooed her with his hands as he took the stairs in a hobble, "Get out, you street urchin! You know we give no handouts here!"

Ailbe looked down at herself, realizing that she did, indeed, look like a street urchin. She was young and unkempt from her travels, still carrying her raincoat and wearing her rainboots. She had never been mistaken for anything other than her father's daughter in her village, but to this man she was a complete stranger... And a rather poorly kempt one.

Raising her hands defensively, Ailbe tried to explain herself, "Look, mister, I'm just lookin' to find a map o' the city."

"To do what with? To be able to steal from the citizens better?" The man grabbed her by her shoulders and began physically pushing her out the door.

"No... I just-" She had no time to explain herself as he pushed her out the front door and onto the street.

Stumbling down the stairs and back onto the street, Ailbe turned just in time to see the man close the heavy doors. Running a hand through her hair and walking backwards, she released a frustrated sigh... Well, next option was to ask around to see if anyone knew any map makers.

And the first place she came across that looked promising was the small pub Cullen happened to be in. At first she didn't recognize him as she sat down in one of the booths, what with his dyed hair, but the longer she sat and stared at him the more she was certain that it was him. Heart in her throat, she tried to remain as relaxed as possible so she wouldn't draw attention to herself. Pushing her auburn hair behind her ear, she sat down beside him.

Uncertainty tinged her voice as she asked in a quiet voice, "Cullen?"

visualspice

He feigned indifference when the woman approached. He was a handsome man. And he knew it. But when she spoke his real name, he stopped in middrink to eye her up, then casually observed the room.

"I'm sorry, I believe you have me confused with someone else."
But he had to wonder who this woman was. Judging by the looks of her, she was well worn from the road.

TreeFolk

"I..." Ailbe swallowed heavily, suddenly extremely anxious now that she had managed to find Cullen after her long search. Fumbling in her raincoat's inner pockets, she produced a small, tarnished silver pendant with a seal on it... Her family's crest.

Placing it in front of him, she was quiet as she presented her case to him. "My father, Alroy Nevin, and older brother Lorcan... They smuggled mages for you to Serendipity from a small fishing village on the coast. You visited once some time ago... But your hair was blonde then. And we did not speak." She hoped he would remember her father's fiery red hair and see the resemblance in her own hair and features.

She worried at her lower lip, her amber eyes bright and imploring. "We were caught... They came and took my father and little brother Padraig, but Lorcan escaped out to sea with your recent group of mages. There were two women with young children..." Fisting her hands in her raincoat in her lap, she stared hard down at her lap, her jaw set tight as she bit down the tears. She was no longer a child. She was a woman grown, and had to be strong for the sake of her family. "I had nowhere else to go, nor did I know anyone else to seek out..."

visualspice

Cullen tried to remain calm as the woman went on with her story- and thankfully in a lowered tone. He shifted a bit closer, stole a glance around the room. It seemed no body was really listening, nor cared. But the woman had said far too much out in open than he would have liked. So he scooped up the coin and pocketed it as he gave the woman a smile.

He still had to drink another beer to get his point across, but now this woman brought... complications.

"That's a very interesting story," he went on, forcing a smile and masking anything else upon his face. He finished up his beer, ordered himself another and took another drink. He regarded the woman carefully, and when the bar maid walked passed, he caught her by the arm and told her, "I'll need a room if you've got it."

She looked at him,t hen to her boss, then to Cullen again.

"I'm sorry, I'm not sure what I can do for you. We're all full up."

Cullen looked over at owner as he knocked back more of his beer. Then he smiled over at the bar maid.

"I don't need it for the night." He turned to look at Alibe as he gave her a wink. "Maybe just a couple o' hours."

The bairmaid blushed and rushed off to the owner, all the while Cullen contemplated when to finish his cup. His eyes never once left Alibe, studying the dirty girl before something metal was slipped beside him and he picked it up, pocketed it and finished his cup.

Rising from the table he told her,
"Come, you must be tired from your long trek on the road. A bit of fun ought to do you right good, girl. And not just for you, but me as well."

Not giving her much time to reply, he took her hand within his own and began to lead her towards the stairs that lead up to the room. He just hoped she wouldn't make a fuss-
Or be upset that he didn't want to sleep with her. Gods only knew he had to discretely get her the hell out of that room.

TreeFolk

When Cullen's demeanor seemed to stiffen and he discretely surveyed the room Ailbe began to catch on to her mistake. Of course in the fishing village she had always expected people to be nosy and listen in on their chats, but here in the big city she hadn't given it a second thought. Nobody had shown her much attention besides the scary man from before, and so she had assumed that city folk stayed out of one another's business. And now it was clear she had assumed wrong.

Shutting her mouth tightly, she tried her best to play along with him, though her heart fluttered angrily in her chest in humiliation. When he made the suggestive proposition she hoped that he did not really mean to do as he said, but it was something she would play along with until they were out from under prying eyes. She, too, needed to keep a low profile. So she blushed appropriately and ducked her head when he pulled her up and across the room towards the stairs, looking and feeling like a young harlot preparing to bed a strange man.

Once in the room Ailbe's eyes darted around, keeping her back to the door and appraising him nervously. Her hands clasped in front of her, fingers wringing together in her anxiety. Swallowing heavily, she spoke, "I... I'm s-sorry, mister, but..." She steeled herself, eyes both fierce and frightened. Squaring her quivering jaw, she forced herself to look him in the face, "B-but, seein' as my pa's business was helpin' you out, I thought you might know how to help me out. Look, I ain't lookin' for no trouble, promise, and I certainly ain't lookin' for you to help me like... like that..." She bit her lip as her eyes flitted to the bed, the furious blush of a virgin coloring her cheeks. "But, as I said, you're the best bet I have."

visualspice

Unable not to counter her denial to wanting an intimate time with him on the bed, he found himself grinning and poking a jest her way.
"Oh? Skinny little thing like you couldn't use a good bed for something?" He slicked a hand back through his hair, and after a moment, he recalled just why he had been avoiding that the whole week.
"And here I thought I was irresistible... handsome even..."

TreeFolk

Ailbe crossed her arms over her chest, blushing brighter and puffing up her chest "I'm tougher than I look, alright? Just ask all the lads back home that thought they'd suggest the same thing t'me. I'm not no won-ton woman." She said the word like one who had only ever read it in a book before, but she stuck to it.

"My Da says don't matter how handsome a man is, that he'll try just the same, and I ought t'wait until I meet a lad with smarts and a good work ethic. That he has t'live up t'my brother and my Da, so ain't many men who'll do that." She chewed her pretty lower lip and continued bluntly, "Plus, I got bigger fish t'fry than t'worry myself with bedside matters." Gods she had a big mouth when she was nervous around handsome men.

visualspice

In spite of the seriousness of the moment, Cullen couldn't help himself but smile.
"It seems you're Father's got a pretty smart head on his shoulders." He looked her over, but not once the entire time did he seem nervous around her. Nor seem threatening, flirts aside.

"You know coming to this place was dangerous... not to mention foolish." But he didn't miss a beat, presuming she'd cut in with some long winded conversation where he wanted to keep things rather... limited. After all, as much as he wanted to trust her, it was hard to tell whose side who was on these days.

"Coming to find me.... Well you had a good hope and thought behind it, has probably lead you into more danger than you realize," And here he paused to see if she was following him before he went on. "Now I have no doubts in who you say you are. I haven't forgotten what happened to your father and your people. It's the same story everywhere and the same things me and my men have to traipse around in order to make any sort of progress without being sniffed out and stomped on like an ant." He continued to study her, adding, "You look like you could use a good night's rest." It as a comment off the cuff, really.

TreeFolk

She was not to be diverted from her path, but she listened to him all the same. "Don't bother me none..."

She paused, breathed, and took the time to school her speech pattern away from that of a fish monger's child. It was difficult for her. "My Da says that the line between foolish and brave is a thin one. I'd like t'think I'm still walking the line between them, but desperation doesn't leave much room for caution."

He was right, she was exhausted, but she didn't necessarily feel she had the luxury of time on her hand with him. She could tell he wasn't sold on her story. "Doesn't leave much time for sleep, neither." She pulled in a deep breath again, trying to keep herself calm. Her mother always told her that she got louder and more long-winded when she was riled up, and that getting worked up wouldn't do her any good.

She tried to picture the calm waters of the ocean on a sunny day before continuing. "Mister, Cullen, whatever people around these parts call you, I know enough about all this t'know that my Da and my family don't amount to much to higher up folks like you. But they mean everything t'me. I'm not askin' for protection, not expectin' handouts, not beggin' you t'go and rescue them. I'm askin' you to help me learn how to do it on my own. Or point me in the direction of someone who might."

Her amber eyes were fierce, and though she was young she had experienced enough to not be overly naive. "They're my family, and I'm the last of us with freedom to do something. I plan to use it or die trying. Was comin' t'you in this big city here foolhardy and dangerous? Might be. But it's worth it to me."