Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The bird and the jewel maker (Dragonsong)

Started by Mephistel, April 08, 2016, 03:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephistel

On his side, Crow had been back in his room, making new experiments while the little fairy was sitting on his shoulder, sometimes yawning a little and looking at Crow with curious eyes.

As Risa got home, his father had just closed the shop for the day.

DragonSong

She took a deep breath. "Papa? Can we talk?"

Risa and her father moved up to the second floor of the shop, which was actually their home. She sat her parents and brother down an started to talk, explaining Crow's offer

"So...you won't be working in the shop anymore?" Kenai, her little brother, said slowly when she' stopped talking.

Risa sighed. "I don't know. I mean, we didn't really talk about specifics, but...I think I'd be spending most of my time working as his assistant." She looked to her parents. "I- I really want this. I think I could be good at this."

Her mother and father exchanged a look, then turned to her.

So Risa found herself back in front of the large, ornate gate the next morning, biting her lip and once more facing the guards.

Mephistel

The guards looked at her, frowning again.

-Are you here to see the young master again? We received word to let you in if you came back...-

The guard said, moving away from the gate and opening it, letting the girl in.

-Follow the path straight to the manor and don't wander...ask a servant to bring you to the young master's room...-

He warned her.

DragonSong

Risa swallowed hard and nodded. "Um, yes. Th-thank you," she murmured, slipping through the gate and starting along the path.

She forced herself to focus, but before she knew it she was in front of the door. Taking a deep breath, she raised her hand and knocked. "Ex-excuse me? I'm here to see Cr- Master Crow?"

Mephistel

One of the maid opened the door, looking down at her. She raised an eyebrow but since the guards had let her in, it seemed she had been invited.

-Follow me...-

She said. The maid turned around and started to walk at a fast pace. Time seemed to be important around here and she seemed to be in a hurry. She led them to the room she had been to before and lightly knock on the door.

-Master Crow...you have a visitor...-

The maid said. The young man turned his black haired head toward them and nodded, motioning for Risa to come in. The maid went away.

-Come in...

DragonSong

Risa crept warily into the room, then belated ducked into a half curtsy. Was that the proper greeting? She really wasn't sure.

"Hello again, milord," she said quietly with a small nod.

Mephistel

Crow was working with some of the plant he had collected the day before, putting them into small powder and putting the resulted powder into different small pot, which were then labeled with the proper name.

-I'm glad you came...so, did you finally decided?-

He asked, finally turning his black eyes toward the girl.

DragonSong

She hesitated a moment, then nodded once, firmly. "Yes. I- I want to learn, if you'll have me," Risa murmured.

She tried for a small smile. "I just, ah- there are some technical details that need to be worked out, I think."

Mephistel

Crow nodded. He was please that she had chose not to waste her power. He stood from his chair and motion for the girl to follow. They walk to an inner garden. The sun was passing trough the glass roof, making sure the plants had enough sun light to grow well. He walk to a small table and sat next to it, inviting her to do the same.

-Indeed, there are...mind to tell me your name? I don't believe you've told me yet...-

He said, slowly, locking his eyes into hers.

DragonSong

"Oh. Risa." She smiled softly, blushing and clasping her hands behind her back. "My name is Risa Serrin. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir." She bobbed into another quick curtsy, but this time she was smiling a bit.

Mephistel

-Right...Risa...nice to meet you too..-

He said, nodding slowly.

-Now then...since you'll be working as my assistant, you'll be paid of course, at the end of each week...you can either live here or back at your house, I don't care, as long as your up at 5 in the morning, here and ready to work...also, you will need clothes you don't care to dirty while working...so I don't want you to come crying to me if your dress is all dirty because you messed up with a potion or something...-

He said, quickly, but clearly. Apparently, that man didn't like to waste time.

DragonSong

Risa's eyes widened at the sudden influx of information, then she nodded quickly. "Um, okay."

She bit her lip. "Could- do I have days off?"

Mephistel

He stood there, looking at her, as if he wasn't sure he understood what she had just ask. It seemed like Risa had just asked him the most unreasonnable thing in the world. After a moment of surprise, he pushed away a thread of his hair from his eyes.

-A....day off...ri...right...people do these things huh...-

He said, apparently this question hadn't crossed his mind at all. He seemed to be think for a moment. He hadn't taken this into consideration and felt a bit ashamed that he hadn't. He was a workaholic, it didn't mean everyone was.

-Right...how about you take sunday and monday then...does that seems good to you?-

He suggested.

DragonSong

She smiled and nodded quickly. "Yes, that's perfect, thank you."

It would at least give her time to go home and see her family every once in a while.

Clearing her throat, Risa dipped her head respectfully and said quietly, "I didn't realized I'd be  allowed to board here- would you allow me to return home and gather a few things?" It would make things easier if she lived at her place of work.

Mephistel

-Well...yes, obviously...I'll be making the necessary arrangement for you living here...-

He said, nodding. He took out a feather and some ink, then started writing on a small piece of paper.

-Now hurry up...I'm eager to see what that potential of yours is hiding!-

He said, his tone this time showing a little bit of excitement, instead of the low and neutral habitual expression.

DragonSong

"R-right. Okay!"

Risa nodded and curtsied again, then turned and darted from the room and back through the manor. She made a few wrong turns, but eventually managed to get back outside and through the gate, nodding to the guards as she passed.

She didn't run exactly, but she was definitely moving quickly as she made her way back home. Her father was running the shop, so she slipped in through the back and made her way upstairs.

"Mama, Kenai, listen..." Risa explained that she'd be living at the manor during the week as she packed up a few things- enough to get her through the week at least, she could bring more when she had her days off.

Her mother hugged and kissed her and Kenai ruffled her hair as she slipped back outside and mad her way back to the manor. This time she was a little more confident, nodding and smiling at the guards before hefting her little pack and striding up to knock at the door.

Mephistel

While Risa was away, Crow was making the preparations for her room. Of course, he would need his father approval beforehand. Usually, he would just let him do whatever he felt like, as long as he brought good grades from university. He knew how he wasn't muscles like his brother but at least he could boast about the intellectual side as well.

Crow knew that he was. He didn't care much about it. Walking toward his father quarters, he knocked at the office and got in. His father was a very tall man, with an impressive shape and a large chin.

-What is it?...-

He asked. Levyssen Godwing wasn't exactly in the best of terms with his so, but he still considered his intellect as valuable, since so far, Crow had only perfect scores from his studies.

-I like to borrow a room for my new assistant...Her name is Risa Serrin...She will reside here during the week for her work...-

His father stopped what he was doing and looked up at his son. Crow didn't show any expression, more like, he was expecting a yes. His father sighed.

-Fine...but she is not to wander around without you...-
-Thank you father...-

He left and returned to his study. Ordering the arrangements for a room for when Risa would be back. The servant showed her the way back to Crow study room and he welcomed her back.

-Right, it's currently been prepared so can you wait a little before settling in? Leave your stuff in that corner there...-

He motion toward an empty spot near the door.

DragonSong

"Yes, of course." Risa nodded and tucked her things away, then straightened up.

"Alright." She looked at her new employer and offered a smile. "What should I do first?"

Mephistel

Crow seemed to be thinking for a moment.

-Hmm...first, I want to see toward which school your powers are oriented, from then on, I can help you developped them...so can you tell me more about what you do for magic? Even if it isn't much...-

He asked, motioning for her to sit at the table with him. He had taken ink and paper to take note.

DragonSong

She took a seat, brow furrowed in thought. "Well...I can shape the stones we sell. Not drastically, but better than people can do it by hand. Um..." She bit her lip. "I don't really use magic for much else besides jewelry making. Oh!"

She smiled as a thought occurred to her. "I can bend and shape metals without heating them first."