Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beyond the Border at Last [Fukurou, DrabberRogue, AveryBerry]

Started by AveryBerry, April 20, 2016, 01:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AveryBerry

Connolath was officially behind her now, and Ainsley let out a sigh of relief as the caravan passed the border, marked only by a weathered, and seemingly abandoned guard hut and an old sign that once probably said "Now Leaving Connolath" but now only said " ow  eavi   Con   ath". It was only a short rider further along the road, not even an hour, before they reached a small border town, the name didn't stick in Ainsley's mind, but the sign welcoming them to Serendipity did. Just out side of the town, it seemed that the townsfolk took it upon themselves to take care of it.

She collected her pay for the trip, a meager dividend for being a "caravan guard", though a 16 year old girl with not a scrap of armor on and only a dagger to defend herself could hardly be called a guard. She figured the caravaneers immediately saw through her guise, knowing a refugee when they saw one, and kicked a little money her way so she could at least get her own food for tonight. She was thankful nonetheless, and wandered from the caravan after helping to lay out some of the wares, to browse the rest of the market area of the town. It was still mid morning, and they'd be in town over night, leaving at dawn.

She considered using her pay to buy armor, something cheap and light, tough hide, or maybe even leather. She wouldn't need to worry too much about food if she stayed on with the caravan, and looking the part of a guard a little more wouldn't hurt. Then again, maybe she would be better off staying in town a while, then setting off with the next caravan that came through headed south. Or maybe... she continued to wander the town's "market district" if the collection of stands between the few storefronts could be called such, it was not much different from home at least. Caught up in her thoughts, she wasn't really looking where she was going...

Fukurou

Using purified runic crystals to amplify the power of fire magic was a great idea on paper, Rylzyr thought to himself as he strolled through the market district. but it seemed to have worked a little too much. His brows furrowed in deep contemplation, making him look even more unfriendly than usual. Perhaps if I were to use un-purified runic crystals I wound't run the risk of burning down another forest... He rounded the corner. Despite the resolved look his face he didn't appear to be watching where he was going, which usually isn't much of a problem because most people would move out of the way of an intimidating tower of a person, especially when they had the eyes of a demon. But perhaps if I were to replace the runic crystals with a different magical substance, such as--"Oof!"-- Rylzyr felt something bounce off of him. He looked down and was faced with a tiny human who had stumbled backwards and onto the ground as a result of their collision. Rylzyr sighed and ran his hand through his snow-white hair. "Zharr'aahn I lost my train of thought..."

DrabberRogue

Jace had always liked markets.

Not particularly because he enjoyed browsing their wares, in fact it was rather rare for a vendor's merchandise to even catch his interest in the first place. The reason the young man was often drawn to the marketplace was more due to the people inhabiting it. Shrewd merchants and an array of different people haggled and argued over the value of various items, their heated debates fueled by a hidden underline of diplomatic strategy. Jace's natural (or rather supernatural) ability constantly fed him information on these struggles of wit, giving him a front row seat to whichever game of negotiation he decided to focus on. Even beyond that, markets were the universal place where almost any sort of person or item could end up, granting him a medium through which to learn about all sorts of interesting and different things. In short, the boy was never without entertainment in a marketplace.

Which was why Jace had decided to spend his first morning in Serendipity exploring the town's miniature market district, idly strolling through storefronts and past stands, eavesdropping on some of the more interesting debates between buyer and seller, and eagerly listening to any stories the market's various merchants were willing to share with him. Even the market's patrons were more interesting than he was used to, the demographic being more varied in comparison. So interesting in fact that Jace began ignoring the competitive chaos occurring around him and simply began observing the people around him instead. It was while doing this that the young man's attention came upon a being far stranger than any other he'd seen.

The...well, Jace didn't quite know what the charcoal skinned being was, wasn't hard to miss as he (Jace assumed the being was a he) strolled around a corner into view, seeing as how he was at least a foot taller than everyone else in the market. Jace looked on with interest as the being, who didn't seem to be paying attention, collided with a much smaller girl, who also didn't seem to be paying much mind to the world around her. The young man snickered a bit to himself, the light sound covered up by the clamorous noise of the market. Needless to say he was rather amused by the lack of situational awareness that led to their mutual inconvenience, and he decided to continue observing to see how the encounter would play out. Or perhaps it was merely his curiosity, wanting to further learn about the charcoal skinned being by watching how it interacted with the girl.

AveryBerry

Crashing into someone pulled her quickly out of her thoughts and back to the marketplace, now that her butt was on the ground. "I-I'm sorry!" she quickly stammered after hopping to her feet, dusting herself off, "Iwasn'treally-ImeanthatIdidn't... see... you..." She trailed off as he eyes climbed the full height of the somewhat imposing figure before her, the charcoal skinned man towering over her. That she missed him in the first place was a mystery unto itself, but also, what he was raised questions. The man looked like a demon out of the old tales, but the way he dressed said "nobleman." For a fleeting moment she wondered if she could lift any valuables off him, and immediately disagreed.

She realized she was staring, his gaze looked somewhat grumpy, if at all perturbed, "I really am, ah, sorry about, that... sir?" she said, glancing away and collecting her tongue, she felt another pair of eyes on her, but where... she quickly scanned the crowd before turning her attention back to the demon noble, taking a half step back, "L-let me make it up to you, I can get you a good deal on your next purchase, eh? I have a bit of a, well a talent for bargaining, you see." She put on her best smile and gave him a little coax with her magic, a small degree of good favor, the arcane equivalent of a conspiratorial wink, and maybe a little bit of showing off.

As she waited for the response, she felt that prickle at the back of her neck again, like someone was watching, she glanced around once more, but, being as short at she was, couldn't see very far through the crowd.

Fukurou

Rylzyr crossed his arms and listened to the girl's rambling, his stony expression unchanging. Even when the girl swiveled her head to inspect the crowd, his stern ruby eyes remained on her. She seemed flustered, perhaps even intimidated by him. Despite this, she was quite charismatic and energetic, and even offered to help him get a discount on his next purchase followed by a smile and a wink. The desire to purchase something welled up from within Rylzyr, but was swiftly pushed away.

Hmmm. Interesting, Rylzyr thought to himself as he studied the girl. "OK then." He looked around at the stalls, searching for a target. He pointed at a jeweler's stand. "I want that sapphire amulet. Get me a good deal on it."

DrabberRogue

Jace blinked a couple times, unsure of what his tactical sense had just told him. It was possible for his ability to trigger on many different things, as long as they could involve some sort of tactics between different parties, including those in which one of the sides doesn't know there's anything like that occurring. For example, manipulation. Such a thing came in many forms, and was a little difficult to detect, but nevertheless he could tell when it was happening. The thing was, the tactics involved when one person manipulated another were usually somewhat complex, often involving a web of lies and half truths.

But what Jace had just observed was nothing of the sort. His ability told him that the girl had attempted to garner the charcoal being's favor, but he couldn't see how she would've done it. She merely gave the, he supposed he could consider the being a man for the time being, a charming smile and said a few words to the man. Could she be a mage? Was the first thought into Jace's mind as he silently tried to discern what she'd done. After all, they were now in Serendipity, a country in which magic was legal and very much normal. The young man tilted his head as the charcoal man pointed her to one of the merchants around them. Assuming that the man was sending the girl to that stand for one reason or another, Jace decided he would put himself in that general area. He got the feeling the man wanted her to negotiate for something, so he wanted to be nearby to eavesdrop. A little smile appeared on the young tactician's face as he slowly made his way through the crowd to an area close to the stand, his day was starting to get rather interesting.

AveryBerry

Ainsley felt her "magical line" slack as it was severed by the lanky man, she'd never tried to use it on an experienced mage before, she guessed that her attempt seemed brutish, clumsy, and obvious. The corners of her mouth twinged down slightly at the thought as her eyes followed the mans outstretched arm, her eyes landing on the shining sapphire amulet. She looked back at him and gave him another smile, "No problem mister, I can get you a deal on that no problem." She turned toward the stand and made her way there, a brief trip through the crowd, and she was there.

The stand was in fair condition, the wood was supple and new, The wares glimmered in the sunlight as they sat on quilted displays or dangled off ornate hangers. The shop owner was a shrewd looking old man, quite short and stocky, of Connlathian descent if the rogue had to guess, a taller, younger man wearing leather armor and holding an axe was standing at the side of the stall, asset protection, Ainsely assumed, as the two eyed her carefully. She smiled innocently, as she read their auras, both were mistrustful to a degree, but much more interested if she was going to buy anything, skeptical, considering how she was dressed, but hopeful.

She brushed against their minds with her magic, being more delicate than she was with the tall demon-man, softening their mistrust, strengthening their curiosity, before she even opened her mouth, "Good morning," she started, "I'm interested in your wares, that is to say my master is interested in some of your wares, you can see him there in the square, he's the tall one with the fancy clothes." She paused as the two men scanned the crowd and stifled a giggle when she saw their eyes travel significantly upward, "Yes that's him, he sent me to browse your wares for him, to pick out something worthy of his... stature."

The old man looked away from the man and swallowed, and Ainsley idly wondered if the man got that sort of reaction often, "I-I'm sure I can help you find something suitable for your... master, young miss." the shopkeep said, the guard has turned his attention back to her as well, probably keeping an eye on her hands, the joke was on him, her silver tongue was the real threat. "What is he looking for? Rings perhaps?" The old man offers.

The silvertongue makes a bit of a show of browsing the rings on display, throwing out a little pout of disappointment, "Mmm, no, not rings, perhaps something a little more concealable, we're traveling, you see, we don't want any undue attention from ne'er-do-wells out on the road. Perhaps a pendant of some kind?" she replies, applying more pressure with her magical influence, searching the nooks and crannies to  pull on emotions most beneficial to her. She glanced at the sapphire, "Something like this, maybe." she said, pointing at it, "Though I thought I saw another stall with a similar amulet across the way, for a cheaper price." She tenderly manipulated his emotions, jealousy, and pride, a dash of greed so he wouldn't want to lose a customer, so that he would believe her white lie. There was another stand, but they didn't have anything quite like this.

The old man glanced to the amulet then back at her, then back at the demon-man, then back at her, he was thinking. "...How much were they selling it for?" he asked after a moment, the competition must have been a softer spot than she realized, as his voice dripped with contempt.

"About two thirds what you're selling it for." She says, figuring a reasonable price reduction, coaxing him into being more willing by brushing a little more against that contempt, pulling up spite, and further jealousy. His aura was practically fuming.

"I'll give it to you for one fifth off." the old man said, keeping a cool negotiating face, though his aura was seething.

"One fourth off." She countered, suppressing his greed and pride, pulling emotions more favorable to her directly up; trust, confidence.

He chewed his lip for a moment, the wheels turning in his head, as she manipulated their spin, contact points and locations, "Deal. One fourth off. That'll be 75 gold."

She smiled and gave him the money, almost all of what she had. She thanked him as he handed her the amulet wrapped in a thin piece of leather. and slipped back into the crowd towards the mage clutching it tightly, the shopkeep was a miserly old chap, it would have been a major challenge to get the price any lower then she had, and a huge gamble, because now if the demon-man took off as soon as he had the amulet, she was up a creek, and would have to resort to caravaning again, hoping she hadn't overstayed their generosity.

She stepped out of the crowd into the small space where people were steering clear of the man, and held up the amulet, "Got it." she said, "75 gold." she held out her other hand, "I said I'd get you a deal on it, not buy you a gift, I'd like to be compensated if you don't mind. I swear on my life that this is the price I paid for it." No tricks, the told herself, not with him, if she tried to mess with his emotions he'd probably get suspicious, and she wasn't even lying. It occured to her as she stood there making soft demands of a demon-man, swearing on her life might not be the best decision. He may even just kill her and take all her money and the amulet.

Good plan, Ainsely, good plan, bet your money and your life on a stranger who you can't even influence because they're better at magic than you by huge margin.

Fukurou

Rylzyr took the amulet from the girl and held it up at eye level, examining it as the sun glinted off the face of the jewel. "I've been meaning to pay her back," he said with a soft grunt.

He traced in the air glowing blue symbols surrounding a six-point star. The sketch collapsed in on itself, forming a small wispy silver fox. The fox happily bounced around the mage's head, leaving soft trails of silver mist as it ran to and fro. As Rylzyr tossed the amulet into the air it let out a tiny chirp and jumped up to catch the amulet in its dainty paws before vanishing like smoke.

"Hmp." Rylzyr shook his head, crossing his arms as his narrowed eyes stared contemplatively at where the spirit once was. "I don't know what she does with all that crap..." His jewel-like eyes swiveled in the girl's direction. Right. The money. Ryzlyr dug through one of his coat pockets and pulled out a handful of coins. Without counting the money, he handed the handful over to the girl. "Anyway... This should be more than enough. Think of it as compensation for your time. However, be sure to count all of it. If I've cut you short, tell me." His eyes swept over the girl as if he were a general sizing up a recruit. "Hm.. Well, at least you have some potential," he said quite half to himself. With his stony expression and deliberate tone, it was hard to tell whether or not that was a complement or a condescending remark. Perhaps it was both.

AveryBerry

Ainsley watched with awe as the demon-man openly performed blatant magic in the busy marketplace, she instinctively glanced around to check for a Mordecai or a snitch running to tell the authorities, but besides a few glances the crowd as a whole remained unfazed, she remembered that this wasn't home any more, far from it. Her viridian eyes followed the fox with a faint smile, then, before it disappeared, and she waited patiently as the demon man gave her the coins, not bothering to count them and handing them over to her in a handful, a large handful. She pulled out the bag that kept her current money, and quickly slid them in one by one, taking a count as she did so, a little over 75 gold, but not by much. She glanced up after his last comment, confused as she slid the coin pouch, now bulging, back into one of the inside pockets of her over-sized long-coat, she couldn't quite discern the tone, and the man was good at concealing specifics of his aura.

She decided to be an opportunist and take it as a compliment, "Thanks, I guess," she replies, looking at him carefully as she considered her next move, "I'd be willing to work cheaply, if you need my services and... talents..." she paused for a brief nervous glance, old habits die hard, "we could work out a deal, we travel together and I can run errands for you in exchange for a little gold and maybe... if you want, you can help me work on my... talents." She dared try and alter his mood again, gently, not so drastically, just a smidgen, it was so much harder when she had to go in blind, as she was still having trouble reading his aura.

Fukurou

Rylzyr kept his gaze steady on the girl, but as she was talking he felt his mind wander off. What day was it today? Did I pack enough food for tonight or should I buy more? Would a copper metal act as a sufficient conductor in place of the crystals? Would it even work at all? Suddenly, Rylzyr felt a slight urge to say yes to something. His attention snapped back to reality and found himself staring at the girl who was looking at him expectantly.

"Uh, yeah, sure," Rylzyr said. Wait, what was I saying yes to?

AveryBerry

Enthusiasm bubbled through Ainsley, a wide smile spreading across her face, and she had to clench her fists to keep herself from jumping up and down. "You won't regret it, Mister." she says after taking a moment to collect herself, but when she opened her mouth again she couldn't stop the onslaught of words "I'll be a good student, I promise, I'll run any errand you need me to run. Do you need anything else before we leave town? When are we leaving town? Unless you live here, where's your house? Or are you staying at an inn? Which inn is it? I can bring the supplies you need right there before we go. Are we traveling with a caravan or on our own? Or what if there are other travelers who are going the same way? Ones that are like us?"

She whispered the last two words, and promptly shut her mouth, reflexively ending the conversation before any more magic talk happened. She collected herself again, stopping herself from going any further with the questions, instead studying her new... mentor? Master? Teacher? No matter, he seemed too aloof or perhaps absent minded to be plotting to use her for any sinister ends, though he was good at blocking his aura from her. That might be the first trick she'd ask him to teach her. Ainsley realized that she hadn't even properly introduced herself when they bumped into each other, "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself, Ainsley Triggs, silver tongue, sticky fingers, your new apprentice." she said at the next break in conversation, making a half bow with a slight flourish of her hand.

Fukurou

"Wait, what?" Rylzyr shook his head in confusion. "Apprentice?" He furrowed his eyebrows and rubbed the back of his neck. "Is that what I agreed to...?" Rylzyr glanced around the market. She didn't seem to be with anyone and she did seem rather... enthusiastic at the prospect of having a mentor. He waved his hand dismissively then crossed his arms. "Never mind that. You can call me Master Rylzyr. As for what we'll be doing... to be perfectly honest, I haven't thought that far yet."

Codex

How long had it been? 2 months? Maybe three? Kave couldn't remember. His mind was too hazy from all the travel to recall the length of time he had spent away from solid civilization. The large white furred bear slowly lumbered through the cobblestone streets as many people left and right were giving him the usual odd look for his appearance as a giant walking bear, with equally large armor plating and battle axe situated on his back. Kave slowly scratched his chin with his black claws before taking a look around for the first time since he had arrived at this town. The market place seemed to be the area he had unknowingly entered, evident by the large aroma of smells his highly sensitive nose started to pick up on...

Despite what his facial expression told others, Kave was overjoyed to finally be back in society again. The large mercenary had spent many months in the wild, tracking down and killing any remnants of certain bandit clan that had been terrorizing this region for a while. Aye, the job was long and not easy, but Kave had gotten his money's worth from it. The large bag of coin on his belt told others that much, but Kave wasn't worried anyone would be stupid enough to try and steal it from hi-. With a sudden sprint, a small man ran past the bear and quickly grabbed the coin purse. With a large growl, Kave cursed his own stupidity and reached out, managing to hook his claw in the mans color. He jerked his large arm back and had no problem lifting the man up. He faced him and simply said. "Don't you know it's rude to steal?" through sharp teeth. He quickly snatched the coin purse back as the man struggled not to wet his pants from this hulking beast. And with that over, Kave threw him into the crowd where he slowly hobbled to his feet and ran off...

He gave a quick snort, and observed the coin purse. Only, it wasn't the only one. There was a smaller one that the man had dropped as well. Confused Kave picked it up and observed his surroundings to find out who it must have belonged too. Then he realized the man standing next to him must have also been a victim to the thief's attempt on his money. But he had been too distracted by a young girl to notice. Not really caring about interrupting their conversation, Kave quickly tapped his shoulder. "Aye, I think you dropped this." He said extending his paw, holding the coin purse to him. Of course, Kave was a little surprised by the man's look. He sported an appearance what many humans would think a demon would have. With horns, and dark skin. However, Kave didn't think much of it. He had learned not to judge others based on their looks. He had much experience with that, seeing as the bear himself managed to stand out among common people.

AveryBerry

That answers that question, the guy certainly spent a great deal of his time somewhere off in his head, rather than in the here and now. Speaking of which, a man of small stature, though probably still taller than she, brushed quickly past Rylzyr, muttering an apology, but it takes one to know one, her eyes spotted the nimble fingers grasp onto Rylzyr's coin purse and deftly lift it from his person, whatever she was going to say would have to wait, first task of her apprenticeship; rescue the Master's...

Her thoughts stopped short as the man was yanked into the air by his next mark, a towering armored bear, white as snow, the haft of some large weapon showing over it's shoulder, she was too stunned to take a proper look. Before she'd made a move, the bear plucked his coin purse free from the thief's trembling grasp, as well as Rylzyr's, the bear reached over to tap Rylzyr on the shoulder, "Aye, I think you dropped this." He said to her new master.

She knew she was on the shorter side, even for a Connlaothian, but the two giants towering over her at the present made her acutely aware of her size. Her neck was starting to get sore from all the looking up. She rolled her neck and took a breath to calm her nerves. That was a talking bear. A walking, talking, armed and armored bear. Not an illusion, either, or else a very good one, for he even had an aura around him, much warmer than she expected, if she were honest. He seemed like he had a heart of gold under the armor, fur claws and fangs. He was much easier to read than Master Rylzyr; confidence, and perhaps a little naivete left him unguarded from her magical sight, and probably her other abilities, too. Not that she really wanted to try that out. That weapon, an axe, she now saw, was really, really big. "Thanks, Mister Bear." she says, reaching to take the coin purse, so that she might return it, "I was about to nab the thief myself, you were in the right place at the right time."

Fukurou

"Huh?" Rylzyr's eyes narrowed in confusion as his gaze darted between the bear and his new apprentice. It was true that his mind had been too preoccupied to notice the small thief bump into him and snatch his coin purse, but he never really expected anyone to steal from him due to his appearance. Regardless, the coin-purse did indeed look awfully familiar. Could it be...? Nah, it couldn't.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Rylzyr said with a hint of irritation coloring the tone of his voice. "My coin-purse is right..." As the mage dug through each of his pockets, his eyes narrowed even further as he noticed that every pocket was completely empty. "Tch.." Rylzyr scowled as a hint of embarrassment flew across his face. He snatched the coin-purse from Ainsley and shoved it into one of his pockets as he glanced around marketplace. "Thanks, I guess."

Codex

Kave simply raised an eyebrow when the girl reached for the coin purse and took it from his paw. He found her remark, referring to him as "Mr. Bear" funny actually. Most people wouldn't say anything about his appearance to his face, seeing as they were often too frightened to do so.

Kave crossed his large arms as the man searched through his belongings looking for the object that was right in front of him. He snorted when the man realized his fault and thanked him for rescuing his money. "No problem. I've had enough of thieves and bandits for a while." Kave told him, expressing an annoyed tone when thinking of his long and tedious previous job.

AveryBerry

Ainsley began to sense some tension between the two men, like a buzz in the air between them, and put her hands in her coat pockets, taking a small step back, though staying nearer to Ryzlyr, "Deal with those types often?" she says to the bear-man, she shifted uneasily, it was easy to consider her somewhat of a thief, she had a similar training and skillset, she just preferred to convince people to give her things rather then take them without notice. It was often advanced bargaining, but with the weak-minded it was as good as theft. As she waited for a response she scanned the crowd and stalls again, just staying alert, for both herself and her master.

Fukurou

Sensing the unease in the air thicken as Ainsley back in closer to him, Rylzyr let out a sharp cough. "Well, sir," he addressed the bear rather dismissively. "I appreciate your help but we must take our leave. Our caravan for Arca leaves at dawn."