Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Out of the Woods

Started by DragonSong, June 07, 2016, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

It wasn't until she 'd come to a stumbling stop in front of the small, tucked away door that Dusk came back to herself. She braced her hands on the wall of the alley, panting and looking around with wide eyes.

"St-Starhunter?" Had she lost the animal in her mad dash?

Wait- where the hell was she?!

Lion

[Starhunter is locked away in a stable so he can have some R&R]

Ki'adan met with Onjage, a slender woman with a half-shaved head and she was counting coins on her desk.  He sat down in the chair before her and threw the rag he'd found off the dead body on the table.

"Can I help you Ki'?" she asked him.  "You haven't written.  I have half a mind of just killing you right now."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

[Gooootcha]

Dusk whimpered quietly as she looked around again. She'd followed Ki'adan's thread, right? So where was he?

"Ex-excuse m-m-me?" Not knowing what else to do, she knocked hesitantly at the door.

Lion

The sound of noise at the door was disturbing. Nailbiter wasn't happy to hear that Ki'adan grew a tail.  Who else could be at the door?  And the sound of their tone was likely a trick.  He decided to wait and play it by ear.

"Go away. Nobody's home," he growled from the other side of the door.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Duysk could have cried. She had absolutely no idea where she was, and now that she'd let her magic run wild, even just a moment, she could feel the city pressing down around her.

"P-please," she begged quietly. "I- I don't kn-know wh-wh-where I am, p-please..."

Lion

Nailbiter opened the slot to look at the poor thing that was making such a racket outside the door.  While Ki'adan had been talking to Onjage, he heard the commotion and the growling barks that Nailbiter was hissing at.  Soon Nailbiter slammed the slot shut and turned back to Ki'adan, marching through the warehouse.

"You've got a tail, snag!" he hissed and gripped the Duhjari by his shoulder, wrenching him round.  The shiv was out and pressed against his neck.

"What the hell is going on!?" Onjage demanded.  "Nailbiter, hold that blade!"

"Someone followed this rat!  Now I'm gonna skin him!" he growled.

Ki'adan resisted the blade, holding onto the squat man's wrist.  "Let me see who it is!  I have a companion who is involved in this as well.  I told her to wait!  Fucking hell.  Put that damn knife away!"  Ki'adan shoved him away, holding his hands up warily.  "Her name is Dusk.  She's why I'm here."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk could here the commotion on the other side of the door and she shrieked quietly, falling back a step.

But that was definitely Ki'adan's voice. And he didn't sound happy.

"K-Ki?" She swallowed and had to wrestle her anxious magic back under control. "P-please, can s-s-someone tell me wh-what's going on?!"

Lion

The door swung open and a hand reached out, snatching Dusk by the hair and yanking her inside. Nailbiter's grip was firm and he had no sympathy for the mewling brat that was making all that unnecessary noise.

"Listen to me!  She's my friend!" Ki'adan growled.  "Let you go, or you'll regret it!"

Nailbiter scoffed and traced his shiv across Dusk's cheek.  "I might be inclined to make her smile.  What d'ya say snag?  Wanna smile?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Fear drove any coherent thought from her mind and Dusk forgot how to breathe, frozen in her captor's grip. She whimpered slightly at the feel of sharp metal against her skin, and her writhing magic slipped away from her in seeking tendrils, brushing up against the lives of those around her in a way that was so intense it almost made her knees buckle.

Her eyes searched Ki'adan's desperately, a silent plea for help as she started to shiver.

Lion

But Ki'adan made no move. Not in the moment since Nailbiter was very close to giving her that grin he so easily promised.

Onjage however stepped forward and scowled at the stout man. "Let the damn child go!  She's a babe, and looks like she's going to wet herself.  If she makes a mess, by Kia you're cleaning it up!' she scowled.  "Put the knife down."

Nailbiter gave a grunt and shoved Dusk toward Ki'adan.  The Duhjari was not pleased with her performance, but really he hadn't known what he'd been expecting. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dual whimpered and stumbled as she was shoved forward, almost slamming into Ki'adan's chest before she managed to catch herself. Shivers wracked her frame and she wrapped her arms around herself. "I-I-I'm s-s-s-sorry," she whispered. "I j-just wanted- I th-thought..."

She bit her lip and fell quiet head down but eyes searching the strangers warily.

Lion

"Don't say anything " Ki'adan instructed carefully.  He put a hand gently on her shoulder, and kept her close.  "Are you finished Nailbiter?"

The stout man growled softly, keeping his gaze on Dusk.  "For now."

"No, for good," Onjaga said levelly.  "You make a ruckus again, and you'll be looking for work elsewhere."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk was more than happy to obey, keeping her mouth shut and shrinking closer to Ki'adan's side. She kept her eyes downcast, unable to look at the man who'd held a knife to her face.

Lion

Ki'adan kept himself in front of her, and led her to the back of the room.  He took his seat, and pulled up the stool beside him.  Onjage resumed her place, glaring at the both of them.

"So, Dusk, you have people trying to kill you, why is that?" she asked the girl.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"I-I d-d-d-d-don't-"

She was too nervous, she couldn't speak. She took a breath and tried again, slower. "I d-don't know."

Lion

"You better answer honestly, girly.  Or might just sick my dog on you after all," Onjage said levelly.

"She doesn't know any more than I do," Ki'adan said sternly.  "I'm not sure who is after us, but I found this on one of their bodies."  He produced the object and plopped it on the table.  "Look familiar to you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk whimpered and shrank back, but before she could protest that she really didn't know Ki'adan spoke up. She leaned toward him almost unconsciously.

Lion

"What is this supposed to mean to me?" she asked with a blank stare, taking the piece of cloth in hand and turning it over again and again.  "Unless you're trying to say something with hints, you better just come right out with it, Ki'adan," she said levelly.

"I'm not saying anything.  I just want to know if you know anyone that's been looking for me recently.  Or maybe someone like her."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk's arms went around her torso and she dropped her eyes. She still didn't believe someone could be after her- what could she possibly have done?

Lion

"Girl," Onjage said.  "Dusk, you would do well to keep your eyes on the situation at hand."

Ki'adan sighed.  "Look, if you're not going to help us, then Im sorry I wasted your time."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn