Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Out of the Woods

Started by DragonSong, June 07, 2016, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"S-sure." She offered a small smile and started picking at the food. "Anything that's not m-meat."

She glanced up at him through her lashes. "You, um...d-did you find anything out?"

Lion

"Nothing more than you," Ki'adan sighed.

"I'm not particularly hungry....but not eating would be worse if...things get out of hand," he said gently.  But he took a spoonful of the stew and ate quietly, eyes looking up and around them.  The woman said to wait here for something, but just what he didn't know yet...

"So...what are you going to do?  I mean, you can't stay with me forever."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Dusk swallowed again. "W-well..." she hedged quietly. "I suppose- I-I'll keep traveling. I'm still looking for...s-someone, I c-can't just give up on that."

Lion

"Okay, then we look for your person," Ki'adan said, without so much as a hitch. "I will help you. Because going off alone just seems like a bad idea. We stick together, yes?  Until the proper time to part."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

She blinked up at him, eyes wide. "R-r-really? You'd- you w-want to come with m-m-me?" she forced out incredulously.

Lion

Ki'adan gave her a singular nod. "I will help you insofar as it affects my interests. That, and because you don't seem like the kind of person that would needlessly cause trouble. Frankly, that makes me curious."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

A hesitant sort of smile curved at her lips and she ducked her eyes quickly, quistingba lock of hair between her fingers. "Thank you," she murmured, not quite looking at him but still smiling.

Lion

Ki'adan peered up at their surroundings, watching who was going in and out, looking for anyone that was unfamiliar. Onjage had paid for his room and board, as what usually came with when he did jobs for her. Now whether or not he might get anything in the future remained to be seen.

With his hunger sated, he could sleep for a week. Or so he felt. Ki'adan patted the table. "Okay, Dusk. We've got to get some sleep before we go out and asking more questions, yeah?" he said.  "You wanna come up stairs? Kick off your boots? This is a pretty nice inn, they've got everything here."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She glanced up at him, then nodded slowly. "Yes. I-I'm pretty tired," she murmured with a small wince and an apologetic sort of smile.

Lion

Ki'adan gave her a curt nod. Standing, he threw some coin on the table for the serving girl and made his way upstairs to his usual room. A double bed, simple furnishings but by far much nicer than what he had grown up with on the plains.

That was just no way to live.
"Go and make yourself comfortable. After a day like today, I can sleep like a goddamn rock," he muttered and sat down on a far chair to yank his boots off.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Um..." Dusk fidgeted, clutching at the strap of her pack. "Are you...s-sure?" She winced a bit at her own awkwardness- but there was only one bed! Large enough for two people, sure, but still...

When all was said and done, she and Ki'adan still didn't know all that much about each other. Wouldn't it be...awkward?

Lion

"Yes of course," Ki'adan sighed and nodded to her. He didn't care for wearing boots overlong. And as soon as his bare feet touched the floor, he was on them and flopped on the bed, looking at her strangely.

Oh right one bed. Well if she wanted she could always sleep on the floor. He preferred if she didn't, but that was entirely up to her.

"You don't have to be awkward. I'm about ready to pass out myself," he chuckled.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She tried for a smile, blushing deeply. "O-okay..."

Cautiously, she climbed onto the bed, kicking her shoes off before curling up on her side. "Ah...goodnight, then, Ki'adan."

Lion

"I mean unless you wanna fool around," he said, trying sound as serious as possible.  But the snort that soon followed was loud and he covered his face. "I'm joking. Sorry I couldn't help it. It's really awkward I know."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk squeaked and had practically thrown herself off the bed before his quick laugh registered. Face beet red, she perched awkwardly on the edge, mouth opening and closing but no sound coming out.

Finally, she managed to gasp, "M-m-m-maybe I sh-should just...s-s-sleep on th-the f-f-f-floor."

Lion

Ki'adan sighed and scooted off the edge of the bed. She really was just making a display of herself, truly.  But he had sympathy for her and he walked over to her to help her up. "Now, now. Sleep on the bed. You're absolutely in no danger in this room, and not with me," he said mildly and then wandered back to his side.

Flopping down he turned to face her. "Relax. Just sleeping. If you really want to sleep on the floor, I'm not going to stop you. But jumping off is just silly."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She flinched back from him a bit, but allowed him to coax her back onto her side of the bed and laid down again. "...Alright. I'll st-stay."

She knew she'd overreacted, but she couldn't help being jumpy. With a small sigh, she tried to force herself to relax and closed her eyes. "Goodnight."

Lion

"Sleep well, Dusk," he whispered and turned onto his belly to nestle his head into the pillow. He didn't bother taking off his gear, or his propped the pillow underneath his head.

He closed his eyes and like that he was out like a candle.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Dusk was asleep quickly, but restlessly. She tossed and turned, waking herself up twice when she almost rolled off the bed, forced to scoot closer toward the middle in an attempt to mitigate the risk.

She crossed her arms over her eyes and sighed, drifting back into an uneasy rest. Years of taught caution combined with inborn wariness made for a rather restless night.

Lion

Frankly he'd had enough of the tossing and turning about an hour into the evening and Ki'adan could feel the movement on the mattress as if it were an earthquake. Ugh, was she going to do this all goddamned night?

"Okay," he sighed, turning to her and shifting out of his belt and shirt, just throwing it where he left his boots. "Dusk, stop moving. Okay.  We gotta find a way to get you to sleep. Because if you keep turning like that, I'm not going to get any shut eye."  His eyes already were heavy and tired and his eyeballs ached.

"Okay, just...hmm. just lay on your back, and look at the ceiling. Just do it.  Look up at the ceiling and tell me what you see."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn