Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fell's Curse and just what makes a mage?

Started by Whim, October 05, 2016, 04:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

So its my understanding Fell's curse is a pretty serious deterrent from journeying to the region. Its permanent and sticks to anyone with magical power. Going off previously answered questions psionics, immortal magic, and certain biological abilities are exempt from this.

When it comes to things like alchemy or a spell someone might, for example, learn from a book... what makes a mage exactly? Would not using any of those materials while in Fell make you effectively a 'mundane person' thereby demon magic doesn't stick to you?

Thanks!
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Zane

In my opinion, what makes a mage is largely up to the writer.

Personally, I try to define mages by the source and flow of magic. For example. I wouldn't say that a street magician performing tricks using slight of hand is a mage, because there's no magic there, just dexterity and skill. A Druid, someone who has learned to channel the magic inherently found in nature would be a mage, because they learned how to apply pre-existing magic. A scholar who finds a forgotten tome that gives them dominion over a particular thread of magic would be a mage.

If you really want to go in depth, try to think about how the magic works. Such as Alchemy. Alchemy ala The Elder Scrolls is essentially just science- mixing ingredients to make compounds that have various effects. Whereas Alchemy ala Full Metal Alchemist is magic- imposing one's will over matter in order to alter is.

Again, it's up to you, as the writer, to decide what makes your character a mage. Just remember that your ideology and the ideology of your characters can and likely will differ from the ideology of other writers and characters, which is okay! Character development can come from that~

Hope this helps!

Tags: