Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Searching for Something [nemo]

Started by glorilyss, October 22, 2016, 01:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glorilyss

The coast was not Eira's typical haunt, but she had always been a curious creature. Driven to desert her family for lack of murderous intent and an overabundance of empathy, she had often struck out on paths that took her far from what she could have called home, to the ends of the known continent and all of the spaces in between. Still, despite her frustrations with her kin, despite her desire to be distanced by earth and tree and mile from those that did not share her views but shared her blood, she always found herself drawn back to the nation of Serendipity, even if she often found herself avoiding the prickly range of mountains that housed the Citadel of her sister's kingdom.

The thought alone brought a frown to the angelic features, the inhuman perfection of symmetry marking the blonde girl as something more than mortal. Of course, she could have been a fae or an elf or an angel - in a country like Serendipity, where magic was normal and respected, who could be sure of one's lineage? And truly, though the threat of dragons always hovered above heads, who would believe that one such creature prowled the streets in the shape of a naive-looking girl, tumbled curls of honey falling to her waist above a deceptively-plain white shift and a face as sweet as a carving?

It was true that Eira was beautiful - but then, so were many immortals. Even the sharpest scrutiny would not reveal a single hint of predatory alertness in the slant of her eyes or the casual movement of fluid, willowy limbs. She was short, but slim, with a shape like a willow wand and the grace of a river flowing from high to low. Still, most elves had that same casual fluidity, and faeries were known to be deceptively gorgeous. The fact that she was pretty and elegant gave no particular significance in a country that harbored those of magical descent; she was hard to pick out as different from any of the immortal (or less so) creatures in the busy marketplace.

The dragon-girl shied away from the crowded boulevard, turning instead down a narrow alley that eventually let out onto a broad street that stretched toward a fenced-in park. The very vibration of earth around her was a soothing balm to the tight-stretched nerves inside of her. Her ears had been sharp, picking up the murmured conversations about rampant dragons, though they hadn't touched these lands for several years. Her mouth twitched down in a hint of a snarl, wishing that she could protect all of her awful, ungrateful family from this speculation with a simple wave of her hand. However, her magic was simply limited to the manipulation of the earth, and it was this which brought comfort to her; as she stepped into the wrought-iron confines of the public park, her feet carried her to the nearest tree. It was a simple matter of physics that led her to collapse at the foot of the tree, but the liquid unfolding of limbs and the soft sigh of relief was anything but scientific. So, too, was the odd appearance of a blanket of brilliantly white flowers that sprouted where her hands hit the earth - but then again, this was always the way Eira reacted. When in danger, find the nearest tree and distract herself.

nemotunovi

In and out, in and out. The salted air and sound of tides was like an aria for Swaine's soul. Although this beach was different than the ones he frequented as a child, the ocean was always the same.

The rhythms of the waves was always an important part of communing with his goddess. Even though the sun shines bright her influence extends far beyond the dusk and darkness. These waves were physical proof of that. After months of traversing landlocked continents, this beach was a welcome stop on his travels, one he didn't think he'd ever want to leave. He sat patient in the shallow tides, allowing them to rap over him as he sank into deep mediation.

Slowly, Swaine returned to physicality. He awoke from his meditation into a clear night sky, with a waning gibbous shining overhead. He lost track of the time that passed from the start of his trance, but the spiritual fulfillment he felt was more than enough to justify the hours lost. Judging by his senses, it was only a quarter hour after dusk fell. He had reserved a room back at the inn in town, but couldn't muster the will to abandon the beach he found so serene. He stood up from the waves and brushed the water off his robes, soaking the dry sand beneath him and leaving his blue-silver vestments soft and dry.

Aimlessly, he wandered the coastline until he came across a frail woman sitting under a tree. At her feet, he saw a bed of white flowers seeming to dance under her silk dress. She looked lost in thought as her hair blew on the ocean breeze.

She looks troubled he thought.
Perhaps she's in need of guidance?

Gently Swiane approached. "Hail," he said to her, walking towards the tree she sat under "What brings you to the coast this evening?"
She looked caught off-guard at the word 'evening', as if she was just as lost to the grasp of time as he was.

glorilyss

The day had slipped by her in passing hours, each one melding into the other until the darkening shadows of dusk crept across the pale white of her shift and the paler shade of her skin. The thickly etched darkness of her the shadows of leaves from the tree above her cast alternating patterns of dark and light over the paleness of her shins, alleviated only by the diffuse light of setting sun through thickening cloud.

She had been thoroughly sunk into her magic, not so much conjuring as feeling the vibrant thrum of magic through every step that every creature took. So many people were oblivious to the faint hum of energy that coursed through earth and trunk and leaf, that was caught up in the world around them but never truly disclosed simply because earth magic was one of the most natural - no pun intended - forms of magic around.

It was the faint vibration of feet over the ground that alerted the girl to the approach of another. As her eyes lifted, glittering hazel in a starkly pale face brilliantly accented by the sunshine fall of curls around her shoulders, she felt a thin hum of magic from the other creature, something that simple humans would never have noticed but that those imbued with magic would be able to notice quite swiftly.

"Ah, well," Her words were soft, as was everything about Eira in the diffuse light of sun through cloud, "Who doesn't feel the call of the sea? Surely women feel it more strongly than men." Her eyes were frank and appraising, sketching lines of thought over the male's figure before her. She flicked her fingers, seeing every ivory petal turn to a brilliant shade of turquoise and indigo and cerulean like an imitation of the sea. "I've never seen you before, and I've lived in this area quite a while. You must be new." Her eyes were avid, a brilliant sparkle in the hazel depths, her body leaning towards the stranger with typical curiosity.

nemotunovi

Swaine grew cautious of this woman. As he stepped into her tides, he felt them blast against him like a tsunami to a harbor town. She was of a mild and curious temperament, not particularly malicious, but also hiding something. Her magic was clear on display, like a gallery of her potential open to all who could see. She was a strong one, a determined one, and one not to be trifled with.

Although Swaine felt crossed by her implication he wasn't as well attuned to the ocean as she, he understands the crimes of ignorance and allowed the mistake to slide. His religion isn't well-known among these lands, most people worshiping the sun, or a unique pantheon, or none all-together, so his vestments wouldn't be recognizable to the layman who might have never left the city.

"You're very observant, miss," Swaine commented as he settled down next to her. "I only arrived here the other night. I'm only passing through, though" He shifted his robes to allow more leg room and set his back straight so he could view the horizon. The moonlight was reflecting off the ocean surface.

"Where are my manners, though. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Swaine Cleary, arch bishop of Luna, lady of the Moon."

Swaine avoided eye contact with this new stranger. He could feel everything he needed to know through her tides.

glorilyss

As the man spoke further, Eira felt her face dissolve into the softest of smiles. He seemed relatively human, her favorite sort of being - otherworldly creatures, though invariably interesting, were always so difficult to understand. She supposed it came with having an extended lifespan and the secrecy that came with it, but to her, it was simply tiring. For a woman who had lived nearly twenty thousand years, secrecy could be so cumbersome.

"I should be," she demurred, casting her eyes to the ground. "In small towns and coastal cities, it pays to be perceptive. After all, port towns attract the most scurrilous and rascal-y sort of people." Her grin, when it flickered between rose-petal lips, was wicked, but disappeared quickly.

"I am Eira." She withheld her last name, for fear that others might connect her to the family of dragons who held little respect for human and humanoid life. She had worked for years to distance herself from the rapacious reputation of her kin, and though she loved them dearly, she had little desire for her closely-held secret to be discovered. "I am afraid I have no such liturgical title, but you can tell I am a lady of the earth." Her laughter was a charming ripple of sound, turning every flower from shades of blue to the purest yellow, reflecting moonlight and happiness in equal turns.

Her eyes, when she turned them to the man in front of her, were lightly lidded, but beautifully curious. "So, what brings you here? Of course, I'm sure the coast calls to you." Though not a creature with the ability to control water, every woman knew of the pulling power of the moon, and Eira had often looked to her pearly countenance for guidance, though none ever came. "I always thought women took the part of the moon. You are quite different from those I've seen." Her eyes were frank, traveling from heel to head, her eyes bright and the faintest glitter of white teeth in the rising moon clear between the edge of her lips.

nemotunovi

Swaine was slightly perturbed by Eira's secrecy, but with tides like hers it was understandable on how one might not want to reveal the source. Swaine contemplated her questions before giving her a satisfactory answer.

"The moon is fairly indiscriminate on who she chooses as her champion. As is the Sun, as are the Stars.
As for what I'm doing here, I'm a missionary to spread the gospels of Luna. After all,scurrilous and rascally people tend to need guidance most."

Feeling that was adequate, Swaine decided to turn to her for questions.

"So do you have a family that lives in these parts?"

glorilyss

Eira's smile was demure; her hand, as she flicked it skyward, relaxed. "True. We are all bestowed with her light, so surely we should know of her knowledge." Her eyes glittered with the reflected light of the heavenly body above as it rose above them, and its silvered light shivered over the planes of cheekbone and strands of hair, carving her into a statue of incredible stillness.

When the question of her family was raised, the girl paused a moment. What could be the problem in admitting part of the truth? No one had to know that the silver and gold girl propped against the tree was a dragon in the guise of a human, and so her words were carefully selected. [n]"Ah, well, I have family that lives near here. We all prefer the mountains, though."[/b]

Her hand reached out, patting the ground near her. "Come, now. You've no need to speak to me of the Moon; I know her touch already. Come, tell me about your journey here." A smile glittered in the lines between her lips, curving upwards in the moonlight. "Tell me how you came to Cerenis, if you please. I should like to know."