Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trying to find a place for Naomi

Started by Incognus, November 14, 2016, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Incognus

I've been working on a character named Naomi Vayne and have been having a little trouble finding a place for her in this world. I suppose I could just stick her anywhere but I want it to fit her lifestyle. She's a pirate, so I wanted her to originate from some sort of sea faring nation, one with lots of islands and coves etc. An area that would allow piracy to flourish. The only two Island nations seem to be Yoreiq and Thanatos.

The former is a people of dark skin and most have wings, both of these attributes Naomi lacks. The nation is also only a six island chain and 2 months journey from the mainland. I feel the distance will make it hard to RP with any characters not native to the islands, plus it inhibits abundant trade which is a requirement for piracy to be a worthwhile lifestyle.

The latter is a group of a several islands, but the vibe I get from the description is that it's really only one large mainland with a few tiny and boring islands surrounding it. Also the culture of Thanatos is quite literally the complete opposite of Naomi's character. She could have been a rebel in society I suppose but it just seems like such a stark contrast if she came from there. Trading is bountiful however which might promote piracy.

To put it simply I'm just looking for some advice on what to do with her/explain her history a little better. I realize in the end it's up to me and I can pretty much say whatever I want and make it work, but I'm looking for ideas or opinions.

PS
I don't know if this would be possible, but perhaps a new area could be added to this existing universe? A gulf with tropical islands dotting the sea, where piracy is common and trade is plentiful perhaps? It would be a place not in control by any one power making policing the waters more difficult. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Caribbean or the Mediterranean sea. I know pirates aren't the most common thing in fantasy plots, but I think having an ocean filled with mythical monsters and vibrant coastal towns could make for a very good setting for lots of different RPs. Is there some sort of process for adding canon to the world?

Incognus

I just found some maps of SotE:

Spicy's Map
Rhi's Map

Spicy's map seems to show Thanatos as only a few islands while Rhi's is a little more island populated. Is there a final cannon map somewhere I could look at? I know Aeytrious was working on it here but it seems she dropped it when someone named Tally decided to take it up. But I can't find Tally's profile to pm her about it if anyone wants to help me here as well... I found Tally  :D But she hasnt been active for over a year  :'(

Kalak8538

Coastal Serendipity maybe?

I read somewhere (don't remember exactly where) in the lore that the Serenians don't have a large enough navy to protect their coastlines. This makes it a perfect prowling ground for pirates and such.

Tags: